[Official] Ryu Jun Yeol ❤ Hyeri Official Thread (Junghwan & Deoksun of Reply 1988)

Adwina Oltariani

Guest wizengamot

actually, if smoking is only the thing we're going to base Taek being the husband, i'm not sure how it will hold its candle. It's just a single habit that even Jung Hwan could have grown to adapt on his latter years. 

But everything from the way future hubby sat on the sofa to bickering with future Deok Sun just scream "KIM JUNG HWAN". I didn't really watch Reply 1994 actually only Reply 1997 last 2012 or was it 2013. anyway, my point is even though there was husband hunting there I've never doubted Yoon Jae being the husband and that's exactly what I'm feeling on Jung Hwan right now.

Because if he didn;t get to be the husband and that would be the biggest kdrama troll of my whole life. As someone said on Dramabeans, if Jung Hwan is not the future hubby then he is "MORE CHILBONG THAN CHILBONG HIMSELF" which I actually translate as impossible. It's impossible for Jung Hwan not to be the husband. 

It was assumed that it was JH's mom that smokes.  Did we ever see her smoke in the series?  I don't remember.  I honestly think JH smokes and that it was his cigarette that SW's mom found in SW's room.  I will stick to the theory that JH's mom took it away from JH.

• Like 2

I wanted to post this here, but somehow I ended up posting it on the main thread 

Anyway, I noticed that in the present time, DS asks her husband when was the photograph taken, and he pointed out that the date was in the picture. Take a look here:

e4d4f74ef7f7e1e06b78e7c99ec289e6.jpge4d4f74ef7f7e1e06b78e7c99ec289e6.png

(Sorry, I couldn't delete the small version)

43aa777e9982b18c8efc3c918fa86201.png

@svl93 It's weird that they wrote that line in the script because then it's so obvious who is the hubby haha, I guess they are very straight forward about it but they will put TK-DS moments to make us believe there is still a husband game, to be honest it will be harsh on us JH-DS shippers if Taek ends up being the husband and they will show another totally different photo of TK and DS in the end.  This photo moment reminds me of reply 94 wedding photo were it ended up being so different from the blurry one they showed us, so zooming in on the frame will defiantly be useless xD

I dont know what other shippers see in Taek tbh, he is very adorable, but for me thats it. The way he is such a baby  (eg. when DR helped him with his shirt etc) It kind of annoys me :/ I just can't see DS and him together. Like some mentioned since DS is the middle child she longs for someone who takes care of her and gives her all the attention, and i just cant picture TK doing that for her. I think its more like DS taking care of him like we saw in this episode, and I dont think she will be happy to live that way for the rest of her life. Im pretty sure TK will not have enough time, even though she went with him to china she spent most of the day with the other guy and like we see in the episodes he sometimes doesn't have time for himself or his dad and he cant even be there for special occasions (like his dad's bday)

Also their relationship is more like brother/ sister  or mother/child she is too comfortable with him even in the photo she looks relaxed while with JH she is soo guarded/ nervous she is even clutching her bag in the photo (maybe her heart was beating fast lol I have a habit to clutch things when im nervous), She also wore the jeans skirt, I dont know if it was explained how they actually went to the gymnasium together  but she did say in ep 7 that she wears the skirt to look good (something like that, to lazy to check) 

PS. I thought this episodes will be full of JH-DS scenes when I saw that photo on this thread. I was at work when I checked the the replies and saw that photo I thought JH was confirmed as the husband and they were on a date, I almost screamed hahaha my colleges looked at me funny because I was smiling like an idiot while working LOL....Then I went home and got disappointed -_- Now im looking forward for tomorrows episode . 

:D

• Like 5

Anyway, putting aside the husband hunt, do you guys think the Kim bros will be getting into trouble on tomorrow's episode? I saw the preview where these thugs are chasing after JB and next to that JH receives a call from someone to whom he responds "Don't worry and wait for me" , could it be JB asking him to save his richard simmons? :( hahah I'd love another fighting scene though, as long as these two don't get hurt.

Ugh I hope writer can give us romantic JH x DS moments in ep 10 because if it isnt I may take a break watching because I will have thesis presentation very soon and I don't want to lose my confidence because of a heart break :(

Even in netizen buzz news is full of Park Bo Gum comments. Plese writer, don't write your script based on viewer just because they like Park Bo Gum face. Ugh... How selfish of me :(. But I watch dramas is to enjoy, not to be stressed like this.

• Like 7

From the start, I could only see Dukseon ending up with Junghwan and no one else. It's pretty obvious too, just like Trash and Chilbong the last time. It was so obvious that Najung was gonna end up with Trash and yet I still shipped Najung-Chilbong. This year though, there won't be any crying cos I have a feeling they will end up together hihi. Thats all. 

FAVE MOMENT:

When they were hiding from Dongryong's dad and ended up in that alley (more like a gap between two buildings lol) - where it all began hihihihi

• Like 11

Oh I love these writers. As soon as they showed Junghwan & Deok Sun taking a picture I knew they were going to eventually have her also take one with Taek. I bet you everything the picture she and her hubby are looking ain't even one of the above and when they do (if they do) reveal it, it will be of Junghwan and Deok Sun smiling at some baseball game in 1994. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Fool me three times and I'm a richard simmons who obviously doesn't learn from past experience and had it coming. I swear Deok Sun & Taek can kiss and he still ain't the husband unless they undo all the developments of the past 9 episodes and show me Taek having a lumbotomy that resulted in his huge personality change. This our third time at this. The setting may be different but the formula is the same because it's been proven to be a success that works (and is one I always enjoy and end up being satisfied with the results). Now maybe we have multi shippers so don't come for me yet. I'm not saying Taek cannot be the husband. The writers can make that happen. However for it to be done in a way I feel is coherent with the story I've been watching certain scenes in developments of his character and the romance has had to take place that I just haven't seen happen (yet). We're still murky on Deok Sun's feelings for Junghwan. But everything in the history of storytelling from Shakespeare to too many teen movies and dramas and movies, books, plays in general, and almost every kdrama ever (some viewers always wait for the writers to "surprise us and try something new" but maybe the majority of k viewers -and myself (not a k viewer) for this franchise- like the same old but it is a bit new and done well in execution so why flip it just for flipping sake?) tells me she will eventually admit the feels and our star crossed lovers will be. 

"The course of true love never did run smooth" - W. Shakespeare 

LET ME LOVE YOU KIM JUNGHWAN. MY ADORABLE LITTLE PITBULL YOU. Boy I been there. I too sat staring and mooning at my crush (he lived in the apartment across from me I used to watch his bedroom lights go out and bid him goodnight "please notice and be mine when you wake" ahh first love) I totally knew he was walking behind Deok Sun to make sure she gets home safe dvgdsaddfjvaaaafjn :wub:. It's these little things that make love Jim. I love that all the guys were at the table and he so readily jumps on taking her to the concert. I also adore his moments of questioning his own taste when sees her beastly eating :D Deok Sun girl you know as cold as it is outside you did not have to wear a skirt and no tights neither (que Bora wearing a skirt on a date with her man. I see you writers). I love their picture (writers y'all need to stop playing. Showing that cheek kiss. Wetting my appetite for when they will). He was so happy and smiley and rubbing her arm, and she looks so constipated (I say that with so much love. What if she was internally freaking out at that rubbing. Her mind couldn't compute or respond hence the constipated look LOL) hahahahaha. I love it. I love it. Can you imagine them proudly showing that picture to their kids someday (the one in the flash forward is not it. I know these writers) all proud and adorable and the kids just like "was mom forced there?" LOL LOL. 

Also to further elevate some fears, they showed a kiss before their picture taking vs the comedy of Taek taking one with the bellboy. Also Junghwan rubs her arms in the past and she bits his in the present (is this reaching?). Can you really see Deok Sun doing that to Taek with the established dynamic we seen between the two? Look how she went the extra mile to take care of him this ep (I saw it as both friendly and wifey) and I bet if she ever caught Junghwan smoking (if she doesn't already know he does, if he does that is. If not now he may pick up the habit later) she would have some words (if not a hit for him) like the "beast" comment of the red book. From everything I've seen I got no reason to fret (I will if the time ever comes) and if I end up being wrong, I'll eat a huge humble pie.

I look forward to tomorrow's ep (the official halfway point) and adventures of Junghwan and Bong. I'm not even getting my hopes up with misleading previews for a confession or nothing. Watch her ask to borrow some milk or something LOL. 

• Like 12

34 minutes ago, MrsSoJiSub said:

Oh I love these writers. As soon as they showed Junghwan & Deok Sun taking a picture I knew they were going to eventually have her also take one with Taek. I bet you everything the picture she and her hubby are looking ain't even one of the above and when they do (if thy do) reveal it, it will be of Junghwan and Deok Sun smiling at some baseball game in 1994. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Fool me three times and I'm a richard simmons who obviously doesn't learn from past experience and had it coming. I swear Deok Sun & Taek can kiss and he still ain't the husband unless they undo all the developments of the past 9 episodes and show me Taek having a lumbotomy that resulted in his huge personality change. This our third time at this. The setting may be different but the formula is the same because it's been proven to be a success that works (and is one I always enjoy and end up being satisfied with the results). Now maybe we have multi shippers so don't come for me yet. I'm not saying Taek cannot be the husband. The writers can make that happen. However for it to be done in a way I feel is coherent with the story I've been watching certain scenes in developments of his character and the romance has had to take place that I just haven't seen happen. We're still murky on Deok Sun's feelings for Junghwan. But everything in the history of storytelling from Shakespeare to too many teen movies and dramas and and movies, books, plays, and almost every kdrama ever (some viewers always wait for the writers to "surprise us and try something new" but maybe the majority of k viewers -and myself for this franchise- like the same old but it isa bit new and done well in execution so why flip it just for flipping sake?) tells me she will eventually admit the feels and our star crossed lovers will be. 

"The course of true love never did run smooth" - W. Shakespeare 

LET ME LOVE YOU KIM JUNGHWAN. MY ADORABLE LITTLE PITBULL YOU. Boy I been there. I too sat staring and mooning at my crush (he lived in the apartment across from me I used to watch his bedroom lights go out and bit him goodnight "please notice and be mine when you wake" ahh first love) I totally knew he was walking behind Deok Sun to make sure she gets home safe dvgdsaddfjvaaaafjn :wub: j love that all the guys were at the table and he so readily jumps on thanking her to the concert. I also adore his moments of questioning his own taste when sees her beastly eating :D Deok Sun girl you know you as cold as it is outside you did not have to wear a skirt and no tights neither (que Bora wearing a skirt on a date with her man. I see you writers). I love their picture (writers y'all need to stop playing. Showing that cheek kiss. Wetting my appetite for when they will). He was so happy and smiley and rubbing her arm, and she looks so constipated (I say that with so much love) hahahahaha. I love it. I love it. Can you imagine them proudly showing that picture to their kids someday (the one in the flash forward is not it. I know these writers) all proud and adorable and the kids just like "was mom forced there?" LOL LOL. 

Also to further elevate some fears, they showed a kiss before their picture taking vs the comedy of Taek taking one with the bellboy. Also Junghwan rubs her arms in the past and she bits his in the present (is this reaching?). Can you really see Deok Sun doing that to Taek with the established dynamic we seen between the two? Look how she went the extra mile to take care of him this ep (I saw it as both friendly and wifey) and I bet if she ever caught Junghwan smoking (if she doesn't already know he does, if he does that is. If not now he may pick up the habit latter) she would have some words (if not a hit for him) like the "beast" comment of the red book. From everything I've seen I got no reason to fret (I will if the time ever comes) and if I end up being wrong, I'll eat a huge humble pie. I look forward to tomorrow's ep (the official halfway point) and adventures of Junghwan and Bong. I'm not even getting my hopes up with misleading previews for a confession or nothing. Watch her ask to borrow some milk or something LOL. 

THIS. @MrsSoJiSub I AM YOUR FAN. Thank you for bringing us back to life. I don't have doubts JungHwan is the husband, but tbh the extra promotion of PBG that TVN is spreading out kinda gets me down a bit, and it's constant. 

Anyway, I look forward for tomorrow's ep with those gangsters! 

Guest wizengamot

it saddens me that people are actually taking the husband hunting quite seriously. i don't remember having that kind of experience with reply 1997. (maybe it's been a good thing that i skipped reply 1994). and as i was saying, majority of the korean netizens plus tumblr peeps has been on Team Jung Hwan because SERIOUSLY, IT'S OBVIOUS THAT IT IS KIM JUNG HWAN. It was as obvious as the one on Yoon Yoon Jae on Reply 1997. 

And it's quite disheartening because when I was not logged into soompi few hours ago, despite knowing that Taek and Jung Hwan were candidates for Deok Sun's husband, I was not forced to actually fight for my ship because I'm just enjoying the show where both Taek and Jung Hwan were not even on each other's throat. They are still friends in the drama and not being petty or angsty at all so when I came to soompi, I thought I should visit the Reply 1988 thread since I was one of those who promised earlier to anticipate it really well (and it's been almost a month before it aired when we were spazzing there) now that I've come back I wasn't expecting something like disagreement left and right or the like *sigh*

I'm quite regretting visiting here at soompi and revisiting the thread that we tried to liven up when it was almost less than 10 pages before (and you will see on those first 10 pages how I really waited for this show because of Bogum). I must admit though that all the Jung Hwan's feel are because we're seeing Jung Hwan on the moves to fan the flame in our hearts. I'm sure I'll get fluttering and broken heart too once Taek make his move BUT the truth is undeniable with the evidences pointing to Jung Hwan and it frustrates me that people on the main thread keeps on disagreeing with another team shipper *phew*

What makes Jung Hwan endearing is because he wear his heart on his sleeve and that's really courageous. 

Honestly, before revisiting this thread after a month long hiatus, although I've chosen my ship, I didn't really get frustrated this much to flaunt the clues as to why I chose said ship because there's a lot of things that I could enjoy from this show aside from Who-Is-The-Husband. the friendship of these five is one of those things. There was even a Taek-Jung Hwan moment on ep. 8 where Jung Hwan wipes Taek cheeks/corner of the lips while eating, which is kind of funny because they're not even competing and yet people here are quite the opposite. 

ON A BRIGHTER NOTE

I was not expecting myself to fall in love with HyeRi in this series. I was one of those skeptical when the female lead was announced. I hardly notice her in Girl's Day too seeing only Mina . But Hyeri's Deok Sun is so loveable. I really like her portrayal. Actually, I'm not sure if earlier on this thread (like 10-20 pages since the start of this thread) or if it was in Bogum's thread, where some of us wished that Red Velvet's Irene or another lead will be casted (I read somewhere that RV Irene auditioned for Reply 1988) BUT now I'm glad that Hyeri got chosen, I can;t picture anyone playing Deok Sun actually after seeing Hyeri. She totally owned DeokSun role.

11 hours ago, Adwina Oltariani said:

I really think JH will tell her to accept Taek's feelings (it's possible Taek will confess in tomorrow's ep) and stay by Taek's side.. he wouldnt want to hurt Taekie.. but hey, at least they'll share screen tomorrow!!

I hope this does not happen. What a disservice to Deok Sun and her feelings (and the feelings of all involved) to have either of the boys back out( Nobel idiocy to the max) to protect the other or her. No. Deok Sun is grown little girl that is mature and capable of evaluating her own feelings and coming to a decision on who she likes and wants to be with. I want them both if they like her to have a talk with her and each other and be upfront with their feelings. Deok Sun makes a pro and con list (aka I get my flashback of what has been going on in her head) she "listens to her heart", tells one boy I like you and gently breaks the heart of another. Reply 1994 (despite the noise and complaints) did that well in that Najeong was always clear to Chilbong on where her heart lay, and despite his "it ain't over" stuff, it was even before oppa too confessed. Like you said about the last three eps and the "hope" for Chilbong shippers, I didn't see it that way (the hope that is) I feel the parallel story of appa and omma in the hospital with Haitai taking care of Sook Sook clearly showed how things were always going to unfold. But R94 and the rapid love of Chilbong is a beast I have learned to just agree to disagree and let be. 

I don't want making a choice to be taken from Deok Sun (then again just because she doesn't know one likes her doesn't mean she has to date another but this a kdrama). Just tell her what's what and have her choose. Maybe what you say happens and maybe it doesn't. If a confession or asking of confessing comes along tomorrow it's telling that she would need awareness of Junghwan's feelings (if that is what she does) before she can make moves on/about her own feelings. If Deok Sun really didn't like Junghwan or somewhere in her mind have picked up on his behavior and added it together, why even ask/care about his feelings? She could careless about him when she thought Sunwoo liked her meaning something has obviously changed. It would crush my shipper heart (momentarily) if she comes to some understanding of her feelings, gets her hopes up and the courage to ask on them (like she waited on Sunwoo's and crashed), only to have her heart crushed (not again after Sunwoo) because for whatever reason Junghwan lies.  I can see it happening and wouldn't be surprised if it did (we need the angst) but man do I not want it to happen. 

ETA: @wizengamot thank your luck stars you weren't here for '94. If I were wise I would have stayed away like I did for the first 7 or 8 eps. However the need to gush was a callin' and I mainly stayed in my preferred shipper thread cause I swear everyone was watching a different drama and the bigger story became lost to some. I honestly agree that the husband is always and has always been clear in this and previous seasons. However shipper hearts, bias, personal preference, handsome oppa, a bit of mob mentality, buying into colors, dolls, stuffed animals, etc of writers and co being clever writers and co, and kind of ignoring the story, the full story, not partial or episodic but the full thing; can a flame many things. I  personally find amusement in it (it's not that deep and as of tomorrow's ep, 10 more and you get your answers) and just enjoy it till Monday when six flying dragons and real life come a knocking. 

• Like 8

I'll be upset if he gives up on Deok-Sun because of Taek.  That means he cares more about Taek than about Deok-Sun and that is not the Junghwan I know.   It's sparing the feelings of Taek, but not considering the feelings of Deok-Sun.  Nope. That won't work for me.

Though I would not be surprised if when confronted by Deok-Sun he denies that he likes her.  But I hope she won't fall for that, but who knows.  Junghwan can be brutal with his words when he wants and she's still a sensitive person.  

• Like 6

Guest wizengamot

That won't work for me too, Jung Hwan giving up on Deok Sun because of Taek. I think the only reason why Jung Hwan didn't say anything and was totally resigned during SunWoo-DeokSun possibility is because he was only discovering his feelings for her at that time plus he thought that the feeling was mutual between Sun Woo and Deok Sun so he didn't meddle. 

I think the only way, Jung Hwan would let Taek have Deok Sun is if Deok Sun favored Taek more than him. But if Jung Hwan knows that Deok Sun likes him, he would not give her up. But what most likely to happen I think is, Deok Sun would choose to stay with Taek. I don't know it's just a feeling. That's what happened in Reply 1997. Shi Won was not sure with her feelings for Yoon Jae yet and Yoon Jae's hyung was nice to her and had confessed to her so she stayed by his side. But in the end, she discovered her feelings for Yoon Jae so she chose her.

I think that's what might happen between Jung Hwan and Deok Sun. Since Jung Hwan and Deok Sun has been on the bickering stage where Deok Sun still not see Jung Hwan as a man (like Shi Won and Yoon Jae). And Taek was nice to Deok Sun and has lost someone important to him (like Shiwon and Yoon Jae;s Hyung), it's most likely that Reply 1997 repeat it self in reply 1988, where the Main girl would choose the nice guy whom she doesn't fight with but later discovers her feeling for her bickering partner. 

I've also read before from some comments that Taek totally smelled like Chilbongie because he's a famous Baduk god and Chilbong is a baseball protege. so yeah

@MrsSoJiSub lol at " I swear everyone was watching a different drama and the bigger story became lost to some" hahahaha!! while reading the comments on the main thread I was wondering too how can they not tell that Jung Hwan is the husband with all those evidences and how they can tell Taek is the husband with little screen time for Bogum or even Deoksun-Taek moments. I don't know where did they get all those giddy moments of Taek and Deok Sun cause honestly, when those two are on-screen, they're cute but in a friendship way. that's all i see.