[KBS Drama 2016] On the Way to the Airport 공항 가는 길 Kim Ha Neul♥Lee Sang Yun | Congratulations winning Best Couple, Top Excellence-Actress & Excellence-Actor Awards

LSYfan

I hope that brings some insight to you guys,

The character synopsis in this drama, quoted from dramabeans: "Kim Haneul plays a capable veteran flight attendant who married her pilot husband when she got pregnant and now has a young daughter. Lee Sang-yoon was initially reported to be playing her husband, but that’s since changed; instead, he’d be husband to Jang Hee-jin’s character. Lee is a part-time architecture lecturer who’s said to be happily married, although Jang Hee-jin’s character fears she may lose her husband. That’s partly because she starts to discover and learn things that she hadn’t known about herself."

So I think really, it's her true identity that causes her to be so "cold-hearted", but I hope it won't be something too makjang =_=
and for Choi Yeojin's character, she knows every secret in the leads' tangled relationship. So that's something to look forward to! 

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, ObsessiveCompulsive said:

So here's what we know so far. HW hated her daughter, and stopped her from coming to Korea, while telling everyone else she was independent and loved being aboard.

Hmmm. We certainly don't "know" that Hye Won "hated" her daughter. We actually know next to nothing about what's going on inside Hye Won, apart from the fact that her daughter's death has plunged her into intense distress, which on closer inspection may turn out to be something other, or more, than grief:: it seems to have a strong component of fear or dread of something that may now ensue. But thanks to the acting, directing and camerawork, the distress is there for anyone who uses their eyes on the right parts of the screen to see. If Hye Won really had hated her daughter, we might have expected something more like relief at the news.  

As for Hye Won seriously misrepresenting Ae Ni's feelings about being away from home, that's true enough, BUT it's very plain that Ae Ni aids and abets her mother in this deception of Do Woo and granny. Despite the strong signs  that she's desperately homesick and just putting a brave face on things, she assures Do Woo that she is content to wait until the time to return is right. She'd only have to ask, and he'd sweep  her up in his arms right there and pelt off to the airport with her with the swiftness of a Kdrama hospital-bound piggyback runner. But she's not one to blindly obey maternal orders that bring suffering to her and pain to her adorred stepfather and her beloved granny -- unless she's been given a powerful and plausible reason why she needs to do so. That's why I said in my first post on the matter that Ae Ni seems to know and accept her mother's reasons for forbidding her return. That suggestion of mine was swiftly dismissed here, but no-one offered an alternative explanation of why Ae Ni would put up with her exile for so long, and only make her decision to end it after much  to-ing and fro-oing that drives Hyo Eun to distraction, Or, for that matter, wht,  having been finally induced to return by her granny's phonecall behind her mother's back, she nevertheless abandons her trip home after that brief and enigmatic call from her mother, referring to a "promise" the two of them made, and with a so-far mysterious, indeed to us incomprehensible, suggestion that Ae Ni should consider why "her father"  "sent" her to Hye Won in the first place.

Something that we DO know for sure is that Hye Won is desperate that absolutely nothing "Ae Ni's hands have touched" should remain in existence. Before telling Mae Ri to destroy everything that fits that description in Kuala Lumpur, she has herself systematically taken everything that her daughter's hands have touched from her bedroom at home and destroyed those items too. We know, too, that  she was adamant that her daughter's ashes should not only not be brought home, but be "buried" in Malaysia. As I've surmised, what the ashes and the belongings have in common is that DNA can be obtained from them. Whether that will prove to be the vital clue remains to be seen. But it's rather striking that the writer has arranged, not only for the ashes to come back unbeknown to Hye Won, which of itself needs no speculations about DNA to explain, but has also contrived for a big thing to be made about the presence in Do Woo's baggage (after several hours' waiting for it to arrive in the deserted airport) of one of the two surviving objects that Ae Ri's "hands have touched." namely that clothes iron. The other object that has escaped destuction is currently tucked away next to Su Ah's passport in her flightbag: the little ceramic bauble that granny gave Ae Ni before she left, and which she has since "carried in her pocket" day in day out and fingered frequently to get the sense that her granny was with her.

The once trendy but now long since deceased and largely forgotten French essayist Roland Barthes analysed fiction and drama with the programmatic belief that "tout signifie", that everything, absolutely everything, in a novel, story or drama has a meaning of some sort which readers or audience need to tease out (unlike the "real world" where only sufferers from serious paranoia believe that everything "means" something and that no event or object is ever random). That's a useful maxim to apply to this sort of Kdrama too. It so often turns out that everthing is there for a purpose, despite the appearance of randomness.

On 26/09/2016 at 5:50 PM, Lawyerh said:

My wish too @bubblechoco ... Im not Makjang drama type of person.. And im a bit wary to watch at first, cos of the melodrama genre in wikipedia. For now seems not so bad yet, i still can take it...

Btw i also love Yeojin's character that chic and sassy, i hope she can continue to become Soo Ah best friend and not betrayed her. I worry cos i think she and SA husband seems to have secret (she move from their apartment complex before, and seems want to avoid bump into him at any cost, eventhough she did mention about being colleague not comfortable as a reason). 

Neither do I @Lawyerh. I just hope that her true identity is not those family secrets type of thing (e.g. secret daughter / sister - GOSH this is just so outdated like back in the 80s. LOL)

I do share the same view with you on Mijin...hoping she won't betray her...but I think very likely she will (kind of)

I checked on the KBS official website and it saids "그런데 쿨한 그녀가 절친인 수아에게도 말하지 못한  비밀이 하나 있는데.. " meaning there is one secret she could not tell, even to her best friend Sooah

so it really depends..... but personally I don't think there is any secret liaison between Mijin & Jinseok

MY PRINCEEEEE LEE SANG YOON IS BACK! :wub::wub::wub:

Hi @sin hoonsim  *waving* how are you dear! Im happy to see my prince again in romantics drama... who can resist his dimple, his sad eyes and his aura? Ahahhaaha. I hope there will be many romantic scenes... and i loooveeee the cinematography team! They shoot all scene in warm manner... 

Aha i see my unnie, @nonski, you are here too? 2 dramas in 1 night. Hahaha. 

Happy watching ladies!

1 hour ago, bubblechoco said:

I checked on the KBS official website and it saids "그런데 쿨한 그녀가 절친인 수아에게도 말하지 못한  비밀이 하나 있는데.. " meaning there is one secret she could not tell, even to her best friend Sooah

The 쿨한 there is rather significant. It's the Konglish "cool" but as so often Konglish "cool" isn't always a perfect match with English "cool"  So something liek "Despite her laid-back attitudes, she has one secret she's unable to talk about, not even to her closest friend  Su Ah."

My guess is that that secret will turn out to be that she's had a fling with Jin Soek, maybe before, but possibly after his marriage. To quote one of her "laid back" apparently random asides: "Why am I always drawn to married men?   That may well come as blow to Su Ah when of it comes out, but then you don't work as a cabin crew member for 12 years without realizing that promiscuity is a rather popular hobby among a segment  of people in that industry.

BTW, I think referring to characters by the name of whoever is playing them is a recipe for confusion in threads like this (unless the comment is about the acting rather than the role, of course)  So I'd say it's it's better to refer to this character as (송)미진 rather than (최)여진,  Hence Mi Jin instead of Yeo Jin.

25 minutes ago, baduy said:

BTW, I think referring to characters by the name of whoever is playing them is a recipe for confusion in threads like this (unless the comment is about the acting rather than the role, of course)  So I'd say it's it's better to refer to this character as (송)미진 rather than (최)여진,  Hence Mi Jin instead of Yeo Jin.

Gosh what did I just type? Sorry I didn't even realise I referred her with her real name. Sorry. My bad.
Will edit my post and be more careful from now on. 

EP3 Text Preview

긴 하루를 보내고 서로의 집으로 돌아간 수아와 도우. 서로의 일상으로 돌아가지만, 도우는 삶에서 애니를 지워버리려는 혜원을 이해하기 힘들다. 한편 진석은 수아와 효은의 짐을 시어머니 영숙의 집으로 보내버리고, 일방적으로 시댁에 들어가라고 수아에게 통보한다. 일, 가정, 사방에서 내몰린 수아.

After spending a long day together, Sooah and Dowoo return to their daily lives at home. However, Dowoo find it hard to understand Hyewon as she tries to completely erase Annie from their life. Meanwhile, Jinseok sends Sooah and Hyoeun's stuff to Youngsuk his mother's place, and unilaterally informs Sooah she will start living at Youngsuk's place from now on. Sooah's career, family begins to crumble.

Just a very brief translation. Not very sure how to put the very last sentence. So just ignore it.

@bubblechoco ... 
 Great to have someone taking on these sometimes obscure (not to say occasionally downright misleading, though that's mainly an SBS previews vice) text previews. 

That last sort-of sentence (there's no main verb, as often in these previews. so strictly speaking it isn't a sentence at all) is indeed rather tough.

내몰리다 is normally "to be (forcibly) driven away" from somewhere, and the text says Su Ah is "driven away" from  일 -- her job,  and 가정  -- literally her "family", but when women say their 가정  is under threat, that's usually a reference to what a divorce attorney would call the "integrity of her family life" so saying she's driven out of  "her marriage" would probably come closest here, because she's apparently no longer being allowed to live, even for the brief periods their work schedules allow,  under the same roof as her husband.

Finally,  사방 is 四方 in Hanja, -- literally "(on all) four sides" but the 'four' isn't meant to be a literal count, it just expresses that in whichever direction she turns, in both her professional and domestic life, she feels driven out, pushed away or aside. However, I'd be very surprised if this indicates that she gets fired, not yet at least. My guess is that it refers to the red-dress brigade looking askance at her and tongue-wagging away when rumor gets out that the Sidney Gentleman is apparently back to a bachelor existence. I think overall, I'd be inclined to translate that second part of the preview along the lines of:

Meanwhile, Ji Seok has all Su Ah and Hyo Eun's things sent to his mother's house, and, without asking Su Ae's opinion, informs her that she has to move in with her mother-in-law. At work and in her marriage, Su Ae comes under pressure from all sides.

4 hours ago, bobsavero said:

MY PRINCEEEEE LEE SANG YOON IS BACK! :wub::wub::wub:

Hi @sin hoonsim  *waving* how are you dear! Im happy to see my prince again in romantics drama... who can resist his dimple, his sad eyes and his aura? Ahahhaaha. I hope there will be many romantic scenes... and i loooveeee the cinematography team! They shoot all scene in warm manner... 

Aha i see my unnie, @nonski, you are here too? 2 dramas in 1 night. Hahaha. 

Happy watching ladies!

Annyeonghaseyo @bobsavero hehehe , glad to meet you again, here supporting your prince charming (my boss) kk , is there such a guy (Seo Do Woo) with a pure & innocent heart ... In this world? 

7 hours ago, caranthir_idril said:

hi everyone,

my 1st posting in this thread. im so in love with this drama. i love the cinematography and made me more in love with this drama is their filming it in my country. so proud of it.

and of coz the storyline is so interesting and fresh. not like other typical korean drama out there.

Welcome to the thread and enjoy the drama. It's well made, well thought of drama.  Yes, we are all in consensus the cinematography,  the frame for each scenes, the tone, the setting, the mood, the acting,  the way its' directed and even the  background music it's just right. Nothing so much melodramatic that it turns  sappy  but instead beauty in all it's sadness.  Lets hope totality of the drama, the over all production can be maintained throughout the drama. 

OT: 2015 KBS drama IRY/ Hello Monster had similar attributes in terms of the production values and over all aspects of drama. Well written and directed.  If you wanna see  nice framing of scenes wonderful editing story, and acting watch that.

@baduy Hi. Yes, I hear what you are saying about Hye Won and our lack of understanding of the possible reasons for her actions.  You make a very persuasive case for the idea of DNA evidence being important.  That seems possible, even though I don't know why the DNA of a dead girl would matter.  It's harder to believe, though, that Ae Ni bought into her mother's need for her to stay away. The Dramabeans reviewer called Ae Ni's reaction to her mother's phone call "hysterical." Ae Ni was running blindly into traffic when she was killed.

I hope there is an as yet unexplained  DNA reason behind the exile of Ae Ni both alive and dead. I am hoping that Hye Won's need for her daughter to stay away was not because she wanted to concentrate on her art. Or worse yet, as someone suggested, that she felt threatened by Ae Ni's talent.

Love reading your posts although I may not agree with everything you say. Years back could only watch kdrama rebroadcast on public access TV here. Online streaming has opened this world. 

It's great to be able to watch, discuss,  cheer,  agree or disagree like this across countries and cultures. Grateful for the chance to share.

Pilot Episode

201609212242771787_57e292fb7f578_99_2016

Screen+Shot+2016-09-21+at+3.29.16+PM.png

Osen - Naver: 'On The Way to the Airport', Kim Ha Neul ♥ Lee Sang Yoon, here comes the autumn melo couple 

1. [+3,686, -136] It's natural for a man and woman to fall in love.. but first, get a divorce.. Hoping this drama won't glorify affairs

2. [+2,130, -141] As long as it's not a drama about affairs... The cast is good and don't let the story wander off..Please!!

3. [+1,872, -130] I watched the entire episode and it's so much better than I thought. Seems like something is going on with Choi Yeo Jin and Kim Ha Neul's husband

4. [+1,415, -126] I like the drama's title, it feels very autumn-y. I didn't expect much but there's a tranquil vibe to it and the directing is nice

5. [+1,095, -127] They match better than I thought.. The directing, BGM and cast are all good.. The child actress from 'The Wailing' was random though.. Anyway, it looks like a drama I'll keep up with

6. [+317, -35] Really liking the calm vibes and the camera compositions

Spoiler

20160921_1474466573_16030600_1.jpg

tv Report - Nate: 'Airport', Lee Sang Yoon ♥ Kim Ha Neul, love story that transcends affair 
1. [+534, -12] Even if it's only a drama, let's not glorify affairs. This is why people who are having affairs say nonsense like "we're in love"

2. [+492, -18] Who are you kidding? An affair is an affair, not a love story

3. [+426, -17] Since when did an affair drama become a love story???

Credit : http://kkuljaem.blogspot.com/2016/09/spoilers-jealousy-incarnate-shopping.html

@thephamle I can be wrong…. Maybe my contacts are just playing tricks on me…  Do confirm if you do see those details. I have to agree with you that JS treats SA more like a maid verses a wife. Even his mom is evil.

@jongski  Thanks… I had to watch twice just to read sub and watch their interactions. I want to doubt BUT I am getting the same feeling as you about SMJ sleeping with JS. I think she probably slept with JS not knowing SA and them became friends with her or the other way around…  I do get the vibe that SMJ has a deeper or more intimate connecting to JS.

@baduyI am only putting JS as a potential as SA Ex because they are not living together and no wedding rings. MAYBE they are doing this just to make their daughter happy and not feel sad. Dispite, you don’t address “YOUR Home” especially coming from a married couple. It should have been “OUR Home/House”.

@inner Nothing is confirm yet… if you connect the dots… I am positive they are NOT living together…

May I first say, how beautiful is this drama? I'm hardly a cinematography-inclined person, but the aesthetic of the scenes, the editing, the BGM timings are on a different level from the usual TV fare. That splitscreen with the two leads heading to meet and Sua in that red uniform going down the escalator to Dowoo is now in my personal list of iconic drama scenes.

Second, Jinsuk reminds me of my own father so much that... I'd say "it's not funny," but the resemblance is so intense that it shoots past triggering to painfully hilarious. I know that kind of man and father who wants everything his way and thinks you're never good enough, yet has the audacity to play around. He was also hardly there for me, put me in a school dorm (though we're all in the same city!!) and talked to my mom as if she knew nothing and occasionally, like she was an employee/assistant. (The difference being they separated when I was quite young.) That scene wherein he'd talk down to his daughter into doing his command then pinch her cheek to pretend affection when other people were there? That sent me into intense flashbacks.

And honestly, I'm a bit disturbed that many viewers are excusing his behavior as tough love. It may be comical to outsiders, but seeing your parent so two-faced destroys trust. And well-meaning or not, that kind of dismissive treatment scars you forever. There IS a middle ground between letting your kids do whatever they want and that unyielding authoritarianism.

As for Hyewon, while I do hope that there's some meaningful reason to why she was so cruel to Annie, I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't. It wouldn't be the first time an actress portrays the hints of depth for a character that turns out to have none. Unintentional red herrings aren't exactly uncommon in Kdramas. It could turn out that Hyewon simply hated Annie as a reminder that despite what she has achieved now, she will never be perfect, not with the shame of Annie's birth. It could be that her tears aren't those of grief, but guilt that she can't even feel the kind of pain that other parents with the same loss do, and the fear we see isn't by some yet unseen cause but because she's afraid to lose Dowoo should he realize just how truly lacking she is as a mother.

On the other hand, Jang Heejin is often cast into dark yet complex roles, so it's entirely possible that we may see an understandable reason for her coldness to her own daughter.

I don't know yet what I want for the leads. Sua's marriage feels like one push could send the whole cracked structure toppling down (Jinsuk's infidelity will probably be the catalyst). But at least on the surface, Dowoo and Hyewon seem to genuinely care about each other. The only major issue (and it is a deal-breaker) is the matter of Hyewon's puzzling relationship to her own blood daughter. Sua should probably get out of her marriage for her own good (especially if their marriage was simply out of obligation rather than love), but Dowoo's case isn't as clear-cut. I would dearly love to see Sua and Dowoo get together--it took all of two episodes to show how their values, their warmth, and their perspectives simply match and they would've been the perfect couple had they met as single people. But of course I want to see them do right by their current relationships. Maybe a time skip that shows they both tried to make their marriages work yet ultimately failed could do it?

Or it could be that this drama defies expectations and answers the question in its premise, that this woman and this man could indeed maintain a pure companionship as platonic soulmates, even if Sua divorces Jinsuk and Dowoo stays with Hyewon.

I have no idea yet what could happen, but I'm in no hurry to get answers. I'm lulled by the quiet sparkle of this drama and I'm letting it take me wherever.

Oh  knetz comments about adultery and affairs.  Damn, I remember my TGW experience.

I want to say something about affairs, infidelity but I experienced long post flak./opposition from "The Good Wife" thread so I've learned my lesson- to just keep my thoughts to myself esp sensitive issues.  However, just a backdrop - In that TGW thread I was pushing for sanctity of marriage and for leads (YJT JDY) to work their problem (but most wants YKS JDW end up together) divorce was the answer main lead wasn't happy about husband infidelity.

It'the reverse situation for this drama it seems.  One can change principles with what suits drama needs - don't glorify affairs, keep sanctity of marriage.... even if it's a loveless one already?  But no matter how hard one tries to fix a marriage and make it work, if the other spouse is not willing, not giving effort, doesn't have that love anymore...does one still stay stuck in the marriage?

So is there double standard in dramas or with how viewers ( like me I suppose)with perception and reaction? Or I'm totally off base with my post and just blabbing?

To cut short this confusing thought of mine. I want our leads here to end up together. They should divorce their spouses. Hyoeun is smart and old enough to understand things, if Sooah will explain. ( in the TGW I wanted for the leads to work out the marriage...despite  hubby affairs)

I don't think drama is glorifying  affairs. Okay, jongski will refrain from blabbing now :D

@baduy Thanks for the clarification, and your translations are always appreciated.:)

Ah is it time for episode 3 yet? I should've waited to marathon this one:cry:.

I noticed in episode 1 when Annie speak to her mother in the airport she has that green "hair tie" on her wrist, the same kind that DW gave to SA when she sweating running around on the airplane. I don't think anything in this drama is based of off mere coincidence so I wonder what the significance of that was?. And did grandma have a feeling that HW was speaking to Annie on the phone, and will grandma be the one to find out somethings about HW?

@jongski I think there is a lot of story to be told to come to the conclusion that this show is "glorifying adultery". We know from the synopsis that JS and SA married because she became pregnant and leads us to believe they did it for the child, and we also see that their relationship is certainly not the most loving and he is constantly treating her like a child, But SA is also painted almost too sweet to stand up for herself. I always noticed that JS and SA have twin beds in their bedroom, it wasn't shown yet, but you can see it through the crack when opens the door. Where as we know nothing about DW and HW relationship except that she didn't want her daughter in Korea. I think the mail leads have a lot of chemistry and similarities, and through that I hope they fall in love and have a happily after, but I also hope the writer does it in a tasteful way in which we can support them whole heartedly.

29325784224_61e3ffa31f_z_d.jpg

Just completed EP 2-- A beautifully produced drama with a wonderful group of great actresses and actors.

I do not see CSA & SDW being physically together at the end of this drama-- at best they will be fond memories in each other's heart of a love that could not be.

I am very much getting an "All About Marriage" (which was a 2010 Kdrama) vibe from the story.

As often as not in Kdrama world, a cheating husband does not result in the married couple breaking up for good-- particularly when the wife is as sweet and caring as CSA is in this drama- she will give him a second chance, once he has been redeemed.  

I submit the following in support of my statement 
- CSA & PJS have a child together - Conservative SK
- It has been made clear that PJS Mother is all about her own comfort and how she wants to be carefree - easy to see how PJS would grow up wanting the same.
- The OST at the end of EP 2 basically points to-- is OK to keep a love buried deep in your mind.  

I see a sad love story of a sweet platonic love between CSA & SDW in which SDW Helps CSA realize her full potential and grow to be proud of herself-- right now she is consistently put down, talked down to, by her husband PJS and does not stand up for herself and what she wants/needs.

SDW will also serve as the catalyst that opens PJS eyes to what a beautiful loving wife CSA has been and he will change to being a better husband, due to the risk of losing her forever.

I would guess as time goes on we will learn of some kind of tragic background about KHW which will make her more readily accepted as SDW wife.

Man LSY got his "glassy eyes-sad-longing for a hug" look down! Love him :wub: 

Currently I can't hate on CSA's husband just yet because he just seems like a tough love kinda father/husband...UNLESS, we find out later on that he's had an affair with one of the air stewardesses...(I want that to happen cause I want CSA and SDW together hehehe)

SDW's wife...girl is complicated and too damn mysterious for me, also not loving her vibe when it comes to her dead daughter...feeling like she's trying so hard to grieve.

Basically, CSA and SDW need to be together! Their chemistry is literally oozing outta my laptop!! Not a fan of affairs guys don't get me wrong...I only want them to be together AFTER they've sorted out their marriages cause honestly, I don't think they are in happy ones...just saying~

Archived