Guest ororomunroe

i pray so hard right now. wish phj decline CITT movie project and move on to another new project. The great project. whether korean drama or chinese drama, as long as not stick to CITT, i will fully happy for his decision. But if he take the role in CITT movie, i still support him. but only half happiness. 

And according to Sina news, Movie team only talked to PHJ and soonki.

http://ent.sina.cn/film/foreign/2016-03-28/detail-ifxqswxn6484654.d.html?wm=3049_0015

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My question is why? If this is just a remake (which I am guessing it may be seeing that only PHJ is being asked to join), what will be the point? I wasn't satisfied with some things in the drama, but personally a movie, especially so soon, doesn't appeal to me. On top of that, with all the internal issues that happened and is still being talked about and then possibly not having the entire original cast back...it's a bit uncomfortable and odd. Even having it with a new cast (with or without PHJ) - with the things I mentioned before and the timing, why now?

If this is meant for the fans who didn't like the ending or other parts of the drama...don't know how that makes me feel to be honest.

I am still hoping for an anime version *crosses fingers*

Without KGE I seriously dont want any CITT movie or anything else:( And I have a feeling that PHJ will not accept the role if he knows KGE will not be in the movie.Should we do petition? We want our lovely JungSeol couple with PHJ and KGE.Not with another actress 

14 hours ago, gangurhar said:

BIG NEWS Friends.

Cheese In The Trap reportedly will be made into a movie with Park Hae Jin as male lead http://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=421&aid=0001965767 

When I saw news of this I legit laughed wondering if I read correctly...

I think the only way I see this working logically is if it's a continuation of where the drama left off...which I don't see happening if the original writer is going to pen the script since the last 2 episodes of the drama were a hot mess...unless the ending that the writer did envision was actually similar to what the drama went with.

In an ideal world, the movie would leave off where the drama ended, show Jung and Seol meeting and then flashback to the last three years to show what they were both doing...but then I don't see how they can have that much significant content in the flashbacks to show for a 2 hour movie because it would just show them apart again...IDK. I'm conflicted. 

They should just film a special episode or two to wrap up that wretched ending and give us closure rather than a movie. 

1 hour ago, seoll said:

Without KGE I seriously dont want any CITT movie or anything else:( And I have a feeling that PHJ will not accept the role if he knows KGE will not be in the movie.Should we do petition? We want our lovely JungSeol couple with PHJ and KGE.Not with another actress 

100% Agree

My cup of tea for the movie version;

- I want the original cast from the drama in the movie as a consolation from my unsatisfaction from the drama ending. I dont care if Baek siblings are not there. PHJ is perfect as YJ, KGE as HS, bora, eun taek.

- I want them to tight the loose end with YJ HS. How will YJ change to be a better person with HS. My main concern here is this couple ending. Not bitter ending

- If the movie doesn't conclude the whole drama, well, it shouldnt be done at all. If the movie succeed, maybe i will watch the two last episode (i've downloaded them but never bother to watch them, only read recap n watch streaming when it was aired). An example for favourite series: Hana Yori Dango (season 1 lead to Season 2 and finally the movie conclude them all).

- I say no to remake in the movie!! No need to summarize whatever we have spent time watching. 

- They need to consider fans opinion. I'm not saying they have to follow fans storyline, but satisfaction. 

-I'm still following the webtoon eventhough i dont understand Hangul. I just want to know how the actual ending n i miss YJ. 

#hopefully DOTS ending will not suffer as it did to CITT. At 1st, i'm disapointed with Reply 1988 ending due to DS chosed CT but as I rewatched from beginning, i understand and accepted the ending. Never have I dissapointed with ending as much as CITT (only for addicted dramas, of course! ). Do Manager, i meant My love from another star remain as my all time favourite.

13 hours ago, misquoted said:

@brielover I read your post in the CITT forums and thought it was an interesting take on what drama Jung would have been doing in those three years away (creating/drawing the webtoon from the other's perspective as a form of therapy) and how he'd be sending a link of the webtoon to Seol. Actually that would've been a better ending for the drama, a direct tie up to the webtoon itself.

You read that?  I actually posted on dramabeans about it too before the ending even came out.  I'll recap for Soompi, though with all this news it's unlikely to get read.

How Cheese in the Trap was (Maybe) Supposed to End:  I watched the drama first, and on its hiatus mid-series, spent some time reading the webtoon to get more insight into Jung.   His childhood flashbacks, the relationship with the Baeks, why he was so mean to Sul and then started pursuing her - I was left with more questions if anything. 

I even did some research on Jung wondering if he was a psychopath. He definitely had some of the traits: low empathy and not much remorse if any. But that's what they were, only traits not full-blown psychopathy.  From the flashbacks, you can see he was likely born with relatively low empathy to begin with but instead of being taught to use it or enhance it, he was taught to fake it.  The mask not the meaning.  

If you read some of the latest studies on empathy, a breakthrough like the one Jung experiences (the latest webtoon chapter season 4 chapter 29)  can mean the start of switching on empathy for those deficient in it. Apparently it usually starts with someone close or similar. It had once started for Jung with Inha and particularly Inho but they are far too different.  Firecrackers to Seol's warm sunshine in Jung's darkened lonely world - explosive but temporary light.  That shut down when Jung realizes he can't trust them.  But notice the emphasis in the drama and the webtoon that Jung starts changing towards Seol when he starts to believe she is similar to him.  This is a key to opening up empathy.  It was important that Jung start seeing Seol as similar to himself, setting the groundwork for putting himself in her shoes and feeling for her., even if he later comes to see how different they are.  By that time, it's too late, he's already empathizing and already in love. That opening up to Seol, as we see from the following year, leads to Jung experiencing almost a full range of emotions, but only primarily with Seol and secondarily with Inho. 

If he's going to really raise the bar, he has to extend that from her to the rest of the people in his life, including people he hates, and by the end of the drama that's what he had begun to do. Still a long way from normal but he can see what he's lacking. 

The exercises to extend his empathy at that point - if he was in therapy and consciously trying to change, - are imagination exercises. Take a look on the web under "how to increase empathy" if you want to find out more about it.  Jung has to write down basically a history and story for the close person in his life from her point of view, regardless of whether he is present during an event, and try to imagine how she felt, and particularly how she felt about him, and then do the same with other people he knows well, and then extend this imaginative empathy to people he doesn't like. Seol-Inho-our villains - the exact people the drama and the webtoon concentrated on.

If he was any good at drawing and story-telling (which we've been given hints he might be), I imagine the result might look very like this webtoon. laugh.gif 

That's the work I myself imagine he was doing for those three years he was away in the drama. And sometimes I wonder if that's where the drama was originally heading when we remember his coloring book and stencils and Inho telling him he could draw better than Inha. Also why he actually seems to empathize with Inha when Inho attacks her drawing (an anomalous scene) and even extends that empathy to piano boy, reacts in some ways to Inho telling him he doesn't have a dream, and moreover that hint we get when Jung tells Inho he had imagined something different about Inho's life when Inho was away - as if he was expecting Inho to have a freedom-filled, adventurous life but not a criminal one.  There's a definite hint of an imagination in Jung, but only in a cut-off sentence, "I had imagined..." and a bitter, disappointed expression following it.  We also get Jung's interest in insects and small worlds, and those imaginary photographs he takes, imprinting memories, like the one he takes of Seol.  Taken together, these are the traits of many incipient writers and artists. They were all anomalies in the drama, more emphasized than in the webtoon, inciting interest but not tied together in any way.  I always take notice of anomalies, because they frequently add up to something and in this case, they seemed to add up to a potential artist and story-teller, who himself did not even realize that potential.

It's also why we would get so little POV from Jung - the imagination exercises to increase empathy are not primarily to explore his own feelings from the time but to imagine the events, memories, feelings of others.

Anyway, it's possible the drama ending, before it was changed, was him sending Seol a link to a webtoon, a copy of Soonki's, demonstrating his love for Seol (if not particularly flattering her, but then again he treasured that awful photo of her), his hard work and his successful therapy. Boy is nothing if not diligent. I mean, what a testament to his love for her, his intelligence and his devotion to improving himself in order to be worthy of her!  And then the transition into flashback scenes - possibly from the webtoon but perhaps from the drama - as Seol starts reading. 

Guessing, of course, but it's a well-founded guess.  I truly expected before the ending that we would see Jung go off somewhere to work on an inner transformation through art of some kind, possibly even writing the webtoon as Soonki's alter-ego, so that the drama came full circle to the webtoon.

I still believe the major defects in the drama were the result of having to change the ending, three shooting scripts before the end.  I think the writers, editors and director panicked when they realized the ending the drama was building towards was a no-go for legal reasons.  I believe they were always going to make Inho a love interest, but that they started including extended scenes with him when they realized all the back scenes with Jung would go for naught if they couldn't keep their ending.  Basically, they couldn't think up a better or different ending to the one I've outlined above, which was too close to Soonki's, and they had no legal right to an ending she hadn't sold them as part of the package.

Or something like that :)

22 minutes ago, brielover said:

I still believe the major defects in the drama were the result of having to change the ending, three shooting scripts before the end.  I think the writers, editors and director panicked when they realized the ending the drama was building towards was a no-go for legal reasons.  I believe they were always going to make Inho a love interest, but that they started including extended scenes with him when they realized all the back scenes with Jung would go for naught if they couldn't keep their ending.  Basically, they couldn't think up a better or different ending to the one I've outlined above, which was too close to Soonki's, and they had no legal right to an ending she hadn't sold them as part of the package.

Or something like that :)

Interesting. So you think that the deviation to Inho at the first half of the drama was because they were preparing him to be love interest aka endgame..? 

I do think they couldn't think of a better ending that's why they copied Soonkki's. It was not "time" that obstruct them to find a better ending, but laziness. They pre-produced the first half and finished filming around a month prior to the end of the webtoon. They had plenty of time to think of the ending, actually. But they lazily chose to use Soonkki's ending (which she warned not to) and was forced to change it when she went ballistic (They contacted her again when they were filming/preparing for ep 14..so of course, they couldn't think of a better one). So that's what we got.

[They cut her off at ep 6 then contacted her again around ep 14 also got me thinking that the deviation to Inho Cantabile and all that was thoroughly planned from the beginning of the drama, for whatever reasons. The first 6 eps followed webtoon rather faithfully..and after that, it started to go downhill. Though, yes, they still had plenty of scenes that were indeed taken from webtoon, but there were too much imbalance in the plot/story/screentime which were too skewed to Inho (yes, he had many parts at the webtoon during S3-S4, but in drama you can't use that as a justification. "Male lead" and "second lead" lines are clear for any drama, even an adaptation one. You couldn't focus several episodes on secondary character on the reason that "he appeared many times too at the webtoon".). Thus, by contacting her at ep 14, means they were done with the horrendous deviation and that they believed Soonkki wouldn't be able to do anything to change anything by that time. Soonkki could only be angry over the unfinished things aka finale/ending and asked them to change. But even after that, they cut off the contact again with her lmao].

From one of the news that talked about CITT (it was posted here way before), PHJ was not given the finale's scripts until almost the last minutes while the other casts got theirs. He was shocked about the ending too lmao. Then after the drama ends, CJ said that the ending we saw was the revised version. That it was supposed to end at Seol and Jung crossed way at the pedestrian, which was the last scene PHJ filmed. That they filmed the several revisions with other casts but not bothered to call PHJ back. It did get me thinking...what other endings they could've written? Seol and Jung ended at the crosswalk, but there might be another story of Seol that they filmed...with Inho? *thinkingthinking* Email ending (+that ep 11 flashback) was probably the best they could come up with without having to call the actor back (seriously they could've called him back)...did they do that to appease the raging viewers cuz they might have had several different endings (which involved Inho and Seol)? *thinkingthinking*

I hate quoting allkpop but they're the only one releasing the article..so 

'Cheese In The Trap' production director addresses rumors that Seo Kang Jun received a casting offer for the movie

Previously, it was reported that a movie version of webtoon 'Cheese In The Trap' was in the works. 

Production director Lee Dong Ho has since stepped up to make an official statement regarding the various rumors and news surrounding the movie, including various reports saying that Seo Kang Jun, who appeared in the drama version as Baek In Ho, had also received a casting offer. 

On March 28, director Lee Dong Ho stated, "Currently, we are in the process of talking with the webtoon author Soon Ggi about a movie. It is also true that we have contacted Park Hae Jin about the current possibility of the film. But other than the author and Park Hae Jin, we've yet to contact any of the previous production's actors. Media reports claiming that we've contacted Seo Kang Jun is false. As of now, the author holds the key to whether or not the movie will proceed. Please refrain from any speculations regarding the casting of the movie until further notice." 

In addition, the webtoon's original author Soon Ggi is also reported to have given a brief statment regarding the movie through the media site that publishes her webtoon, saying, "Nothing has been set in stone regarding a movie." 

Stay tuned for more updates on 'Cheese In The Trap' the movie! 

http://www.allkpop.com/article/2016/03/cheese-in-the-trap-production-director-addresses-rumors-that-seo-kang-jun-received-a-casting-offer-for-the-movie

============================================

His casting is not true. geez mediaplays

6 hours ago, luvcrabbieshinhwa said:

Interesting. So you think that the deviation to Inho at the first half of the drama was because they were preparing him to be love interest aka endgame..? 

I do think they couldn't think of a better ending that's why they copied Soonkki's. It was not "time" that obstruct them to find a better ending, but laziness. They pre-produced the first half and finished filming around a month prior to the end of the webtoon. They had plenty of time to think of the ending, actually. But they lazily chose to use Soonkki's ending (which she warned not to) and was forced to change it when she went ballistic (They contacted her again when they were filming/preparing for ep 14..so of course, they couldn't think of a better one). So that's what we got.

[They cut her off at ep 6 then contacted her again around ep 14 also got me thinking that the deviation to Inho Cantabile and all that was thoroughly planned from the beginning of the drama, for whatever reasons. The first 6 eps followed webtoon rather faithfully..and after that, it started to go downhill. Though, yes, they still had plenty of scenes that were indeed taken from webtoon, but there were too much imbalance in the plot/story/screentime which were too skewed to Inho (yes, he had many parts at the webtoon during S3-S4, but in drama you can't use that as a justification. "Male lead" and "second lead" lines are clear for any drama, even an adaptation one. You couldn't focus several episodes on secondary character on the reason that "he appeared many times too at the webtoon".). Thus, by contacting her at ep 14, means they were done with the horrendous deviation and that they believed Soonkki wouldn't be able to do anything to change anything by that time. Soonkki could only be angry over the unfinished things aka finale/ending and asked them to change. But even after that, they cut off the contact again with her lmao].

From one of the news that talked about CITT (it was posted here way before), PHJ was not given the finale's scripts until almost the last minutes while the other casts got theirs. He was shocked about the ending too lmao. Then after the drama ends, CJ said that the ending we saw was the revised version. That it was supposed to end at Seol and Jung crossed way at the pedestrian, which was the last scene PHJ filmed. That they filmed the several revisions with other casts but not bothered to call PHJ back. It did get me thinking...what other endings they could've written? Seol and Jung ended at the crosswalk, but there might be another story of Seol that they filmed...with Inho? *thinkingthinking* Email ending (+that ep 11 flashback) was probably the best they could come up with without having to call the actor back (seriously they could've called him back)...did they do that to appease the raging viewers cuz they might have had several different endings (which involved Inho and Seol)? *thinkingthinking*

I completely agree with you about the "laziness" of not finding a (sufficiently) different ending from Soonki's.  While she might have disagreed with them about their interpretation (and they therefore stopped showing her the scripts?) for the rest of the adaptation,  it was the ending where she would have a legal standing to sue them.  She didn't sell them her ending.  That's her creative property, and it falls under creative property law.  She could prove she had shown it to them but not sold it to them. I imagine the legal teams went into intense discussions about whether they could continue or not with what they originally scripted, after she saw the ending (prior to shooting episode 14), and they came to the conclusion they couldn't without opening themselves up to an un-winnable law suit.

But I don't want to rehash the whole controversy here.  What I imagined happened at that point is that the writers and editors had to go into creative overdrive, trying to keep as much as they could, tweaking prior scenes, and re-scripting the ones not yet shot.

Moreover, if my suspicions are correct about the original ending, changing it changed everything, not just because of Jung writing the webtoon, but because the entire story we just saw in the drama is Kaiser Sose'ed.  It's all told from Jung's point of view and a lot of it is invented.  Based on real events, and info he gleaned from characters in the story, but other events and inner thoughts he would just have to have predicted (something he's really good at), invented or imagined as he sculpts this story and exercise in empathy. 

I think Jung's role as a "ghost" writer is also emphasized in the drama, particularly in scenes where it seems to Young Gon that it is In Ha on the phone but it's actually Jung - and the voice changes to Jung's when Young Gon realizes it - and then we see Young Gon punching at the air, as if at a ghost behind the scenes, behind the screen, manipulating him.  

That scene almost breaks the frame of the production we're watching, and behind that frame - isn't this shadowed by Jung in the promotional photos leaning on a frame with Seol inside it? - is Jung.

So if you buy into the whole thing possibly being written by Jung, you have to review the whole drama as if it is Jung telling us the story, outside the frame of it, trying to both cognitively and affectively empathize with the characters over those two years.

The drama gave us a somewhat different Jung-as-story-teller than the webtoon would have, and the events that are filtered to us from him are therefore different as well.   

We get a more sympathetic Inho for one, and a less sympathetic Inha.  For me, in hindsight seen through this filter, the drama wanted to emphasize Jung's brotherly bond with Inho but made Inha into a crazy caricature because she had almost killed Seol, so even as a therapeutic exercise, Jung can't forgive her or empathize with her. I truly believe that could be why the actress was directed to be so over the top and almost two-dimensional, and only at the end, and in the one flashback, do we get even a rudimentary struggle on Jung's part to emotionally empathize with her.  

Korean dramas tend to include love triangles, so let's say this is still from Jung's perspective.  We've got a nicer Inho, and he's therefore more of a romantic threat.  What Jung DOES know is that Inho confessed his liking for Seol to Jung.  But Jung couldn't know Inho confessed to Seol herself.  I suspect that whole confession scene from Inho to Seol is Jung's fears and jealousy transposed into an imaginary scene.

I'll leave y'all to imagine the drama from this perspective if you want, but just want to address the ending for a moment.

So much would have to be re-written but they would have had to use a lot of the existing writing because it would be too time-intensive not to.  One scene that may have been left out of the final script is when Jung visits Inha in the mental institution.  He knows of the director there, so it would have been an ideal time for him to receive some psychological advice about increasing his empathy through imaginative story-telling.

The ending would have to be almost entirely from Jung's imagination because he isn't there, and no one he knows is reporting to him.  From the time his flight leaves, almost nothing would have a basis in reality.

So he's gone for three years and coming to the end of his creative and therapeutic exercise.  He's forgiven Inho and Inha and given them a happy ending, surrounded by tropical plants, dancing and Inho playing the piano.  Was that scene surreal to you guys too?  It was to me.  Unless it was from Jung's imagination.

Now he's at a place where he has to decide whether he's really ready to contact Seol again.  Is he better?  He knows she's still thinking about him because he's got all those unopened emails, but he also knows she must be coming to the end of her patience.  

I don't think those last scenes of Seol could have been imagined by anybody but Jung.  He imagines her doing well at her company, already promoted, but still beset by the same kinds of people as before (because they aren't real).  He imagines it as more boring than it likely is, because he himself is leading a creative life.  Seol is stronger now though in one respect. She's learned from Jung not to get overly upset by her co-workers so her emotions are not getting the best of her any more.  The one real positive he could imagine having given her.

But for everything else, it's all Jung's fears.  Seol is becoming bitter about him, she's losing interest in him. She still checks to see if he's read her emails but it's almost mechanical now.  Bora and Eun Taek (another imagined happy ending) want to set her up on a blind date (something she refuses but it's only a matter of time, he imagines).  Jae Woo has just told her that Inho is going to university, and therefore Inho is becoming a realistic romantic threat, because it is in the academic arena he was never her equal.  

It's time for Jung to step back into the frame.  And that's exactly what he imagines doing in the crosswalk scene.  He's not ignoring her, he is registering his presence with her.  He imagines her looking after him as if she has seen a ghost - shades of Young Gon punching at the air.

Moreover, let's take a look at the last scene with Seol in front of her computer.  What are the last words of the drama.  Something like, "Seol, it's time for a meal".  This scene too is imagined.  Think back to Inha's voice switching to Jung's over Young Gon's cellphone, and we realize that it was all Jung all the time.  In this case, Jung imagines talking to Seol with his trademark words in the voice of her mother.  He registered his presence, now he's announcing it.

An email is sent, Seol opens it (remember that the actress doesn't have to change anything here from what we saw on screen, just sit in front of a computer), maybe there's a brief greeting or explanation and the webtoon loads, accompanied by that great music as Seol starts to read.

This got waaay too long.  But I just wanted to show you how it could have played out, and how I like to think it played out, and how good an ending it might have been from a story AND a psychological AND a romantic point of view.  Making us want to re-watch the whole thing to see where the clues spring up. Jung working hard, struggling to show Seol and himself he can empathize with her and other characters, that he is able to love her properly now, and that her own hard work to understand and accept him was not in vain.

Cheers.

And luvcrabbieshinwa, I can't thank you enough for your recent translations.  I'm eating them up!

Ahh Cheese in the Trap drama and how it ended...tis one of my favorite things to discuss with fellow cheese watchers I know. I swear this drama is the gift that keeps on giving. In my humble but most likely completely unpopular opinion, the disastrous ending of Cheese was the fault/responsibility/blame/whatever you want to call it, of the production team and Soonkii.

Having watched the full drama 3 times now, and having watched over 9 years of too many dramas; I believe that the ending of the drama we got was not the ending that the production team had planned to give us. I am of similar mind of @brielover. While I do believe that the drama did intend to have the love triangle, I do not think they planned nor intended for Inho to become the central figure he became. Watching the first half of the drama Jung and Seol were the central figures. Up until episode 8 we were seeing a lot of the duality of Jung's character and we were slowly but surely being given insight and exploration into him. I think of Jung and Seol's conversation in her bedroom which gave a lot of insight into Jung's feelings of being infer in someways when compared to Inho. It gave insight into his relationship with his father, to his upbringing, and to his feelings of being someone others do not find easy to love or get close with. I also think of episode 7 where for the first time, we get a peek into Jung reflecting on his actions and questioning if he's strange or if others are. Even in episode 8, we get a bit more insight into Jung and who he is/was and how he ticks with people with him "pushover" confession and then with him telling Seol that he likes her family. All throughout the first half of the drama, were always shown/given more about Jung little by little. Whether watching him color, cut out butterflies, sigh and think "this is how it should be" after scheming something, buying drinks for someone who has given him a favor, and then reacting to a photo of Inho; we were given small doses into Jung that I truly believed were going to lead to bigger things.

For me it was so clear we were going to get more a we went along, and then at some point towards the end, we would have the big one that displays real shift and change in Jung. After that one big moment we would see some new dynamic in Jung and we would see shifts and changes in Jung and Seol. IMHO that moment came at the end of episode 12 when Jung finally opened up to Seol. From there on out, Jung should have been different in how he dealt with things. How he communicated with Seol, etc etc. I truly believe that was coming (we got a taste of it in the cafe scene, and the unaired giving Seol the notes in the car scene we saw in the preview) however Soonkki and the ending that was not allowed to be took place. As most of us know, PHJ did film the scene where he is the one to save Seol from San Chul and not Inho. If you have read the webtoon you know that after Jung saves Seol, he doesn't scheme against San Chul. Jung and Seol growth and further Jung understanding takes place. Alas we now also know that, that filmed scene was scraped and re-filmed with Inho being the one who saves Seol, then comes the confession and hug, and the Jung scheming and what we got. IMHO that was never the original planned plot of intentions of the PD team.I believe once Soonkii made it known that she felt their ending was too close to what she has yet to write for the webtoon and that she would really like for the team to change and make different; they did just that. This meant that all the development and growth and exploration, and changes we were going to see in Jung post ep 12, had to be scraped and something new put in. This is why PHJ was confused as to why things he had filmed and knew should be aired wasn't being aired. It's why SKJ had to re-film things, and it's also most likely why he and KGE were filming days post PHJ completing his. I also believe that maybe why PHJ knows he did one thing but then was seeing another thing and also why he didn't know what was the what. 

I believe what was the original intentions of the production team could no longer be, once Soonkii was like "nah, ya'll gonna have to change all of that. no it can't be that" the drama team had to change and scrap any real growth of Jung because we haven't really gotten there yet in the webtoon and Soonkii probably has it planned to come (I think the drama finished filming before s4 chaps 26-29 right?). So I agree with @brielover that the drama had a lot more planned for Jung then they weren't allowed to do it, the they inserted Inho, and we all know how everything goes down. I don't know what kind of deal Soonkii signed with the production team, but i don't think they were legally bind to communicate with her through out the drama production. Obviously they were't allowed to plagiarize her material, hence changing the ending as asked (and yes, I think they did change the ending) but I don't know why she thought she needed to have some say in the drama process. I know the original work is hers and it's nice and just the decent thing to do to keep her in the loop (also the drama was looking might nice, eps 1-6, when she was in the loop) however unless she had a signed contract as a consultant, writer, or something of the sort, they really didn't have to let her in on the know. I mean homegirl did sign away copy rights to them meaning she gave them the freedom and rights to do the drama how they want. Unless she did like Rowling or Green and sign a contract that makes her a consultant or screen writer or something (what it seems like she is trying to do now with this talks of a movie), I really wished she would have just let the drama do what it was going to do.

It seems to me like she signed away the rights and then wanted more say than she originally signed on to have. Yes the original is hers. But again she signed away the rights. The drama and webtoon were two separate things. She as all the rights in the world to do whatever she wants with the webtoon, however unless she had some kind of legal binding agreement to have more involvement in the drama and or was a consulting script writer (which I don't think she wanted because in the beginning of the whole process she kept making it clear she wanted people to not ask her about the drama because she didn't know. Her work and focus was her webtoon) she shouldn't really get a say. I consideration (which I believe they went with) but not a say. I know I sound harsh or critical but here is how I see it. I buy someone a birthday gift and give it to them. That person can wear the gift, throw it out, resell it, whatever with it, and while I may get mad or hurt, I can't really richard simmons them out about it because once I gave them the gift, it became theirs to do with it whatever they want. It doesn't matter how much money I spent n the gift how much time in line, how long I looked for it etc, etc. Once it became theirs, they are free to do what they want and all I can do is watch and learn and next time not repeat the same mistake of giving someone unworthy a valuable gift (which I think she's now doing with the potential movie). I have no right (imho) to go tell the person what to do with the gift or how to use or no use it. 

I blame the production team because of their lack of communication. Someone obviously did not communicate with PHJ and his camp on what was the what. All he saw was material he worked hard to bring to life being scrapped left and right and not getting any call back or reasons as to why when inquire about. I blame them for their lack of careful planning and creativity because man if they knew Soonki legally had a say in the ending, they should have got said ending to her earlier. If they had done this, when she did say no, they still would have had time to come up with a new ending that still stuck with theirs and differed from hers and she approved of. If there was no legal reason why they had to listen to her "yay" or "nay", why he heck did they even consult her on the ending? They should have just filmed their ending and gotten sued or whatever. I am selfish and I wanted a good finish to the drama. Soonki is creative, she could have come up with something different, nah I kid. Why didn't they work with her to write an ending she approved of and one that still fit the drama. Lords knows the set up of the first half feels like it was headed one way, them BOOM, nope! I don't understand how CJ E&M screwed up on this one. They make excellent dramas and movies all the time. The great gift of Cheese in the Trap is baffling and very entertaining. Everyone involved from the actors to the netziens to us here at soompi and myself pissed me off, made me rage, laugh, entertain me, made me feel sorry for them, made me question them and their motives, and now with a possible movie, it will never end LOL. Tis truly the gift that keeps on giving. 

1 hour ago, MrsSoJiSub said:

Ahh Cheese in the Trap drama and how it ended...tis one of my favorite things to discuss with fellow cheese watchers I know. I swear this drama is the gift that keeps on giving. In my humble but most likely completely unpopular opinion, the disastrous ending of Cheese was the fault/responsibility/blame/whatever you want to call it, of the production team and Soonkii.

Snipped for reasons of space.

@MrsSoJiSub Can I say I almost fully agree with you (I'm a lurker but I almost always agree with your posts whether I say it or not) about the trajectory of the drama?  I would be interested in hearing your further thoughts on the post I just put up as well, to go together with the one I posted about Jung and empathy.  But no pressure!  I realize it's long and just a hypothetical!

I am just going to debate one point in your post that I otherwise absolutely agree with.  It is true that Soonki handed over her webtoon and the producers had the right to adapt it however they wanted.  I remember when I first heard about some kind of dispute I didn't pay much attention because in the theatre world, writer-producer conflicts such as this are almost a cliche.  But she didn't hand over her ending and nor do I think she handed over her completed Sang Chul storyline because it wasn't finished yet.  That is her creative property, not yet published, and if they used something too similar to either incident without her consent, then they could be, and would be from the sounds of it, sued.  Moreover, she actually showed them her original ending as she thought she would write it.  So they couldn't claim ignorance.  This is a clear abrogation of creative property rights.  Soonki could have sued them for every bit of profit from the drama, and they would have found that out right quickly from their legal team as soon as she protested.

So I don't think we can blame Soonki for sticking up for her rights.  They needed to honour their original agreement with her.  Once their legal team got back to the writers and producers, they must have been absolutely scrambling to rewrite future scripts and re-edit scenes already shot. Someone screwed up big time, but I don't think it was Soonki.  Just by the fact that obvious changes were made tells us that Soonki would win a law suit.

But I see near the end of your post that you think the same.  And I have to agree with you again. I'm glad Soonki stuck up for her rights but at the same time, Cheese had so much potential, and it was the viewers such as you and me that suffered no matter whose fault it was.

19 hours ago, dchick91 said:

My question is why? If this is just a remake (which I am guessing it may be seeing that only PHJ is being asked to join), what will be the point? I wasn't satisfied with some things in the drama, but personally a movie, especially so soon, doesn't appeal to me. On top of that, with all the internal issues that happened and is still being talked about and then possibly not having the entire original cast back...it's a bit uncomfortable and odd. Even having it with a new cast (with or without PHJ) - with the things I mentioned before and the timing, why now?

If this is meant for the fans who didn't like the ending or other parts of the drama...don't know how that makes me feel to be honest.

I am still hoping for an anime version *crosses fingers*

HAHAHA! Why indeed. If this really is the case, then what is the point really? What will be of the drama then? The movie, if it does happen, should be a separate entity on its own. Although I think most of you will agree that no one can ever replace PHJ as Jung (yet.. yet because its just too soon). And yes, I think an animated movie sounds more appealing right now.

9 hours ago, brielover said:

You read that?  I actually posted on dramabeans about it too before the ending even came out.  I'll recap for Soompi, though with all this news it's unlikely to get read.

Yes I did! I saw your username and remembered the post you made. I wondered why you haven't talked here about it and thought its worth a mention. Reading your insight was an absolute delight and I'm so glad you decided to share it here as well! 

8 hours ago, luvcrabbieshinhwa said:

I personally have always wondered what ending had they created that was very similar to Soonki's.  Was it having Seol and In Ho the end game? Was that Soonki's intention? Is that why she made some comment along the lines that "it had been enlighten" after seeing all the public reaction to PHJ and his character? Did the PD change a possible In Ho/Seol ending because of possible backlash from the already furious viewers or to appease the writer?  After the first 6 1/2 episodes, most of the relationship building was between In Ho and Seol--she gave In Ho too much attention, more than she gave her boyfriend. Her feeling obligated to help In Ho because he helped her was ridiculous considering that he broke her laptop. I never understood what she owed him for (finding her cell phone and making her buy him dinner to get it back?) that she had to cling to him and defy her boyfriend's feelings. When she didn't reject him and felt uncomfortable being around him, it made me wonder why. It made me wonder why she was so dazed by his hug and confession that she couldn't remember which direction she needed to go on the street. Made me wonder why she didn't try to call Jung back after that hug. 

If the writer was going down a path of switching love lines, I hope she sees that the public isn't a fan of that scenario. 

I love your ghost writer theory thingy, @brielover it's very interesting... Whatever happened behind the scene with production team, Soonkki, and PHJ..and what actually Soonkki signed up for, we can only guess haha. and thank you for liking my translation...it really motivates me to improve my comprehension T_T

it seems to me like she signed away the rights and then wanted more say than she originally signed on to have. 

@MrsSoJiSub I agree with everything you said but this.. I don't think she wanted more say than she originally signed up for. She made it clear from the beginning that she wanted drama to have different ending from her webtoon one. Iirc she also said she'd prefer the drama to have the different feels and didn't have to copy the whole arc (like Minsoo, Younggon, stolen notes, etc). But drama production didn't comply, to the point they used her ending. I do think she wanted the scripts to oversee what's going on, not to have more say, but more like..she wants to make sure that tvn also keeps their side of agreement. But they rejected her, citing confidential reason. Then after she posted her piece of mind, tvn cited they only 'forgot' to contact her. That's shady on tvn part, not Soonkki. 

I wonder the same things with you, too @lclarakl what really happening and what causes the deviation. If they really had no intention of switching the leads, why put too much attention to secondary characters for several episodes? The fiasco broke out just before finale and suddenly in ep 15 we saw so much Jung again so it really had me thinking"is it like a big richard simmons to PHJ and viewers?" like.. "you want Jung? HERE, I FRIGGIN PUT HIS FACE ALL OVER THE EPISODE" kinda thing. That's what I felt, at least. But they couldn't do anything more to the ending and all to appease the viewers [regardless what kind of ending they originally intended to have, be it Soonkki's or Inho as the end-game]...so that's what we got. 

30 minutes ago, lclarakl said:

I personally have always wondered what ending had they created that was very similar to Soonki's.  Was it having Seol and In Ho the end game? Was that Soonki's intention? Is that why she made some comment along the lines that "it had been enlighten" after seeing all the public reaction to PHJ and his character? Did the PD change a possible In Ho/Seol ending because of possible backlash from the already furious viewers or to appease the writer?  After the first 6 1/2 episodes, most of the relationship building was between In Ho and Seol. When she didn't reject him and felt uncomfortable being around him, it made me wonder why. It made me wonder why she was so dazed by his hug and confession that she couldn't remember which direction she needed to go on the street. Made me wonder why she didn't try to call Jung back after that hug. 

If the writer was going down a path of switching love lines, I hope she sees that the public isn't a fan of that scenario. 

I don't see Inho as end game at all in the webtoon so I doubt very much either Soonki or the drama writers had original endings that featured him together with Seol.  He's a foil for Jung and a friend for Seol, with an interesting storyline all his own.  In the drama, his character was much nicer and he was definitely pushed as a romantic threat to Jung, but I never saw Seol respond to him, and I would dismiss her reaction to the hug as anything but confusion and alarm at losing him as a friend, because she sincerely cares about him, just not romantically the way she does Jung.  People read too much into that hug, I think.  It came out of left field for Seol, as it would for many of us who have male friends we are very close to.  In the webtoon, after she realizes he might like her, she actually thinks about a whole lot of scenarios and even goes on the internet for advice about what to do.  I still remember one person answering her "Die" (presumably from someone who does not have two boys interested in her), but there was all kinds of opposing advice for her, which I see reflected in the comments on Cheese forums.  Bottom line is Seol in the drama does the most mature, caring thing to my mind, by drawing the line firmly but not cutting off someone who cares about her.  She wants the two of them to go back to normal as much as Inho does.

I suppose it's possible that the drama writers considered Inho end game when they realized they had to change their ending, but I don't really see how, unless after the "three years later" he showed up with flowers and his high school diploma and Seol suddenly realizes she's been in love with him all along. Really don't think that would fly, so no, I don't think Inho was ever seriously considered in any revision as end-game.

9 hours ago, MrsSoJiSub said:

As most of us know, PHJ did film the scene where he is the one to save Seol from San Chul and not Inho. If you have read the webtoon you know that after Jung saves Seol, he doesn't scheme against San Chul. Jung and Seol growth and further Jung understanding takes place. Alas we now also know that, that filmed scene was scraped and re-filmed with Inho being the one who saves Seol, then comes the confession and hug, and the Jung scheming and what we got.

@MrsSoJiSub  I must have completely missed this earlier - didn't hear that PHJ filmed that scene. Was this mentioned in some interview he did? Not keeping my hopes up for a Director's cut DVD, but I do wonder if they would reveal such alternative version scenes in the PHJ DVD (speaking of which, no news about delivery yet...)

All this talk about drama team being "forced" to change their ending at the last minute is making me curious how Soonkki plans to end the webtoon. She mentioned ending at around 50 chapters in Season 4, but we all know she tends to underestimate how many chapters she's going to actually do LOL.

More webtoon vs drama comparisons:

Don't know if someone has posted this but I really loved this fan made... My jungseol feels :tears:

cr. to owner

It's been almost a month since Cheese in the trap ended but I can't move on, I've been watching another dramas but It's not the same, I really loved CITT and it could have been my favorite drama from 2016 but :(... I have mixed feelings about the movie I want them to reprise their role but at the same time I want them to run away from CITT specially PHJ... 

Has anyone read today's chapter? really cute chapter and it was the start of Jung catchphrase "Seol-a, Do you want to have lunch together?":wub:

Archived