[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

Another reason why Queen Yo is rejecting WS and supporting Yo is because she fears that WS would turn against her, since she is the one who hurt him in the past. She has never witnessed his longing for love and aknowledgement therefore she thinks, she can't expect from WS  that he will behave like her puppy, while Yo is doing it the entire time. Wang Yo is the puppet and she needs such a son as King so that she can become powerful and get rid of the other Queen. Due to the scar, she can never be sure that WS will turn against her. She has never been interested in her sons (except Wang Jung), she was more interested in the post for the King. When her son died, she was upset that her son had lost the position as Crown Prince. That's also the reason why she used WS as hostage. She only saw him as leverage (a possible future King) and TaeJo was so much into making sure that his work stays alive after his death... so he needed a heir. In my opinion, the Queen doesn't even really love Wang Yo, she is only using him as well. But in the opposite of WS, she is well aware that Wang Yo is longing for his mother's love and affection. Notice that she also rejected his hand...

• Like 17

12 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

In my opinion, the Queen doesn't even really love Wang Yo, she is only using him as well. But in the opposite of WS, she is well aware that Wang Yo is longing for his mother's love and affection. Notice that she also rejected his hand...

:tears:.... My yoyo.... my dear yoyo..... Anyway, there's still like 17 more episodes, so there will still be a lot more Yoyo's scenes. :D

• Like 12

The tormented Wolf Prince with piercing eyes is damaged inside out. It’s both so heartwrenching and fitting that Wang So’s body reflects the brutal, dangerous and bleak life he has led - as if his body was an open book with the story of his life literally carved into it. Some of the scars even look like they were made by wolf claws and they reveal how much this man went through in his short life, how much he survived on his own, without having anyone to protect him and care for him.

tumblr_ocwcy73Mqo1s8t96qo2_r1_540.png

However, it’s the scar on his face that has been hurting him the most. He sustained the other ones from his enemies who were trying to kill him, but it was his mother’s knife which cut him the deepest; his mother who was supposed to love him and never hurt him. It stays there as a constant reminder of his worst memory (that his mother did this to him - that she almost pierced his eye, that she used him as a hostage and almost killed him in the process) - he can’t make it disappear therefore he’s been hiding it behind a mask. And while it may seem thin and pale, he feels the scar maybe even rawer that he did 15 years ago because as a child couldn’t comprehend the true cruelty behind his mother’s action, but now he can and it hurts him even more. It’s a proof that he is unwanted and unloved.

tumblr_ocwcy73Mqo1s8t96qo9_r1_400.pngtumblr_ocwcy73Mqo1s8t96qo8_r1_400.png

Some may argue that there is too much drama over a faint scar, but in the 10th century IT MAKES WANG SO AN OUTCAST ON THE MARGINS OF SOCIETY. IT’S HIS LITERAL BRAND OF SHAME BECAUSE IT BRANDS HIM AS A PARIAH. The only reason why he’s still barely tolerated is his royal birth, but it doesn’t spare him of the vicious talk and deregatory comments. All the above mentioned things explain WHY THE SCAR IS SUCH A BIG DEAL.What’s more, the scar has shaped his personality and character since his early age. Honestly, in my 10 years of watching kdramas I can’t remember a male lead who would be so extremely self-conscious and insecure about his own appearance like Wang So is. The deeply traumatic experience from his childhood, the lack of his parents’ love and his scarred face gave him a huge inferiority complex that is more than skin deep. You can see it in the way how he cautiously looks around if anyone isn’t watching him before he takes off his mask.

tumblr_ocwcy73Mqo1s8t96qo6_r1_400.pngtumblr_ocwcy73Mqo1s8t96qo5_r1_400.png

When HS appears, Wang So is like a deer caught in the headlights and for a moment he completely freezes from the sheer shock and fear that someone is seeing him without his mask. He feels exposed and defenceless and his first reaction is to retreat and hide himself, to cover himself in shame and embarrassment, to protect himself - as if HS had the power to hurt him; him the man who can take on a small army completely alone and still come out alive and victorious. The sheer vulnerability and insecurity on his face is utterly heartbreaking. Basically WS’s whole reaction to the situation is so unguarded and raw - the close-ups and LJK’s erratic breathing enhance WS’s heightened emotions; it’s as if he were experiencing a sensory overload. It really does looks like a reaction of a hurt animal because once he recovers frrom the shock he lashes out and attack before HS can say anything (and hurt him).

tumblr_ocwcy73Mqo1s8t96qo1_540.png

I want NEED Hae Soo to caress and kiss his scar so damn much! Please, drama gods, make it happen!

• Like 24

10 minutes ago, briseis said:

Honestly, in my 10 years of watching kdramas I can’t remember a male lead who would be so extremely self-conscious and insecure about his own appearance like Wang So is.

I want NEED Hae Soo to caress and kiss his scar so damn much! Please, drama gods, make it happen!

First, I want to say how much I really and truly enjoy reading your posts, @briseis. It is always so detailed, well written, and insightful, providing me with the thoughts I hadn't even thought of - and here, I thought I was pretty decent at noticing the small, minor details and figuring out the importance of them. Please do continue!

Second, I agree! Wang So is the first male lead that I can recall, from my 14 years of drama watching, who is insecure, ashamed, and self conscious of his physical appearance. It's like a breath of fresh air, to be honest and makes MLSHR even more amazing.

Third, I thought the very thing myself! I've been hoping and wishing we'll get a scene where Hae Soo will caress and kiss his scar tenderly and show it some love. (And damn it, if we don't get it, I'll make a fanfic out of it to make sure it happens! It's a MUST!)

• Like 20

@briseis

I concur with @akinahana89 - truly thought provoking post. You've laid him out bare for our perusal. It's the dichotomy between his immense vulnerability and his seeming fearlessness that really gets me. On the one hand we see how callous and abrupt he can be but then you expose the man behind the mask and what do you get? A child seeking validation. He's a very deep three dimensional character and the writer-nim should be proud of his portrayal. Thanks for the insight good-job-onion-head-emoticon.gif

• Like 21

4 minutes ago, nkss_sakura said:

Hiii, guys!!

I have been a silent lurker!  But had to write...

I think Hae Soo will help Wang So with skin care and also make up, since she used to work with it...

Can I keep Wang so?? OMG he looked so shocked and scared in the scene of ep 2.

Welcome and congratulations on-delurking :-). Actually, I think the fact that she would help him to cover it with make-up was hinted in the long preview - you can clearly spot the make-up containers on the the table behind them

5IxASPf.png

• Like 19

@Gabi Bros

Lol

BUT 

It's not just makeup she's applying. She's gifting him with the self confidence to face his detractors once and for all. She's going to hide his insecurities under a layer of ostensibly make-up, but vulnerability proof foundation. It will be a monumental moment when he realises he can go out in public without the mask. I can't wait for that scene. You've seen how bashful he is about his scars, can you imagine how much in awe he will be of her after she does this? He'll worship at her feet :D  

• Like 23

6 hours ago, pujajain said:

I was speaking historically...Based on wikipedia when Yingzhen  was born, his mother was a low rank consort who got promoted later. he was brought up by noble consort Tong and later the king himself when his birth mother refused to raise him. Below is what it says-

Yinzhen was the eleventh son but the fourth prince of the Kangxi Emperor to survive into adulthood. His mother, who is historically known as Empress Xiaogongren, was originally a court attendant from the Manchu Uya clan. Around the time when Yinzhen was born, his mother was of a low status and did not have the right to raise her own children. For most of his childhood, Yinzhen was raised by Noble Consort Tong, the daughter of Tong Guowei, the Kangxi Emperor's maternal uncle and an eminent official in the early part of the Kangxi Emperor's reign.[a] She died when Yinzhen was just 9 years old. After the birth of more children, Yinzhen's mother was promoted to apin and then to a fei, and became known as defei or "Virtuous Consort." However, 'defei' refused to raise her first son at that time. Therefore, Kangxi Emperor raised Yinzhen by himself in short period.The Kangxi Emperor did not raise his children inside the palace alone. He exposed his sons (including Yinzhen) to the outside world and gave them a rigorous education. Yinzhen accompanied his father on several inspection trips around the Beijing area, as well as one further south. He became the honorary leader of the Plain Red Banner during the Battle of Jao Modo between the Qing Empire and the Mongol Dzungar Khanate led by Galdan Khan. Yinzhen was made a beile in 1689 and promoted to junwang (second-rank prince) in 1698.

Chingu's thanks for posting this history of Yinzhen. He sure did have a sad life. I also see that Yinzhen was really smart and capable person. 

• Like 6

22 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Another reason why Queen Yo is rejecting WS and supporting Yo is because she fears that WS would turn against her, since she is the one who hurt him in the past. She has never witnessed his longing for love and aknowledgement therefore she thinks, she can't expect from WS  that he will behave like her puppy, while Yo is doing it the entire time. Wang Yo is the puppet and she needs such a son as King so that she can become powerful and get rid of the other Queen. Due to the scar, she can never be sure that WS will turn against her. She has never been interested in her sons (except Wang Jung), she was more interested in the post for the King. When her son died, she was upset that her son had lost the position as Crown Prince. That's also the reason why she used WS as hostage. She only saw him as leverage (a possible future King) and TaeJo was so much into making sure that his work stays alive after his death... so he needed a heir. In my opinion, the Queen doesn't even really love Wang Yo, she is only using him as well. But in the opposite of WS, she is well aware that Wang Yo is longing for his mother's love and affection. Notice that she also rejected his hand...

Also in this era, beauty was highly regarded especially for the royal family. Aren't they supposed to be some kind of a deity, messenger from the heavens or gifted by the heavens to the kingdom? If they had a visible scar, people may not support that Prince ascending as he may be bullied and referred to as a monster and any disaster will definitely be automatically linked to him xD

I'm a bit uneasy about Ji Mong, it seems as if he figured out that Wang So was behind the slaughtering and burning of the temple. Mistrust, mistrust, mistrust is really in the air.

My fave scenes from were in Ep2 and Ep3. 

Baekhyun and IU bickering, they're cute. Like kids. Since they're really kids in the story. And Baekhyun's confession using that very "cliche" line. LOL

Hae Soo practicing her Goryeo tone and speech was super LOL. 

The forest scene, where Hae Soo was crying like a babe was super adorable.

Wang So throwing Hae Soo off the horse.

• Like 15

Spoiler

I understand what IU said in interview .. that not an easy job anyway.. 

To nail a different character from a brat 16 yo girl develop into a mature and virtous woman.. 

In this is just a 20 ep drama .. so it really short time..

Even in chinesse version its 35/40 episode drama 

• Like 12

21 hours ago, briseis said:

Welcome and congratulations on-delurking :-). Actually, I think the fact that she would help him to cover it with make-up was hinted in the long preview - you can clearly spot the make-up containers on the the table behind them

Oh my gosh. I liked that photo..:wub: HS and WS their chemistry is sizzling.

THIS for now is my absolute favorite scene. xD

Spoiler

https://twitter.com/gomdori0604/status/771741239150391298

I don't have any idea how to post twitter so added as a spoiler for the meantime to avoid spamming. LOLs

• Like 13

Let's hope it'll happen soon. OMG. My heart can only take so much. I'm glad today is already a Saturday, we can watch the director's cut later back to back to back and then Monday is just within our reach. 

I need my MLSHR dose. I've been watching other dramas while waiting for MLSHR to air, but have dropped them as I've lost interest and just can't stop thinking about this drama.:wub:

Someone HELP me. :bawling:

• Like 15

6 hours ago, KdramaSwimmer said:

And I spazzed the thread like a crazy

Here I have few questions if anyone can shed some light for me:

1. All the saeguks I have watched so far (Dae Jang Geum, Iljimae, Dong Yi, Arang and Magistrate etc.) have kings addressed as Jeohna but in this show king is called as Peha (as per what i heard), why is it so ?

Hi I will like to address this question of Peha and Jeohna. Peha 陛下 is consider one level up of Jeohna 殿下, this I learned in another historical drama Empress Ki. The China emperor is call Peha and Korean King can only be refered to as Jeohna. During the later Joseon times, China was very prosperous in the Tang, Song and Ming dynasty and hence Korea is like a "subsidiary" kingdom, made to send yearly gifts and stuff in exchange not be invaded by China. So Korean Kings during those times cannot be referred to as Peha.

However, earlier on as in this drama, Goryeo emperors are still called Peha and confucius thinking hasnt take root there was there is much equality in gender status etc.

-----------------------------------

• Like 16

4 hours ago, ilovekorearocks said:

As a fan of IU myself, I think she's good, there are times that she may not be able to connect with the audience in emotion but nothing really serious to point out in every frame possible just a lil lacking for most who're avid in watching Saeguk. 

Koreans have really unusual taste, for one, i know that they like Saeguk according to survey. As to what type of Saeguk is the question.

At least Healer was consistent between 8-10% in rating. Even Love Rain (although I haven't watched that drama, but was highly popular in my country) was not well-received in Korea from what I've heard.

Ah, here you mentioned another of my past scar - Healer. They lost out to another drama Punch of the same timeslot. Punch was a heavier drama about corruption etc. Whereas Scarlett heart vs Moonlight is a Serious drama vs a Light hearted drama and they lost out? So I am really confused whether Korean audience like serious or lighthearted drama. 

Or maybe they really have issues with the cast that we do not know of. 

------------------------------

Anyway I really like the YOYO couple! :D The dynamics of the two is really interesting. As I said, I dun understand why the Queen has to be in the bath like twice. But it also shows the great disparity between her treatment of the 3rd and 4th prince. Yo can walk right into her bath but she refused to even see So who lives faraway.

• Like 12