[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

11 minutes ago, penelop3 said:

I wonder what's Soo takes on this. We dont get to see her reaction right? But she did promise and say that she trust him, no matter what. 

i personally think Soo already accept it that she can't change the history... So will ascend the throne whether she agree or not and of course So would assured her that everything going to be fine when he got the throne (obviously NOT!!)..

in BBJX there a slight suspicion that 4th changing the emperor will from 14th as a king to 4th.. they never really showed whether its true or not but its a myth... that's why 4th not getting his brother support when he became a king.. and the scene where Queen Yoo question that So stealing the throne also happen in BBJX... So hugging Su in the preview is because he have a bad dream about Su... i just remember after all the drama when 4th became a king he have a nightmare when he sleep with RX...

gosh everything is in this drama became more and more similar in BBJX... and to think the ending make me cry a little bit..... 

• Like 12

2 hours ago, zi4r said:

And here comes another rant. I am not usually the one who complains about the amount of screen time OTP is given; as long as the story is going through a logical flow, I am fine with less time for OTP. But COME ON!!!

I know Eun and SD were gonna die... but their Ep15 lovey dovey scene was wayyyyyyy too long. And then, for our OTP, all their beautiful moments together were squeezed into less than 5 minutes. WTH!!!!

@zi4r I agree with you on this....I mean they're really cute together and all but if you're going to kill them off in the next episode anyway why would you even bother going through their lovey dovey scenes ONE episode before they die?!?! I was like 95% sure they were going to die based on the previews so I didn't even bother investing myself in their relationship, especially because they didn't develop it long ago. I wish they gave us more time for our OTP :bawling:

• Like 12

I felt so at ease these days (no more emotional roller coaster) because I have weaned myself from the show and the emotional toll it is taking on me (starting from ep 16). I actually came over here in around ep 8 to cure myself of my addiction to Moon Light but ended up stop watching Moon Light and getting too attached by HS-WS...sigh....(moonlight is definitely a more light-hearted show, and wouldn't have taken such an emotional toll on me...) But reading all your recaps and discussions, chingus, make me miss my favorite couple so much!T_T I just can hope for an ending in which the WS that HS gets together somehow retains memories of her (maybe he got swapped with the future guy or something and lost his memory when he died (as on old man?). Please I just can't if they replace WS if a random future guy. I mean with all the things that they went through to be together, it's not fair for HS if the guys she gets together with never experienced what she did...I have a feeling though, only because HS arrived in that area, with all the political conflicts and because of all the torture and harshness that WS had to go through, that they were able to form such an epic love story. If it was in modern time, there would have been much less conflict (I mean yeah there is, as we can see in modern k-drama), but not near as tragic as in Goryeo. That's what tested and made their love so deep. If HS gets together with just a random WS-look-alike guy, I'll be so sad for both of them...

• Like 22

15 hours ago, tinniet said:

OMG I JUST DIED LAUGHING WHEN LJG STARTED HOWLING LOLOLOL

why I feel like peeping on a real couple playing shadow puppet in their bedroom?? They both look so happy and natural and the chemistry is just so real. I know I'll start shipping them IRL after watching this :blush:

Just look at his face after the kissing scene. He must be overjoy after kissing IU. hahahahah!! They are so cute together.

• Like 20

9 minutes ago, rei_smasher11 said:

Just watched the SBS version and I'd say I like this better that the intl one only because they kissed twice (but i love the intimate hug too). Someone mentioned that SBS butchered the scene by replaying the kissing scene but I was happy that it didnt because they filmed the kissing scene twice (thanks BTS).
EUN and SD - i watched their scene twice and I cried both times. It was perfectly acted l. Even though Eun realized too late that he loves SD, i think he will make it up to her in the afterlife. KUDOS TO HERA AND BAEKHYUN! 
YO - Instead of rage I feel pity for this guy. He was definitely being used by his mother. I like what So said that Yo's guilt of the death of his brothers weighed him down thus his craziness starts to show
Wook - Who? 
Jung - I love Ji Soo but Jung who? 
BA & WH - i will definitely heartbroken if BA finds out that WH is Yo's spy. If they follow the chinese ver, i think BA will understand but WH will commit suicide because of guilt. I'm so not ready for that! 
So & Soo - I CANNOT REALLY EXPLAIN IN WORDS HOW I FEEL FOR SO AND LJK's ACTING OMG HE IS SO GOOD. Their love was slow but intense. I want to have So in my life too 

As for Soo, the separation made her realize that she truly loves So and I like that she was the one who longed for him and make her the agressive one. The OTP moments specially the backhug scene (w/c i dont get why it was cute from the intl ver) was so intimate that I also feel what they're feeling (told you I cannot really explain it in words hahaha) Can't wait what will happen after one of them changes. Will it be a bad thing or a good thing? 
I cannot wait to someone subbed the latest BTS. I want to know what was LJK saying after the kiss hahaha
Side note - 1 episode for this week and not sure if we will get 2 episodes next week. As Wang So says.....

If it makes it any better. In the Chinese version, Ruxoi lies to the 13th prince by saying C-drama's WH told her she was leaving the palace and that WH is still alive and free from the constraints of the palace.

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, Gabi Bros said:

IU: "Boyfriend? What is that? When I am filming, I am always single. B)

NOTE: This is not a real quote of IU. 

And this is where I had a Yo-like-heart-attack #DED

Edit: this is also where the candle gets blown out ;) LOL

• Like 12

37 minutes ago, sadpluto said:

What is this blood letter everyone keeps talking about? I know I saw her holding it in the long trailer but what is it about in the c-version?:huh:

There is a Chinese Version of this drama that would be highly recommended to help understand the plot of this Korean Version

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, fuyukoneko said:

If it makes it any better. In the Chinese version, Ruxoi lies to the 13th prince by saying C-drama's WH told her she was leaving the palace and that WH is still alive and free from the constraints of the palace.

Oh really but I still feel sad for BA :tears:

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, sweetpealover said:

Hello, All. I am a new member of Soompi and since I started watching this drama and reading these post decided to become a member. Even though I started late, I hope that you all will be kind and teach me the ropes of being a member because I have no idea where to start.

Welcome to the thread! Never too late to join the party! :D 

Well, come and join us in the discussion! you can use quote if you want to reply to someone's post :)

• Like 9

55 minutes ago, sweetpealover said:

There is a Chinese Version of this drama that would be highly recommended to help understand the plot of this Korean Version

I think they are talking about another version of Scarlet Heart, Jade Palace/Lock Heart, which was a mash-up of the original book (Bu Bu Jing Xin) and Boys Over Flowers. The production company is known for plagiarism. You can google the controversy because I might wrong about the sequence of events. But, let's just say it's hilarious because, the producer, Yu Zheng, is known for plagiarism allegations. Scarlet Heart and Palace (Lock Heart) were released the same year, though the book, Bu Bu Jing Xin has been around since 2005. Bu  Bu Jing Xin the tv series is also known as Startling by Each Step and Scarlet Heart.

Lock Heart (yea, they changed one word in name) has the romance with 8th prince instead. I'm giving spoiler because you asked. 8th writes a letter in blood to divorce her when things get deadly. He's jailed and looking tragically unkempt, while she piteously crying about it can still be the two of them against the world. he tells her to leave and then he bites his finger and writes a divorce decree with his blood and flings it in her face.

The series is on the surface more light-hearted but, people get killed in Jade Palace too. As a plus, it also had the yummy Feng Shao Feng as lead. This series has sequels that are actually not painful to watch, as opposed to the WTHellery that was Scarlet Heart's sequel. I would recommend watching it, it is very entertaining.

• Like 5

Guest nchoerunnisa
4 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:
Spoiler

We've been directed to view the throne as the holy grail in this drama right from the start. The seat of power that is coveted by men seeking the power that it holds for whatever ends. Watching Yo descend into madness (albeit somewhat quickly) suggests that the throne was not meant to be his in the first place and the means he used to consolidate his position would become his ultimate undoing. The truth is that no one can wield its power without being unscathed in some fashion but the more interesting question then becomes how much of an impact does it have on the soul of the one that sits on it?

It certainly has interesting parallels with the Ring of Power... the One Ring... from LOTR. Is it an instrument of corruption or does it merely show what is in the heart of the man who wears it? In the case of ML... the throne represents the gaining of absolute power but the question then is... what manner of man can hold such power in his hands?

What will the throne do to So... will he be a Gollum or a Boromir (which is what Yo falls victim to) or will he will be something closer to an Aragorn or even a Faramir or a Frodo? 

I think it's clear from the books that the Ring of Power takes what is inside the wearer even with the best of intentions, amplifies and corrupts it. A wonderful allegory of sin developed by Tolkien. 

In Lang Ya Bang (Nirvana in Fire) there's a fascinating conversation between the Emperor and the protagonist about what the throne represents. The Emperor insists that the throne changes people. Even with all the good intentions in the world to do good when one attains power, one is inevitably changed by it. Power... as the saying goes... corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. The protagonist disagrees... he postulates that the man who sits in it determines the quality of the rule and determines what that seat becomes. A good man who doesn't seek power for its own sake won't ever be corrupted by it. Well, at least not to the extent that he will eschew all the principles he holds dear. From this perspective, the throne is a revelation... it becomes a mirror of the man who sits in it.

It's a great debate... probably one that has been raging since time immemorial. 

So then... what man can rule? What kind of man can handle so much power and will never completely consumed by it? That is the million dollar question.

In Spiderman talk... the other side of power is great responsibility. Used for altruistic purposes, power can do much good. I am also reminded of another piece of popular culture, Ever After, about a prince who didn't want to be King. He was constantly running from it, calling it his "gilded cage". But when he met the right woman, she opened his eyes to the possibilities of what being a King could be. He could use that position to do a lot of good. (Lots of references to Thomas More's Utopia which was incidentally satirized by Voltaire in Candide) All the things he was passionate about could be a platform from which he made his contribution to his land.

I believe Gwangjong could be that kind of man. Although the woman by his side never wanted him to become King... which is perhaps in part why she was loathed to get involve with him romantically... Through the ironies of fate, she becomes the means by which his eyes were opened to its possibilities for good. To protect her and whatever's left of his family, he's finally put his hand up for the job after being misused, abused, bullied almost to the point of losing his own sense of self (constanty labelled pejoratively as a "dog" or a "wolf").

What kind of man can potentially be a good king? I think the message of the drama is... one that has suffered and loved through suffering. 

And in this story really no one has suffered as much as So... and no one arguably has loved as greatly as So. 

Wonderful post... I enjoy reading it... thank you... :wub:

I also want to point out that, for So, becoming the king is no longer only about him wanting to protect Soo and his family. His cause has grown bigger than that. As So said toward the end of today episode:

"I started this so that I could stop us brothers from having to kill each other. However, when I was building the castle I realized that the world can change if the king changes. I won't be controlled by anyone and I can get rid of all this absurdity. Being king is something I definitely want."
- Wang So -

So what did happen when So was building the castle? So saw so many slaves must die when they were doing forced labor to build the castle:

"What's so important about a few dead slaves that you would stop construction again?"
- Wang Yo -

Those slaves death was due to exhaustion from being overworked. But Yo, as the King, couldn't care less. All he cares about is for the castle to be done on schedule. I think So wants to stop this cruelty, but he's helpless since he must obey the King's command.

I don't know where this story is heading to or what kind of king So is going to be in this show, but I found So's statement interesting since, if I'm not mistaken, Gwangjong a.k.a So is known as The King who freed slaves during his reign. Please, CMIIW.

Well, whether this story is going to follow history or not, at least So, so far, is the only one who pursues the throne for the sake of Goryeo people. Mu didn't want to be a king at all; Yo wanted to become king out of greed; and Wook wants to become the king to have Soo and strengthen his family's (clan's) position in Goryeo so no one can mess with any Hwangbos anymore.

I feel like So has matured a lot now. I know our favorite court lady, Soo, was a little bit disappointed since she's no longer So's first priority. But I love that So has a greater cause to pursue the throne now. It probably sounds less romantic, but at least it feels right. Well, King is such a strategic position, it's such a shame to use it for the sake of only a handful people. Of course, I hope he'll be a better politician, tactician, and strategist than his father so he won't have to give up on his beloved ones whenever things get hard or complicated. And also, let's hope that So (borrowing Jung Do-Jeon's quote from Six Flying Dragons) won't have worm grown in his heart.

I also think it's time for Soo to stop freaking out and become a supportive girlfriend for So. Instead of stopping him from becoming a king (if that's what she's doing right now), it's gonna be better if she guides and grooms him to become a good king. Beside, we're talking about changing 1000 years of history here, who knows what would have happened if Gwangjong had never been a King. Probably even the South Korea that she lived in would have never been exist.

Okay, that's enough. Gotta back to real life. I love today episode btw. My ship is sailing so strong (let's enjoy it while it lasts :sweatingbullets:). Can hardly wait for the next Monday to come :):wub:.

@ruizaio You mentioned that Moon Lovers is loved in Korea despite the low ratings. Is our SoSoo (SoHae) couple is loved as well? Pardon me if it sounds a silly question.

The reason I’m asking this because I love this OTP like very berry much. I just can’t help myself with the feels. I always cry watching their scenes (both happy and sad scenes). I even dreamt about them last week. I wish I could lessen my love for them, but it’s hard. I would love to see LJG & LJE pairing up again in another project, but given the ratings I realise the chance is getting smaller and smaller. 

Yes, agreed with you guys. Wish the sweet moments at the end of ep 16 was longer…I expected more.. I guess, I never get enough of their moments.

I can’t imagine the days that I’ll go through once Moon Lovers is over, only time will tell… Like someone said here about the drama & OTP…the struggle is real, it is!!

• Like 16

dunno weather i have the guts to watch ep 17 - 20...

ML turns out to be a twist from bbjx... and i can not predict nor shape my heart for the ending...

just wanna let my memory stuck with those two love birds in their nest play puppet show... :bawling:

but the heck... gonna be there with you all on next monday....

• Like 13

Can someone explain to me the character of WangJung to me?Because til now,I still don't understand him...why is he so...ignorant?I don't even know if that is the right word to describe him.Shouldn't fighting at the borders teach him something about decision making too?That everything isn't black and white....?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, shae said:

I think they are talking about another version of Scarlet Heart, Jade Palace/Lock Heart, which was a mash-up of the original book (Scarlet Heart) and Boys Over Flowers. The production company is known for plagiarism. You can google the controversy because I might wrong about the sequence of events. But, let's just say it's hilarious because, after the release of the series AT the same time as the Tong Hua's vetted drama Scarlet Heart, this production company had the audacity to use another of Hua's works, changed just enough to be legalish.

Lock Heart (yea, they changed one word in name) has the romance with 8th prince instead. I'm giving spoiler because you asked. 8th writes a letter in blood to divorce her when things get deadly. He's jailed and looking tragically unkempt, while she piteously crying about it can still be the two of them against the world. he tells her to leave and then he bites his finger and writes a divorce decree with his blood and flings it in her face.

The series is on the surface more light-hearted but, people get killed in Jade Palace too. As a plus, it also had the yummy Feng Shao Feng as lead. This series has sequels that are actually not painful to watch, as opposed to the WTHellery that was Scarlet Heart's sequel. I would recommend watching it, it is very entertaining.

Jade Palace came before the Chinese Scarlet Heart, they are fairly similar but different 

• Like 4