sugarplum892

photo pretty 16.jpg

Cr avirtualvoyage

Details:

Chinese title: 国民老公 / Guo Min Lao Gong
English title: Pretty Man

Genre: Modern, Romance

Episodes: 28

Director: Cheng Zhi Chao (Whirlwind Girl 2 旋风少女第二季)

Broadcast Period: 1/15/2018

Cast:

Dylan Xiong Zi Qi

Li Xi Rui

Zhao Yao Ke

Zhang Li Wen

Yu Yi Jie

Liang Bo Wen

Lucien Liu Yu Zhong

Synopsis:

It tells the love story of Lu Jin Nian and Qiao An Hao spanning 13 years. They first got to know each other in school, but later parted ways again due to some misunderstandings. Now, Jin Nian is the unapproachable king of the entertainment business while An Hao is a rookie in the same business. Fate lets Jin Nian and An Hao meet again and An Hao ends up becoming his fake wife.

Cr mydramalist

Click here to watch it on Viki!

**Please use spoiler tags for those who have not seen the episodes yet**

[spoiler ]enter your spoiler here without the spaces inside the brackets[ /spoiler]

Preview:

OSTs:

Additional Links:

Pretty Man 国民老公 Viki Episodes

Pretty Man 国民老公 Raw Episodes

Whirlwind Girl 2 旋风少女第二季 Official Drama Thread

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This show surprises me. I am surprised at how much I like it considering that it's thick with melodrama and a horrible very easy to hate step-mother figure.

Aside from the female lead, I wasn't familiar with anyone else. Admittedly I didn't think much of the male lead initially but after seeing him move into his adult, celebrity phase, I was a lot more impressed with what he brought to the table.

I've seen a few different C melos in the past 12 months and I think this is probably the best one. The writing is definitely the key thing here and it has a high level of coherence which helps. I've seen other dramas like Stay with Me and Royal Sister Returns with much bigger, well-known actors but they fell flat, the push-pull not as well executed. This one has similar tropes and cliches but it seems to work better.

Anyway, with 6 episodes left I'm hoping the horrible step-mother gets her comeuppance big time which is long overdue. Seem like JN's got a few things up his sleeve. The number of people she's exploited including her own son to prop up her company is just appalling. Words fail me. The way she's used her wealth and status to try and ruin JN and QQ's relationship since their schooldays is Cinderella worthy ... I can't say anything good about her... a sorry excuse for a human being. Her uselessly hen pecked husband is not much better with not a lot of backbone.

All in all a really fun show with a lot nice angst.

On 2/1/2018 at 4:41 AM, 40somethingahjumma said:

This show surprises me. I am surprised at how much I like it considering that it's thick with melodrama and a horrible very easy to hate step-mother figure.

Aside from the female lead, I wasn't familiar with anyone else. Admittedly I didn't think much of the male lead initially but after seeing him move into his adult, celebrity phase, I was a lot more impressed with what he brought to the table.

I've seen a few different C melos in the past 12 months and I think this is probably the best one. The writing is definitely the key thing here and it has a high level of coherence which helps. I've seen other dramas like Stay with Me and Royal Sister Returns with much bigger, well-known actors but they fell flat, the push-pull not as well executed. This one has similar tropes and cliches but it seems to work better.

Anyway, with 6 episodes left I'm hoping the horrible step-mother gets her comeuppance big time which is long overdue. Seem like JN's got a few things up his sleeve. The number of people she's exploited including her own son to prop up her company is just appalling. Words fail me. The way she's used her wealth and status to try and ruin JN and QQ's relationship since their schooldays is Cinderella worthy ... I can't say anything good about her... a sorry excuse for a human being. Her uselessly hen pecked husband is not much better with not a lot of backbone.

All in all a really fun show with a lot nice angst.

I agree. It  has been a while since I have seen a melodrama like this one play out pretty well throughout. I like how 28 episodes wasn't too long and not too short to tell it all. The main lead isn't too bad and same with the actress. There was some push and pull with these type of dramas but I like the sequence of events and how 13+ years made it all worthwhile. 

I second that with the husband who was no good throughout.. I find him the weakest character written out of all of them. 

The story was a bit bittersweet for me though and it was fun. I finished all 28 episodes today! Marathoned 16 episodes this past weekend. :) 

So I am anticipating part 2... why did they throw that ending at us.. -______- Though it makes sense as there are still lots of loose ends.

But what kind of ending was this?? I hear there will be two remaining episodes??? 

20 hours ago, angelangie said:

i know i saw English subs but they are slower lols

Eng subs at ep 3.. -_____- 

Did you finish drama?? what do you say about that ending??!

The vietnamese thread is making rumors that drama might have two more parts to it for a total of 90 episodes.. WOW.  And I am speading that rumor. lol

On 2/6/2018 at 4:56 PM, thunderman1 said:

But what kind of ending was this?? I hear there will be two remaining episodes??? 

It was a doozy of an ending. Surely that can't be it!

I certainly hope there is a second series because there are so many threads left up in the air, not least the OTP's relationship. I assumed that there was going to be another 2 because I saw it listed somewhere that there was going to be 30 episodes but the darn thing ended at 28! And on a cliffhanger too!

There's also Jia Mu and Xiang Shi's romance... Stepmother Han whose sins are piling up got off pretty lightly when her family bundled her off to Europe. 

What is this new trend in C dramas with cliffhanger endings and projected second series with no warning? :angry:

@thunderman1

Yeah, I was quite teed off thinking that I was pretty safe having come in right at the end. :( But no... it's a ridiculous place to end with no guarantee of a second series.

I think the chances of a second series are good because it seemed to be very popular but it's still very annoying.

Therefore I'm not watching anymore C dramas until they're complete. I'm glad NiF 2 had a proper ending as I expected it would but I'm not taking anymore chances with the new ones especially if they're over 20 episodes.

I hope we get a season 2 to give us closure at least. What kind of awful ending is that if there's no sequel?!!! There are times when I dislike watching C-dramas because many times they have very lousy endings, especially the dramas that have over 40+ episodes!!!! I'm still mad that Princess Agent ended the way it did!!! Thank goodness Ten Miles of Peach Blossom ended with a nice ending for the OTP!

17 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

@thunderman1

Yeah, I was quite teed off thinking that I was pretty safe having come in right at the end. :( But no... it's a ridiculous place to end with no guarantee of a second series.

I think the chances of a second series are good because it seemed to be very popular but it's still very annoying.

Therefore I'm not watching anymore C dramas until they're complete. I'm glad NiF 2 had a proper ending as I expected it would but I'm not taking anymore chances with the new ones especially if they're over 20 episodes.

Well at least it was only 28 episodes.. Sigh.  At least the episodes were complete hour long episodes. -______- 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

@40somethingahjumma I so agree I won't watch anymore C dramas I'm done unless it looks so good then I'll go to the ending to see if there is an ending before I will watch it because I am so angry over the ending to pretty man that if there's not a second season I will never again want to Cdrama I will stick with the K and the J and the other dramas and still watch the ending before I even watch the ****** beginning so I don't get wrapped in trapped in another one I can't believe I watch 28 episodes with no conclusion and that's the same thing they did with I love my president even though  he's a psycho and Skip Beat!! I should have learned from those but now I did and now I will not watch another C drama without viewing the ending to make sure there is a freaking ending and that's exactly what I did with the one I'm watching now Only Side by Side with You! Yes I actually view the ending to make sure there was one before I started watching the drama although it's really ticking me off and I really don't like this character's personality and I hope it gets better because right now he is ticking me off so bad and I'm on episode 5. And I don't review dramas unless  I am really ticked off about something or I really really love the drama those are the only two times that I review a drama

really draggy drama. they pushed 90% of the sweet moments to the last 3 eps.. and left all the angst and melodrama in the middle.. and considering it's only 30-32 mins per ep..  and dang the ending, they totally Princess Agents-ed us.. You shouldn't have a cliffhanger ending at all unless Season 2 is 200% guaranteed.. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@roli  Please let me know if you find that novel....   Dang this drama should come with a WARNING & CAUTION at least I should have come here first and read this thread....  Never expected an ending like that!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRS0BKdbUQXSer9Trnc-EKimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAv6ry5O0aSD9C8_AWq1e

• 1 month later...

Archived