[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

Having just finished watching episode 18, I wholeheartedly agree with Ji Mong.  Soo is no match for So.  This is not because Soo does not love So enough, but it's because she is not from that Goryeo time.  Soo just does not understand palace politics and all that goes with it.  Her ideals are all 21st century.  And crazy sister YH (someone here appropriately named her Dimple Witch) has it right. Soo is So's weakness.  She will be the downfall of him. Soo is unable to protect So, as she will never do what it takes to make sure So keeps the throne.  When Empress Hwangbo was showing Soo's book of unknown writing to So and he said, "I don't care" and then, "What is so good about this seat anyways?" Empress Hwangbo stated to So, "The only way to leave that seat (throne) is to die".  Meaning he can't leave the throne now just to be with Soo. I think So was really thinking about throwing the throne away at this point and Empress De Cruel just had to remind him of what that will result in.  

I understand why So sent Jung away.  I understand why he had CR beaten to death.  I understand why he has to be ruthless. Most of all the people he has cared for is either dead or has left, he now only has BA and Soo. Everyone else is a potential threat to these two love ones of his. He must set examples. This is all he can do as king to protect them. No one seemed to be afraid of him, in fact they all dared to not show up to court and pretty much told him his claimed as King has no power over them. Everyone including his brother Jung and evil mother conspired to overthrow him.  They blackmailed him into marrying the Dimple Witch and prevented him from marrying Soo which resulted in him breaking another of his promises to Soo.  They killed two of his brothers that he loved. They murdered the daughter of the General who was like a father to him.  They have actively participated and involved themselves in hurting the one person that he loves more than anything else.  And we have all experienced what he can and will do when the people he loves is threatened.  They cornered him, the Wolf. And the Wolf bit back and bit damn hard so they will never forget.  The only problem with biting this hard is that somebody will die. And that had to be Empress Insanecrazy mother and CR. His mother was insane to the very end. So is not heartless. I felt if she only gave in just even a little bit (drink when he's feeding you you stupid crazy idiot), So would've relented and let Jung see her. But oh no, she had to show her hatred of him to the very end. God, she is the only character that I am unable to find even an ounce of sympathy for.  

And Soo! Like I said, she is unable to understand palace politics. She undermines So's authority unintentionally but undermines it she does.  So tried to set an example by sending Jung off publicly for attempting treason and his returning will result in his death but what does Soo do?  Instead of supporting her man, she goes behind him and brings Jung to the palace.   Soo has a good heart and the best of intentions but that girl will get my King killed.  Undermining him like this will show the Ministers So's weakness.  Honestly, she can't be faulted as she just doesn't know better but that cannot be used as an excused when her actions will result in So's death and in turn, her death. Her "little sister" killed her "big brother" by mercury poisoning and all we heard her say was that ,"it's because she (CR) was born a slave." At this time I think she was still thinking like she was still in the 21st century.  I believe when she was standing at Damiwon, she came to a realization of what she finally have to do. When she finally decided on leaving, she finally understood what her leaving will mean.  She will not be used as a tool anymore against her beloved King.  So drinked poision because of her.  He had to leave the palace to be ambassador because of her. He had to be YO's dog because of her. He had to kill Eun partially because of her.  He finally decided on being King also partially because of her.  Now she feels responsible that her beloved King had to kill again due in part to her. She will not be used again against her man. 

It is so tragic whichever way one looks at it.  My heart is breaking at all this misunderstanding between them. Because what they do is because of what they think will be in the best interest of each other.  However, In this Era and time, they are just not meant to be together. Everyone and everything is conspiring against them. Even death will have a hand in separating them.  They love each other sooooo much. I cried when So shed a tear while hugging Soo claiming she will be the only queen in his life yet knowing they will never be married. Another promise he can't keep.  

• Like 24

I don't know if someone already post this before. But my heart hurt so much watching this video

Hae Soo : how can you leave him alone in that scary palace? You've seen how lonely he is after he took the throne. How come just because of that traitor Chae Ryung, you leave him after all the promise you've make never to leave his side? Have you learn making empty promises from Wook now??

Wang So : I get it Wook is your nemesis, and you are hate the idea of your woman having ANY kind of relationship with that snake. But putting all the blame on Soo will not make anything right if not make everything worse! 

credit : youtube Kleo Li

• Like 11

Hello everyone!! :blush:

I have been a silent reader since some time ago, MLSHR is sooo addictive like your coments!! > u < 
Like all of you I am broken with this episode 19 TT - TT all is going to hell, ALL IS ALREADY ON HELL!! ...so, I decide to create my own happy ending:

I dont know how, but, I want that WangSo travel to the future with HaeSoo, maybe when she run away with Jung can be a persecution, in some time HaeSoe is in danger and Wang So embrace hae soo to protect her and both fall into a lake !! All thinks they are death! BUT NOT! They appear on the future! And Hae Soo, ( I dont remember her real name, future name XD ) have to teach Wang So how to live in the modern era :heart: and both are happy and far away (  thousand years far away ) of Gorgyeo and all its misery !!  :glasses:

I know, this seems really silly and stupid but I want this !!  I dont want the end that is coming and will be devastating  :bawling: WangSo and HaeSoo will be together forever D': 

Pd. Sorry for my bad English >////< 

• Like 12

2 hours ago, runitaaa said:

I just watch int version and not SBS version, but personally the reason for So-Soo break up is just not enough tension! I mean, they already gone through all that hardship for years now, and just because of Chae Ryung (and Gwangjong ego to prevent Jung by his mother side) Soo already give up on him??? Not that I against that decision whatsoever, the poor girl need to pack up and leave the palace ASAP, it will be better if she leave Goryeo era too! Now I wish we have the pregnancy troupe and use it for So-Soo break up...

Hai @runitaaa nice to know you. It is my first time commented in this forum after all this time become a silent reader. hehehehe. I think the international version and SBS version has a difference performance. I watched the international version and while i saw the SBS version in naver there are view scenes which not aired in the international version. I don't know why, but the SBS version is more complete than the international version.

I think i agree with you about the reason So-Soo break up. If i can say, Soo is too selfish and childish. She doesn't really understand how to life in the palace and the most important thing is she doesn't know the burden of the king (maybe because she is not from Goryeo but still she already life there for a years). Gwangjong and Wang So is one person but if it is Gwangjong then he must act as a King and not as Wang So and i think that's why he become firm or even cruel just because to make his people accept him as their King (I think Soo is not understand this point or maybe she is not ready enough to face the fact that Wang So is now a King of Goryeo).

I had always become a supporter of So-Soo, but after yesterday episode i think it would be better if Soo leave the palace and back to the future otherwise she will ruin everything.

I hope the 2 remaining episodes will be more interesting than before and no more heartbreaking scenes pleeeaaassseeee.......

• Like 8

2 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Good episode but yeah... very sad as the inevitable looms large. The throne is truly a lonely place and to hold on to it is a terrifying task.

As someone else said earlier in the thread, I too have a really hard time taking sides between So and Su because I love them both and I can quite easily put myself in their shoes and walk in them. In a real enough way these two people would have never met if she hadn’t been transported unceremoniously across time and space. It’s a mismatched situation and ultimately it’s a mix of circumstances and their own personalities that will tear them apart. But it doesn’t make their romance less great even if they go their separate ways. The greatness of their romance shouldn’t be measured by whether they have a happy ending but by how much they loved when they could. My belief is that they were hampered from the start but in the end they tried the very best they could. I never assumed that they would have a happy ending judging from the source material and I never liked to speculate much that they would either.

My view for some time has been that Su was brought back to Goryeo precisely for the qualities that she’s being berated for clinging onto right now. Narratively at least, only a woman who can see the best in others despite all appearances to the contrary could have tamed a savage, blood-thirsty, ruthless man and caused him to fall in love. Wang So was a pariah within his family and in all of Goryeo. His reputation as a wolf-like creature preceded him and yet she managed to find something in him to sympathize with. More than that, her tendency to sympathize compelled her to help him unmask himself and instil the confidence he needed to get to where he is today. On top of all of that, her unerring optimism and sassy attitude endeared her to most of the princes. Before we turn on her wholesale, let’s remember that those were the character traits that made her uniquely qualified to unlock So’s heart and take him on his journey to the throne.

I think it is a little unfair to ask her to jettison all of that just because it would be more expedient to do so. On some level, I want her to become as conniving and ruthless as Yeon Hwa but then if she were like YH, neither Uk nor So would never have fallen for her. She would have just been another palace player with agendas, manipulating everyone for her own ends.

However, having said that, it is also fair to say that if she can’t cast off her idealism because it’s killing her little by little inside, she needs to leave so that she doesn’t hold So back from doing what needs to be done and if So does love her and continues to respect her freedom, he should let her go.

I also strenuously disagree that Su doesn’t love So or has never loved him. I am really surprised that even after the last few episodes commenters are still saying this. She has compromised her own stated positions on polygamy and marriage in general not once but twice already because of him. She didn’t condemn him for killing Eun and understood why he did it. She waited at least 2 years for him when he left without her and she helped him become King despite her own misgivings. When she built her prayer shrine, she asked for more time to be with him knowing that she’s largely living on borrowed time.

Much as I don’t care for Chae Ryung, I’m sure that entire episode devastated Su not just because of the brutality in which punishment was meted out but because CR was supposedly a friend she had trusted and CR betrayed her trust. Someone who had not only caused the death of a King but also someone who had knowledge of the truth of a conspiracy. All of this made things untenable for Su and So under Yo’s watchful eye, which led in part to their 2 year separation. Undoubtedly CR was a pawn in a much bigger game but she used their so-called friendship to be a spy for Uk and Won and make in-roads into the palace. 

Nevertheless, call me hard-hearted but I don't buy "she only loved" as an excuse. People got hurt and a good King went nuts, died. And as So rightly pointed out, she was used to create problems between them. That's why Su sadly... doesn't really belong in the palace. It's not a bad thing to be generous but when people are backstabbing you and have created problems between you and the man you love, you've got to draw the line somewhere.

All these complaints are why week after week I keep thinking that I must be watching a show that’s completely different to everyone else. There must be some 4th or 5th version floating out there that’s created from Vogon poetry that I haven’t yet seen.

So has always been the guy to take out the rubbish. Now that he's on the warpath, he's definitely doing what he was born to do I expect. ;) He's taking out the rubbish in his own indomitable style.

As for So’s apparently newfound ruthlessness… well, he’s always been ruthless. That’s at the core of who he is. Let’s not forget that this is the man who killed a temple full of monks for his mother. It’s part of his duality… the man needing to be loved and the man who was never afraid to do what was necessary. Not sure why that’s a contradiction. Aside from that the one thing he cared about most in the world and he was forced from every side to give her up and be the devoted husband he always wanted to be. And now he’s hopping mad… as I expected he would be.

The Hwangbos overreached and forced his hand in the matter of marriage and needing support from the powerful clans. He was backed into a corner, asked to give up Su for political expediency and he’s none too happy. She’s been largely the restraining force in his life and now that the political class is trying to put a leash around his neck again, he’s growling and snarling. Are we surprised he’s fighting back?

This is what I meant about Uk needing to be very careful about pushing So. With all his so-called smarts he still hasn’t got So figured out – So is a fighter… a different kind of beast to him. When So thought Su was his happily ever after, he was a cute trained puppy on a leash but now when things are threatening to pull them apart, the wolf will come to the fore. It’s exactly what Yo said, Wolves mate for life. It works both ways: defensively and offensively. Used as a leverage once too many times, the wolf will bite and come out swinging. The schemers forgot that and they will pay, pay, pay. One at a time.

Honestly, I don’t see anything inconsistent at all. Frankly I don't see that So needs to apologize for cleaning up when his brothers were doing all kinds of things to undermine the throne and those protecting it for their own purposes.

Judging from how she’s written Su and So, I’d venture to guess that the writer probably believes people don’t really change all that much and it doesn’t take much for them to revert back to what they know when the trigger’s right. They both have things to do and if Su can't be the comfort that So needs then I support her leaving the castle and live out the final days peacefully (although the thought of her taking off with Jeong makes me a bit queasy).

See why I don’t take sides. ;)

(Well, maybe the writer’s side)

i've been waiting for you're wisdom words  for epi 18...

thanks to brighten up my mind and really eased my pain. .

about So's furious about Wook-Soo's past romance... i truly understand... it's not about their romantic involvement but more to...it's with wook. the solely person who the master mind of almost all evil deeds.

it's the betrayal that hurts So... not the romantic stuff... it's like, multiple stabs in the back, inch by inch.

this drama it's winding road, buckle up, wait for monday to come... i like LJG's day aka monday!

• Like 13

26 minutes ago, mewtwo said:

finally Wang So got his revenge from his mother, although he's not happy about it but she deserves it, a bit extreme but still she deserves it, dying without her Jung & having Wang So on her side instead is the perfect punishment for her evilness 

She doesn't like him.. if WS can claim to kill HS's lover to have her all to himself...if this woman sacrificed him to have her husband..why is she more deserving of the punishment? And JUNG did not deserve that...not at all.. HS is right..it was extremely selfish and wrong... and frankly i doubt he was doing this for revenge as much as he really wanted to be THE SON with her towards the end..pining for her love

you know whenever we got a happy cute SooSo couples moment a disaster follow, from a political point of view I understand why he had to be this ruthless with Chae Ryung, he wanted to make her an example to the court ladies & anyone who thinks of betraying him, the image of Chae Ryung getting beaten to death will flash through their mind whenever they thought of helping anyone to betray the king, that is a strong memory they'll never forget & it will be so hard to convince 1 of them to help betray the king no matter how much money they were offered, he also was so angry because she betrayed Hae Soo & lied to her, and she also killed king Moo who saved his life 15 years ago so he thinks she deserve this, to keep the throne he need to be this ruthless so as a king that was understandable but as a human that was horrible, he's good to the people he love but ruthless to anyone that hurts them & he doesn't understand why the people he cared about get upset when he is doing that for them, he doesn't get it & I'm afraid he's going to do that to Woo Hee too if he found out that she lied to Beak Ah, but I really do hope that Hae Soo's reaction to what he have done to CR made him learn something, being ruthless to anyone who dare to hurt Beak Ah & Hae Soo can actually hurt them more 

But why did he not tell HS all of this before...and then asked her if keeping CR in palace makes sense ( When she requested him to not let CR go away)

"do you really think I would throw Hae Soo aside over a scar on her body? I...became a king with a face like this" I was waiting for him to say it, too bad he didn't marry her eventually though...what a tough place to live in :( 

So was never the problem.. Its always been HS

I'm emotionally drained because of this drama 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bluesunny3 said:

LOL!!! Only for SCARLET HEART are we praying for our heroine to DIE in order for her and our hero to have a chance at a HAPPY ENDING!

What has this show done to us!!!!

Here's to the future!  *ugly crying and hysterically laughing at the same time.*

This show changed my definetion of a happy ending. You're right... What has this drama done to me!!

• Like 10

CR's crime is unforgivable, yet, HS wants her to get a slap in the hand.  Being that she's been in Goryeo for years now, you'd think she'd have an understanding of punishment during that era.  Then she gets upset at WS for wanting to protect her from CR.  She understands EVERYONE, but usually gets upset with WS only.  Why??!!  Even BA said WS has known for a while & tried getting CR to leave the palace before she gets exposed.  HS is just being so unfair to WS.  I didn't agree with WS preventing Jung from seeing his mother, but even I understood.  It's like WS can do no wrong.  But enough of that.  The ONE thing that pissed me off the most in episode 18 was that thick-face YH got WS's signature waist grab!!! OMG...I thought I died seeing that.  The almost kiss didn't bother me as much as that.  

• Like 11

i will try to make it short

i feel drained and... bloodthirsty. please GJ kill them all 

random thoughts about episode 18:

-best scene when evil mom dies.. my heart was breaking... she hurt So until the very end... LJK acting was superb

-Festival lovers... i was crying from thinking it would end soon... but it was beautiful. I need more scenes like this

-am i supposed to feel sad because jung and evil mom combo... i only wished he would die so he could be with his mother

-finally no more CR, how can they try to make us think her a victim? her death cruel? cruel was the way she killed Mu... killing him slowly, making him crazy first, she deserved some more... and HS i just don't understand you at all

-HS supporting Jung and taking Jung side... i just don't understand you at all

-well yes i think i finally understand... you don't love WS

-some may think that Wook is the king of broken promises, but i think HS is the queen.. how many broken promises to WS.. since first make-up scene when she promised she wont change... that promise didn't last a day...

- right now i wish HS to die alone (not with Jung even if they deserve each other) but alone... i don't need a happy ending i just need blood (dont think i'm crazy i'm just mad after watching episode 18)

happy/sad about the ratings i was expecting it would be first.. but we broke 2 digits

love the new bts

PS: i was lying i really need a happy ending - SoSoo fighting!!!

\^0^/

• Like 9

I know someone has mentioned this before in this thread, but i think i have to do it again. There is a strictly rule in K-dramaland, the heroes in saeguk might have harem, concubine, but unlike C-drama's heroes who could have explicit scenes and freely giving favor for another women, there is only one true love for the K-drama's heroes (even LJG had to say it himself in his interview that WS only loved one woman until the end), they will never dare to throw a cheating scene between the hero and his wife/concubine that isn't the heroine to Korean audience's face, it will turn people off and there will be no turning back, no excuse at that point. :sweatingbullets: it will strongly affect the rating for sure. :sweatingbullets:

• Like 14

2 hours ago, runitaaa said:

I just watch int version and not SBS version, but personally the reason for So-Soo break up is just not enough tension! I mean, they already gone through all that hardship for years now, and just because of Chae Ryung (and Gwangjong ego to prevent Jung by his mother side) Soo already give up on him??? Not that I against that decision whatsoever, the poor girl need to pack up and leave the palace ASAP, it will be better if she leave Goryeo era too! Now I wish we have the pregnancy troupe and use it for So-Soo break up...

Hi runitaaa, apparently we have the same thought about their break up. Was discussing with hubby right after done with EP18 (OneTV Asia version btw) that I always adore how So-Soo manage their conflict so well maybe because So is so straight forward in his life. But to see Soo decide to ask Jung help after CR incident is just not acceptable for me. 

Gahhh to many conflict to solve within 2 episode. Somehow my inner k-drama mind was telling me not to put my hope too high on the ending. But pls PD-nim let So-Soo be happy during her last moment in Goryeo (if they decide to follow the c-version ending) 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, lyserose said:

Hi. I am glad we are on the same page with regard to the new Wang So. Same here, this is the Wang So that I have been waiting for, a smart king who could outsmart his rivals using his brain and not letting his heart clouding his judgment. Don't you agree that power is what making a man sexy? And here I can see a sexy Wang So, not full glory yet until he managed to control his cabinet but he is promisingly heading there. The thing is, one should not view Wang So all the time in romance context, instead should view him as whole, in a broader perspective. We are modern women and we all know well that love alone does not make the world go round. 

Well, maybe we are in the minority who cheer for the new So that had been presented to us for the last 2 episodes. It might seem too sudden to some viewers but given that the faulty pacing and poor time jump we have gone through for the whole 18 episodes, his new side as a King is what I had been looking forward since the beginning of this drama.

And yes, you're absolutely right, we should view him in the big picture not only as Soo's lover. He's a son of a King and Queen, he's a brother to his siblings, he's a part of the palace. He's part of Goryeo.

• Like 12