[Mainland Chinese Drama 2017] Tribes and Empires: Storm of Prophecy 九州·海上牧云记

sugarplum892

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

640812a71fcd2c289585b7002ac6f158.jpg

Shawn Dou, Xu Lu, Janice Man and Zhou Yiwei take the stage as the main leads. Huang Xuan who is also the main protagonist couldn't make it due to a change in the date of the event that caused a conflict with his schedule as he was already off filming on another location. 

e0d435c94a0e393be234e4d3f74aea59.jpg0093bb619223c3d3c91433a7d283defd.jpg

Spoiler

dbff8ad78955c5010e42e4ecd79abf00.jpg46fb1de60f57ba20057098fb89d7fa06.jpg

On 11/13/2017 at 2:22 AM, Cedric Ong said:

For the costumes....came across this japanese website....really detailed. U can click the pics to see full screen.

Page 1 :

http://muyunji.blog.jp/search/公開

Page 2 :

http://muyunji.blog.jp/search/公開?p=2

Page 3 :

http://muyunji.blog.jp/search/公開?p=3

From same site, i also saw a map of the fantasy world the story is set in. The eastern coast outline look abit like China but definitely the inner seas aren't.

Thanks for sharing. The costumes look very beautiful. I especially liked the purple gown-the embroidery there is amazing.

On 11/12/2017 at 2:11 AM, 40somethingahjumma said:

I'm amused by the fact that all the male leads have compound surnames. Is it the latest thing in C dramas?

80 episodes scares the heck out of me especially because C dramas have a terrible reputation with their backends and resolutions (or non-resolutions). The show looks amazing on so many levels but the thought that the first half or 2/3s is great and then the hatchet job comes along is holding me back from getting on board. The big selling point now is the fact that all the male leads have their own girls... I'm in serious need of a mental health break from love triangles which seemed to be out in full force this year.

It will be nice to see Shawn in something where he's not the bad guy.

To be honest, the 80 episode length scares me as well. It's been my experience that large episode counts lead to a lot of filler, weakening the storyline. I am afaid that the story will not hold up for the long haul. I do wish that they could have kept to the original 50 episode count- I would feel a bit better about things, even though 50 episodes is really long as well. I wish C Dramas could  understand the concept that a fewer episode, tightly written drama more often leads to higher quality overall, but I understand that they need many episodes because of how their TV industry operates.  No question that the producers went all out on the production values for this drama-everything looks gorgeous. From the trailers, the story looks compelling and the acting seems good. I really hope and pray that the drama delivers on all counts-script, acting, directing, cinematography, production values. I am hoping that the minimal use of CGI in the trailers will translate to the whole drama. I keep looking at the mainstream drama sites, but so far no liscensing announcements. I am praying hard that the drama gets subbed, but hope is fading as we get closer to premiere date. I would prefer not to have fansubs on You Tube, since they are often more problematic, but if that is the only option, I'll take it (and gladly thank the volunteers).  Only 1 more week to go before we can finally get a good look at this drama!

5 hours ago, Table122000 said:

To be honest, the 80 episode length scares me as well. It's been my experience that large episode counts lead to a lot of filler, weakening the storyline. I am afaid that the story will not hold up for the long haul. I do wish that they could have kept to the original 50 episode count- I would feel a bit better about things, even though 50 episodes is really long as well. I wish C Dramas could  understand the concept that a fewer episode, tightly written drama more often leads to higher quality overall, but I understand that they need many episodes because of how their TV industry operates.  No question that the producers went all out on the production values for this drama-everything looks gorgeous. From the trailers, the story looks compelling and the acting seems good. I really hope and pray that the drama delivers on all counts-script, acting, directing, cinematography, production values. I am hoping that the minimal use of CGI in the trailers will translate to the whole drama. I keep looking at the mainstream drama sites, but so far no liscensing announcements. I am praying hard that the drama gets subbed, but hope is fading as we get closer to premiere date. I would prefer not to have fansubs on You Tube, since they are often more problematic, but if that is the only option, I'll take it (and gladly thank the volunteers).  Only 1 more week to go before we can finally get a good look at this drama!

It's certainly one of the problems with Princess Agents, on top of everything else that went south at the end... the inconsistent subs and the odd choice of vocab here and there. Sure, they were largely functional and for the most part okay but yeah, it would have been better if DramaFever or Viki had taken it on. A lot of things went astray in translation.

I should say that I'm not familiar with the story of Tribes so I can't say if 80 episodes is warranted. Even if it is, I can't be sure that they won't squander their opportunities. With three main pairings and their individual arcs I can see that a longer series might be needed to tell everyone's stories but I wouldn't be surprised if the middle sags as they usually do.

All I can hope for is that we get some genuine resolution whether it be happy or tragic.

8 hours ago, Table122000 said:

i mean game of thrones is almost at 70 episodes already and its still good

i have my hopes up for tribes and empires considering the amount of work and budget they put into it

13 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

It's certainly one of the problems with Princess Agents, on top of everything else that went south at the end... the inconsistent subs and the odd choice of vocab here and there. Sure, they were largely functional and for the most part okay but yeah, it would have been better if DramaFever or Viki had taken it on. A lot of things went astray in translation.

I should say that I'm not familiar with the story of Tribes so I can't say if 80 episodes is warranted. Even if it is, I can't be sure that they won't squander their opportunities. With three main pairings and their individual arcs I can see that a longer series might be needed to tell everyone's stories but I wouldn't be surprised if the middle sags as they usually do.

All I can hope for is that we get some genuine resolution whether it be happy or tragic.

I'm not familiar with the novel either. I tried to find out information about the book, but wasn't able to. I did find some information about other books in the Novoland series, and they seem to be around 280-300 pages long. The exception is Novoland:Eagle Flag which is 5 volumes, but this story is by a different author. A poster on a different forum said that the book is short, and felt 80 episodes was too long, but who knows. If it's like the other Novoland books, then I'm assuming around 300 pages, which I agree would be hard to spin out to 80 episodes. However, this production may be adding additional storylines/material that wasn't in the original book. Regardless, I am hoping that this drama will not drag and that the storyline will be cohesive, coherent, and engaging to the end, along with a good ending that makes sense, as you've said. 

10 hours ago, areudumborwhat said:

i mean game of thrones is almost at 70 episodes already and its still good

i have my hopes up for tribes and empires considering the amount of work and budget they put into it

Game of Thrones is different in that the drama has adapted 5  really long novels (shortest is 694 pages)  and is now writing original episodes for the latest season. Tribes and Empires is 1 novel, so there is a lot more material in GOT  for the 70 episode count as compared to Tribes.  If anything, GOT is the model of more concise storytelling.  However, I join you in hoping that Tribes and Empires will be a top quality drama because they have definitely put a lot of money and work into the production values. One good thing that I read on another forum is that it seems the actors are all using their own voices and aren't dubbed. I hope that is true since sometimes dubbing can make the actors look awkward because of synching issues.

While I don't think this is the right forum to discuss about this but I do have a problem with Chinese drama dubbing their actors and actresses.  The accents can be hard to listen sometime but you can judge an actor/actress overall performance in not just their physical performance but their voices acting as well.  While it’s kinda mean but I do hope that some of these long episodes series are not doing well with the rating so it can send a clear message to all of these production companies that people want quality, concise storyline and not fillers.  Nothing scream the series is going to be draggy than having a lot of episodes.   

Preview for the 1st few episodes....the main chars are still teens, acted by younger actors. The scenes are abit messy but u can hear more of the dialogue....think mainly about the prophesy and the adults wanting to kill these teens....and the empress talking about being unloved.

I'm quite impressed by the empress acted by Jiang Qinqin. 

Sidetrack about the actress Jiang Qinqin as the Empress. 

Spoiler

Jiang Qinqin 蒋勤勤 also known as Shui Ling 水灵 , she was known as 2nd Dream in the 2001 martial arts drama Wind and Cloud 风云雄霸天下. When younger, she look very pretty esp in period/martial arts dramas.

41143c8b8f0946b2ad88d7aaaca55760_th.jpg

And also as the real life wife of the actor Chen Jianbin 陈建斌 who is famous as the emperor in 2011 drama Empresses in the Palace/ Legend of Zhen Huan 后宫·甄嬛传. She and the actress Sun Li share abit of resemblance....so they joked that in the drama, the late empress Chun Yuan whom the Emperor had loved would have been acted by his real wife.

13262-20170321114214289.jpg

8431-1512211I554-53.jpg

Archived