[Drama 2016/2017] The Legend of The Blue Sea 푸른 바다의 전설

ilwoo_aein

38 minutes ago, CallieP said:

@leeminhosny: Ha Ha :D. Liked your speeding up the gif. What a little speed can change the kiss from tender to passionate and racy. Liked it.  Looked liked a hungry kiss by just speeding it up. After 5 years of separation, the kiss should be like this. :lol:

yes, they will meet and the kiss should be like this I want to this:grin:

• Like 3

@Alice Mendoza @Hunter White @nika94 @Moonrain @rhiesta @mythicalove @gentlelily12 @leeminhosny @CarolynH @minekas @Kris Silva @Chellsee @babyval22 @CallieP @Kim Ngân Trần and everyone else

I’m really, really loving reading everyone’s comments and ideas!  Keep ‘em coming.  Wednesday is still so far away.

I like this comment I found on asianwiki.  I agree that the drama is subtle, but I find it very satisfying.

“LOTBSfan Dec 29 2016 10:46 am This drama is different from other dramas what we often have to watch. The story looks so simple, yet it has a huge depth we can understand slowly when think about it carefully. Even we don't understand that depth or hints, it doesn't matter to feel the story at all. But if you watch this and you are keen enough, you can clearly understand that this is not a simple romance, fantasy drama what it seems.”

I think LOTBS appeals to viewers (like me) who enjoy classic movies like Roman Holiday.  (Nam-doo wanted to name her Oh Do Ri for a reason.)  I think the ratings should have been higher (considering the ratings of other dramas this year), but obviously modern Korean viewers have a different taste.

tumblr_ok6qptkj1J1w2zf0ho1_540.png

I had to watch a different sub version to dig out the latest nickname from Nam-doo:

불사 신 (immortal/invincible) Chung

The Chungies that I hope to see in the finale:

Beauty Chung, Mermaid Chung, Immortal Chung, and one more please

I am confident that I will love the ending.  Writer-nim has always followed up on her clues and foreshadowings, so I feel good about what we will see on Wednesday.  Looking forward to it, my friends.

The filming pics suddenly make me think that they need to finally have their Namsan date.

• Like 11

@1ouise

1) Agree! This drama is very satisfying. I love all the different genre elements that this drama touches: comedy, thriller, fantasy, romance, etc. While there are certain things I would change, there are numerous details that I found very interesting and would have never expect it to happen.

I've often pictured from the beginning that HJJ would find out SC is a mermaid by witnessing it from his eyes. I even thought if I could guess one thing correctly from this drama, that would definitely be it. It seems like an obvious answer. To my pleasant surprise, the writer did not make it happen that way. Because of that, the way HJJ found out about SC's identity was unexpected and more satisfying than I had imagined. It makes so much sense that he finds out only when he loves her, and when he heard her voice, he truly did love her. If I can name just one special element about this show, it would have to be that. So many of my favorite moments are associated with the fact that he can hear her voice. 

A) Discovering she is a mermaid

B ) The kiss to ease her worries over whether he liked her or not

C) HJJ learning that his death could cause her's

D) SC speaking to him as she collapsed into his arms, telling him that she is happy she was able to protect him this time around and for him to live happily without her

But of course, that's not the only thing I find special about this drama. And while I'm at it, I'll just name another one. I simply loved the fact that KDR Was able to see through HJJ's life and how he meticulously constructed a plan that would help HJJ remember his past. I had a lot of fun watching HJJ discover his past and connect the missing pieces. The show has done well in meshing the two and it makes me not only believe but also feel, in every inch of my body, that they are of one soul. 

There is a depth in this drama that can only be appreciated if one understands it. So I agree with the comment you've posted, you must be keen enough to know how special it is. 

2) About the ratings, it's ok. It's hard for most dramas to even score a percentage of 15. Considering that LOTBS has been marking above 15% since the beginning of its run, they did very well. Let alone, they passed the 20% mark, with their highest recorded number at 21 (narionwide). Aside that, they've managed to be a hit all across Asia. Therefore, they have been very successful. 

3) I, too, want to see all those cheongie again in the last episode. Let me suggest the last and new cheongie we should see --> "bride cheong." How does that sound? Hehehe. 

4) Agree! They need to finish their date at the namsan tower!  

----------

It's raining cats and dogs here and it somehow makes me remember and miss them more. 

• Like 11

Sharing Fate

QoUsCSE.jpg

LotBS is one of the rare love stories where the OTP feels real, despite the supernatural element, and even in the moments of the deepest angst and greatest heartbreak there is still hope and happiness to be found. Left with no other known option to save his mermaid lover, Joon Jae decides to send Shim Chung back to the sea, following the same choice Dam Ryung made more than 400 years ago 

• placing the jade bracelet on her wrist (fittingly, the yellow sequin minidress being a throwback to the pink one SC was wearing when JJ pulled the bracelet from her wrist, the sequins symbolizing mermaid’s fin scales), 
  • begging her not to erase his memories (because that would mean he would truly lose her forever and he could never bear it
  • and then kiss her, pouring in that kiss all his love and longing and heartbreak. 

2XSW1Ex.jpg

It may seem that the history is repeating itself, but once again it isn’t really true because DR’s reason for sending SH away was different, their situation was different, he didn’t have to worry her heart would stop beating on land because she never spend enough time there to begin with. Back then Se Hwa couldn’t keep herself away from DR and she returned to him afterwards - that will repeat again. She will find him and he will come to her.

QgFAkB2.jpg

• Like 12

The Ultimate Love

“If there’s another way, tell me. Please. Tell me there is one.” 

There are people who keep blaming the writer for unneccessary and illogical angst because according to them SC’s heart shouldn’t be dying because Jeon Jae loves her - there are no doubts about the fact that she knows he would never leave her. So the question is why should she be still waning and suffering on land?

“There is only one way you can continue to breathe and keep your heart beating on land. It is only possible when the person you love loves you back. There is no other way your heart can continue to beat passionately.”

The problem is that everyone takes the Merman’s words as a Holy writ. SC might have known nothing, but he DID NOT KNOW EVERYTHING. The thing is that his explanation is probably only a part of the much more complex truth. What’s more, Jung Hoon’s claims were proven to be wrong before - that there is no human on earth who could accept them as mermaids - yet there is Joon Jae who actually fell in love with SC’s oddity and now there is even Nam Do.

tumblr_ok7berw0Mh1s8t96qo1_540.png

If you look at all the love stories between a supernatural being and a human - the way to the happy ending is always the human’s love which would turn the supernatural being into a human and they would happily ever after. As if being human was the better, superior option. As if two different species couldn’t live together happily unless one of them changed their entire nature, the very meaning who they are. And that idea is deeply wrong. Because how can it be love if it requires you to change your very nature, to change what is making you yourself, all the things that are special about you?

TriyCod.jpg

“There is no human on earth who can accept us as mermaids, the way we are.”

And that might be the answer to the question - a way for JJ and SC to be together. In this story there is no magical potion or kiss which would turn the mermaid into a human. The ultimate love is about accepting SC’s mermaid nature, all of it, and learn to adapt one’s life to it - she can live on land, but she can’t live without the sea. She is a mermaid and she will never stop being one so she will need occasionally return there. Jeon Jae has always been good at adapting the human world in such a way SC could live in it (the sauna, the gumboots,…) HE WILL FIND A WAY THIS TIME, TOO - because just because people don’t know about a way doesn’t mean there isn’t one. Inheriting his father’s money and a real estate company, he is a chaebol heir now - his options are immense - he can build a perfect mermaid-friendly house by the sea. Didn’t he mention that the lease on his house will be over in a year and half? He will need some place where to move all the stuff, won’t he?

tumblr_ok7berw0Mh1s8t96qo6_540.png

• Like 10

I'm listening to the various OST from LBS on iTunes.  Almost all of them make me tear up (or pearl up-lol) except Fool by Ken.  I can just picture the scene when I listen to the music.  The most popular songs are You are my world and If Only.  I bought Love Story, but I probably will buy those other two.  There really was a lot of good music used in the drama.

• Like 7

[Drama Review] 'The Legend of The Blue Sea' - Episode 17

lee-min-ho-jun-ji-hyun_1484443371_af_org

Once again, I continue to find myself absorbed in the dynamic plot of 'The Legend of The Blue Sea.' From the intense rush that can be found in the storyline to the build up and suspense in the dialogue - this drama is sending viewers on an emotional journey, with episode 17 being a real heart breaker! 

Although love seemed to be the main theme of this drama, it has taken a turn for the worse - but in a good way. The drama opened up some new boundaries and created a more attention-grabbing plot than it could have with its first episode. Hopefully we will find some comfortable resolve in Shim Cheong and Heo Joon Jae's relationship in the last remaining episodes, but for now, it is all about the action!

Romance wise, I'm surprisingly pleased to find myself enjoying the fact that the drama put a pause to the lovey-dovey scenarios in order to address the critical situation at hand. However, I still feel pained by seeing Cha Si Ah receive Heo Joon Jae's rather direct rejection in the long run.

She captured the broken-hearted drunk girl at a noraebang perfectly - which makes her character real and relatable than before. Sometimes emotional trauma is what makes a character more enjoyable.

[READ MORE - ALLKPOP]

• Like 10

I just had to stop what I was doing and give a shout out to @briseis! Your explanation is amazing and absolutely correct. I agree that the problem arose from the merman's theory. Like you've pointed out though, the merman has been proven wrong multiple times: 1) his lover did love him but he died anyway and 2) following the course of SC on land, her heart never did stop hardening even after she knew HJJ loved her. The merman came onto land before SC and learned as he lived there. Whatever he knew or thought he knew, he passed down to SC. But his words is but his way of viewing a world he doesn't know and discovering for himself. Therefore, he can be wrong. 

I absolutely agree! Love is when you love someone and accept them wholeheartedly. It would not be love if you change someone and in the end, it's just the truth that SC is a mermaid and her natural habitat is the sea, therefore, she cannot live without it. I've always figured this had to be true one way or another. Therefore, like you said, HJJ must find a way to adapt. If he loves her, and he does, then his love will have to sacrifice increments of his life with her to allow her to go back to sea. A lot of us on here agreed that he must, must, buy a house with the sea as the backyard. There, she can swim to her heart's content and return home to him after. 

• Like 10