[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Pretty Man 国民老公

sugarplum892

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Hello Everyone! Today December 20-26 2018 I have watched "Pretty Man" on netflix. Yes, I finished 28 episodes within 6 Days cuz I'm such an addict for telenovelas in Korean, Chinese and Japanese! It is a beautiful show it also has nice songs my favorite song was sung by Li XiRui & Xiong Zi Qi So I would totally recomend this show to you because it is such a beautiful show that I hoped there will be a Season 2/Part 2 of it cuz in the last episode its seems like Xiangsi is carrying Jiamu's baby and she was just pretending that she's married and got pregnant by another man. As for Anhao/QiaoQiao and Jinnian in the ending Ruchu asked Anhao to deliver the milk to Jinnian's mom and I think it has sleeping pills on it. 

For people/s who lived in China kindly inform me if there is a season 2 of Pretty Man coming. Thank you!! It would be my pleasure to thank you if yo informed me about it.

-A fan from Philippines

On 12/27/2018 at 12:57 PM, elsanna said:

How did you guys found eng sub for manga... I tried to find it but couldn't find any...

It’s usually listed under “bringing home the nation’s husband” or something like that.

heres a link for the first 33 chapters:

https://mangakakalot.com/manga/guomin_laogong_dai_huijia

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, laurapachuca07 said:

Dylan xiong will return to reprise his role as he male lead. And li xi rui will not return to pretty man 2. :D:bawling:

Read that another actress will take over the lead female role. I don't know if its a new role or if she's taking over Li Xi Rui's role. At the very least I'm hoping the writer aren't writing a new role for her so that Dylan's character will have a new love line. His character was so in love with the female lead for all these years.

• 3 weeks later...

I really fell in love with them from the very first episode. The actors who perform the shoots are wonderful. I am not a follower of the Chinese drama, but this drama is really wonderful. I love it very much, but why it is not complete?

• 2 months later...
Spoiler

Pretty Man 2 is set to come only 2019 according to a dramalist under Dylan’s drama. It’s a new actress who will portray Sierra Li’s Character. Same character different actress. It’s the girl from King’s Avatar. So I am pretty excited for the part 2 since the last episode we have too many questions that need answers. 

Pretty Man 2 is set to air Sept 23rd!!! YAY!!! 

I read that Sierra Li is not returning to reprise her role as Qiao Qiao because the actress left her agency. I don't know why she can't reprise her role unless her agency is producing the sequel. That was the answer I got in many of the comments in the Pretty Man 2 trailers on YT.

9 hours ago, visiopeia said:

I just watch ep 1 for Season 2 .. so the story didn't continue or it did? it seems confused me... hahahahhahahaha

I don't think it's a direct continuation of Season 1 per say. The questions from the ending of Season 1 is addressed, but Season 2 also retold some of the plot lines from Season 1. However, they added additional characters not from Season 1 but from the novel like Qiao Qiao's (QQ) elder cousin/sister who's a psychologist or psychiatrist.

In the novel, Qiao AnXia (AX) is in love with JinNian (JN) too. She is QQ's 'older sister.' Her parents are the aunt/uncle that took in QQ when her parents died so they were brought up together in the same household and raised as sisters. Both girls fell in love with JN but as we all know, JN has had eyes and in love with only one 1 particular girl all his life. QX deludes herself to think that JN likes her. As in Season 1, JN & QQ have a huge misunderstanding due to JiaMu's (JM) mom interfering. They are separated during college up until they reunite when QQ becomes an actress and comes across JN. However, in those intervening years of, JN occasionally meets up with AX and asks about QQ. AX deludes herself to think JN is meeting up with her, but he doesn't. He only meets up with her to see QQ only to find out the QQ doesn't show up. QQ attends college in a different City than where JN is filming. 

The misunderstanding is that JM's mom arranges marriage between JM & QQ. JN finds out and asks JM to confirm which JM does confirm. JN gets heartbroken, and that night, QQ meets up with him in the City where he was filming. She finds out from JM that JN has someone he likes. She asks him about it. As he's heartbroken because JM tells him that his family arranged a marriage between him and QQ, he replies to QQ that "what does it matter to her, it's not her he likes" or something to that effect. She also gets heartbroken, and stops visiting him and hence the beginning of their misunderstanding.

As we saw in Season 1 of the drama, JM gets into an accident, and JN steps in the marry QQ pretending to be JM so the family business doesn't get effected. There are more kissing/love scenes in the novel for those interested. But majority (at least until they finally get married for real) are not lovey dovey because both parties are hurt by their misunderstandings/motives. They go through so much to be together (13 years I believe), before they finally marry each other and have a child at the end. Once they get married for real, their scenes are really loving and passionate. No more misunderstandings or holding back.

However, in the novel, a portion of the story is dedicated to JM and Song XiangSi (XS) as well as AX and Chen Yang (CY). There's +900 chapters. For those inquiring minds, CY is the one that was acting opposite of QQ in the beginning of the 1st episode that had a kiss scene in which JN was the "kissing double" for. He's also the same character that likes AX. They go through a lot in the novel to be together as well. JM's mom causes way too much trouble for JN & QQ in the novel than the former manager/agent of JN in the drama.

I would recommend reading the novel. It's more in depth. The drama version follows some of the plot lines, but veers off and and on throughout with their own twists and turns as well as character depth. In the novel, AX is not a psychiatrist. The novel has been translated into English. Someone in a previous page has posted the link to read it.{/spoiler]

• 2 weeks later...

OK. I am confused about this drama. I have heard confusing details about what is the plot for this drama? Someone say that the female lead is not the same actress, but different person? 

So is the drama just retell the exact same plot as Pretty Man Season 1 and substitute the new female lead actress into the exact same scenes of Season 1 ? Or is drama different story and continue with new plot starting from end of Season 1 and have all new scenes with the new actress?  Is it worth watching if you have seen Season 1? 

10 hours ago, Table122000 said:

OK. I am confused about this drama. I have heard confusing details about what is the plot for this drama? Someone say that the female lead is not the same actress, but different person? 

So is the drama just retell the exact same plot as Pretty Man Season 1 and substitute the new female lead actress into the exact same scenes of Season 1 ? Or is drama different story and continue with new plot starting from end of Season 1 and have all new scenes with the new actress?  Is it worth watching if you have seen Season 1? 

The female lead (QQ) was indeed changed. From what I've read based on the comments in YouTube was that the original actress in Season 1 who portrayed QQ left her agency. I don't know if this is related to her unable to continue with Season 2, but it's why the female lead was changed to a different actress. The actress who portrays the character of Meng Meng (QQ's assistant/BF) was also switched. Sometimes either due to scheduling or perhaps contract issues, actors/actresses get switched. QQ is the main female lead, so there was no way they were going to write her off due to the actress leaving her agency. So, they had to switch actresses. If it was a small role, perhaps they could have written her off, but she's not. Also, it would not have been in line with JN's character to be in love with someone else after all the obstacles he & QQ went through to be together.

The novel & drama differs slightly. Season 2 retells a bit of Season 1 but not totally. They do add bits of info that was shown in Season 1 into the backstory for Season 2. Both male & female lead re-enacted certain scenes that we saw in Season 1. They had no choice as they could not use Season 1 scenes in flashback as it's a different actress.

In the novel, the main antagonist was JM's mom. She kept trying to come between JN & QQ. However, in the drama, she's not so prominent in the story line. Also, Qin Yi Meng (QYM) is not a character in the novel. He is an added addition in the drama to create a love rival (but really, can you call it a rival when QQ & JN only has eyes for one another and has been that way for over a decade). 

QQ's sister AX is also in the novel as well as her love line with CY, but she was obsessed with JN until she finally 'woke up and saw the light' when she almost lost CY for good due to her one sided love for JN. In the drama, it was briefly touched upon when she first JN (her 'hero') but they dropped it all together real soon (which I didn't mind at all).

Also, the plot line of QQ delivering the fatal milk to JN's mom causing her to die is not in the novel at all. It is only in the drama to which I thought was stupid. They started this plot line at the very end of Season 1. Season 2 (the beginning episodes) does not address this yet. The beginning episodes is a quick rehash of JN & QQ's relationship (as we saw in Season 1) and their marriage. However, the milk story line quickly enters the pictures and takes up several episodes to conclude (including an almost divorce between the two as QQ thought it was the best solution between them as she thought JN was suffering being with her who gave the fatal milk to his mom to drink. She was suffering from guilt as well. 

Once the milk story line appeared, Season 2 branched off from Season 1 and told a different story with the same characters, so in a sense, it's not the same retelling of Season 1. 

Is it worth watching? I would like to think so. I'm currently still watching it (although I do like the novel better). Do you need to watch Season 1 in order to understand Season 2, I don't think so but it does give you a nice backstory to their history and why they love one another so much.

Some plots are cringy and weird (I think they were also trying to stretch it out for 26 episodes (from what I've read, this is the total number of episodes). To me, it would have been over in 15-16 episodes. Some scenes I was FFing because it just wasn't related to the storyline or main characters.

But, overall, I think you should give it try. Tencent (thru their YouTube channel--they also sub their other dramas as well) has the drama subbed in English. They are behind 10 episodes. They only have the first 12 episodes subbed, and 22 episodes have aired. I think it ends next week. The drama is aired Mon-Wed (2 eps each day). I don't know Tencent's subbing schedule, but it could be Wed-Fri (2 eps each day) based on last week's schedule.

@whome

Thanks for the information about Pretty Man 2 drama. I appreciate it.  From your post, it seem the beginning episodes are a retelling/summary of Season 1 with the new lead actress renacting the scenes and after the "recap" parts it then moves forward and the rest of the episodes are new story about what happen after the end of Season 1 cliffhanger.  Now the plot make sense to me.  As you say, the producers of the drama make it so that the new viewers do not have to watch all of Pretty Man Season 1 in order to understand the Season 2.  I will try to check this drama out at Tencent YT.

Hopefully, the new female lead is a good actress and have nice chemistry with male lead Dylan.

Archived