[Drama 2016] ♤ Goodbye Mr. Black 굿바이 미스터 블랙 ♤

Beycuteful

2 hours ago, HelloHailey said:

I just don't like the font of "good bye". Actually I disliked it since I saw it for the first time. This is a revenge drama. What's with that up-and-down font??

Hmmmmm... Looks to me like typeset that's been cut and pasted. Perhaps it's a reference to the "Panda" magazine. Maybe the journalism of Woo Jin and Swan will have a significant role in the story. And the whole concept of cutting and pasting could refer to Mr Black's fabrication of his alter ego that will seek revenge.

I dunno. I could be reaching here. :sweatingbullets:

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indulge please. rePosting. Liking. Anticipating. Waiting. Lee Jin Wook. Goodbye Mr. Black.

Mr. Black in his usual black and white attire aka Cha Ji Won .Navy officer who was betrayed by his friend and will devote his life to seek justice and revenge.

CdF1eYzUAAEPRLe.jpg

cr: ljw_id feed

http://www.dramabeans.com/2016/03/goodbye-mr-black-teases-revenge-and-romance/

Goodbye Mr. Black teases revenge and romance

GoodbyeMrBlack21.jpg

"I could use something dark and thrilling right about now, so I’m looking forward to the premiere of Goodbye Mr. Black next week. The new Wednesday-Thursday drama on MBC is a revenge tale about a man wronged by his best friend, and features a sweet romance that leaves our hero conflicted about his priorities. Can’t a guy be a lover and an avenger at the same time? I suppose if revenge were that easy it wouldn’t be drama-worthy.

The posters aren’t anything special conceptually, but I am excited about this cast. Lee Jin-wook (The Time I’ve Loved You) stars as a once-optimistic naval officer who ends up betrayed by his best friend Kim Kang-woo (Golden Cross), a chaebol heir of a resort group who takes the hero’s fiancée and frames him for a crime.

Moon Chae-won (Good Doctor) is a woman he meets in Thailand, and though they get off to a rocky start when he accuses her of being a pickpocket, she quickly develops a crush on the man who seems to always show up when she’s in trouble. In the first teaser, she worries that he’ll get hurt by her side, but he says he won’t let her go at it alone and takes her by the hand. Lee Jin-wook: “Even if I’m late, I’ll be there. You can wait, right?”

In the second teaser, Moon Chae-won says that if they’re living in hiding, they’ll need to change their names: “You’re Black, and I’m Swan.” But separation looms for the couple, because Lee Jin-wook keeps saying things like, “Remember my face. No matter where you are, I’ll come find you.” In the end, he hugs her and says, “I miss you a lot.”

The premise tells us that she’ll become a part of his new identity as his fake wife Kim Swan, when he returns to Korea to begin his revenge on Kim Kang-woo. They’re pretty adorable already in the teasers, which bodes well for the love side of the equation. As for the revenge, I don’t think there’s any worry about Lee Jin-wook and Kim Kang-woo bringing out the big guns for their bromance gone wrong.

Song Jae-rim co-stars as the editor of an internet news site, and Yoo In-young plays Kim Kang-woo’s wife and Lee Jin-wook’s first love. Goodbye Mr. Black premieres next Wednesday, March 16."

credit to dramabeans 

Ah.... seems like Swan gave him the nickname Mr. Black. Is that because he's wearing a lot of black in hiding? Lol

Also does she say at the end of the last teaser, "Sorry I was very late, wasn't I?" or something along the lines of that. Can someone confirm please?

3 hours ago, HelloHailey said:

I just don't like the font of "good bye"

I am late to the party but does anyone know why the 'good-bye' looks the way it does? I think it's interesting and there may be a reason why they chose to do it this way. If you scrutinize the letters. there's some extra details to the 'o's and 'd' especially the 'o's. I just can't figure what they are. But when you step back and look at them, the word 'good-bye' resemble those letter puzzles which are separate and put together to give a clue. The word 'Black' also looks like pieces cut and paste together. 

Can someone solve the mystery? or am i reading too much into it? But I guess that's part of the fun. 

I have no complains about the posters, I mean it could be much worse. Like Black facing off Sun Jae with a gun or Sun Jae stabbing Ji Won with a knife. Anyway, is it me or is hot villain Sun Jae's the only one who's not looking straight in any poster? So man has no qualms shooting his best friend in the eye but can't look straight? Or maybe that's his best angle, huh? I can't disagree, that jawline makes a statement. 

@Jillia it's okay don't worry about it. :) I think us fans just have high expectations because we want it to turn out good and the posters and teasers are what will attract the public to watch it. 
There was one drama where the posters were really bad but the drama turned out really good. I can't think of it from the top of my head right now. Thanks for the translation too. :) I wonder what she was saying she was late for. 

As for angsty moments, I'm ready for it after all it's a melo right? But hopefully more lighthearted moments between our leads. Again, I was just listening to a song and thought I would love them to be like the song King and Lionheart by of monsters and men. I just like creating music videos in my head with songs and dramas I like lol. :D

Hello everyone! Glad to read old familiar names as well as new ones!!! Nice to meet you :)

Let me join in the minority squad and say that I don't mind the posters at all. If anything, I feel they are steering the drama back into the main premise, which is revenge. Not loving the ones with the face close ups, but the one with all main characters feels more at home with the dark mood of what Black may be feeling, in my opinion. 

I have to admit that at the beginning I got a bit confused with the teasers and as @HelloHailey and @mrdimples have pointed out, the choice of font confused me even further. 

I don't mind if they choose to go to the chirpy, cute romance route, but I just wish they pick one main theme/tone and stay with it at least for marketing. 

Otherwise, excited for the drama, for Ms. Moon's comeback to the small screen, and for the chemistry between the leads. :-) 

Maybe spoiler alert:

In the original comic book, which I have read, Swan is the daughter of the really bad guy (although never acknowledged by him), For whatever reason it was never really emphasized.

I do not know how the author of "Missing You" , who tends to portray bad guys in a sympathetic way, will portray that little-known fact.

The original comic book also ends with the main character and Swan raising the daughter of the couple who betrayed them (do not ask why). In this adaptation I do not see a child in the relationship chart but it might pop up later.

Thank you @Jilliaand @evergreendears! Feels like the old times doesn't it? ;)

I agree about the teasers, the font and the music! They felt very rushed; but I guess they had to go with the material they had until that point (Thailand scenes) which may not have been able to convey the tone of the whole series. 

For the teasers and typeface, I had envisioned something along the lines of a Nine meets The Talented Mr. Ripley meets the (yes) Count of Monte Cristo haha.

By the way -  I would not mind seeing Mr. Black go to an even darker place than Edmond Dantes himself, where he has to fight with the light and love and butterflies inside of falling in love with Swan and his ruthless and implacable thirst for vengeance. Maybe they are already going for this, but I want to see lots of doubt and even a sad ending. Hehe. I'm bad. 

Bye bye for now. And thank you for creating this thread, and sharing all the goodies and translations! You guys rock. :wub:

Goodbye Mr. Black--- Fighting!!!! 

@koshicha, wait so let me process this, Swan is the daughter of the main villain in the series? How did she end up found near the trash then?

I was really tempted to ask why they end up raising someone else's daughter but for the sake of spoilers I won't haha :D

I guess I'm the only one who likes the graphic of the words. "Good-bye" has the appearance of a threatening letter that is uses cut up magazine letters and words to spell out the communication. No handwriting involved that could give away the perpetrator. It's actually a little sinister. And the Korean word for Black, like @Jillia said, cut apart and put back together. To me it conveys the internal struggle of the character. His life was cut to pieces, his revenge pastes it back together. 

“GOODBYE MR. BLACK” OFFICIAL POSTERS

mrblackposters

http://couch-kimchi.com/2016/03/10/goodbye-mr-black-official-posters/

'Goodbye Mr. Black' drops dramatic posters of Lee Jin Wook, Moon Chae Won, Song Jae Rim, and more

By alim17   

moon-chae-won-lee-jin-wook-song-jae-rim-

Upcoming MBC drama 'Goodbye Mr. Black' has released amazing posters ahead of the premiere featuring the leads Moon Chae Won, Lee Jin Wook, Kim Kang Woo,Song Jae Rim, and Yoo In Young on March 10!  In six days, the very first episode will air, and these posters give you a good sense of the vibe for the drama.

The five of them gather as their individual characters, bringing the personas to life with just their gaze, attire, and overall vibe.  The drama centers on revenge and heartache, so if you like melos, better check this out on March 16!

http://www.allkpop.com/article/2016/03/goodbye-mr-black-drops-dramatic-posters-of-lee-jin-wook-moon-chae-won-song-jae-rim-and-more

Posted on March 10, 2016 by ockoala

sadas

The drama posters for upcoming MBC revenge thriller drama Goodbye Mr. Black just dropped and is mostly dull and uninspired but for one sterling winner. The group poster above is a dead ringer for the types of movie posters in the Twilight movie series! I’m just waiting for sunlight induced sparkles around Lee Jin Wook to turn his Mr. Black into the Asian Edward. It’s pretty cute actually because the visual similarity is so immediate and the two projects are so different no one will be yelping about co-opting concepts.

The font for the English words Good Bye continue to bother me, I’m not a font Nazi but certain ones just look off and this is one of those instances because it reminds me of robot captcha boxes. Aside from the foresty group poster above, which is missing also missing a werewolf to complete the tableau, the rest of the drama posters are typical intense faces against black backgrounds K-drama styling. Other than Moon Chae Won who has such a round warm face, the general impression it gives off is that there will be lots and lots of cheekbones in this drama. 

http://koalasplayground.com/2016/03/10/drama-posters-for-goodbye-mr-black-are-all-dark-with-one-twilight-throwback/#more-73504

“Goodbye Mr. Black” Releases Captivating Posters Featuring Lee Jin Wook, Moon Chae Won, and More

http://www.soompi.com/2016/03/10/goodbye-mr-black-releases-captivating-posters-featuring-lee-jin-wook-moon-chae-won-and-more/

4 hours ago, Ginaaaa said:

I guess I'm the only one who likes the graphic of the words. "Good-bye" has the appearance of a threatening letter that is uses cut up magazine letters and words to spell out the communication. No handwriting involved that could give away the perpetrator. It's actually a little sinister. And the Korean word for Black, like @Jillia said, cut apart and put back together. To me it conveys the internal struggle of the character. His life was cut to pieces, his revenge pastes it back together. 

Great observations, @Ginaaaa. Thank you....!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Crew of 'Goodbye Mr. Black' strengthen their teamwork during 'good luck ritual'

moon-chae-won-lee-jin-wook-song-jae-rim_

Pictures from the 'good luck ritual' that the crew of 'Goodbye Mr. Black' all attended in Thailand back in January were revealed on March 10, and it was said that the ritual site was full of positive energy and continuos laughter!

During the ritual, Producer Han Hee was said to have relayed, "I hope that everyone will be safe and that the set will be filled with happiness. Let's all try our best together.

Lee Jin Wook, who plays the main lead in the drama, said energetically, "Let's all film with a positive mindset until the very end," while Kim Kang Woo said, "I'll try my best to bring a good drama." Yoo In Young related, "I'm so glad that we're all in this together. I hope that the set will be fun." 

Song Jae Rim told the crew, "I hope that we will be filled with positive energy so that we could all laugh together." Moon Chae Won, who was the last to relay her thoughts, relayed, "I hope that we will be left with good memories even when the drama ends."

source

7 hours ago, Ginaaaa said:

"Good-bye" has the appearance of a threatening letter that is uses cut up magazine letters and words to spell out the communication. No handwriting involved that could give away the perpetrator. It's actually a little sinister. And the Korean word for Black, like @Jillia said, cut apart and put back together. To me it conveys the internal struggle of the character. 

Yes, yes, that's what I had in mind but I just couldn't put it together like you did. Styling of the poster aside, I think I can safely say that the typeface and design of the title weren't chosen without thought or haphazardly put together. 

7 hours ago, Ginaaaa said:

His life was cut to pieces, his revenge pastes it back together. 

The question is "Does it?" I am sure the drama will address the good old moral dilemma - is revenge worth it? Needless to say, Swan will be a large part of the equation. Revenge has been the main plot or subplots of many dramas but they vary from outright dumb to wonderfully intelligent. 

I think I must be looking forward to this drama more than I anticipated. Last night I was actually cheering over NMHE :P , nothing against it. I just want GBM to start, I need a midweek drama fix. I have been watching CBM and trying to do the same for Dots. With GBM coming into the scene, there's something different for everyone. CBM is not simply a comedy, it is quite heavy on family/relationships and has an element of mystery too. I do think it could do better than its current ratings and while I am not totally on board with it, I hope it is not a zero sum game between CBM and GBM(gosh, these acronyms!). I'm probably the worst person to give an opinion on Dots. To me, it's like a mash of MVs, Gone With The Wind type of old school romance, a comedy, parody, National Geographic... But the ratings have gone off the cliff and set ground shattering records so I have difficulty imagining the same people switching to GBM in an instant. 

I do not know which actor in this cast has a guaranteed drama following but I am here for the story and acting. If these come out strong from the start, I hope the 'missing' viewers will tune in to give this drama a rating it deserves. 

With such a sterling cast to look forward to my only real concern is the writing. This is where it almost always falls down for me. I know that it's customary to promote the actors heavily because they're the face of the drama but if the writing derails midstream, it won't matter how good the cast is. (Think Mask or Cheese) Sometimes I can't help feeling that there's too much reliance on actors to prop up a broken superstructure or a rotting corpse. My hope is that there won't be the temptation to fanservice just for the sake of it. How many shows have been wrecked because of egregious fan servicing?

Take Signal for instance. A show where the balance is just right. The well-crafted plot is ably supported by the acting and excellent production values. Everything that happens is there for storytelling purposes and it contributes to the overall themes presented.

I'm not expecting Count of Monte Cristo type greatness although I think the show could do it. It's the sort of thing K dramas excel in when they do excel. Clearly it will be the underdog drama but that's no excuse for them doing things half-baked.

The shallow side of me of course is just ridiculously happy to bask in the masculine glow of LJU and KKW facing off for 20 eps. I'm hoping that this will be my new cracktastic drama of 2016.

2 hours ago, mrdimples said:

I do not know which actor in this cast has a guaranteed drama following but I am here for the story and acting. If these come out strong from the start, I hope the 'missing' viewers will tune in to give this drama a rating it deserves. 

Agree with the above. I'm here more for the story and writing and acting and quality of drama will give us the viewers!   As I've mentioned previously, even with a different cast, I'd still watch this cos CoMC adaptation from Manhwa w/c also based from the classic book.

I just noticed though. LJW did Three Musketeers w/c is a classic Alexander Dumas book... and now he's doing GMB which is also loosely based from classic CoMC.  So this will be his 2nd Dumas  kinda drama.

Wednesday come sooner. Goodbye Mr. Black. I've been waiting!

18 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

With such a sterling cast to look forward my only real concern is the writing. This is where it almost always falls down for me

I'm not expecting Count of Monte Cristo type greatness although I think the show could do it. It's the sort of thing K dramas excel in when they do excel. Clearly it will be the underdog drama but that's no excuse for them doing things half-baked.

And I agree. The writing, acting, directing... these 3 has to be of high quality. Oh and I would like good editing of drama and cinematography.. because it always adds up to the over all production. Oh wait.. plus good music. Ha ha. I like the story of GMB and been waiting  and anticipating this since last year so I'm gonna be here!  Waiting for press conf. pics :D 

Ha ha jongski is hyper. It's not Monday yet.

Archived