[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Ming Dynasty 大明風華

sugarplum892

1 hour ago, poipoipo said:

Oh yes I know Jianwen was his nephew.. I meant that Ruo wei, nie xing and xu bin are working for someone called "emperor", who we all (I assumed ) was the deposed Emperor Jianwen.. BUT, turns out Huang Fu is working under the 2nd uncle, which means that Ruowei and co, were lied to . They were used into assassinating Emperor Yongle, by the 2nd uncle. But for what reason????

this is so confusing. I am watching the show with google translate subtitles which are more often confusing than not :(

can someone confirm this ? 

Also, is the younger sister going to turn out evil ? 

Sorry, my bad. :( 2nd uncle wants to be emperor so he has to get rid of everyone who is in his way? The younger sister will probably turn against FL. 

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, YEETpigeon said:

Sorry, my bad. :( 2nd uncle wants to be emperor so he has to get rid of everyone who is in his way? The younger sister will probably turn against FL. 

In the same trailer, the FL said “how can you do this? I’m your (blood) older sister.” It’s not a surprise that the younger sister will be evil as she grew up in the palace serving these concubines. Didn’t the story line say that the younger sister got deposed? I just don’t like that they wrote that both sisters married the same guy. That’s gross!! But I hope they fix the google translations!!

3 hours ago, A1mm3 said:

In the same trailer, the FL said “how can you do this? I’m your (blood) older sister.” It’s not a surprise that the younger sister will be evil as she grew up in the palace serving these concubines. Didn’t the story line say that the younger sister got deposed? I just don’t like that they wrote that both sisters married the same guy. That’s gross!! But I hope they fix the google translations!!

Getting deposed makes sense. That's what happened historically. Now that I think about it, it is rather gross. Don't like it either.

lol it's unrealistic to expect monogamy in historical dramas, esp when they're focused on the imperial family. that being said, feelings of disgust are perfectly valid. 

i'm totally confused about the motivations of the younger sister for wanting to marry into the imperial family. is it safety for her and gugu? is it a lust for power? it certainly doesn't seem to be romantic affection lol. is it simply because she believes she is beautiful and therefore deserves a good life? like... what's the deal??

I believe she just wanted or feel deserves a better life than what servants in the Royal Palace will get when they are old.  Being higher up is way better.

Don’t know what they will plan it out in the end, but hopefully not turned her to the dark side.  

the drama started off really good. but now its so slow.. i want more scenes of the ML and FL together but seems like its not really a romance story.. more like politics etc which is a shame because I thought it was more of a romantic kinda story :(

how come nobody can make another Eternal love!!!! ( mark chau and yang mi ) 

i dont know what the deal is with xu bin.. does ruowei like him??? is he like her boyfriend or something?

7 hours ago, crackaddict said:

lol it's unrealistic to expect monogamy in historical dramas, esp when they're focused on the imperial family. that being said, feelings of disgust are perfectly valid. 

i'm totally confused about the motivations of the younger sister for wanting to marry into the imperial family. is it safety for her and gugu? is it a lust for power? it certainly doesn't seem to be romantic affection lol. is it simply because she believes she is beautiful and therefore deserves a good life? like... what's the deal??

I'm confused of her true intention too. Probably a mix of everything - power, her past, etc. I forgot what episode she told her Gugu she wants to repay the debt she owes tai sun for saving her. In episode 18,

Spoiler

she asked Rouwei if she ever thought about revenge? She wants to marry tai sun and have his son so that one day when her son takes the throne, she'll tell her son who her parents were and how his grandparents died. She also suggested to Rouwei that she should also marry tai sun (implying that they should do this to take revenge).

12 hours ago, crackaddict said:

I don’t expect monogamy because it is an imperial story but what I don’t expect and like is the blood  sister marrying the same man. So how come the younger sister gets to be the empress and the older sister the concubine? Is it because her status is considered lower since she’s from outside of the palace? I know they’re following historical story of RuoWei rising from concubine to empress but if they’re going to change the storyline why not make her the younger sister instead of older sister?! The younger sister is a two faced power hungry servant. Ok, I get it that she doesn’t want to live to the norm of servants living average life and is trying to fight for a better life but gosh, she’s turning into a monster just like the people she serves. Well, guess that’s the palace. Survival of the wittiest. 

5 hours ago, A1mm3 said:

I don’t expect monogamy because it is an imperial story but what I don’t expect and like is the blood  sister marrying the same man. So how come the younger sister gets to be the empress and the older sister the concubine? Is it because her status is considered lower since she’s from outside of the palace? I know they’re following historical story of RuoWei rising from concubine to empress but if they’re going to change the storyline why not make her the younger sister instead of older sister?! The younger sister is a two faced power hungry servant. Ok, I get it that she doesn’t want to live to the norm of servants living average life and is trying to fight for a better life but gosh, she’s turning into a monster just like the people she serves. Well, guess that’s the palace. Survival of the wittiest. 

Oh, so the point that you're unhappy about is that the younger sister is being given the more senior wife position over the older sister? Just clarifying. I think the questions you asked about who decided that will be answered later. 

I am truly curious how they will work out the relationship between the two sisters. We're being shown that they're both very sharp but the Tang Wei is clearly the more "heroic" and upstanding one while Deng Jiajia is more savvy and understands how to survived the palace context better. What I don't hope to see is the sisters fighting for the affection of their husband because that seems out of character for Sun Ruowei and Zhu Zhanji. If that happened... it'd be like other palace dramas :crazy:.

Younger sister is being more savvy and politically inclined, if both sister is to fight, surely Sun Ruowei wont lasts fighting her sister.

Firstly, Sun Ruowei cant and wont take her lil sister out.

Secondly, Sun Ruowei is just not showing any great ability as people relations and politically.

This coming from Ep 1 to 18.

9 hours ago, crackaddict said:

^^I agree with you. Looks like Sun Ruowei will be depending on the "protagonist's halo" to carry her through the series lol. Hopefully, it won't be to difficult for audience members to bear. 

Coming from Star Wars Rey, hopefully Sun Ruowei not accidentally become too heroic to counter everything throwing at her with ease.  Just that, C Drama usually don’t push the boundary of their main heroine lead maybe except Empress in the Palace but that also pretty tame seeing how the FL wins it all.  Weiyang just a watered down version that female lead always need help.  So I have a feeling that Sun Ruowei will need those main Male Lead and that second lead Gege to get out situation card.  Probably her lil sister too to chip in.  Just my feeling.

is anyone here just interested in the zhu zhan ji and sun ruowei's love arc?? HAHA I cant help it I love zhu zhanzhi and ruowei together. I hope there are more scenes of them together??? and notmore politics :( 

also I have never seen zhu ya wen the actor before. he reminds me of Jo Jung Suk.. the Korean actor.is he popular? does anyone know ? 

and why are there not many people on this thread :( so sad.

Hi everyone! I've been watching with the Youtube subs and have a question about the end of Ep 10 (which I LOVED) - why did the emperor send the decree to interrogate all those people in the Crown Prince's palace (I'm assuming that's what it was - the translation is not very clear)? Why is he suspecting the CP now? Or are all these questions answered in ep 11?

New to the thread but not to Soompi. Hope you don't mind me joining in. I'm in love with the ML & FL, both witty, returning tit-for-tat, neither afraid of the other. Tang Wei and Zhu Yawen, as well as the rest of the cast, are doing a marvelous job. I'm looking forward to the drama's progression but surely hope Zhu Yawen isn't killed off until much, much later. 

It's obvious which son the Yongle Emperor favors because of his military prowess, but I also believe he is well aware of his shortcomings, too. He sees the (former) Crown Prince as weak & subservient to his brother, easily used by them, always ready to give up his title for his brothers who are jealous & greedy. The Emperor is very savvy & so, I think, he is setting the stage for a revelation of his sons' true intentions & ability to rule as a monarch.

9 hours ago, Takingthehighroad said:

New to the thread but not to Soompi. Hope you don't mind me joining in. I'm in love with the ML & FL, both witty, returning tit-for-tat, neither afraid of the other. Tang Wei and Zhu Yawen, as well as the rest of the cast, are doing a marvelous job. I'm looking forward to the drama's progression but surely hope Zhu Yawen isn't killed off until much, much later. 

It's obvious which son the Yongle Emperor favors because of his military prowess, but I also believe he is well aware of his shortcomings, too. He sees the (former) Crown Prince as weak & subservient to his brother, easily used by them, always ready to give up his title for his brothers who are jealous & greedy. The Emperor is very savvy & so, I think, he is setting the stage for a revelation of his sons' true intentions & ability to rule as a monarch.

me too!! hope he doesnt die too early!!!!  im watching this and crash landing on you at the same time!!! lol .. whilst waiting for the episodes to air

The thing that really bothers me (about myself) is that I find myself liking an Emperor who, according to history, really killed off quite a lot of people. And our ML did the same. I have a hard time separating fiction from historical fact. Nevertheless, I much prefer this drama than Royal Nirvana; at least, I laugh watching Ming Dynasty.

Another thing, the actor playing the current Emperor is so fascinating. Every line on his face tells a story; with just a glance he can convey so much emotion.

21 hours ago, bluehibiscus said:

Does anyone find the male lead’s hair messy?

:grin: welcome, you are not the only one wondered abt it, me too :glasses:. Also not only he I also noticed it on Xu bin. I wondered why they er amiking it messy may be to be realistic that they do t have time to comb.haha.

Archived