[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

I will let the ending sink in for a while.

I will probably like it tomorrow.

But right now I am kinda bummed.

But I am really happy for the WangSun couple.

But really sad for the Goblin couple.

But they did technically end up together. 

So I should be happy.

I am confused.

Atleast the ending was not like that of "Rooftop prince" or "Araang". Atleast here both knew exactly how much they loved each other and they remembered all the moments they had together. 

Sigh.

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, crazyoverkdrama said:

That's what's wrong with this drama. They could have ended the immortality like WY-SN, but noooo.... They want JET to die, reincarnate, repeat. But GB will forever be GB. They just made the title VERY literal.

I really don't understand. She came up with a lot of out of the box stuff with her writing. Why go for the same old tried a 1000 times over again type ending. Man i am so disappointed :(

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, CatWhiskers said:

Suggested by a friend. Who was ranting right NOW in my chatgroup. Lets all just pretend Kim Shin and Eun Tak ended at the wedding. Yes. This is like CITT all over again. 

There are so many thousand ways it could have ended. God could have intervene. But nope. In the end... Poor Kim Shin has to suffer. What did he do to warrant such fate? 

This is my prevailing question throughout the drama too; what the butterfly-god has got against Shin? The whole drama feels obsolete with this ending too. It beats the whole premise of the goblin's bride and the suffering caused by the sword to Shin. Euntak's death feels so out of place too. Messy. Just messy. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, nearsea said:

I'm just going to pretend that ET came back as a goblin, otherwise how did she come to canada again? Shin did not accompany her this time right? So, this is her being coming back as an immortal too...:S :'(. 

I think same too.. I think ET back as an immortal too at the last scene and become real goblin bride in immortal because KS is goblin who immortal too..

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, LyraYoo said:

Ji Eun Tak is no longer a missing soul, and she needs to die to amend that. She did not drink the oblivion tea. Because she wants to remember Kim Shin on the next life. The reincarnation is mentioned and embedded in the narrative since the beginning. And even the diety who attempted to erase Eun Tak memories failed. 

Reincarnations is an established belief in Korea (remember when you read of "Did he save the country from his past life?" mantras ? ) . Writer had made that clear. In Eun Tak 's first life (as also mentioned by samshin halmoni) she was branded a missing soul. And only death can reset that , no other. They can not mess with the order most of the times. Also Grim Reaper cant be there forever because he has to finish his GR duties too. 

I love how the grim reaper - sunny arc ended too. Because no way can a Grim Reaper- Human have a relationship in the order of the world they both live in. And Grim as grim waited for her to die before his duty ended (same as the lovers he gave the oblivion tea but both refused).

At first I was skeptical on why the wedding came first at the first part of the episode. But it makes sense now that the wedding was made prior to Ji Eun Tak's death, First love never dies it seems. And that will remain to her memory even after she dies , carrying it in her next life. The wedding,and those happy memories prelude to what is yet to come. And Kim Shin, had waited.

The writer wants to make a mythical drama but still wanted to keep it realistic that's why every one had to die and reincarnated in order for them to be together. But she should at least let KS reincarnated. He's done with his punishment already. Even he met JET again in a new lifetime, he still would have to witness her dying and other people he loves die. This ending is just soo urgggh! :angry:

• Like 12

I am also sad about the fact that the Goblin and Grim Reaper no longer have any connection with each other and a great friendship is just ended.

The two main couple got their happy...ish endings but what about our third TRUE COUPLE Goblin and Grim Reaper. Not even an acknowledgement.

Grim Reaper did not drink any memory wiping drink. Him and the Goblin could have briefly crossed paths to acknowledge that they still knew each other.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Annette said:

The ending could have been better I think.  The writers didn't have to kill her off like that.  Seriously the truck moved by itself like that and she gave her life to save the children.  So when she meets him in Canada is she a ghost???  I would like to think she came back as the goblin wife and she is immortal too.  All in all I love the drama :wub:I only wished the writers didn't kill her like that.  Was dumb:blink: And I still didn't understand why Sunny left?  She could still have love the grim reaper. The last episode was really to sad and heartbreaking.

So when she meets him in Canada is she a ghost??? -I was questioning it too. If she's a ghost and not a reincarnation bec if it is (reincarnation) then KS is still a Goblin, right? and what he'll never get old.. but we see the JET 19/20 yr old not the age when she died, right? so is it definitely a reincarnation?

• Like 5

Just now, crazyoverkdrama said:

JET came back wearing her school uniform. TO CANADA. 

Don't tell me she has powers now too? Door teleportation perhaps? Because it's so weird going to Canada in your school uniform.

hahahhahahhaa this is really

the first thing that I wanna ask as I see ET wear uniform, wtffff with thatttttt.... maybe it'll better when she's in school trip or family trip in Canada, or please choose another place other than Canada, aaaaahhhhhh my head so hurt right now, my heart as well. 

• Like 7

@LyraYoo I loved what you wrote. 

I think the message is that essentially true love never dies but will be reborn. In this case, reborn with an old soul. (Kind of reminds me of Arang and the Magistrate)

Eun Tak did wait for Shin when he was wandering in limbo (even if she was not aware of it) and Shin was given a second chance (however brief) with Eun Tak. It is not only Eun Tak who has the store of memories (as she did not drink the tea) but also for Shin, whose memories of his bride kept him going. He also believed in her promise and waited. For a deity who had lived for 900+ (before Eun Tak) without love, the short time he had with her was a library of memories of loving and being loved. 

So, I am glad that they actually got married and had all the happy scenes. 

It's just the staring at the end! Arghhh....(better ending than CITT though :ph34r:)

PS. If you spot the nametag, it is not Ji Eun Tak. It's Park (can't make out the other parts)

• Like 22

긴 기다림 끝에 다시 만난 공유♥김고은! 도깨비와 신부의 영원불멸 슬픈사랑은 해피엔딩! 170121 

translated the title 

After long waiting, shared again ♥ Kimgoeun! The immortality of the goblins and the bride

The sad love is a happy ending!

maybe its true,the sad love kim shin and eun tak get a happy ending.they meet again in different circumstances,maybe her name is not eun tak again,maybe she born in wealthy family ,thats why she can go to canada (using my imagination)

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, hinotori93 said:

I would have also wished for a return to mortal life to KS so that the Yu family can at last be freed from their millenia-long subservience once KS passes on. 

I think how they introduced and developed Chairman Yu's secretary and the subway man in ep 16 (and not show DH) could be interpreted as KS chooses his companions/servants. I may be totally wrong. But I am trying to look at this from every angle. The halving of the sandwich seemed like the dividing of the rice ball in ep 1 scene.

• Like 7

Y'know what...I actually really like the ending....seems very realistic as compared to ET actually living through that crash. Fancied the whole 'reincarnation' idea with them all living happy lives now. Thank you KES :) 

And GREAT ending for WY and Sunny :wub: 

PS. Just wished KS and WY would have met again to become great friends....

• Like 10

I want to rewind all the way back to Ep 14.

KS came back as a mortal. And ET finally remember him. They had a wedding.

GR and Sunny were reincarnated. After one night stand, Sunny got pregnant.

KS and ET have children and their kids are best friends with GR/Sunny's kids.

Deok Hwa hooked up with ET's friend.

And the final scene, all of them dining at the long table.

Singing and laughing and lots of love warm up the room. 

The End. 

• Like 18

29 minutes ago, DuckButtHunter said:

Everyone is dead...but the subway sandwich is still kickin! :astonished:

Your comment made my day!  So spot on, in this crazy kdrama world! Wish they had given the time alloted to that sandwich to a final kiss from our main otp! I just hate endings where the couple just smiles at each other, wish we got a final kiss! Or better yet, wish eun tak had been reuncarnated as an angel, immortal!

• Like 6