[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Heavy Sweetness Ash-like Frost 香蜜沉沉烬如霜

sugarplum892

8 hours ago, Sary Em said:
  Reveal hidden contents

No he does not.  The invitations for wedding was sent but war broke out as JM was used as a pawn once again by RY, as an excuse to lay siege on the Demon realm, lead by XF.  Honestly I think in the drama, they actually had JM & XF wed, just based on both their black clothing and embroidery on their sleeves look the same.  Unless it is added to the ending whereas after XF finds the reincarnated JM in the human realm.  They reunite and then have an official wedding ceremony in the Demon realm.  I remember in the novel JM stated that XF was happy but serious on their wedding day, but she birthing him a son he was over the moon.

Also with their son, I believe JM took their son to human realm to catch a bride in the drama but I think it was a different realm in the novel., where she encounters RY and we see how lonely he is as the Heavenly Emperor yet he was truly happy for her happiness; and XF frantically coming down to make sure his wife and son were safe from harm...hehehe I have a lot of theories as to how the drama plays out but still anticipate each episodes until the final episode 60.  Then I will have the worst withdrawl, oh the cycle of being a cdrama addict!!! LOL

SORRY i KIND OF WENT OFF TO SPOILERVILLE WITH MY RESPONSE

Thank you!!! I don't mind the spoilers hahaa! 

I've definitely been addicted to this drama too! I find myself looking for previews of the next episode on weibo 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, renjunnie said:

found another clip! this scene probably will air at monday episode.

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av29637980?from=search&seid=15371337283029509352

Reveal hidden contents

when Jin Mi died because of poison, and XF follow her in the coffin.

omg I don't think my heart is going to last past monday...

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

This series seems to be getting less posts than I expected. Ah well, that doesn't deter me. Moving over from Fuyao to Ashes of Love :D. I was a bit of an aimless soul in my post-Fuyao withdrawal. Thought I'd try a few episodes of this series to distract me until my next Fuyao posting, and wallah...totally hooked.

It's obvious the author has a clear influence with the storyline and the script. Comedy is difficult to deliver in itself (short of being Bob Mankoff or Chris Kidd). Comedy and Chinese poetic dialogue is simply amazing. I'm glad the author likes comedic writing and does it so well. A good example of this is:

Mortal Realm Arc, Hiding in the Mountains (episode 21): JM and FH communicating with writing, even though FH has already recovered his hearing and speech. The running commentary that JM gives is such a funny contrast to what she writes. Lots of FH

:rolleyes:. For example:

FH writes: Why does the doctor wear a veil everyday? 
JM's thoughts: *sniff in disdain* I look so beautiful, if I carelessly let you look at my unveiled face, what if my beauty stirs you to bad intentions? Wouldn't that mean seeking my own bad ending? 
FH thoughts: *cough, cough* 'Self-inflicted anxieties of simple people'.  
JM writes: 'The ugly face that has no significance, is not worth viewing'. 

The writing is poetic and demure, while the speech is far from it :lol:. I feel sorry for the novel translators and subbers for having to make sense - in often comedic context - of idioms.

I find JM's innocence and cluelessness really refreshing - this could so easily be overdone. Well performed by Yang Zi. In a fantastical Chinese period, the 'Heartless Pill'* is a plausible vice to explain the core misunderstanding. It sets up a dilemma between being ignorantly happy versus confusingly and agonisingly in love. I don't expect JM to develop feelings despite herself. She represents the core misunderstanding, while those who understand revolve around her. It makes for many funny moments, but can be used as a metaphor for how misunderstanding is a big part of relationship development; whether in or out of love. However, it's great that the Mortal Realm Arc manages to keep the romantic direction alive with slow assaults and cracks on that 'Heartless Pill'. It feels like a clock is ticking towards the emotional impact of the Big Wedding.  

*I'd interpret 绝情 as heartless rather than unfeeling. Google is not always correct :P.

Something that I've noticed - both from the novel and series - is the depth of material on the medicine. I'd take a fair guess that the author is obsessively interested in or is formally educated in Chinese Medicine. The multiple references and depth of understanding worked into the story is just too obvious to ignore. Examples: when FH first wakes up and grabs JM's wrists and says she is female - he is discerning her gender from the pulse. Reincarnation of Rou Rou being named for the herb Qiang Huo and JM implying that it is used for a 'male problems' :lol: (that's rather farfetched for it's function, so I feel sorry for Qiang Huo in this case). JM using Chinese Medical terms as innuendo for the FH's 'male problems'. JM taking FH to process Fuzi in the mountains at night (it's aconite, which is extremely toxic in it's raw form so JM's intent fits). FH later - when he is getting a massage from JM on the daybed - using the processing of Fuzi as an analogy for JM to understand what he thinks about the political situation. (He initially described it in philosophical/military terms, but a clueless expression from JM makes him change tack). This is not the author's fault, but JM looked like she was kneading bread rather than massaging FH's shoulders :lol:. Okay, it didn't top the moment when FH sighs: "I don't like women"...the look on JM's and the guard's face! 

I have been wondering about the veils. It seems like the longer the veil, the higher in status as a physician in the Sacred Physician Tribe. For some reason, it makes me think of old men with long, white beards. The longer the beard, the greater the experience. Not necessarily becoming for the lady physicians. 

Despite the Kleenex worthy moments near the end, this series is definitely a bag of laughs. So many LOL moments while I'm watching the series. It helps that Yang Zi has such command in comedic facial expression. Which contrasts perfectly with Dun Lun's dour expressions and eye rolls. 

• Like 8
  • LOL 1

They wont go back to heaven until ep. 33-34 or something. The wedding will be really late. 

12 hours ago, angel318 said:

Hi Everyone!!

Does anyone happen to know if Phoenix actually marries Siu He in the novel? I see that wedding scene in the demon realm and I'm like noooooo :(

He doesn't in the novel but it looks like he is getting married to her in the drama. There are pictures of both SH and JM with dark wedding gowns so people thought that he imagines JM as he is marrying SH while others think JM will interrupt the wedding and that is when they reconcile. 

17 hours ago, Kimchi Sweet Potato said:

@mrsyooknit yes, she does it to protect him.

Reveal hidden contents

she sees the attack coming from Run Yu and flies in front of him to protect him

Thanks for the clip, Jin Mi looks badass flighting with Sui Hi. But yeah, when Phoenix protects her and attacks her with fire, I love how his own Phoenix feather protects Jin Mi from himself. Sorry for repeating myself. Can't get over it.

Btw, I've been late to work almost every day the past week thanks to this drama. No regrets though.

Lastly, this is only my second time watching Deng Lun in a drama. I watched Sweet Dreams while waiting for HSALF and didn't think much of him. But in HSALF, I think he is just so swoony :lol:

I think Deng Lun fits the sweet guy roles. Like when he is smart but he is in love with the girl and he does a lot of sweet things for her like Because of You and HSALF. In Sweet Dreams he was playing the cold CEO and that doesnt fit him. His best moments on Sweet Dreams were him just being cute and sweet. 

He is seriously swoony in this drama, all his little smiles and love filled eyes <3

• Like 8

Not a lot of people bc we dont have official subs yet. If subs were coming out from DF/Viki then more people would be seeing it.

I think Viki will take a while :( Could be the type of license that you have to wait until it finishes airing in China like Untouchable Lovers. Also the team subbing it on Viki is the busiest subbing team on Viki, they have a lot of projects. Probably the fastest subs are going to be those coming out of that other place that licensed it. But Viki will have higher quality subs, which will take time. 

• Like 1

I can't wait! The mortal realm trials seem to be ending in the next few episodes. The story is getting better and better!

I don't know if anyone else has seen episode 31 but my gosh, poor Run Yu, this is why he's going to become evil for revenge. Can't wait for the next half of the drama!    

• Like 1

@SeGafanlady Thank you for sharing the clips with english sub. I love their scenes in the mortal realm. 

7 hours ago, renjunnie said:

found another clip! this scene probably will air at monday episode.

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av29637980?from=search&amp;seid=15371337283029509352

Reveal hidden contents

when Jin Mi died because of poison, and XF follow her in the coffin.

Oh my.. I cried already watching this short clip. I am going cry even more when the episodes actually comes out. :bawling:

In today's episode, (in my opinion) it explains why Night becomes extremely evil, look at what happened to his birth mother. The heaven empress is soo cruel with her red lipsticks. 

It's soo sad in the preview for tomorrow's episodes when Phoenix comes says his goodbye and ask Jin Mi to wait, he's going to come back after war. :bawling: :heartbreak: Breaks my heart. She's not gonna be there when he returns. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

The dialogues in this drama are so hard for my basic mandarin that I can't completely grasp what they're saying (especially all those lovely poetry lines) 

I get the gist of the story and what's going on but I feel like I'm missing out on the beautiful feelings they convey through words. Though the actors do a really good job portraying it and doing their own dub (a lot of ancient series get other people to dub them)!! 

If you haven't seen this already...

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, angel318 said:

The dialogues in this drama are so hard for my basic mandarin that I can't completely grasp what they're saying (especially all those lovely poetry lines) 

I get the gist of the story and what's going on but I feel like I'm missing out on the beautiful feelings they convey through words. Though the actors do a really good job portraying it and doing their own dub (a lot of ancient series get other people to dub them)!! 

If you haven't seen this already...

At the risk of sounding blood thirsty, finally it's going to happen.

@Nudafu what I've noticed the last two weeks is interest has certainly picked up among international fans but not many are talking about it in forums such as Soompi. But like @mrsyooknit said, also to do with the subs as well.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Wotad said:

Anyone else not started and waiting for viki?? i hope to see some discussions xd 

I personally do not have the strength to hold out. However, I do plan to rewatch the series once it's completed and I will wait for the Viki subs then. The quality would undeniably be better and I think it would give a different insight with dialogues translated more deeply.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mrsyooknit said:

Not a lot of people bc we dont have official subs yet. If subs were coming out from DF/Viki then more people would be seeing it.

I think Viki will take a while :( Could be the type of license that you have to wait until it finishes airing in China like Untouchable Lovers. Also the team subbing it on Viki is the busiest subbing team on Viki, they have a lot of projects. Probably the fastest subs are going to be those coming out of that other place that licensed it. But Viki will have higher quality subs, which will take time. 

VIKI stated the Ashes of Love first video will start Aug 19th which tomorrow.  I think might upgrade to premium member to just watch this drama and The Eternal Love 2 without the interfering of ads.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wotad said:

Im waiting for viki then ill talk alot . 

Funniest sentence I have read in the entire year :lol:. I have a feeling it wasn't meant to be funny, but the best humour is innocent humour. It even matches the writing style of the novel and series dialogue! Bravo.

8 hours ago, mrsyooknit said:

I think Viki will take a while :( Also the team subbing it on Viki is the busiest subbing team on Viki, they have a lot of projects. Probably the fastest subs are going to be those coming out of that other place that licensed it. But Viki will have higher quality subs, which will take time. 

Not a lot of posts is fine. It's the quality of the post that counts to me.

On Viki Chinese-English subbing: I figure they prioritise series based on complexity of dialogue, availability of volunteers, editing process, and popularity of the series. I've read about Viki turn-out rates of less than 24 hours! As someone who knows the process, that is not only amazing translating but great team work. So maybe when they finish other major series, the subbing speed might pick? 

Love your avatar @mrsyooknit. JM getting her bunny ears in the Demon Realm is one of my favourite scenes. Hoho, I wanted to believe as much as JM that they were replicas of Jade Rabbit's ears. 

5 hours ago, angel318 said:

Understandable. That's why I don't envy the Chinese-English subbers for this series :D. I think the author-scriptwriter has simplified the dialogue for this series compared to the novel. Thank heavens! But not all the time - FH's explanation in military terms to JM was real mean in complexity. I can't wait to see how Viki subbers translate that.  

3 hours ago, Kimchi Sweet Potato said:

I personally do not have the strength to hold out. However, I do plan to rewatch the series once it's completed and I will wait for the Viki subs then. The quality would undeniably be better and I think it would give a different insight with dialogues translated more deeply.

@Wotad and @Kimchi Sweet Potato, maybe recaps might help. Dorayakiz seems to be recapping the series consistently - recaps are up to episode 20. Brief account of major scenes. Surprisingly a great read (because grammar is great and it's written in mostly active language). Reminds me of Star Wars Clone Wars 10min cartoons :lol:. Don't expect swoony poetry. 

I forgot all about Bilibili. Thanks @turtle0217 for reminding me with that video link. So much more and complete BTS on Bilibili. I'm waiting to see if anyone subs the BTS. Love BTS and interviews (good interviews). Sadly, not many series related media is subbed. 

• Like 4

I can try to sub the interview when my time frees up! I think I saw the one with the fast QA like 3 times because their interactions are just too sweet. Gosh it makes me want to ship them but I try not to ship since it almost never happens 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 2