[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

Premiere+Rating+Story+of+Minglan+5.jpgMTtIUVg.jpg&key=b9ec480d80b00c50f8b8572aimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3lKBiEq0ov0kdHWmuqVc

My first time posting on this thread about this drama that for me has been such a lovely journey so far.  It's a mixture of so many emotions and feelings that these characters and story stir up within.  It's a view and time span of where they were, where they are, and where they will be.  That life has twists and turns brokenness as well as happiness.  That you just never know what tomorrow will bring or that even greater happiness might await you.  It's all about living through our struggles and overcoming what fate often throws our way.  What makes this drama even more amazing is that this OTP having a real life relationship and becoming a family seems we get a happy ending no matter where this drama leads or for that matter how it ends...

Not to mention I think someone is showing us what an amazing Dad he will be...

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhVx12pF6LmAa_ChvTk6h  Just precious....:heart:

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, crackaddict said:

I like ZYL, but I am glad this QH's arc is coming to a close. 

I actually wanna talk about how great the supporting casts are and the interesting side stories. When we got to the Sheng family living in Yougang(?) it was nice to see the two sisters love each other so much. I saw that Zhang Hanyun made a guest appearance as Shulan and I felt so bad for her situation. I am so glad that ML was able to help salvage that situation and Shulan's ending remarks to her ex-husband included spitting on him and his mother lol. When the granny died, and she kept calling out the name of her daughter who died young and shaming her husband for favoring the concubine, you get the impression that women lived such difficult lives for many generations. Indeed, it lent some insight into why she wanted to protect Shulan. 

Those few episodes were my favourite so far i think i really loved the Sheng family there.

1 hour ago, cherubstomato said:

I’m just making light to disagree with the person who said he should just die honorably just because he suffered a lot then to live as a pitifully passionate man. I’m not disregarding his suffering nor am I comparing his sufferings to the other main cast but only trying to show insight that he is not the only one in this world and yes there are people out there who has it far worst than him. That he should not take his life for granted and throw it away just because of the unfortunate events.

Its more honorable to live as a pitifully passionate man because after all he lived and tried but in the end he just could not forget it. At least he didn’t forsake his family in the name of love. The whole world will never know his suffering. 

Ok i agree with you here. 

1 hour ago, lilkat75 said:

Yeah, I found the interaction between ML and GTY at the end of episode 28 was very sweet. Like how they were wishing each other well and like you said lifting each other up. I really like the mutual understanding and respect between the two, a good foundation for the budding relationship in the future.  Also, GTY did seem to focus more on ML's situation that QH's situation in a way. I feel like he has already developed feelings for ML :joy: Though, I think he was being a bit harsh (?) with QH's decision. Honestly, poor QH :tears: with what happened with Buwei then getting threatened to get married for the safety of ML and the Sheng family. 

Yeah he totally likes her already its obvious as hell. 

1 hour ago, cheekychipmunk_stv said:

I don't think Mama Liang will treat her nicely after she scheme to entrap 6th son of Liang to marry her. And it looks like the 6th son is also not a good husband material. Looks like he will have lots of concubines and mistresses. 

I hope the 6th son wakes up as well the dumb idiot. 

I wonder yet doubt it, it seems that Mama Liang is a wise woman. She will not be petty and would probably learn to accept her if not tolerate her. It will just be Molan being petty that she is not the only one in the eyes of the 6th. son and can’t have him wrapped around her fingers, like it was mentioned here it is a karma that her position is like that of Big Madam. And she never bore a son.

I totally disagree i think Mama Liang is petty and will not tolerate her at all. 

1 hour ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

I dont think its really fair to say everyone else is suffering more then him , his brother pretty much got killed in front of him , his mother is a grade a richard simmons , he got forced into a marriage he did not want..

Hes suffered just as much as anyone else, if i had to pick a route between GTY or QH its easily GTY i think QH is suffering alot more. 

Actually through out his life, he lived accordingly to his mom wishes. It's not that he is weak or what. He just want peace. He knows what his mom is capable of and if he don't live like a muppet and flatter his mom to her whims,  it's not him who suffers but the people around him. Like he said to his mom, he has always lived his life as per her say, he only want just 1 thing in his life (his heart desire) - that is ML. Even then, she will not give it to him. How cruel can a mother be?  If she truly loves her son, she will grant him his utmost wish. Sadly QH is just a tool for her like a daughter from a noble household.

1 minute ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

I totally disagree i think Mama Liang is petty and will not tolerate her at all. 

Spoiler

Agree with you. Mama liang is a tiger. She won't tolerate her especially when molan had devised a trap to marry his son and thus, ending her campaign to get ML as a daughter in law for stupid son. Mama liang assimilate herself with ML's character. Will ML tolerates somebody who will cause destruction n suffering to her beloved??? 

7 minutes ago, cheekychipmunk_stv said:

Actually through out his life, he lived accordingly to his mom wishes. It's not that he is weak or what. He just want peace. He knows what his mom is capable of and if he don't live like a muppet and flatter his mom to her whims,  it's not him who suffers but the people around him. Like he said to his mom, he has always lived his life as per her say, he only want just 1 thing in his life (his heart desire) - that is ML. Even then, she will not give it to him. How cruel can a mother be?  If she truly loves her son, she will grant him his utmost wish. Sadly QH is just a tool for her like a daughter from a noble household.

Yeah this is why i think hes one of the most pitiful if not the most pitiful characters sure he has a mother and father but they are not exactly loving or nice people just people using their kid for gains. 

Just now, leeza77 said:

Poor Minglan

Im sad she got cut but what i hate in drama's is when a female gets cut or some crap its healed next episode.. so annoying. 

5 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Yeah this is why i think hes one of the most pitiful if not the most pitiful characters sure he has a mother and father but they are not exactly loving or nice people just people using their kid for gains. 

Im sad she got cut but what i hate in drama's is when a female gets cut or some crap its healed next episode.. so annoying. 

Spoiler

That you have to blame (or thanks) dr he. His medicine is superb. Healing the wound without leaving scar and speedily. 

I wonder yet doubt it, it seems that Mama Liang is a wise woman. She will not be petty and would probably learn to accept her if not tolerate her. It will just be Molan being petty that she is not the only one in the eyes of the 6th. son and can’t have him wrapped around her fingers, like it was mentioned here it is a karma that her position is like that of Big Madam. And she never bore a son.

I think mama Liang will only be nice to DIL who is pure heart n nice, not petty, scheming and crying at everything type like Molan. Remeber at the beginning, she and her son thought that Molan is so pure n gentle while RL and ML are improper young ladies for gate crashing into the discussion between the males and the elders.  She will not tolerate her for creating chaos in the house with the rest of concubines. Mama Liang is not like Da Niang. Mama Liang is as every bit smart and feisty like ML. She will not hesitate to put Molan in her place.

I love ep 31 and how ML & grandma laughed at how ML found out all those juicy tibits of Liang''s household ugly situations. Hahaha ... grandma is so proud of ML. Grandma scolded ML for egging Molan on with all the ra ra stories of her visit to Liang house even though she has no wish or interest to marry into Liang household. Even RL egg her on. So hilarious how Molan lost her marbles. She just simply can't stand the thoughts that noble family mama or gentleman can have torch for ML. How can they not love her! Everyone on earth has to be in love with her.

a242dd6f54bd43ce88527e2fe20b1759.jpg?x=bimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQAtw9AosjjT0SEiw5winA41e25d19e993446699b93ffee2fd5bb1.jpg?x=b

Everyone has their own ideas and it's exciting to see how different they can be.  In these last episodes I found myself thinking a lot about QH and I honestly felt so sorry for him. I believe he suffers and will for a very long time.  Although I agree life is a gift and precious and never should be taken lightly.  When I  was watching his heart soar during the polo match and their victory, When he sent word to comfort her.  When he wanted to shout his love from the mountain top and she didn't want anyone to know how he felt.  When his Mother broke his heart time and time again from pearls to beating to death the one person he cherished that to him was family...

I guess my point is that he loves ML even now and I believe he always will.  Seeing him in the garden looking thin and unlike his cheerful self to having a knife under his chin and every part of himself shaking when he knew and believed there was no other choice but to sign his life away...

He may have had the easiest life from the outside but I think living with those kind of expectations and control from his Mother on the inside.  His life must have felt so lonely and so trapped and the sad part is now there are just more people trying to control him.  

He may continue to live but without ML his life will always be lacking and his heart will always be half full. 

I wonder without the love and happiness you desire and yearn for her so close and yet so far.  Is that really living?

Or just existing? 

19 minutes ago, cheekychipmunk_stv said:

I think mama Liang will only be nice to DIL who is pure heart n nice, not petty, scheming and crying at everything type like Molan. Remeber at the beginning, she and her son thought that Molan is so pure n gentle while RL and ML are improper young ladies for gate crashing into the discussion between the males and the elders.  She will not tolerate her for creating chaos in the house with the rest of concubines. Mama Liang is not like Da Niang. Mama Liang is as every bit smart and feisty like ML. She will not hesitate to put Molan in her place.

I love ep 31 and how ML & grandma laughed at how ML found out all those juicy tibits of Liang''s household ugly situations. Hahaha ... grandma is so proud of ML. Grandma scolded ML for egging Molan on with all the ra ra stories of her visit to Liang house even though she has no wish or interest to marry into Liang household. Even RL egg her on. So hilarious how Molan lost her marbles. She just simply can't stand the thoughts that noble family mama or gentleman can have torch for ML. How can they not love her! Everyone on earth has to be in love with her.

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

It will be hard for ML to prove now that her mom died due to the evil machinations of Molan's mom.It will be her word (memory as a child)against Sheng Hong's favorite concubine.

Instead gifting Lin's child a life of hostile innercourt politics where there is not much happiness but struggle to maintain one's foothold.It is no less than life imprisonment for the ambitious mother daughter duo.Serves them right.

58 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

We should time travel there, get the meds recipe and come back, we'll be a millionare :glasses:

34 minutes ago, USAFarmgirl said:

Everyone has their own ideas and it's exciting to see how different they can be.  In these last episodes I found myself thinking a lot about QH and I honestly felt so sorry for him. I believe he suffers and will for a very long time.  Although I agree life is a gift and precious and never should be taken lightly.  When I  was watching his heart soar during the polo match and their victory, When he sent word to comfort her.  When he wanted to shout his love from the mountain top and she didn't want anyone to know how he felt.  When his Mother broke his heart time and time again from pearls to beating to death the one person he cherished that to him was family...

I guess my point is that he loves ML even now and I believe he always will.  Seeing him in the garden looking thin and unlike his cheerful self to having a knife under his chin and every part of himself shaking when he knew and believed there was no other choice but to sign his life away...

He may have had the easiest life from the outside but I think living with those kind of expectations and control from his Mother on the inside.  His life must have felt so lonely and so trapped and the sad part is now there are just more people trying to control him.  

He may continue to live but without ML his life will always be lacking and his heart will always be half full. 

I wonder without the love and happiness you desire and yearn for her so close and yet so far.  Is that really living?

Or just existing? 

You rightly said it. This is not life.  It's just existing for sake of existing. QH unfortunately belongs to those type of men who will only love 1 woman for the rest of his life. How he beg his mom to let his man servant off and how it is no fault of his man servant. It's just the man servant loved him and pitied him. All the blame is his.  But his mom will not renders. She will remove anyone that don't go according to her command and her rule. The man servant BW is the only person who truly understands the kind of life QH lead, hence he wishes his master to be happy.  And he is the only person besides ML that QH values more than life. He felt like a failure all in 1 night - he couldn't protect/save his loyal servant from death, he couldn't keep his promises to ML, instead because of him, his servant died, ML and her family got threatened to ruins and his father hold hostage. He felt like his life is a joke - like a piece of commodity.  That's why he said if I'm the caused of all these chaos, then I might as well end my life and everything will be settled. 

I think (in my limited mandarin) the princess threatened to ruin ML n her family as well as his family even if he were to end his life. Pls correct me if I'm wrong. Hence he gave in n sign his life away.

If they are doing the wedding this week, I do wonder if they are doing away with the marrying Rulan to marry ML story? 

Since we already see Molan getting married, which means there needs to be a rebellion? 

Just suspecting. Because I rewatch the trailers (again) and one of them has ML's voiceover that "None of them dares to take the stake...only I dare to"...I'm wondering if she meant betting on GTY?

1 hour ago, cheekychipmunk_stv said:

You're right about him just wanting peace. But I don't think because he knew his mother, but because his life had been easy, thus, before ML, he never had any reason to fight for anything with anyone, so it's natural that he choose the peaceful road most of the time. He had been living well-off, sheltered and well-loved by his parents, which resulted in his naive nature, he didn't know anything about anyone, not even his parents. If he knew about what his mom was capable of, he would never:

1. Played the polo match. We have talked about this before.

2. Pulled the birthday stun. I'm sorry but that was beyond stupid. And he genuinely thought it could work! Any mother would feel so betrayed, not even the kindest one would agree in that situation, let alone his mother.

3. Had Buwei helped him communicate with ML. Like how could he not predicted that his mother would punish Buwei for continuously covering for him and helping him sneaking around?

4. Being so unaware about his parents being under immense pressure under two powerful families. I blame his parents, too, for not letting him know earlier. But I guess that is how his family worked, parents sheltered son from everything, which led to this situation where he was unable to dealt with anything on his own.

With that being said, I'm glad that this experience pushes him to grow up. It was very mature of him for making a hard decision. I hope that he can move on and make the best out of his situation. To keep drowning in misery or try to move on is entirely on himself, no one can help him. If Minglan - a woman, a "shu" daughter - can do it, there's no reason he can't (afaik, his wives after the princess was nice enough, so I think he can totally try to make it work with them).

19 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

If they are doing the wedding this week, I do wonder if they are doing away with the marrying Rulan to marry ML story? 

Since we already see Molan getting married, which means there needs to be a rebellion? 

I'm not sure about the rebellion. There are two in the book, one is during the old emperor's reign and one right after the start of the new emperor's reign. GTY really earned his merits in the second one. I'm thinking that they will only do with one rebellion in the drama. How they gonna do it, we'll have to see.

I'm curious how they'll going to deal with Ru Lan's love story. I don't think they will cut it, since I saw one scene of them dating in one of the trailers.

8 minutes ago, gleek49 said:

I'm not sure about the rebellion. There are two in the book, one is during the old emperor's reign and one right after the start of the new emperor's reign. GTY really earned his merits in the second one. I'm thinking that they will only do with one rebellion in the drama. How they gonna do it, we'll have to see.

I'm curious how they'll going to deal with Ru Lan's love story. I don't think they will cut it, since I saw one scene of them dating in one of the trailers.

Spoiler

I think the will follow the novel where Rulan was caught meeting with her sweetheart. And the sheng family marry her off to the sweetheart eventhough he is of lower status than Rulan. 

13 minutes ago, gleek49 said:

Yeah. Rulan indeed has a love story. I'm just wondering if they will use GTY to use Rulan to marry ML, or will Rulan story be a stand alone. 

30 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

Hide contents

I think the will follow the novel where Rulan was caught meeting with her sweetheart. And the sheng family marry her off to the sweetheart eventhough he is of lower status than Rulan. 

Yeah, they should show a bit of Rulan’s romance because there was BTS pictures of all three girls pregnant in one of the old comments I think.

Archived