[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

Hi Eclipses! Just checking in with y'all! It's been over a week since I was last able to REALLY be active here (other than lurking for a page or two) and I'm horrified at the 200+ pages I have to catch up on. LOL. I'm still alive! Work has just been crazy busy and, unfortunately, there are only 24 hours in a day and 14 to 15 of it is spent working.

I am, at least, all caught up on the episodes. I sacrificed sleep for it and became a zombie the next day (totally worth it!) and I'm hoping to catch up on the reviews next. FMVs are also only half finished, so I'm hoping to get to work on that too... lol. See, we totally need more than 24 hours in a day! Haha.

• Like 20

@solelylurking okies... *downloading the song* will surely work on it..thnak you...

and everyone who watched SBS version of epi and expecting second kiss in next episode so i doubt the second kiss will be shown.. reason

I rewatched the kissing scene from intl version 15-20 times and then when i watched SBS ver there i found that when WS goes for that first kiss he is holding HSs shoulders (from one angel) and next scene from another angel he has cupped her face while kissing. So in sbs version the in-between-efforts have been removed...

• Like 16

@hiluna @meahri_1 @KdramaSwimmer Thank you for your very kind words and for patiently reading my very verbose post. I do intend to unlurk more often, now that i have started posting again. :P

And @meahri_1, thanks for sharing the good news with me. :wub: And I do hope that LJG will be recognized for his awesome performance during the upcoming award season.

1 hour ago, Nymeria289 said:

How exactly does this work in Korea?? Do you have any idea?? I was wondering for a while. I know in the USA, the better the rating for 18-49 demo, the better the chances are for the show to survive even with less than expected ratings. Is it the same for Korean ratings.

I know they have CPI index or are those two independent forms of performance evaluation?? 

Sorry, chingu, not sure about the rating systems in Korea at all. As I understand, CPI is a more comprehensive form of performance measure. And yet, everyone seems to be obsessed with the traditional ratings system... which I feel is very much outdated, given that online streaming and international viewership are rapidly becoming a predominant part of the viewership for big-budget-big-visibility dramas like MLSHR. 

• Like 13

2 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

We know nothing about the scar as well. So it has been created by the writer. That's why I had this theory that maybe CJM by going to the future learnt the History of Goreyo and knew what would happen (but was unaware of the scar because it is something a king would erase from the record). So when he came back to his real life time line, he influenced Taejo in his decision so that the kingdom of Goreyo. But by doing so, he actually changed the History. He gave Taejo the advice to marry someone from a clan in order to consolidate his royal power and because of that, Wang So got hurt and had this huge scar. JM said that he had visions and in my opinion, this could be signals that something had changed but he overlooked it so that he thought, everything was going according to plan: Mu as the second King aso. However, he got unaware since he was back in the past, he had changed History. Since it happened in the past and JM had returned to the past, Hae Soo from the future learnt a different History about Goreyo, the one of the scary king who killed all his brothers. If Wang So had not met Hae Soo, maybe he would have started resenting his entire family and his brothers for rejecting him so that he would use his position in order to get revenge. However, Hae Soo's presence had an impact as well. Due to her, Baek Ah and So got closer and he found someone who would listen to him and care about him so that History is changing again: back to normal, while JM thinks, it would go according to plan.

I agree with your last point. I think HS has already changed history before covering WS’ scar. It’s because of her that WS saved Jung. If she hadn't followed Jung, I'm not sure if WS would have been there to save Jung from losing his arm. And before that point Jung didn't have any significant interactions with WS. And after the rescue, WS repeats the similar words HS had said to him earlier to Jung, “the higher you are, the more you should care about justice”. When only two episodes ago, WS thought it was okay to treat people differently because he was a prince.

Other than one instance, even when she had different opportunities to say something, Ruoxi never tried to change history. I’m hoping that since we’re shown that HS has changed WS and the relationships he has with his brothers for better, we won’t get the same tragic ending from the novel.

• Like 16

The thread goes at an insane lightning speed. I have so much to catch up on, will do so gladly though :)

I don't know if the picture has been posted but just a picture of Hae Soo with her hands on her heart walking away from Wang So after the kiss. Seems like the kiss did the job. She has to snap out of it and tend to her fast beating heart :P

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Maisha Aiman said:

The thread goes at an insane lightning speed. I have so much to catch up on, will do so gladly though :)

I don't know if the picture has been posted but just a picture of Hae Soo with her hands on her heart walking away from Wang So after the kiss. Seems like the kiss did the job. She has to snap out of it and tend to her fast beating heart :P

Are you sure it's not the one where she was trying to catch her breath (due to on-going panic attack) and it was when WS had spotted and which then led to the back-hug?

• Like 5

@ruizaio Thank you for the detailed reply. It was very... enlightening (and has fanned my rage at losing out on so much LJG-goodness because of the director's poor editing decisions to new heights).

So basically, you're saying that the plotline from the early synopsis (which you called "interesting and fast paced and much more So-centric") is NOT significantly different from the drama now being shown on TV in Korea. That is, for the most part, the events taking place, relationship developments etc. have remained the same from early synopsis to current drama. Just that (So-centric) details are missing, especially in the international version.

And assuming (based, like you said, on trailers, scenes reinserted in the Korean version, actor testimonies etc.) that many additional scenes were filmed but didn't make it in the aired episodes--then might we be dealing with a script length problem? That is, they had scripts for 20 episodes but these scripts were unrealistically long/crammed full of events, so after filming the production ended up with many more hours of content than just 20. Ergo the arbitrary cuts in the editing room, with the misguided focus on the other princes instead of on So. Which begs the question: if they turned 4 episode scripts into 8.5 hours of content (as shown on TV), then how the heck will they cram the remaining 16 episode scripts (the equivalent of 34 hours of content, if we go by the established rule) in just 11 episodes that are still to air? Does the So-Soo loveline have even ONE single chance to develop into an epic romance?

And speaking of So, one last question: would sageuk speech alone have made the Wang So character a more fitting future king, for Korean viewers? Or do you mean that, from early synopsis to actual drama, the Wang So character (actions and behavior, apart from mere speech) suffered significant changes? Because even in his present incarnation, he is very intelligent and astute. Was he supposed to be even more formidable according to the initial synopsis?

• Like 21

59 minutes ago, ruizaio said:

Regarding sageuk speech, if all characters except Hae Soo spoke it, it would have reduced the overall frivolous vibe of the show and people may have taken it more seriously. Because LJG was switching tones between scenes, it made his character look inconsistent, too. 

True. I agree completely.

• Like 8

@briseis In the case of Moon/Sun, the original novel was really good and the scriptwriter also had good experience and well respected (although she did make some unpopular changes... -_-+). Empress Ki's writer is also very well respected and known in the sageuk genre. With ML, people think that the director purposely hired an obscure writer so that he could do whatever he wanted. Before ML aired, some voiced concerns about the lack of experience the writer had, but once they saw the episodes, the writer's leaked script had turned out to be better than KKT's directing...

@liddi Oh there were so many inaccuracies... I remember being flabbergasted to see "6-chon" translated as "6th cousin." "6-chon" is second cousin. Sixth cousin in the English sense would make it 14-chon in the Korean way. Also, when So goes to his mother after killing the monks and she tells him he's not her son, she says "At least I was able to give birth to my lovely Jeong thanks to (sending you away to the Kangs), so I'm grateful for it." DF sub said something like "I was able to feel a sense of love and justice" there instead. I did notice the 29 years old/ 29 wives mistake and also referring to Court Lady Oh as a concubine at first. (Incidentally, the Crown Prince's historical mother was an Oh, so some people wondered if Court Lady Oh was his birth mother in secret.) I don't remember any other specifics, but generally, I agree that the the sageuk-specific Sino-Korean terms tend to get butchered. I can understand paraphrasing to keep the subtitles short, but completely changing the meaning or skipping vital information is just wrong. 

• Like 22

Uwaaaa.... I haven't been on for a while (because life & school got in the say) and there's so much to read... I cannot finish it. However I have been lurking and liking some of your posts. I can't believe we're over 600 pages... I remember when we were just at 300 :rolleyes: LOL 

Guys, I am suffering with you all. I cannot wait for the next episodes any longer T^T the only thing that can keep me a little bit sane is focusing on the MV I started (using Lee Sun Hee's "Fate"!!!!) Of course Im still waiting until the drama ends to be able to use all the episodes, but I got too excited so I started it already :D:sweatingbullets:

• Like 10