[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Rise of Phoenixes 凰权·弈天下

sugarplum892

9 hours ago, Pollen Ainne said:

Edit: Ning Shizheng actually stated that since he became emperor he has never stepped out of the palace wherein Xin ZIyan said that it was for the nations interest as it is for his safety. Quite funny how Ning Yi as emperor seem to step out as much as he wishes even leaving to go after Zhiwei's caravan to Jinshi, walks around the forest area, and telling Zhiwei he will pick her up himself. Guess Ning Shizheng was just a coward.

I didn't make note of this until you pointed it out. But yes, you're right there. NY's movements are somewhat unorthodox for an emperor. FZW even expresses surprise at seeing NY on the bridge...

Though, in fairness, NSZ probably never felt safe on his throne. He got to his position by rebelling/force, so he would always worry about Dacheng or the new Lord of Minhai replacing him. Ning Yi, while one of many contenders to the throne, is born royal and therefore has the self-belief in his divine right to rule. He would be less afraid than his father of being removed.

Not sure if anyone else here has read the Philippa Gregory series based on War of the Roses, but the first Tudor king never felt comfortable on his throne (extremely paranoid ruler who had to take care with the power brokers at court) whereas his son, Henry 8th was much more secure. It's maybe a similar scenario with NSZ and Ning Yi? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, morganian said:

I didn't make note of this until you pointed it out. But yes, you're right there. NY's movements are somewhat unorthodox for an emperor. FZW even expresses surprise at seeing NY on the bridge...

Though, in fairness, NSZ probably never felt safe on his throne. He got to his position by rebelling/force, so he would always worry about Dacheng or the new Lord of Minhai replacing him. Ning Yi, while one of many contenders to the throne, is born royal and therefore has the self-belief in his divine right to rule. He would be less afraid than his father of being removed.

Not sure if anyone else here has read the Philippa Gregory series based on War of the Roses, but the first Tudor king never felt comfortable on his throne (extremely paranoid ruler who had to take care with the power brokers at court) whereas his son, Henry 8th was much more secure. It's maybe a similar scenario with NSZ and Ning Yi? 

You make a good point. When you take something by force, you can get paranoid. Just like how the crown prince was so paranoid about defending his position he fell into Ning Yi's traps.

Although if you think about it, Ning Yi did somewhat brute force his way by eliminating all his contenders. The only person left was the Prince of Wei and the Emperor only gave the throne to him because of his paranoia. No one in their right mind would think that pawn was better than Ning Yi. lol. But maybe, Ning Yi is just more confident as a whole. And he is also a huge risk taker. The bets that he made during his schemes are plenty and could have entirely disrupted everything. But I love it. He seems to be the kind of ruler who would ride out with his army. I miss those times when rulers lead the battle field instead of stay behind desks...

• Like 1

What ep was it that Ning Yi introduce himself? I skimmed first three episode and he introduce himself to Zhiwei as a tailor. Everyone else calls him Liulang and FZW rightly so assumed that was his name and referred to him as such. I think it gets used when he's (or other people are) trying distance him from him being a prince.

Xin Ziyan calls him such because he tried to say "your highness" and Ning Yi told him that he's just "Liulang" now. He not only stripped the Prince of Chu title, he also took himself off royalty genealogy book, so "your highness", "6th prince" aren't appropriate. Xin Ziyan can't call him Ning Yi either, you don't call prince's names unless you are equal or higher than in rank (or straight up doesn't respect him). Actually, it applies to like most people, such as gov officials, you use titles for them. Liulang function as a nickname, fake name but also a title.  Zhao Yuan calls him that for one conversation for the same reason. I haven't found emperor calling him that tbh, it's either Ning Yi or Yi'er. Other people doesn't really use Liulang though, I saw some extra that still said Prince of Chu (bug? or they could just be following what the emperor say), Xin Ziyan called him something along the lines of "abolished/ex Prince of Chu" when he was suggesting Ning Ji as a candidate, which works but no one else uses it lmao.

I don't really think Ning Shizheng is a coward, he's just more conventional as an emperor. Emperors usually doesn't leave the palace in case of assassination and what not, also because he's presumably too busy with work.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, skibbies said:

What ep was it that Ning Yi introduce himself? I skimmed first three episode and he introduce himself to Zhiwei as a tailor. Everyone else calls him Liulang and FZW rightly so assumed that was his name and referred to him as such. I think it gets used when he's (or other people are) trying distance him from him being a prince.

You mean when he explained why he was called Liulang? I think it was episode 3 when Zhiwei accused him of lying about his identity.

Xin Ziyan calls him such because he tried to say "your highness" and Ning Yi told him that he's just "Liulang" now. He not only stripped the Prince of Chu title, he also took himself off royalty genealogy book, so "your highness", "6th prince" aren't appropriate. Xin Ziyan can't call him Ning Yi either, you don't call prince's names unless you are equal or higher than in rank (or straight up doesn't respect him). Actually, it applies to like most people, such as gov officials, you use titles for them. Liulang function as a nickname, fake name but also a title.  Zhao Yuan calls him that for one conversation for the same reason. I haven't found emperor calling him that tbh, it's either Ning Yi or Yi'er. Other people doesn't really use Liulang though, I saw some extra that still said Prince of Chu (bug? or they could just be following what the emperor say), Xin Ziyan called him something along the lines of "abolished/ex Prince of Chu" when he was suggesting Ning Ji as a candidate, which works but no one else uses it lmao.

Not really sure much about when he was called Liulang in the last few eps as I haven't watched it as much. Will look out for it.

I don't really think Ning Shizheng is a coward, he's just more conventional as an emperor. Emperors usually doesn't leave the palace in case of assassination and what not, also because he's presumably too busy with work.

True. Even Helian Zheng was not able to leave to go to war until necessary. They can only do action outside the palace when the fate of the nation is at stake. Guess Ning Yi is just unconventional.

• Like 1

I have been rewatching the series from the start. Currently enjoying Wei Zhi and Gu Nanyi's separate adventures from Ning Yi at the academy. There's a nugget of information about Emperor Ai's fourth son being in cahoots with Dayue and I've finally recognised Ning Ji sitting next to Shaoning in the classroom! So much fun!

• Like 2

I have started the drama, and I like the comedy between the leads, and their side characters. So far, I found out that Feng Zhewei's real identity, and her brother is her half-brother. I already read spoils that the drama is going to be sad, but I really like the interactions between the leads, and Chen Kun acting all stupid, but really he is plotting against his evil brothers!!! 

• Like 1

Hello to you all! I’d like to let you know my opinion - so far - about this show.

Unfortunately, I had great expectations for this drama and now, that I’ve almost finished watching episode 37, they have all been disappointed.

First of all, it’s too slow paced for me. If they had reduced all the sequences regarding bows and the phrases with “Yes, Your Majesty”, “Thank you, Your Majesty”, “You can rise” etc, it would have been a very wise thing to do. The scenes with all the drinking too and then we hear so many times the same project explained, said to a different person and said again. Ok, we get it: in a world similar to the ancient China, you had to have the utmost respect for the Emperor if you didn’t want to lose your life. We know it: all that the main character wants is revenge and absolution for his lost brother, then for his mother.

Plus, I can count the episodes worth watching on the fingers of my right hand. They are really a few and I will avoid spoilers.

The setting, the costumes, the cinematography are top-notch and also the acting but it gets frequently too boring and I have already skipped many parts and still I know what’s going on without losing much.

As for the romance, the male and the female lead are very good with their acting but also their story is underdeveloped: I don’t really see this great love blooming. Most parts of their scenes are deceitful and, even if they are interested in each other saving the life of the other one many times, it doesn’t feel like a romantic sentiment at all, they lack chemistry.

Even if full of clichés, I’ve loved Legend of Furyao and the portrayal of the protagonists' profound love. As far as political intrigues are concerned, I adored (and watched twice) Nirvana in Fire and its outstanding cast. Where does that leave The Rise of The Phoenixes?Is it getting any better in the remaining episodes? Please, share your thoughts!

@mspilgrims If you are 37 ep in and it's not doing it for you, I don't think it'd get better. Cutting all the bows and etiquette would be super strange, it's just part of palace drama, though I agree they spend way too much time talking about the same thing. but a lot of it is about what's left unsaid, what's going on behind the scene rather than what they are talking about. This drama's schemes are on the simpler side, what it excels in are characterisations and acting, if it's not working out for you then mhm.

While I think the OTP romance is a central part of the drama because it's what makes is special, it's not really the focus. Approximately 10% of the drama (I made that up on the spot, don't quote me on it) have them in the same frame, and the most romantic thing they do is nuzzle, it's just very unconventional. I don't think it's underdeveloped, it's just different. Their romance is about being in sync in terms of thoughts, having similar ambition, clashing ideals rather than hugs and kisses. The cutest romantic bits are coming up though, but it's also the arc that got the most cuts so ymmv.

Fuyao is a really different drama, it's more adventurey than this one. NiF also excel in different areas, it's the themes and probably the bromance that pop out. My gripe with it, as with most political intrigue drama are the lack of focus on female characters. It's largely due to historical reason, I loved Ni Huang when she showed up but it's not her story. This drama fills the niche, a political drama with a major female character (not a romance drama with politics in the background, the politics is front and center).

• Like 4

12 hours ago, mspilgrims said:

Hello to you all! I’d like to let you know my opinion - so far - about this show.

Unfortunately, I had great expectations for this drama and now, that I’ve almost finished watching episode 37, they have all been disappointed.

First of all, it’s too slow paced for me. If they had reduced all the sequences regarding bows and the phrases with “Yes, Your Majesty”, “Thank you, Your Majesty”, “You can rise” etc, it would have been a very wise thing to do. The scenes with all the drinking too and then we hear so many times the same project explained, said to a different person and said again. Ok, we get it: in a world similar to the ancient China, you had to have the utmost respect for the Emperor if you didn’t want to lose your life. We know it: all that the main character wants is revenge and absolution for his lost brother, then for his mother.

Plus, I can count the episodes worth watching on the fingers of my right hand. They are really a few and I will avoid spoilers.

The setting, the costumes, the cinematography are top-notch and also the acting but it gets frequently too boring and I have already skipped many parts and still I know what’s going on without losing much.

As for the romance, the male and the female lead are very good with their acting but also their story is underdeveloped: I don’t really see this great love blooming. Most parts of their scenes are deceitful and, even if they are interested in each other saving the life of the other one many times, it doesn’t feel like a romantic sentiment at all, they lack chemistry.

Even if full of clichés, I’ve loved Legend of Furyao and the portrayal of the protagonists' profound love. As far as political intrigues are concerned, I adored (and watched twice) Nirvana in Fire and its outstanding cast. Where does that leave The Rise of The Phoenixes?Is it getting any better in the remaining episodes? Please, share your thoughts!

I don't think this is the type of drama you will enjoy continuing. I know Fuyao takes place in the same world, but the two are very different types of shows, which does cause some issues depending on what people come in expecting. Most viewers who end up enjoying Rise of Phoenixes don't find the pace slow, myself included, because there is so much to unpack with each line and gesture. The characterizations here are more complex, maybe a little darker, than what is typically seen in dramas, and it can be off putting if that's not what you're into. 

• Like 3

On 10/26/2018 at 11:35 PM, morganian said:

I have been rewatching the series from the start. Currently enjoying Wei Zhi and Gu Nanyi's separate adventures from Ning Yi at the academy. There's a nugget of information about Emperor Ai's fourth son being in cahoots with Dayue and I've finally recognised Ning Ji sitting next to Shaoning in the classroom! So much fun!

I know! Re-watching this drama is just so much fun! I learn so many more details after every re-watch. Believe it or not, this is my 4th and I am on episode 44.  I usually don't like re-watching anything, with the exception of maybe 2 anime series that I really like and one other drama that I got obsessed with before. 

17 hours ago, rosierosie said:

I have started the drama, and I like the comedy between the leads, and their side characters. So far, I found out that Feng Zhewei's real identity, and her brother is her half-brother. I already read spoils that the drama is going to be sad, but I really like the interactions between the leads, and Chen Kun acting all stupid, but really he is plotting against his evil brothers!!! 

Ning Yi is a really great character. I enjoy just watching him doing anything. lol

15 hours ago, mspilgrims said:

If this is how you feel after 37 episodes, you definitely will not like this show. I guess it is not for everyone. I can't stand Legend of Fuyao but so many people love it so... *shrug*. I only got up to episode 3 just to hit my 3 episode rule. Profound love I guess can differ from one person to another. The thing is, I love "foreplay" more. The more turbulent the chase, the sweeter the catch. I also could not finish NiF since I am not really into political drama. What tRoP has that I don't find in the other series is fascinating characters. Maybe it is because I am into anime that the characters of Ning Yi, Zin Ziyan and Feng Zhiwei fascinated me so much. At that point whatever story they were in, I was sucked into it.

As for chemistry, OMG, I think I see more chemistry with the tRoP leads standing so far away from each other than the skinship of most dramas. Their love was based on admiration of their unique characters. They were intrigued with each other. They both were not into love and marriage. But they were pulled towards each other. I feel the tug every time they were on the same screen even when they were not looking at each other. Just seeing Ning Yi beam proudly as Zhiwei answered the Emperor's question made my heart flutter. And Zhiwei smiling at Ning Yi's answers to Zhongxin during the Minhai arc was so sweet even though I didn't really understand most of the "proverbs" that he was stating. Ning Yi hiding his amusement as Zhiwei tries to explain away his blank paper. The two of them making fun of Helian Zheng. The two of them mocking Qui Yuluo and Hua Gongmei. To me, what they had was greater than any love. To be so proud of the other person. To feel joy with simply an exchange of wits. They were perfect. Well until the last few episodes...

Love scenes easily gets cheesy to me, which is why I can't stand most romance centered dramas. But not once did this series have anything cheesy on it. The moment they get something going, they get pulled away fast. It only lasts for a few minutes and leave you wanting for more. It is what makes me obsessed with this couple. You want to see them together more instead of thinking "I know you love each other already so get on with the story".

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Pollen Ainne said:

As for chemistry, OMG, I think I see more chemistry with the tRoP leads standing so far away from each other than the skinship of most dramas. Their love was based on admiration of their unique characters. They were intrigued with each other. They both were not into love and marriage. But they were pulled towards each other. I feel the tug every time they were on the same screen even when they were not looking at each other. Just seeing Ning Yi beam proudly as Zhiwei answered the Emperor's question made my heart flutter. And Zhiwei smiling at Ning Yi's answers to Zhongxin during the Minhai arc was so sweet even though I didn't really understand most of the "proverbs" that he was stating. Ning Yi hiding his amusement as Zhiwei tries to explain away his blank paper. The two of them making fun of Helian Zheng. The two of them mocking Qui Yuluo and Hua Gongmei. To me, what they had was greater than any love. To be so proud of the other person. To feel joy with simply an exchange of wits. They were perfect. Well until the last few episodes...

Love scenes easily gets cheesy to me, which is why I can't stand most romance centered dramas. But not once did this series have anything cheesy on it. The moment they get something going, they get pulled away fast. It only lasts for a few minutes and leave you wanting for more. It is what makes me obsessed with this couple. You want to see them together more instead of thinking "I know you love each other already so get on with the story".

Same. I've watched much more explicit shows, like game of thrones, but to be perfectly honest, those scenes leave me cold. I know it's going to happen and I've seen it played out so many times that it's devoid of any anticipation. I'm all about that buildup and unresolved tension.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Pollen Ainne said:

Yaaasss. Sexual tension and an intellectual type of romance FTW.

Sometimes less is more with the romance. Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice, a classic romance novel, has lots of sexual tension, witty repartee between the main protagonists, and not a single kiss in sight!

Ok, RotP’s FZW and Ning Yi’s romance should have pretty much been wrapped up after the death of Feng Hao and Mingying...but it was still pretty good for 40+ episodes. The romance is there even when they spend no screen time together. I just love how FZW and NY think about each other’s welfare, even in the early stages. FZW gives up her plans to travel the world when Master Zong tells her either Prince of Chu or the Crown Prince will die from the power struggle. NY is always adjusting his plans to make sure his little raccoon is safe... 

• Like 2

On 10/28/2018 at 8:25 PM, mspilgrims said:

This is my first C-drama (small screen) so I can’t compare RotP to Legend of Fuyao and Nivarna on Fire. All I can compare it to is the Western series I have access to. 

RotP is slow initially. While it has some action sequences and some romance, it is more of a political period drama a la The Crown or Victoria. The romance also creeps along at the pace of an English 19th C period drama (Jane Austen or any BBC period production) where hand-holding is as steamy as it gets. If you like those kind of shows, then you might appreciate RotP. 

However, @mspilgrims, it sounds like you haven’t got the bug (though maybe skipping through makes world/story immersion much more difficult, especially when the strength of the show is in the characterisation/acting).

I commend you on your perseverance though. Episode 37 is the equivalent of 3 Western series seasons; that’s a lot of investment into something you’re not quite that into! I would have given up at episode 10 on any show that I thought was ‘meh’, regardless of how highly rated it was. 

• Like 2

First of all, thank you for all your responses!

I am currently ill at home so from episode 37 I'm already at 44... :D Well, It got really better in terms of pace, romance and action. So I think I'm gonna watch the entire series, even if I read spoilers on the ending. :bawling:

I love the portrayal of Ning Yi, the acting is superb. The intensity of some of Prince of Chu's looks is worth my time I guess. The actress playing Feng Ziwhei is also very good and has a very warmth smile. These last episodes have been showing more chemistry between the two leads!

One thing in particular made me wonder though: the translation of some dialogues. I mean, does it have a sense between adults the word "like" in a confession?  "I like you" is a bit childish or for a teenage first love, imho. In the adult world, I'd rather say "I'm in love with you", "I've fallen for you" or simply "I love you". What do you think?

@morganian Pride and Prejudice is one of my all time favourite love stories. You are right, not even a kiss, yet you keep dreaming about it.

Well, about Legend of Fuyao (that I recommend), it is an entire different show and maybe I am a little biased by...ahem... a shirtless main lead? :lol:

I will update my final opinion as soon as I finish the show!

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, mspilgrims said:

One thing in particular made me wonder though: the translation of some dialogues. I mean, does it have a sense between adults the word "like" in a confession?  "I like you" is a bit childish or for a teenage first love, imho. In the adult world, I'd rather say "I'm in love with you", "I've fallen for you" or simply "I love you". What do you think?

I peg that down to mostly culture difference. Love is a very heavy and rarely used word, especially in a confession in Chinese. Of course that's changing with younger generation and what not. I actually find "i like you" kind of out of place because the term seems kind of modern, and TOO straightforward. It seems much more Ning Yi's style (who's a tsundere who is bad at admitting romantic feelings) and this drama's style to have lengthy poems describing love and feelings than "i like you". I love you would def work more as a translation, kind of like japanese "suki" is translated as love in confessions, even though the term itself is technically "like". Glad you are having fun with the cute romance bits!

I'm not sure if the translator even watch the drama as they translate. There could have been multiple people who got bits and pieces of the script so they just translate it literally. I'm not sure I've seen a historical drama with awesome translation. I think web novels get them more, from my super cursory look?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, morganian said:

Yaaasss. Sexual tension and an intellectual type of romance FTW.

Sometimes less is more with the romance. Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice, a classic romance novel, has lots of sexual tension, witty repartee between the main protagonists, and not a single kiss in sight!

Ok, RotP’s FZW and Ning Yi’s romance should have pretty much been wrapped up after the death of Feng Hao and Mingying...but it was still pretty good for 40+ episodes. The romance is there even when they spend no screen time together. I just love how FZW and NY think about each other’s welfare, even in the early stages. FZW gives up her plans to travel the world when Master Zong tells her either Prince of Chu or the Crown Prince will die from the power struggle. NY is always adjusting his plans to make sure his little raccoon is safe... 

Oh Yes! Pride and Prejudice!!!

tRoP romance peak is at episode 47, but Ning Yi was so cool at episode 51 when he charged into the palace and threatened his father. That was so awesome! I really love how vulnerable and fragile he looks most of the time and suddenly just so aggressive and commanding. When he commanded the guards to move, they really just obeyed him. At that point, one can say, he might as well be Emperor. lol!

And then I can pretend that everything ended tragically at episode 53 when their love was still strong but they cannot be together... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, skibbies said:

I peg that down to mostly culture difference. Love is a very heavy and rarely used word, especially in a confession in Chinese. Of course that's changing with younger generation and what not. I actually find "i like you" kind of out of place because the term seems kind of modern, and TOO straightforward. It seems much more Ning Yi's style (who's a tsundere who is bad at admitting romantic feelings) and this drama's style to have lengthy poems describing love and feelings than "i like you". I love you would def work more as a translation, kind of like japanese "suki" is translated as love in confessions, even though the term itself is technically "like". Glad you are having fun with the cute romance bits!

I'm not sure if the translator even watch the drama as they translate. There could have been multiple people who got bits and pieces of the script so they just translate it literally. I'm not sure I've seen a historical drama with awesome translation. I think web novels get them more, from my super cursory look?

Yeah, I am so used to it in japanese animations that I just consider "I like you" as "I love you". Even adults use "I like you" all the time or even just "Please date me, with consideration of marriage." lol Although, some does say "I love you" Mostly really passionate ones, or those with really strong personalities.

However with Ning Yi, anything goes. He comes off really strong at times, but when he confessed he didn't seem confident at all. I mean, I am pretty sure he has an idea how much Zhiwei really likes him, but he looked like a nervous wreck, it was so cute! "I like you" was better suited to the situation, I don't think his brain can manage anything poetic at that point. I wish he had a chance to say "I love you" as well, but unfortunately, every thing went downhill from there.

• Like 2

For Ning Yi, I think he's more likely to just do things, he's an action kind of guy. The confession scene is basically a puppy love confession scene because he's super shy and find it hard to voice love, so I think "I like you" make sense. "I'll take care of you" "Let's be together forever" or sometimes no confession work more in more serious historical I think. Imagining them saying "I love you" actually makes my brain go ????

Douban has a thread that screenshot all the "confessions" that they told to OTHER PEOPLE. Most famously, that scene in Da Yue and some scenes where Ning Yi is talking to Xin Ziyan.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, skibbies said:

For Ning Yi, I think he's more likely to just do things, he's an action kind of guy. The confession scene is basically a puppy love confession scene because he's super shy and find it out to voice love, so I think that make sense. "I'll take care of you" "Let's be together forever" or sometimes no confession work more in more serious historical I think. Imagining them saying "I love you" actually makes my brain go ????

Douban has a thread that screenshot all the "confessions" that they told to OTHER PEOPLE. Most famously, that scene in Da Yue and some scenes where Ning Yi is talking to Xin Ziyan.

I think the first time Ning Yi really admitted to "loving" Zhiwei was after the emperor's birthday. Before that, Ning Yi had been just glaring at them and calling her "pawn". He really is tsundere. lol. Although it was kinda funny when he refused to bet Zhiwei with Xin Ziyan. But after that incident in Yilan Palace, Ning Yi seemed to have accepted it. Instead of denying or feigning indifference he actually stated that he wasn't really sure what their relationship was, which is a huge development. After Zhiwei was revealed as a woman, when Xin Ziyan told him to marry before leaving, he stated that he will do so when he got back. And then he also thought of Zhiwei as the woman he loved. He just could not admit it in front of Zhiwei herself until he got sick of the plague. lol

Oh, I also remember when Xin ZIyan sent Zhiwei to Qingming Academy to get her far from Ning Yi, and Ning Yi teased him about getting a post in Qingming as well. The expression in Xin ZIyan's face was priceless. Also Zhiwei asking Huaishi and Nanyi if she would not make a good wife, when she had been adamant about not marrying. It was so cute. Just Ning Yi, Xin Ziyan and Feng Zhiwei alone really makes this show so much fun!

I like the fact that although Zhiwei was basically a commoner, she had no insecurity issues with regards to her status. She liked Ning Yi and went for it, not once did she think she was beneath him or anything like that.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Pollen Ainne said:

Yeah, I am so used to it in japanese animations that I just consider "I like you" as "I love you". Even adults use "I like you" all the time or even just "Please date me, with consideration of marriage." lol Although, some does say "I love you" Mostly really passionate ones, or those with really strong personalities.

However with Ning Yi, anything goes. He comes off really strong at times, but when he confessed he didn't seem confident at all. I mean, I am pretty sure he has an idea how much Zhiwei really likes him, but he looked like a nervous wreck, it was so cute! "I like you" was better suited to the situation, I don't think his brain can manage anything poetic at that point. I wish he had a chance to say "I love you" as well, but unfortunately, every thing went downhill from there.

As per discussion above, I think culturally and historically 'I like you' is extremely blunt and forward already. 'Please be my first wife' would have been more appropriate and just having one wife (no concubines) would demonstrate the depth of feeling. 'Please be my Empress' is really pushing it to the next level and demonstrates a desperate and selfish love without thought for the consequences.

Ning Yi's displays of affection are so reserved compared to Helian Z's. Helian is extremely forward...which, in the context of the show, hint at him being barbaric, an outsider, uncultured, etc. I think, this is one small reason why FZW cannot take him seriously (even before she is full-on in love with NY). 

And then, compare this to Gu Nanyi's affection. He loves FZW, but he makes it something more appropriate for his station. Apart from the initial 'perving on my mistress while she's in her PJs', he keeps it pretty G-rated after that.

Thoughts?

• Like 4