[Drama 2016] The Royal Gambler 대박

Go Seung Ji

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Jackpot" Episode 1

photo706754.jpg

In the new slew of dramas "Jackpot" came in on top at 11.8% again "Monster - 2016" (7.3%) and "Neighborhood Lawyer Jo Deul-ho" (10.1%). Director Nam Geon's directing style is grand and direct, while Kwon Soon-gyoo's writing takes on its trademark meandering style. The two don't quite fit together, but the epic quality of the first episode cannot be denied, especially not with the exquisite background score and crisply filmed scenes.

This first episode doesn't boast of the headliners. Jang Geun-seok as Baek Dae-gil makes a torturously short appearance, which seems a bit of a cheat after all the hype surrounding his return after a long acting hiatus. The "You're Beautiful" star hasn't had much luck in drama or film since his raging success in 2010 and is hoping for a solid comeback. That remains to be seen. And Yeo Jin-goo, well, we got to see about ten seconds of his face.

jackpot1jackpot2

The episode focused mostly on the pitiable Bok-soon (Yoon Jin-seo) and her gambling-addicted husband Baek Man-geum (Lee Moon-sik). While her plight is moving, the repetition of her tears and her fights with her husband, followed by his numerous trips to the gambling house was troublesome. It reminded me of the circular travels of the plot in "Goddess of Fire". Similar loops were found in "Warrier Baek Dong-soo" although that drama as a whole was much stronger than "Goddess of Fire". I worry that the plot will focus mostly on gambling strategies and games rather than forward motion and character development. This episode saw over fifteen minutes of a gambling game. Not to mention King Sukjong (Choi Min-soo) spends most of his time chasing after a woman. It makes him seem desperate, and a bit laughable.

The absolute highlight of the episode was the music. It was glorious and well composed, arranged and put together. That was followed up by a close second: the cinematography. The choreography of the opening shots with the juxtaposed black and white colors, the falling snow, and the slow motion fighting was simply stunning. It was also a tad cheesy, but the beauty it what was to be appreciated.

jackpot3jackpot4

The often type-casted Jeon Kwang-ryeol does a good job as Lee In-jwa despite the fact that he's been relegated to yet another villanous role. Jeon has been in many of Writer Kwon's works and his roles don't vary much. I do appreciate this in "Jackpot" his villain is a bit more subtle in approach. He manipulates people into doing his bidding rather than cackle and maim outright.

I admit, I don't see what the hype is about yet, but I'm hoping the show proves me wrong.

HanCinema viewers, what did you think of this episode? Are you anticipating good things of Jang Geun-seok's comeback and Yeo Jin-goo's first adult role?

Written by: Raine from 'Raine's Dichotomy'

http://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-drama-review-jackpot-episode-1-92872.html

first ep  review...

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sook-jong told him, "You have no excuse if you lose Bok-soon. Since you bet such a precious person on this game, let me bet some silver". Sook-jong was victorious.

WOW THE KING IS RIGHT!!!THAT GAMBLER HAS NO EXCUSE FOR WHAT HE DID TO HIS WIFE!WAS A FOOL AND THE KING HAD NO SCRUPLES!POOR SOOKBIN CHOI!!!THE KING KNEW EVERYTHING ABOUT THEM HE DID SOME RESEARCH...KNEW THAT FOOLISH MAN WEAKNESS PLAYED DIRTY!BOTH MEN DID SO WRONG...PLAYED A WOMAN FATE AND LIFE!!!I'M CURIOS HOW WILL HE END BEEING DAEGIL FATHER?DID HE STOLE HIM OR SAVED HIM FROM BEEING KILLED ?WAS A PREMATURE BABY IT SEEMS ...DID THEY THINK WAS BAEK BABY?IT WAS BUFFERING SO MUCH YESTERDAY!WHEN HUSBAND BET THE RINGS I ONLY HEARD WORD OWNER AND I YHOUGHT THAT MAYBE TOLD HIM TO GIVE ITS BACK TO THE OWNER ...BUT NO, THE KING WANTED THE OWNER OF THE RINGS FROM THE START SHE WAS THERE FOR HER!!!STUPID BAEK JUST WANTED TO WIN HER BACK FROM HONG MAE THE CASSINO OWNER!IN THE END THAT STUPID MAN WILL LOSE EVERYTHING...

19 minutes ago, andy78 said:

Jackpot (Korean Drama)-Song Jong-Ho.jpg  Kim Yi-Soo ...HATES the king !I wonder if is Jackpot (Korean Drama)-Lim Ji-Yeon.jpg Dam-Seo dad she wants revenge for

The King killed many people so all of them want to revenge. 

Daegil is unlucky baby, but he can survive that is a miracle story. Iam waiting to see Daegil soon. :P

cre: tw

CepwbtDWIAAQ977.jpg:large

Some information on Joseon coins "常平通寶" (Sang pyeong Tong Bo,  상평통보) or & its Mint marking

474679923_m.jpg

This is the "Head" of the Sang Pyeong Tong Bo (常平通寶 상평통보)

During the reign of Sukjong (肅宗) in 1678 had ordered that additional mints be established to produce Sang Pyeong Tong Bo coins usage was strengthened as an implementation of an economy based on money instead of cloth or rice

Sang Pyeong Tong Bo coins were mint from 1633 to 1891 & continue to circulate for over 300 years. In additional to large number of government & military mints that minted coins, there are privately cast coin minted as well

Sukjong use this coin to play "coin spin" for  head & tails with Baek Mun Geum

kshui.jpg

This is the "tail" of the coin that was played This coin is minted by " 御营廳" (Eoyeongcheong, 어영청, Royal Commandery Divisionwith the Mint marks of " 营 or 營 "

Baek man geum is crazy. Betting your wife because of your addiction? What kinda behaviour is that? That woman has been with you despite having nothing and he still took things away from her just to bet? He truly doesn't deserve her. 

started stupid husband lost his wife to the king he beggs the king...Hong Mae said will sent her to him ...she is taken stupid husband is beaten by noona men...he dropped the rings ... Lee In-Jwa approched him told him he lost his wife to the king...so evil

stupid man goes to the palace gates ...the king finally got what he want ...the woman of his dreams ...his voice telling is his woman now...belongs to him...foolish gambler is free now...going to meet the king begging in front of king...worthless man!is buffering so much ...the stupid husband wants revenge...he bet again...that if will rain king needs to sent his wife back to him  i think...is raining that loser is happy that won...

his wife just arrived...she has enough ...why sould i come back to you?she asked...stupid man beggs forgiveness...she said she won't be back to him and finally leaves that loser for good

OsKs .... I's hooked. :)

I've always had a weakness for historical fiction, especially when the history backing up the fiction is solid. I understand the need for license, but keep the "bones" in tact. After all, what's flesh without bones? 

I wanted to express a shoutout and thank you to @gerrytan8063 for giving the historical facts. Since my first intro into Kdrama was historical fiction, and it was almost pure fiction, I've been interested in the history of Korea. If you have a chance, and are so inclined, could you recommend some English reading, books, websites, that I can read? 

Lee In-Jwa and Kim YISOO talk about his plan to control the kings...who will be next...time jump 6 month later...a baby is born...a prince ...drunk husband also hears...everybody talKing about that premature baby...i bet think is not king's baby...even the ministers ... Jang Ok-Jung and her child...king is happy to see the prince... Jang Ok-Jung  talking with sookbin Choi...she is holding her baby...sookbin Choi begged Kim YIsoo help...she needs to make it look like her baby is dead ...please help me for you also have a daughter...Lord Kim looked for a dead baby ...they replaced him with Daegil ...sookbin Choi gave the baby the rings ...Lord Kim BROUGHT him to Baek MG

A man informed Lee In-Jwa about baby death that devil is sure the baby is alive...sent the man to Baek house ...Baek is runing with the baby...that devil minions found him...a new warrior arrived and defended Baek the baby is hit and looks like he is dead minions leave...baby is crying...Baek MG is crying..evil Lee is informed by the baby death ...he watched the rings ...his minion saw lord KIM and his daughter...they realized was him the one that defended Baek...

Kim Yi-Soo is beeing tortured...King asked about the baby if is really dead ...said to talk he will harm his daughter ...now we have a scene with Kim Yi-Soo and Lee In-Jwa he also mentioned his daughter...playing with arrows...they pointed the arrows to each other ...a arrow hits Lord KIM chest/near heart ...why did you do it Lee In-Jwa confronted him...i'm sorry lord KIM said ...He dies ...evil man is in pain ...crying

Lee In-Jwa brought him home his daughter is crying ...i bet he will raise her full of hate ...saying it was king fault... Lee In-Jwa visits sookbin Choi...is mad with her brought her the rings and told her to come to the west Gate If she wants to see the baby ...Baek is still playing ...beeing a loser like always ... meets Nam Dokkebi ...he is nice with the baby ... Nam Dokkebi watches that man hands realized is not used with work

Archived