[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

Huaaaa can't believe we're near the end guys! 20 episodes is clearly not enough! I still remember watching 1st episode of MLSHR as it was yesterday..

Since I am already too emotionally attached to SoSoo, I just couldn't bear to see one of them die in the end :(So writer-nimmm, can we just have an ending between these options pls?

I'd like to see them at least to be happy and meet again in the modern times. Yup, I don't mind a bittersweet ending. You need to at least give us a bittersweet ending after ruining our lives every week! Sigh..

Whatever happens, let us hope chingus that it will end like one of these and they will be happy in modern times :")

Spoiler

tumblr_ofmmm3z4SQ1tdfsf6o3_400.giftumblr_ofmmm3z4SQ1tdfsf6o2_400.giftumblr_ofmmm3z4SQ1tdfsf6o10_400.giftumblr_ofmmm3z4SQ1tdfsf6o5_400.giftumblr_ofmmm3z4SQ1tdfsf6o4_400.giftumblr_ofmmm3z4SQ1tdfsf6o7_400.giftumblr_ofmmm3z4SQ1tdfsf6o6_400.giftumblr_ofmmm3z4SQ1tdfsf6o9_400.giftumblr_ofmmm3z4SQ1tdfsf6o8_400.giftumblr_ofmmm3z4SQ1tdfsf6o1_400.gif

Moon Lovers in modern times :wub:

Spoiler

tumblr_oes1luJSw71tdfsf6o1_540.giftumblr_oes1luJSw71tdfsf6o2_540.giftumblr_oes1luJSw71tdfsf6o3_540.giftumblr_oes1luJSw71tdfsf6o4_540.giftumblr_oes1luJSw71tdfsf6o5_540.gif

SoSoo meet again in modern times <3

Spoiler

tumblr_oeyhhoSvdq1tdfsf6o1_540.giftumblr_oeyhhoSvdq1tdfsf6o2_540.giftumblr_oeyhhoSvdq1tdfsf6o3_540.gif

When So sees Soo in cafeteria and realizes that he’s seen her face before <3

Spoiler

tumblr_oeyk0xFp8g1tdfsf6o1_540.giftumblr_oeyk0xFp8g1tdfsf6o2_540.giftumblr_oeyk0xFp8g1tdfsf6o3_540.gif

Hae Soo and Wang So in modern times, recognizing each other and decided to be together <3

cr: http://vivere-militare-est-1991.tumblr.com

• Like 23

2 hours ago, ucieh said:

Oh it's about her concert in Seoul on 3rd and 4th Dec 2016

It would be good if IU invites LJK to her concerts....:D Both can sing well. 

2 hours ago, zi4r said:
Spoiler

Here comes another character analysis. And yes, it's lonnnnnnng. Sorry. dunno-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gif?12927937

Many of my posts have been WS/GJ/LJG-centric, and yet I've never really done a true character study of WangSo-turned-Gwangjong. Yes, I've talked about his flaws here and there (while exploring other characters, especially HS), but never really dwelt on them. Why? Because as a shameless WS-apologist&sympathizer, I cannot bring myself to ponder on his many flaws. (Maybe I see my own husband in him. Or I see myself in him.) In any case, whenever I try to truly explore the full depth of his character, it felt too close to home and I basically chickened out.

While trying to ignore how F-uped an individual he really is, I cannot truly explore the strengths in his character either. Because each and every strength of his character is a double-edged sword; his strengths & flaws are so fully intertwined. And as a man who truly lives his life (rather than contenting himself with merely existing)... a man who seems to give it all to everything he does, he has the tendency to take both his strengths and flaws to the extremes. As such, one cannot explore his virtues without his faults, his courage without his ruthlessness, his role as a protector without his sense of misogyny.

I've finally gathered my wits enough to write this post. It's going to be a much weaker piece, compared to my other critical posts, because my heart is not fully in it.

And warning to my fellow WangSo-apologists out there: It's going to be a rough ride, so please proceed with caution.

The dilemma of Wang So

a.k.a How the deliciousness of a Knight-in-Shining-Armour character has become a bitter pill to swallow

Wang So.

Arguably, the only fully developed character in the whole MLSHR universe. A character that is meant to ensnare our hearts. The one weapon that the drama truly utilizes for audience retention.

Rooting for WS is a no-brainer even from the start. It didn't truly matter that WW was causing second-lead-syndrome back then; it didn't even matter that WS had very little screen-time. WS speaks to us every single episode... not just with his own words & screen time, but through his silent presence or through the words of other characters. (Please forgive my sexist generalizations here, but I think it's fairly accurate to say...) His courage & physical strength & sense of honour speak to the male audiences; his role as a protector & his love for HS (& of course, the hotness of LJG) speak to the female audience.

He directly engages our hearts and wins us over... so much so that many of us have decided to turn off our brains whenever we are immersing ourselves in him. He makes us feel, and thinking interferes with those feelings... so we decided not to think. We decided not to heed the warnings our brains have been trying to give.

Because if only we had let ourselves listen to the little whispers in our brain since from the beginning of the drama, we wouldn't be taken so off-guard by WS's transformation to GJ. To call it a "transformation" is a misnomer, really. Because this darkness in full-display in GJ? It has always been there in WS, just lurking behind the image of the perfect leading man of our dreams.

Protector of the weak

vs. Misogynistic way of dealing with HS

k9VrqrN.jpg

The theme of the drama is basically: HS in trouble, WS to the rescue, rinse, repeat. As repetitive as it might sound, it never seems to get old. Because every time he saves her, we get to feel not just his physical pain, but his dilemmas, his inner struggle with morality, his fragility, his raw emotions... This drama is good at tugging our heartstrings through WS's sufferings (& LJG's performance), and it is unabashed at using that same old trick to rope us in.

I have already written a sappy piece about all that WS has gone through to protect HS: injuries, exile, debasement...

Reveal hidden contents

vkrVPbN.jpg

tqisXDl.jpg

zxT2Stu.jpg

uKvISl4.jpg

But his protective streak goes beyond HS. His murder of the monks to cover up his mother's treachery, him standing up for BA when he was being looked down by other princes, his need to defend YH against Yo's overt advances, all the times he has protected Mu, his marriage to the kid-princess, his attempt to protect and later his mercy-killing of Eun...

Reveal hidden contents

UWueex7.gif

oIdLycv.gif

WcueCLq.gif

UFRZdAg.gif

Even his protection of HS is not done just out of love. Back when he stopped YH from caning HS and when he was helping HS run away from the forced marriage, they shared a lukewarm friendship at best. But that didn't stop him from stepping in.

Reveal hidden contents

DLsEf0g.gif

3IWUorG.gif

WS's need to protect and defend anyone he considers weak and defenseless is undeniable. And of course, this offer of protection speaks to the primal part of us that wants to feel safe in the arms of the one we love. Here is the man of our dreams & fairytales, the Knight-in-shining-armour that wields his sword to defend us against all evil... and how can we (and HS) not fall for that?

But this offer of protection is a double-edged sword, especially when it comes to his love for HS. There is a sense that he is always the protector, the minder, the one in control... and she, the helpless one who relies on him. In many ways, he treats her the way we would treat a child --- "Do as I say; it's for your own protection."

When WS was being criticized by the drama viewers for the forced-kiss in Ep9, for the beach scene in Ep10, and then for his repeated phrase of "You are mine" throughout the series, I wrote a defensive piece where I talked about how men of high station in the past views the world & their women (Inside spoiler tag):

Reveal hidden contents

I still stand by that argument. I don't blame WS for just being the man of that era. But we cannot ignore what this sense of misogyny has done to his relationship with HS.

There is no question that he treasures HS. Yet this is not a relationship of equals. As he extends his protection to her, he is compromising on the respect he should have for her as a person. In the name of "protection", he has constantly opted to keep her in the dark about his problems, his plans & his ambitions... although all of those (directly or indirectly) affect HS as well. In his defense, she hasn't been the most logical of beings. (Especially, as a woman from the future being constantly bothered by visions, which WS is not aware of, she might seem frankly nuts to him at times!) But as we watch their relationship unravel due to lack of communication, the fault squarely lies on WS.

The lack of communication on HS part has two very valid excuses. One, without sounding like a nutjob, she can't possibly tell him about where she comes from (without Ji-mong's cooperation, and he seems adamant on not cooperating in this regard) or her visions. Two, later on, her lack of communication is a response to his constant urge to distant himself from her. She doesn't know what he is feeling or what he is planning...... How is she to really open up to him?

But for WS, the lack of communication is a deep-seated character-trait in him. Throughout Mu's reign, WS was obviously shouldering a lot of responsibilities. In my previous post, I have criticized HS for not playing a bigger role during that time (Inside spoiler tag):

Reveal hidden contents

But the blame lies on WS for that too. It seems that in his effort to "heal" her and protect her from the evils of living in the palace, he has not shared any burden of his life or his work with her. I know all the viewers love the star-gazing scene, but there is a reason why I've never done gifs or waxed poetic about that scene. Because as much as my heart & my hormones call for that scene to enthrall me, my brain is so pissed at how their relationship is being portrayed --- the man going off to do his all-important work & then coming home to woo his woman with nonsensical & trivial stuff.

I told myself not to dwell on it, because this might not be the true indication of their relationship dynamics throughout the whole time-skip of 2 years. After all, we didn't get to see any of their interactions during that time. And this is her birthday, so of course, he's supposed to be all lovey-dovey.

But then the boat scene came. What my heart calls it poetically as "a stolen moment of peace for WS"... and my brain calls it "one of the most cowardly & d**kish moments by WS". Rather than opting to have an adult discussion with HS about his impending marriage to a kid, he chose to be selfish (or "protect" her, maybe?) and have another lovey-dovey inconsequential moment with her.

Then the pattern continues. The shadow-puppet & bed scene. I know you all love it, so you are going to hate me for this..... but I'm pissed at him for choosing to ignore the many elephants in the room a.k.a Trust issues, Throne issues, Eun issue..... and treat her like a total airhead & yet again, choose to have a lets-play-happy-couple moment.

Well, maybe he was thinking of confronting the issues later, after he has fully recovered from the arrow wound (even if Ji-mong didn't force the issue). But think about it: HS bared her soul, told him about her pain, declared her trust on him..... His response? Kiss her. Yes, it's romantic, but a very romantic deflection from the issues! Because he wants her to continue assuming, just for a little while more, that her protection is the only reason he has gone away (even though he did it as a strategy to angle for the throne as well). Yes, Wang So tries his very best to not outright lie to HS... but his lies-by-omission are hard to forgive by this point.

Reveal hidden contents

8r65js3.jpg

CLRxHKp.jpg

ZQIR353.jpg

Then of course, the endless major f-ups of Ep18: The silent dinner after his confrontation with WW & her confrontation with YH. Then, the outing -- again, acting like a happy couple while riddled with unspoken issues and each keeping secrets from the other. And after that, the biggest and ugliest move WS has ever made: His choice not to prepare HS for CR's punishment & death.

Reveal hidden contents

EDZBIEB.jpg

SSSOxDB.jpg

ztnUrjT.gif

The torrent of communication breakdown was inevitable, swift & merciless. And all of it circles back to WS not treating HS like an adult, like someone with a logical thinking head, like an equal. The role of the protector and the provider in this relationship has overruled his need to respect her opinions & wishes. And for that, this relationship is doomed even before it can truly blossom.

A man consumed by love

vs. Possessiveness that seeks to preserve what he deems as his

What is MLSHR? Not a time-travel story or a political intrigue. So do we call it a romance? Given how the majority of the OTP shippers are disappointed in this drama, it seems it has failed to live up to the expectations of a love story between WS & HS. Because the main story-arc focuses on WS..... and the "love" part is mainly in the sense of WS's all-consuming love for HS. Many of us stick to this drama because we cannot get enough of the many ways he has expressed his (admittedly very flawed) love for HS.

I have talked about how the need to protect HS manifested itself into the core part of their relationship. But I cannot ignore the possessiveness he has displayed, especially when he first decided he loved her and must have her.

I know that amidst the pile of complications/problems in the OTP relationship, many of us have forgotten the force-kiss, the problematic statements of "You're mine", and especially, the beach scene of Ep10. I don't want to debate on the severity of the crime of force-kissing in a K-Drama (We've been down this road so many times). And I've touched on "You're mine" in the previous section. So let's talk about the beach scene here. Remember when he said he would kill HS's lover? Many fans felt it was an empty threat/joke; they tried to argue that he didn't mean it (although I don't bloody know where they got that conclusion from). But for me, he meant every word. He was in "possession" stage of this romance... and the alpha in him would make sure no one would take what he deems as his.

Reveal hidden contents

xkY7DD1.gif

Reveal hidden contents

5ngIdWP.jpg

WS has precious little he treasures in his life. And the one thing he is most starved of is affection. So when HS offered him affection & understanding as a friend, he could not help but fall for her. She was one ray of light in his dark life, and he sought to have her. It was understandable & heartbreaking. And to his credit, by the end of Ep12, his love has reached the mature stage of "acceptance" and "letting go"; he would see her happy, with or without him by her side (thus his offer of marriage then divorce afterwards, just to give her freedom).

But that dark possessiveness in him that we saw a glimpse of during the beach scene has fully manifested now that he has become GJ. During Yo's reign, Yo has robbed WS of too many things he treasures --- his honour, Eun, his love-life with HS... and he was powerless to stop it. Now that he has regained control of his life & the life of others around him, he would seek to get back everything he deemed as his, and whoever stands (or stood before) in his way will suffer the consequences.

Consequences for WW is coming in next episode (I hope). But for now, I want to talk about his treatment of Queen Yoo & Jung.

Reveal hidden contents

ozA20w8.jpg GA6QEko.jpg

Many viewers feel that even if his treatment of Yoo was justified, how Jung (an innocent party in this) was affected by GJ's decision to bar him from attending his mother's deathbed is unacceptable & out-of-character for GJ. Do I find that cruel? Yes. But out-of-character? Not at all.

His love for Yoo used to be almost all-consuming as the love he has for HS now. He committed murder & treason in the name of love for this mother. But all his life, he has seen Yoo pile affection on Yo and Jung, while rejecting him every step of the way. She was supposed to be his person. But in a sense Yo & Jung took her away from him. Logical or not, it doesn't matter. WS's pain when it comes to his mother's relationship with her other two sons is all too real & raw to him... and it has been festering in him all his life. During the star-gazing scene, he told HS about how he wanted Jung to just "disappear". It shows that his mommy-issues extend beyond his dealings with his mother; consciously or not, he has always harboured resentment towards Yo & Jung.

I am not saying that he made a logical decision to punish Jung. But Jung's suffering in that moment was immaterial to GJ.

And it's not a character flipflop. It just depicts how possessive love & dark resentment can manifest into something truly ugly. Actually, in that moment, he is not even being the logical & cunning GJ; he is just being WS... the son & brother of those who should have loved him and yet shunned him... and he just allowed himself to be ruled by emotions and consumed by hatred & revenge.

A persevering soul who is not cowed by circumstances

vs. Ruthlessness in pursuit of his goals

If the protection WS offers speaks to our need for sense of security, his never-say-die attitude speaks to the underdog in all of us. Even the strongest among us have met a fair share of failures, and that naturally results in our need to root for the underdog. This is a man who shouldn't have survived his childhood. Yet survive and thrive, he did. His years as a hostage has made him stronger. His scars are testament to his core of strength.

WS has been beaten down so many times. He cannot have lived through those dark years without giving himself a goal... a sense of purpose. When he was first introduced to us, he had two goals in mind... and those goals must've been ever-present in him throughout his time as a hostage. One, to return to the palace. Two, more importantly, to win back respect & affection from his parents. He had bided his time so he could one day achieve those goals. And when Mu presented him with the opportunity to do so before the Narye, WS pounced for it... with total disregard to his own security or whoever he would have to sacrifice for those goals. (Remember how badly he treated HS when she foiled his plans to catch the traitors?)

Reveal hidden contents

IFHTS1T.jpg

CvQvHSe.jpg

After that, the target of his pursuit became HS's love. And his need to have her overrode all other goals & ambitions in his life. It is not that he has given up on other goals... they are just not important to him anymore. I don't need to elaborate on how relentlessly he pursued HS. I have already highlighted the dark side of that pursuit in my description of the beach scene in the previous section. His recklessness in trying to keep HS safe can also be seen as another relentless pursuit of his goal. Goal: Protect HS. And to achieve that, he would give up his life, his title, his future.

Now, he has a new goal: To be a powerful King of Goryeo. Many viewers are reeling from all the steps he has taken to achieve that in just one episode. Many feel that he is transforming too fast. Many feel that it's a character-flip-flop: A kindhearted person becoming suddenly ruthless. But actually, he is just being who he has always been: A man who would strive to achieve his goals with reckless abandon. The ruthlessness is actually just efficiency; the lack of mercy is just due to his focus on the ultimate goal.

The moment he made the decision to become King, after Eun's death, his path was already set. His 3 years away from HS? His decision to lead a coup? His marriage & later "transaction" with YH? The punishment & death of CR? Later, whatever he would do to WW? To him, it's just another chess-move to achieve the end-game. 

Earlier, we loved it when that goal-oriented streak in him manifested into the strong-willed underdog who fought for his rightful place in the world. Now that he has become stronger than ever, we have begun to fear what he is truly capable of.

Phoenix that rises from the ashes

vs. Unrelenting pursuit of greater heights

This part goes hand-in-hand with the previous section. But it directly deals with his need to be a true King.

I have seen countless people puzzled by WS/GJ's seemingly-sudden need to be a powerful King. The complaint: He didn't really want the throne, he took it to buy his own freedom & protect HS, so why is he doing everything to reinforce his power as a King? The problem basically lies in our assumption that he didn't really want the throne.

His musings about the throne has gone through much back-&-forth even though the show didn't highlight it much. Before he became focused on HS... Before the makeup scene, after the first failed rain ceremony, before the successful rain ceremony... Remember his conversation with JM? Remember the look on his face when JM told him he may become King? After that, he decided to go to the ceremony even before HS covered his scar.

Reveal hidden contents

BxSKuL6.jpg

As I have said before, at the start of the show, WS's main ambition was to get to stay in the palace & regain his parents' affection. By Ep4, he has realized that his mother is nuts and getting her affection is a lost cause. And by the end of same episode, he has succeeded in regaining his place in the palace. So he was only left with the goal of pleasing his father... which means being a worthy prince in his father's eyes. Despite the bleak circumstances, WS has managed to rise to that level..... and a person who possesses such core of strength & zeal will not stop trying to reach greater heights. He won't be content with just having a place in the palace and being Mu's loyal pup. Therefore, being a capable prince & becoming a worthy King some day (after Mu, of course) must have crossed his mind.

Then comes the successful rain ceremony. He is suddenly the beloved prince of the people of Goryeo... the one that moved the Heavens to save the nation. Remember the dazed look of joy when he was being carried back to the palace? Given how starved he was of affection & adoration, the amount of adulation he received after the ceremony must have felt really heady to him. And... at the same time, he has secured his father's affection & attention. So now what? Yes, by then, he already has his eyes on HS, but the dilemma of "Throne vs. HS" was not highlighted to him at that time, so he was not against getting the throne yet. Logically, one can assume that he would want the throne just as any other prince, because other than the throne & HS, what does he have to live for now?

Reveal hidden contents

vxwsdma.gif

Then Ep11 comes, manure hits the fan, and his father's utter disregard towards HS's plight is what finally made him turn his back on the throne in that episode. HS became the only meaning of his life; when he said to her that he didn't want the throne, he meant it.

But what did that do to him? Both Mu's and Yo's reigns have shown him that being close to the throne yet not having it only endangers him and the people he loves. And after Eun's death, he made the decision to discard HS's love, in exchange for her safety & his own freedom (and thus, the throne).

So just to summarize his character trajectory: This is a man who has always sought to bring himself out of the darkest times and towards greater heights. There was no evidence to suggest that he didn't want the throne before Ep11, and logic dictates that he must have had some desire for it. His decision to turn his back on the throne, in the name of his love for HS, backfires. So now, he has decided to get the throne. That's a proper character trajectory; there's nothing out-of-character about it.

A man of honour

vs. Honour taking precedent over everything (even rivaling his love for HS)

This continues from the previous section. One would ask: If he got the throne just for the sake of HS (and his own freedom), why try so hard to ensure his power? Well, firstly, WS doesn't do anything by halves. Whatever situation he is in, he lives in the present and he gives it all. But more importantly, he's an honourable man who doesn't take his position as the ruler of a nation, lightly.

Remember Taejo sending WS away as an ambassador? He knew that it was an exile in disguise, a punishment for his disregard towards the royal order in Ep11. But he went willingly enough, and from the report he gave afterwards, did a good job.

Then during Mu's reign, I am sure he could have bought his freedom & HS's. Before descent into madness, Mu viewed both of them very favourably, and actually owed them his life & his throne. But WS stayed, probably very aware of Mu's weakened & dangerous position. And when Mu was falling apart as a King, any other person in WS's position would have considered securing the power to himself, even if it is just to get the palace out of disarray. Yet, as an honour-bound man, he served his King faithfully.

Even during Yo's reign, WS did his best to serve honourably. Yes, he was being threatened with HS & BA & JM, but the thought of a coup didn't even cross his mind until Eun died.

Now, as a King, he is honour-bound to serve his country, and provide stability to this fairly new nation. Whatever the reason behind his ascent to the throne, I cannot see him taking his responsibilities lightly. Even when he was putting his foot down and being adamant about marrying HS, I am sure he was already searching for other avenues to affirm his power. Now that HS has given him an out and he had to sacrifice her for the security of the throne, he would be even more invested in reaffirming his power & authority.

An avenging angel

vs. Merciless in his dealings with betrayal

Many of us have been calling for justice for the crimes of Queen Yoo, YH and WW. The innocents, especially HS, have suffered so much in this drama that we all are out for blood.

But it seems, we want such justice done only to certain people, and only in certain ways. For HS's sake, we wanted CR spared..... If not that, we at least hoped not to get to see the bloody reality of CR's punishment. Yet, we got exactly that --- the burrito (Who on earth came up with that term, by the way? Urgh..... Can't look at a burrito again anytime soon).

Many of us cannot wrap our heads around GJ's cruelty. I myself am still reeling from what GJ has done. But let's take a step back and look at this.

The mercury poisoning incident has to be dealt with swiftly. If anyone knows of it and becomes aware that GJ has spared someone who plotted against a King, it will raise questions about the legitimacy of monarchy as a whole, and thus, his own authority over his people. So, to deal with it... what should GJ do? CR's crime (whether HS knows of it or not) also implicates HS, because she is the figure of authority over CR. In order to deflect the attention from HS's "involvement" & to ensure no one dared question his authority over the issue, GJ has made the punishment a bloody spectacle.

Another point of note is CR's position. Though WS/GJ seems like a nice guy, as a highborn, he must be used to seeing slaves as expendable. I doubt he would have been needlessly cruel to a slave, but I also doubt he would lose much sleep over the death of a mere slave. The consideration he would have given about CR would only be in connection with HS, not for CR herself. And even with HS in the equation, he has made the decision that eliminating CR is still the best option.

And I also feel that GJ's rage against CR is understandable, even if not really forgivable. I suspect the severity behind his punishment had much to do with the fact that CR betrayed HS, and that she was kinda responsible for GJ not being able to marry HS. He is not merely out for justice. This is a man out for revenge..... revenge against those who wronged him and the person he loves.

So we were hoping that his sense of justice & revenge will manifest into him becoming an avenging angel. But as they say, be careful what you wish for. Because it seems, what we're gonna get is a merciless bloodbath... and not directed at people we are hoping for.

For all the complaints the viewers have about WS's swift change in character, all he has truly changed is just in his demeanor; his core of character remains unchanged. His days as WS has already defined the trajectory of becoming GJ.

So if we are heartbroken now, it seems we have no one to blame but ourselves for this. The beauty of his character -- both inside and out -- is so great that it has blinded us when it comes to its darkness. And for that, we now suffer the pain of losing our beloved Wang So and getting the hardened Gwangjong... even though WS & GJ has ever been one and the same, and it is our own blinkered eyes and easily-swayed hearts that have been fooling us all along.

Yet I have no regrets. Maybe I am a masochist, but I love that Wang So & MLSHR have given me a chance to be a fool in love. It spoke to the innocence that I thought I've lost a long time ago, and while I am now hurt & disappointed, I am happy to have gone through this journey. Even as I prepare for the inevitable doom of Goryeo's HS&WS (maybe, there is a new beginning in modern day Korea, but their love in Goryeo is definitely taking the final breath) in Ep 19&20, my love for this drama remains undiminished and if possible, even more all-consuming.

So come what may, I eagerly look forward to the finale and whatever heartbreak it may bring. \^0^/

@zi4r Wah..its took me quite sometimes to read your post and I love your analysis about WS s character in MLSH....WS has not changed but he is just more defined with his goals, parallel in protectIng his loved one, nation and his throne.

Edited by LyraYoo
please purge mulitple photos/long post
  • Like 13

honestly, i have never seen actor/actresses who play in a drama post this many stuff about the drama they are in, so the interaction of ML's casts in instagram are quite new to me (or probably i never paid that much attention to instagrams...) so lovely, it shows they are very close with one another, and i could imagine a happy environment is all actor/actresses could ever ask for in filmings.. so i'm happy for them

btw whats all this about drama awards? i dont think sbs put up their nominees for this year award yet, right? or do you guys mean the korea drama awards? 

• Like 16

h-1, guys.can't wait 2 last episode of MLSHR. how about the ending ? it's will same with chinese version ? hopefully not, pleaseee .....

i just curious how WS/GJ finally realize that HS really love him very much till the end?

and will be Baek Ha have suicide too following Woo He ( because of spoiler picture in IG)?

oh my, why this saeguk drama make me so frustrated want to know what will the ending look a like.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, stevii said:

honestly, i have never seen actor/actresses who play in a drama post this many stuff about the drama they are in, so the interaction of ML's casts in instagram are quite new to me (or probably i never paid that much attention to instagrams...) so lovely, it shows they are very close with one another, and i could imagine a happy environment is all actor/actresses could ever ask for in filmings.. so i'm happy for them

btw whats all this about drama awards? i dont think sbs put up their nominees for this year award yet, right? or do you guys mean the korea drama awards? 

I think IU feels that they are a second family...and probably all share the same feeling.  

• Like 13

4 hours ago, MoOnLoVeRz said:

SoSoo fan editz! hamtaro_mouse_emoji_08__heart_angel___v1 (click to enlarge)

Hide contents

Beautiful edits. Saved and use it for my lock screen! Thank you for sharing :blush:

1 hour ago, KdramaSwimmer said:

Hello everyone.

Was busy all this while in preparation of our biggest festival.... And will not be able to be active for another 3 days.

So logged in today to wish you all a very happy Diwali (Indian festival of Light).

Hope to see you soon.

Happy diwali! Hope youre doing a great day with your family and closed one. Hehehe. 

• Like 10

1 minute ago, imsoso said:

HURRY VOTE FOR LEE JUN KI AND IU COUPLE @hallyuvote.com

u can wait 3 min bofere u can vote again ...3 min enough not 5 

Spoiler

i ve been using auto mouse click for 10h....sorry im a badgirl

• Like 8

1 minute ago, phenyl said:

latest ig

Since Princess Hours, i never like, no love all the songs in an OST Kdrama until MLSHR came. In a song, i am in the lyrics before the melody and once I said " I only like a song that I can understand."  It seems that I am eating my words in just one gulp. Kdama changes my life..especially MLSHR. I never been affected like this before by a kdrama. 

• Like 17

1 hour ago, bingewatcherinsomniac said:

@Siracusa thanks for reminding me of that old Chinese proverb, “yuánfèn”. It perfectly describes our OTP’s relationship, how their love have to surrender to the cruel fate, which make me wonder about..

HAE SOO AND WANG SO’S RELATIONSHIP, IS IT FATE OR JUST A DISTRACTION?

After watch and re watch both episode 17 and 18 consequently, everything became much clearer. I should eat my own words but now it’s true that they are never each other fated lovers. Yes their love is beautiful, strong, heartwarming and passionate that should be celebrated as it still blossoming despite all the prejudices, difficulties and tragedy surround them, in the end they still fight to maintain their purest feeling to each other, in which fitted to be describe as EPIC. But it’s a mistake of its own. They are not supposed to fall for each other. Like everything that was not meant to be, it has its own limit. The deeper their feeling grows, the more it gets closer to its impending end. As sad and devastated we might feel as viewers, sometimes life is just like that, it’s unfair and not always goes the way we want it to happen despite our best effort and noble intention.

Ironically, if we take a look closely, HS is the other woman while YH is WS’s fated one. No matter what she has done, all the sins she was committed and where the life took her ups and downs, the path eventually leads to WS. Since we are inside the “WHAT IFs” cloud right now.. maybe, without HS’s presence YH probably never have to pushed herself to sell her soul to the devil and chose the darkest path, but we will never know.  YH was, after all, the only girl in WS’s past that treat him rather kindly (for whatever twisted reasons) and if the situation fit the desperate times, she might turn his curiosity into some kind of fondness (grrr.. how much I hate to type this.. but the realist in me thought it was possible). In this show however, the writer portrayed HS as WS’s true love and we can’t help but feel betrayed and loath YH as a character that always manage to get her way and destroying their relationship.

It does sort of explain King Taejo’s frankness and rather hostile treatment to HS. It’s not just because she was the reason of lady oh’s death, but also how much she influenced his favorite son to even disregard his responsibility and position as prince. King Taejo knew that HS was never meant to be with his son, especially with the great destiny he has in front of him. Remember? At that time WS was brave enough to defied the king if that concerns HS. While he took proud at his son courageous act but he never accepts his reason, which is HS. That is why he specifically told HS to let the fate happens as is, which was the subtlest way to ask her to back off entirely.

Same with Jimong. He knew exactly where their relationship headed, but decides not to do anything about it until he is declared as the king. And when he does, HS is nothing but a hindrance. That is why he gave her the harshest reality check (which was way worse than YH sarcastic tone, tbh) with the death body counts and forced her to surrender her dream of happiness, all for the sake of greater good.

I agree. Hae Soo is just another "variable", according to Jimong's prophecy. However that begs for another question: did she end up stranded in Goryeo for no reason at all? or is there a mastermind behind this?

Ooh, a juicy material for season 2? :grimace:

• Like 14

42 minutes ago, femmy said:

h-1, guys.can't wait 2 last episode of MLSHR. how about the ending ? it's will same with chinese version ? hopefully not, pleaseee .....

i just curious how WS/GJ finally realize that HS really love him very much till the end?

and will be Baek Ha have suicide too following Woo He ( because of spoiler picture in IG)?

oh my, why this saeguk drama make me so frustrated want to know what will the ending look a like.

@femmy  Yes this drama is frustingly good I had got to the point I stop commenting in the thread and just read everyone comments some spot on in the characters roles WW was the one that made my blood boil being the useless cowardly person he is.. So I stop pulling my hair out 3 episodes ago I tell you since then drama aired I might have collected a few gray ones but I'll sit quitely for the ending just to see if it would be any different from the original..

Well everyone the moment of truth has arrived I remember discussing the ending in the beginning so here it is

I have to thank all the recappers still and video poster and most of all the commentators that kept this thread on fire day in day out It's so many of us in this thread it's hard to name you all.. It was fun while it lasted and well meet up again my MLSHR Lovers..

If LJK don't get and award for this drama I'm going to be really upset he did a helluva job in this drama playing WS to the King  

• Like 15