[Drama 2017] Bride of the Water God, 하백의 신부

Chellsee

10 minutes ago, ilwoo_aein said:

I love this scene from episode 6! Caps by tvN

Habaek-nim made a promise to Soo Ah that he will protect Soo Ah and never put her in danger again. It's like a promise made by a man to a woman he loves :heart:

Love this scene to especially the 'Promise, Stamp, Copy'.

I wonder which Kdrama that Habaek watched to know that ' practice' since I only knew the 'Promise, stamp' only and that"s after 4 years of drama addiction. Never knew it has the 'Copy' version...haha...And he was so serious doing that I had hard time not to laugh because even though it seemed childish, his expression shown as if he meant it with all his heart or bet his life on it...

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, amisyka77 said:

I love these 2 scenes. It"s about how two different people analysed SoAh's personality. HooYe and Habaek described her in different words but with one, same meaning.

haha so i definitely smell a love triangle coming up.

But yes in many ways they summed up SA's personality and her lifestyle pretty well.

She pretends to not care but in reality she does still no matter what. I think like what HB said, eventually it would become difficult to continue with such a lifestyle and the way of living. IF anything I feel it puts SA in more pain.

2 hours ago, stroppyse said:

I haven't started watching this drama, though not sure why. Do you recommend it? Will it drive me crazy with all sorts of weirdness or does it have a story that actually has some internal logic to it plus acting performances that make me believe in the characters? 

Actually, I think the leads are okay already. SSK has been good in past roles and NJH has been improving. Not sure about the secondary leads. 

@stroppyse  you're here,  it's great to have you in a drama forum, as always!   You can binge watch, but basically it is the kind of drama that gives clues in pieces so far, that raise even more questions collectively and individually, hence an active forum discussion even in the long week before new eps air.  It is in most aspects,  hard to predict and thus can surprise,  and the scriptwriter does bring good insight in the conversations in the drama. 

From Encyclopedia of Korean Folk Culture  http://210.204.213.134/en/topic/ShamanicSongofSimCheong/5378

Shamanic Song of Sim Cheong

Headword

심청굿무가 ( Simcheonggumuga )

Location of the encyclopedia

Korean Folk Literature > Folk tales > Mythology

Writer ParkKyungsin(朴敬伸)
Date of update 2016-11-29

The shamanic myth“Simcheonggumuga”is recited as part of the Simcheong ritual or the Blind Segment in byeolsingut, or the ritual f or village tutelary spirit, held on the east coast regions of the Korean Peninsula.

Blind Man Sim and his wife Lady Gwak, being childless, prays with devotion to mountains and rivers, and conceive a child, but soon after giving birth to their daughter Sim Cheong, the wise and virtuous Lady Gwak dies from complications and Cheong is lef t motherless only seven days af ter birth. Blind Man Sim endures extreme hardships to raise Cheong and she in return looks af ter her father with devotion. One day, Blind Man Sim falls into a stream and is saved by a monk in charge of donations at Mongeun Temple, who tells him that a donation of three hundred seok of rice will restore his vision, and Sim promises a donation, but soon regrets it. Cheong, upon learning of this, sells herself to merchant sailors from Nan jing as a sacrif ice for the waters of Indangsu, in exchange for three hundred seok of rice, which she sends to Mongeun Temple as donation. On the day she is set to leave for the sea, the sailors come and take her and she is pushed off the ship into the waters of Indangsu, but is rescued with the help of Okhwangsang je (Great Emperor of Jade), and at Yonggung (Dragon Palace) she is reunited with her mother, who has descended f rom the heavens to see Cheong. Her mother ascends again a few days later and Cheong comes back to life, transported on a lotus blossom. When the Nanjing merchant sailors come across the lotus flower, they take it to the emperor, who, upon encountering Cheong inside the f lower, marries her. Sim Cheong, now an empress, dearly misses her father and requests the emperor to host a three month and ten day banquet for all the blind men, during which she reunites with Blind Man Sim and he, overcome with joy, regains his vision.

This myth is a shamanic song version of the classical novel The Tale of Sim Cheong and the solo epic pansori narrative“Song of Sim Cheong.”The story of filial daughter Sim Cheong is one of the most popular narratives in the history of Korean literature, along with the story of the faithful wife Chunhyang, with myriad diff erent versions and variants across genres.

The shamanic song of Sim Cheong is observed in no other region but on the east coast, where it is recited within the community of hereditary shamans, who are all professional shamans connected by blood ties. Among the many shamanic myths transmitted in this region, including“ Song of Princess Bari ”and “ Song of Smallpox Prevention Ritual (Sonnimgut), ” “Song of Sim Cheong”is the longest and the most difficult, and its recitation is used as a gauge of a shaman’s capacities.

the woman who betrayed the gods has to be from the Shim family, and the reason why I suspected that is because of what Habaek said. he said that when 'that' woman was sent back to the human world, she was given a "generous care package." by that, I'm guessing it pertains to wealth (i.e. golds, jewels, etc). the Shin family is in the resort business, and their wealth could have its origin from that ancestor who left Water Country.

Habaek might have been ensnared by this woman, and because of his honest nature (this is alluding to his character in the manhwa), he must have fallen in love with her. However, she might have had an agenda in the events leading to her living in Water Country. I'm guessing the gods and Habaek found out what her true motive was, and so that's where the eternal punishment of life long servitude came about. which reminded me of Habaek's encounter with Shin Jaya, and how her behavior reminded him of someone whom he hated. 

Soah's ancestors could have been an innocent casualty to all this, but maybe was coerced into shouldering the burden and responsibilities of becoming the servants of the gods instead. like someone had mentioned, the Shim could have tricked Soah's ancestors into becoming the servants instead in some twist of fate.

And regarding Hooye, I don't know why I didn't thought of it, but I think he's the manhwa's representation of the god Shin Nong. Shin Nong is the god of Agriculture and that he was the original emperor of the gods. Shin Nong is the god who sympathize with humans, and Hooye mentioned how he observes human behavior/humor/etc. 

btw: there was a 2 part adaptation of the Tale of Shim Chung a few years ago. and lol, the guy who played the prince was I'm JuHwan. did the writer put a pun on this 

:lol:?

30 minutes ago, LadyIgraine said:

And regarding Hooye, I don't know why I didn't thought of it, but I think he's the manhwa's representation of the god Shin Nong. Shin Nong is the god of Agriculture and that he was the original emperor of the gods. Shin Nong is the god who sympathize with humans, and Hooye mentioned how he observes human behavior/humor/etc. 

Wow...this is the best speculation of HoYe so far. The description suits him to the T i think. Well, now, if that's the case, could he be the candidate for the Emperor of The Realm of Gods besides Habaek?

1 hour ago, LadyIgraine said:

I got this from http://the-bride-of-the-water-god.wikia.com/wiki/Shin_Nong

Shin Nong

309?cb=20140930032823

Yeom Jae, Shin Nong (염재, 신농, 神農):The God of Agriculture and the previous Emperor of the Gods, as the most powerful god. He loves humans and gods equally, which eventually resulted in Hunwon gathering divinities opposed to Shin Nong and overthrowing him. Once Mui's power over water emerged, Shin Nong granted him the title "Habaek" as the God of Water. However, since Shin Nong's own affinity is toward fire, he and his allies retreated to The Moon Palace, where as gods possessing the power of fire, they are strongest. When Hoo-yeattempts to take Soah, he reveals himself and lets Hoo-ye leave the Lunar palace. He tells Habaek he never intended to meet him in the first place, and is too weak to fight against Hunwon now. He and the current emperor are brothers, but their very natures are opposite and it has been foretold that they will destroy each other. After the battle at The Moon Palace with Dong Wang Kong, it is unsure what becomes of him.

It'll be interesting to see the dynamics of the relationship between Habaek & Hooye if Hooye is indeed the god of agriculture. It looks like there's someone of equal standing to Habaek and worthy enough for So Ah.It'll also be interesting to find out how he plays a part in Habaek becoming Emperor of all realms.

52 minutes ago, amisyka77 said:

Wow...this is the best speculation of HoYe so far. The description suits him to the T i think. Well, now, if that's the case, could he be the candidate for the Emperor of The Realm of Gods besides Habaek?

Hmm you mean there are other candidates for Emperor? i thought it was only HB, since HB said that he was born to be emperor.

1 hour ago, LadyIgraine said:

the woman who betrayed the gods has to be from the Shim family, and the reason why I suspected that is because of what Habaek said. he said that when 'that' woman was sent back to the human world, she was given a "generous care package." by that, I'm guessing it pertains to wealth (i.e. golds, jewels, etc). the Shin family is in the resort business, and their wealth could have its origin from that ancestor who left Water Country.

Habaek might have been ensnared by this woman, and because of his honest nature (this is alluding to his character in the manhwa), he must have fallen in love with her. However, she might have had an agenda in the events leading to her living in Water Country. I'm guessing the gods and Habaek found out what her true motive was, and so that's where the eternal punishment of life long servitude came about. which reminded me of Habaek's encounter with Shin Jaya, and how her behavior reminded him of someone whom he hated. 

Soah's ancestors could have been an innocent casualty to all this, but maybe was coerced into shouldering the burden and responsibilities of becoming the servants of the gods instead. like someone had mentioned, the Shim could have tricked Soah's ancestors into becoming the servants instead in some twist of fate.

Reveal hidden contents

btw: there was a 2 part adaptation of the Tale of Shim Chung a few years ago. and lol, the guy who played the prince was I'm JuHwan. did the writer put a pun on this 

:lol:?

Hmmm that part about the care package is really interesting, i never saw it that way and if so. Then I too really think it is the Shim family, if nothing is placed for no reason, then the Shim family is in the story for that reason. And if so, then HY being adopted into the family does he have his own agenda? There must be a reason am I right?

If we go along with your theory, which I also agreed. I really want to know how that twist of fate happen. It is totally not fair that SA's ancestors got 'cursed' instead of the real Shim.

if thats the case then HY is not a demi-god but a full god like HB right? But he is not one who has the god stones, so he is in the human realm to observe and live among them? Could be why HY loves to be around trees and plant them.

51 minutes ago, ilwoo_aein said:

Official stills - handsome Habaek-nim :heart:

more under spoiler

Hide contents

That staples suit! Pfffttttt!!

I am always in awe regarding this guy. I watched School 2015 and he looked like 10 years younger in that drama when in was only aired 2 years ago. I dont know..maybe the hairstyle or he got matured in a fortnight. 

5419c6ee48dd0c3cb4eed5000f6f6f7e.jpg

19441925_1268818103231156_42243115513062

Btw, his Habaek hairstyle really suits him. It's called mullet, right? I remember ppl chided the hairdo when teasers and posters were out. A lot of ppl (who think other actors should be Habaek and not NJH) said it's funny, weird, and bad. It turned out great after all.

2 hours ago, kaoriharang said:

Hmm you mean there are other candidates for Emperor? i thought it was only HB, since HB said that he was born to be emperor.

I'm not sure how the show will play it for us. But I am sure HoOYe will fall for SoAh too and this won't sit very well with Habaek of course. I'm still neutral about HY regarding his identity as semi-god or full-god and his role in the game of the throne but for sure he is not a lesser candidate for SoAh's love partner. These 3 are bound to involve in a triangle r/ship and at the moment, with habaek being powerless, HoYe is definitely having an upperhand in the game for her attention. Let's face it...he's perfect, right?

HooYe : Handsome, stinking rich, funny ( him learning to be funny is actually funny), powerful (literally as someone with lots of money, figuratively if he really is a god) and intelligent.

Habaek : Handsome, dirt poor ( he basically living off SoAh/ Moora/ Namsoori atm), funny (in his own serious way), powerless (literally and figuratively atm ) and genius.

We are in for a fierce clash of the game of love  if we  put aside the game of the throne.

There is a lot of speculation about hoo ye's character which is fun to read. I hope we will get clues more about him in next episodes.

Tbh, i am not a fan of love triangle, been watching too much of it. However, if it does happen in this drama, i don't care much as long as any of them doesn't do any stupid act that make me scratch my head and boils my blood for their stupidity. I hope the love triangle that they may show us would be fun to watch.

40 minutes ago, amisyka77 said:

I'm not sure how the show will play it for us. But I am sure HoOYe will fall for SoAh too and this won't sit very well with Habaek of course. I'm still neutral about HY regarding his identity as semi-god or full-god and his role in the game of the throne but for sure he is not a lesser candidate for SoAh's love partner. These 3 are bound to involve in a triangle r/ship and at the moment, with habaek being powerless, HoYe is definitely having an upperhand in the game for her attention. Let's face it...he's perfect, right?

HooYe : Handsome, stinking rich, funny ( him learning to be funny is actually funny), powerful (literally as someone with lots of money, figuratively if he really is a god) and intelligent.

Habaek : Handsome, dirt poor ( he basically living off SoAh/ Moora atm), funny (in his own serious way), powerless (literally and figuratively atm ) and genius.

We are in for a fierce clash of the game of love  if we  put aside the game of the throne.

it does seem that the love triangle is going to start sometime next week, since HB is already stating his claim on SA. Though it may be more of a pride issue than love at this point.

As perfect as HY is, something about him keeps me very wary of him, I feel perhaps he could have a dark side? And right now he does remain rather aloof at times.

If Hoo Ye is really a God in disguise, it will be interesting to see how it all unfolds. So far, HY doesn't come as irritating but rather mellow and calm. He is so mysterious that if he was a God..it will be very interesting. 

@kaoriharang i also think the same. It was said HB is the one meant to be Emperor because he was born to be one. So if HY is a God in disguise, and if it follows the theories here..then it means HB was not meant to be Emperor but was fed that information? :blink:

19 minutes ago, milwon said:

There is a lot of speculation about hoo ye's character which is fun to read. I hope we will get clues more about him in next episodes.

Tbh, i am not a fan of love triangle, been watching too much of it. However, if it does happen in this drama, i don't care much as long as any of them doesn't do any stupid act that make me scratch my head and boils my blood for their stupidity. I hope the love triangle that they may show us would be fun to watch.

Haha i agree. I have a hard time swallowing love rivals especially if I have to watch them take the noble act route or the route that will make me want to throw my phone down and curse aloud haha. I hope the love rivalry will be unique and..fresh..

Archived