[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, sava2sava said:

@nichiwoohee  I enjoyed watching that scene also, The concubine is bold enough to try and kill off the kid.. Now with everyone knowing her evil plan it would be hard to marry her off.. 

No need to marry her off, just return her to her parents. I bet the state uncle didnt punish the concubine, that’s why lady zhang’s father is livid. 

I hope they still like minglan, gty is close to state uncle, and I’m pretty sure the zhang wants to severe ties with the shen now

42 minutes ago, nichiwoohee said:

No need to marry her off, just return her to her parents. I bet the state uncle didnt punish the concubine, that’s why lady zhang’s father is livid. 

I hope they still like minglan, gty is close to state uncle, and I’m pretty sure the zhang wants to severe ties with the shen now

Spoiler

Zhang madam decided to come back to sheng manor.. Seems that she forgave her husband. The concubine was sent off out of the manor.. Maybe she was exiled somewhere, not allowed to set her foot into the city ever again 

SH slapped ML tonight.. I'm so angry with SH. Stupid SH. You slapped a heavily pregnant daughter. 

http://p.weibo.com/show/channerWbH5/1034:4335729455869426

It's rare to see parents like Madam Zhang's. Most of these dramas the daughters are just a chesspiece. State Uncle was too stupid and naive because the concubine is a relative of his late wife. I hope he learns his lesson. Luckily ML was able to save her.

9 minutes ago, Lunkera said:

This is why i wan't him to lose everything. I hope ML & GTY with their family leave the capital in the end just like they did in the novel apparently. Just to get away from all these scheming relatives and nobles.

I don't want them to lose everything because life will become hard for them. But I do want them to leave the capital and get away from scheming relatives and nobles. 

1 hour ago, leeza77 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Zhang madam decided to come back to sheng manor.. Seems that she forgave her husband. The concubine was sent off out of the manor.. Maybe she was exiled somewhere, not allowed to set her foot into the city ever again 

SH slapped ML tonight.. I'm so angry with SH. Stupid SH. You slapped a heavily pregnant daughter. 

http://p.weibo.com/show/channerWbH5/1034:4335729455869426

Spoiler

Wait.. isnt that the plot in the novel where manniang almost killed ml, and gty decided to just exiled her? Right down to when she was giving birth when it happened

I’m gonna need xiaotao to snitch this to shitou so gty knows ml was slapped 

:rage:

slapping heavily pregnant wife of gty? SH probably miss cl so much he wants to go see her asap

8 hours ago, sava2sava said:

@Jackie1048 & @purplefall94   I had often wonder why would they marry sisters into the same family.. Clearly at that time the GU house was broke.. Was Evil step Mom sent there for her sister child..? The Gu house was on bad terms with the courts wouldn't it have been better if Big Mdm was married off into a different famiy of status and wealth.. Most marriage then was for alliences to form more wealth and power.. Did Big Mdm not know marrying into the Gu house which child hold all the wealth..

I can’t remember the backstory but it probably started off as Stepmom was sent there for her sister’s child. But for some reason, I have this feeling that by that time, she was already plotting everything to become the Marchioness and have her own children inherit. By the time old Marquis marries again, his family’s already rolling in the money brought by GTY’s mom. In the drama, they explained that GTY’s mother’s existence was kind of swept aside because of her merchant background. In the novel spoilers people didn’t even realize she existed at all.

credit: copied & paste from Adnana from novel spoilers

Spoiler

The ML is Gu Tingye, and he is the 2nd son of the primary branch in a high-ranked Marquis Family with illustrious military merits. The old Marquis had 3 wives (not at the same time--he was twice widowed), and 1 son with each.
The first wife is his great love but she was sickly, only managed to bear him a frail son after many years of marriage and died soon after. The 2nd wife is a rich merchant daughter's, and the old Marquis marries her for money (his own "noble" family was greatly in debt at the time). They have a son: GTY, then the mother also dies quickly. The 3rd time, the old Marquis marries his 1st wife's younger sister (and has a 3rd son and a daughter with her).
Now this 3rd wife is the GTY’s stepmother, but because the old Marquis switched between all these wives when he was stationed outside the capital, and by the time he returns to the capital he is married with a woman named "Qin shi" (which is the same surname that everyone knows that the 1st wife had), the details are not generally known, and the other nobles don't realize that this Qin shi is not the original wife; they don't know about the GTY’s mother, and that this Qin shi is actually the GTY’s stepmother. This only becomes commonly known when rumors start to surface that this woman may have acted with ill intentions against GTY, and then everyone has an aha-moment--because they realize she wasn't the birth mother but the stepmother after all, which would explain certain things.

As to why the stepmother targets GTY. The 1st son (also Stepmom's maternal nephew) in line to inherit is sickly and won't live long, which everyone knows, and then GTY is next in line--and is the barrier to the stepmother's own biological son, i.e. the old Marquis' 3rd son, to inherit. So Stepmom's plan from the start was to ruin GTY and get him out of the way.

GTY is over 20 years old so she took a long time planning and scheming just to get an inheritance for her son. It’s no wonder she goes crazy. She’s lived most of her life in a game of manipulations. 

6 hours ago, leeza77 said:

After seeing the Wang matriarch (Da Niang/Aunt Kang’s mother) and brother, it’s no wonder Da Niang and Aunt Kang turned out the way they did. I think they are a family of scholars and officials?? And in that scene, they’re still very hauty talking down to ML even though she’s got a higher status than them. They need to be taken down a couple notches for constantly covering up Aunt Kang’s crimes. 

4 minutes ago, doubleicon said:

okay i have to know, why the hell do some of ya'll say "richard simmons"? that's a person, not necessarily a verb to describe something. 

@doubleicon  :lol:...the system automatically replaces curse words with “Richard Simmons” or something like that. I had the same reaction until someone on here explained it.:lol:

If anyone’s watched the argument between Aunt Kang and her husband, please explain what happened with their Shu daughter. From the way it sounded, the Shu daughter didn’t become a concubine like Aunt Kang planned.

1 minute ago, hello210 said:

Hahaha...the system automatically replaces curse words with “Richard Simmons” or something like that. I had the same reaction until someone on here explained it.:lol:

If anyone’s watched the argument between Aunt Kang and her husband, please explain what happened with their Shu daughter. From the way it sounded, the Shu daughter didn’t become a concubine like Aunt Kang planned.

oh lol okay, but replacing it with richard simmons? lmao how bizarre. thanks for the explanation lol. 

Earlier on I commented my displeasure seeing the ways GTY handled ML and his Gu family. 

.......Knowing very well (from own bitter experiences) the evil intentions of the toxic Gu families the damage they did to him.. Its no secret and its public knowledge, almost everyone who knew GTY including ED, late Emperor and current Emperor are aware of his pathetic family life history (he even used his maternal family name).....

He SHOULD have been able to draw a clear LINE from the very start to firmly WARN these ingrates never to dare repeat their nonsense and mess around with his "new family" and his new self earned status. Why did he allow those hooligans to even have the guts to think they can still continue to manipulate him? 

CB once commented when GTY had tht misunderstanding with ML, "why must you beat around the bush.. go and tell her". Even with his Gu family he went around the same way.

GTY is lucky to have such a young matured, level headed, patient and intelligent wife, ML. It takes the "fire" and nearly cost the lives of ML and their newborn child to finally knock some sense into him.

He made some mistakes but I guess he thought that going against his family in a direct way was risky. It could have damaged his position and status and given ammunition to his Enemies. In that society you had to be filial even if the family was a mess. 

however he seemed sad when he told ml that if he hadn’t married her, she would have had a happy and peaceful life with He. Maybe he felt remorses. This is why I guess he will propose the amiable separation, to give her a peaceful life and not to drag her down with him.

IA that in the end he is lucky that ml is a gem, 

2 hours ago, Katrina Abdul Talib said:

Earlier on I commented my displeasure seeing the ways GTY handled ML and his Gu family. 

.......Knowing very well (from own bitter experiences) the evil intentions of the toxic Gu families the damage they did to him.. Its no secret and its public knowledge, almost everyone who knew GTY including ED, late Emperor and current Emperor are aware of his pathetic family life history (he even used his maternal family name).....

He SHOULD have been able to draw a clear LINE from the very start to firmly WARN these ingrates never to dare repeat their nonsense and mess around with his "new family" and his new self earned status. Why did he allow those hooligans to even have the guts to think they can still continue to manipulate him? 

CB once commented when GTY had tht misunderstanding with ML, "why must you beat around the bush.. go and tell her". Even with his Gu family he went around the same way.

GTY is lucky to have such a young matured, level headed, patient and intelligent wife, ML. It takes the "fire" and nearly cost the lives of ML and their newborn child to finally knock some sense into him.

1 hour ago, fra8 said:

He made some mistakes but I guess he thought that going against his family in a direct way was risky. It could have damaged his position and status and given ammunition to his Enemies. In that society you had to be filial even if the family was a mess. 

however he seemed sad when he told ml that if he hadn’t married her, she would have had a happy and peaceful life with He. Maybe he felt remorses. This is why I guess he will propose the amiable separation, to give her a peaceful life and not to drag her down with him.

IA that in the end he is lucky that ml is a gem, 

It was exactly these societal rules that kept him from being able to directly draw that line. Remember,  to the outside world, the Stepmom is virtuous and GTY is the bad son.  In fact, the Emperor purposely gave GTY a manor that was right next door to the Gu manor because he wanted GTY to reconcile with his family for propriety’s sake since GTY is now a high official. The fact that GTY and ML already in a round about way ignore Stepmom has already been seen as unfilial, especially before the walls went down and the two majors were joined. They have to bide their time until there’s a hole in Stepmom’s facade in order to legally separate the Gu household since separating a Noble household was a matter that had to be approved by court. As sad as it is, the fire and stuff was the ammunition they needed to be able to get approval as well as the Stepmom’s exposure. GTY is very lucky that ML is level headed and intelligent since she understands some of these nuances better than GTY sometimes.

Archived