[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

I am curious about homosexual character,  possibility is Taek.

but, what about if he's Sun Woo?

i think about his facial expression and I laugh so hard think this possibility.

but, in character profile says Sun Woo had crush on someone already 3 years, that mean its happen where his dad passed away, right?

I have to admit that I briefly considered this very early on - when the first hints of a close potential bromance type thing between Sun Woo and JungHwan started to be shown (since there was that kind of easy friendship with YoonJe and JoonHee in 97) but I don't think it really fits with what we've seen from SW in the latest episodes - he's clearly using any excuse to be visiting that half-basement and not upstairs, and I can't easily explain that unless he wants to see one of the Sung girls (unless a "crack theory" about NoEul being a total NOPE about girls due to his sisters that I read here earlier from @vain comes to pass lol). . .and as many have said here, I'm seeing it more towards Bora than Duksun. . .but it's early. . .and anything is possible.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest csw909203

I am curious about homosexual character,  possibility is Taek.

but, what about if he's Sun Woo?

i think about his facial expression and I laugh so hard think this possibility.

but, in character profile says Sun Woo had crush on someone already 3 years, that mean its happen where his dad passed away, right?

@sweetypumpkin - That's a potentially good point if Dad's passing and Sun Woo's crush started at the same time…the girl he liked likely played a big role in comforting him during that tough time. Can't help myself here but I think that it would make more sense if that girl was Bora given the fact that she can be encouraging and that "older sister/noona" figure like we saw when Deok Sun/Bora's grandma passed away. 

Also, as a random note, during that study session (I'm pretty hung up on this scene haha), is it just me or does it seem like we're deliberately kept in the dark about who Sun-woo is smiling at? Like we're led to believe that its Deok Sun but really it could have been anyone else at the table. 

Anyeong chingus.  I just caught up with ep 4, watching with subs.  I think I am beginning to get drawn into this drama. I am guessing that for the next episode Bora will get into trouble politically and Sun Woo ends up getting involved because he likes her.  Sun Woo and Bora's family friendship is going to be tested as Sun Woo's mother won't be able to curb her worries about Sun Woo getting into trouble.  Sun Woo is her only son and being a widow and all, I am sure she is more than protective over him and would probably fall out with Bora's mom over the issue.  This drama will be more interesting than its predecessor if it can pull off such heart rending drama.  I am looking forward to it.  

I think people just ship who their favourite actor is not caring much about the storyline.  I am actually quite neutral about the guys and I cannot understand why we cannot watch it without much ado about the shipping.  As it is now, we are sure that Jung Hwan likes Deok Sun and Deok Sun likes Sun Woo.  Why can't we just go with what the drama without shipping and let the writer tells the story.  I think the writer said that they won't play guess the husband for this series but yet it seems like people still want to play the game.  I cannot see Taek or the other friend in the running as now because there is nothing in the story that tells me that now.  Maybe the writer is going to change but I trust what whatever it is, the writer will make the characters consistent and plot believable like all the previous Reply dramas.  Thank you for hearing me out.  

agree with you chingu, why all of us can't just watch the drama without shipping anyone ?(include me ?)..

confused-onion-head-emoticon.gif?1292862

i think maybe because of their chemistry

While watching Reply 1988 I was wondering why JH was called Jeong Pal by his friends at times? Is there a meaning for it or is it just a nickname between them? Do the other OT5 have nicknames too?

Well, correct me if I'm wrong but, when you divide the characters 정팔 (jeongpal) into 정(fourth) 팔(arm) you get: "fourth arm" which could also be translated as "dog" = JH's nickname.

Btw, I don't believe Taek is in the running since they already revealed his family name as "Choi" and tbh his relationship with DS doesn't really give me the "love/crush vibe". I believe the real contender will be SW since they had not yet revealed his family name which sooner or later we'll find out is "Kim" as well...Next, we'll find out the hubby's is also Kim. And that's it, they'll drag with it until the very last episode, however with the developing of the story we'll already know by then that he is no one else but Kim Jung Hwan.

Orrrrrrrrrr.. I might be completely wrong and they'll eventually reveal SW's family name as "Kang" LOL

*Assumptions*

I think people just ship who their favourite actor is not caring much about the storyline.  I am actually quite neutral about the guys and I cannot understand why we cannot watch it without much ado about the shipping.  As it is now, we are sure that Jung Hwan likes Deok Sun and Deok Sun likes Sun Woo.  Why can't we just go with what the drama without shipping and let the writer tells the story.  I think the writer said that they won't play guess the husband for this series but yet it seems like people still want to play the game.  I cannot see Taek or the other friend in the running as now because there is nothing in the story that tells me that now.  Maybe the writer is going to change but I trust what whatever it is, the writer will make the characters consistent and plot believable like all the previous Reply dramas.  Thank you for hearing me out.  

I'm with you on this buddy. I'm not against shipping in any way shape or form. In fact, I'm a little guilty at this if anything. Like I have mentioned in my previous post, the chemistry they build around the leads isn't strong enough to make me going cray cray over. I don't really blame them since what they aim at isn't romance but portray the living of people back in 1988, at least for now. Of course, the show would be so dry if there wasn't any romance, so throwing little intimacy here and there is the must. But I have to to give it to the PD, so far they've been keeping the romance very neutral if not so little yet successfully getting our interest remained for the show. Haha hell..actually, now we're all curiously drawn into this relationship mess. m1305.gif

I have a really silly question, I think I was lost along the way but did DS grow interest for SW because of the misinterpretation her friends have given about him having something for her, or she already liked him even before that?

@sweetypumpkin - That's a potentially good point if Dad's passing and Sun Woo's crush started at the same time…the girl he liked likely played a big role in comforting him during that tough time. Can't help myself here but I think that it would make more sense if that girl was Bora given the fact that she can be encouraging and that "older sister/noona" figure like we saw when Deok Sun/Bora's grandma passed away.

Oh dear... your insightful thought here, I love how you look at all the events so thoroughly. t2021.gif Now I kinda wanna know if Bora is really SW's secret crush. LOL

I have a really silly question, I think I was lost along the way but did DS grow interest for SW because of the misinterpretation her friends have given about him having something for her, or she already liked him even before that?

@giaonguyen 

DS started to like him after that Maggie cheung and Joey Wang chinggus planted the idea of SW crushing on her inside her head  :sweatingbullets:, she never felt anything for SW before that event. 

Also, as a random note, during that study session (I'm pretty hung up on this scene haha), is it just me or does it seem like we're deliberately kept in the dark about who Sun-woo is smiling at? Like we're led to believe that its Deok Sun but really it could have been anyone else at the table. 

@umtann92

Before the study session with Bora and the kids, there was this scene where Seon-woo asked his mom, Omma, it starts today right? (referring to the tutor group) and he had this beaming smile on his face. It just doesn't make sense he would be that excited if it's Deok-sun or Taek(? haha) or anyone else really.

**ETA:

Is this also from that photo shoot? I think they look compatible and I kinda ship them already

web_3745437795_ad0e9599_IMG_0327.png

Actually Reply 1988 production team said they will bring back the husband hunt for R88. Even though they said they weren't at first. That's why people are playing along with the husband hunt, and also maybe it's becoming a tradition lol.

'Reply 1988' to bring back the 'huband-hunting' plot

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

s3.jpg

s4.jpg

s5.jpg

Sports Chosun - Naver: 'R88' to air its first episode today, 4 candidates in the husband hunt

1. [+5,719, -98] They always do this in every single installment. Why not help me find a husband instead?

2. [+3,863, -623] I'm nervous of this drama because of Hyeri. They're doing too much media play

3. [+2,559, -98] The first guy above is probably the husband. He's unfamiliar but Jung Woo prior to 'Reply' wasn't that of a big name either

4. [+1,611, -307] None of them stands out...

5. [+444, -24] Tired of the husband plot.  Can we please get Lee Ilhwa to divorce, we'd be glad to find him a new husband

6. [+346, -21] She ends up with Go Kyung Pyo while Park Bo Gum is the the one-sided love. Is this the writer's trademark?

7. [+333, -17] Either Go Kyung Pyo or Park Bo Gum

8. [+177, -8] What do we get in return if we guessed it right?

s33.jpg

Xports News - Naver: 'Reply' Shin Wonho PD "Husband-finding plot will be present in this instalment'

1. [+4,869, -318] Do they really have to bring it back? ㅠㅠ

2. [+3,483, -74] Please find me a husband too

3. [3,386, -99] Heol.. It's fun but I admit that I'm tired of the whole husband mystery thing ㅠㅠ'Reply '94' dragged the hell out of it which was annoying. They said this installment will focus more on family than the husband plot...

4. [+2,997, -117] Oh my gosh, we have to hunt for the husband again

5. [+1,698, -57] There's a strong possibility that the husband is Samcheonpo's son. There's one who's a student leader and one is an 'umchinah' character. One of them is the husband

source: kkuljaem 

Btw, I don't believe Taek is in the running since they already revealed his family name as "Choi" and tbh his relationship with DS doesn't really give me the "love/crush vibe". I believe the real contender will be SW since they had not yet revealed his family name which sooner or later we'll find out is "Kim" as well...Next, we'll find out the hubby's is also Kim. And that's it, they'll drag with it until the very last episode, however with the developing of the story we'll already know by then that he is no one else but Kim Jung Hwan.

Orrrrrrrrrr.. I might be completely wrong and they'll eventually reveal SW's family name as "Kang" LOL

*Assumptions*

We don't know the husband's name right? We know the actor playing the husband's name but not the character of the husband. For all we know dude is called Doc Martin. Sunwoo is a contender so long as Duk Seon likes him (better yet, she thinks he likes her so she's decided to like him back). How things play out on that depends on if Bora returns Sunwoo's feelings or not (if or when the supposed crush is revealed). If rejected, he may take some interest on finding out on who his candy leaving secret admirer is. 

On the husband front I think viewers tend to make it more complicated (and thus a frustrating "trolling") experience than it truly is. The Reply series are pretty simple slice of life stories (despite the media play the writers and such do to attract viewers which is their job so..) that are easy to decipher and follow the formula of most kdramas/rom-com and drama/rom-com in general. It's fun to read theories and make guesses on colors and terrifying dolls and such, but when you get too into the small details you can miss out on the full whole canvas of story (stories) playing out. I find it more enjoyable to watch the writing and characters unfold and just pull me into wherever they are headed. We are only 4 eps in. I trust that whatever happens the writers will do it In a way that makes sense and remains true to the story and its characters. 

I've watched ep 3 repeatedly to try and learn the dance (minus the gymnastic cartwheels and flips) and it's not easy at all. I bet the boys had a tough time of getting steps and such in sync with one another. I wonder how many takes it took to film that scene. Also do they really hit each other for real during the fights? The Hyeri and Ryu are gonna loose hair and turn black and blue if that's the case. Also I feel for 3 guys for heads (especially Ryu's back scratcher smack) and Dong Ryung that gets such a beating from his dad. 

Dok Seon's girlfriends are awesome. I just now notice that when the boys walk into the snack shop, they are quick to stop with the dancing, primp, and play it cool. I found it cute and brought back memories of my friends and I trying to look cute/cool/unaffected by the presence of boys back in middle school. Also it's pretty awesome of them to volunteer to save up or have their parents buy Duk Seon her desired Walkman prize when they f-ed up her chances with their boycraze wall jumping (that was one hell of a drop). 

I'm very curious of what will happen if Bora doesn't reciprocate SW's feelings and she likes someone else later on ( maybe someome who's also in the group, like Dong-Ryeong)? Will they make SW fall for DS? Or will he stick to that one person throughout the series. So many questions when we're only at ep4 :P 

This triangle trio looks good too.

web_1982099905_b614563f_Moldiv_144791643

To think that today is Thursday and we still have another day before the episode airs AND not to forget 3 more days before Beaver's subs going to come out.....:blink:

tumblr_nxyoiwJVfS1untowto1_400.gif

Yep, that is true. But I think that does not mean her liking him is fake. That can go a long way. It is actually proven in social psychology that people will like you more if they feel you like them back, or they will start to like you if you express you liking them. You just start seeing the person in a different light. IT was very much the case with the two other Replys as well.

As for the husband hunt, I know!!! I really did not want to go there after Reply 1994 but it is still there and has kinda become a habit. That said, I am trying to restrain myself because

(1) I remember how ugly it turned out for Reply 1994, especially here. The main Reply thread was closed. So I truly want everybody to feel confortable here! I already know that some DS/SW shippers are feeling unconfortable... Please don't run away to the shipper thread and do come here too! and

(2) despite the husband hunt game, the writers have put more emphasis on the other characters which I am really thankful for. I find the drama even more touching and beautiful.

And OH MY GOD! That video is so cute! So funny at the end how she does the whole sketch :wub: Cute, cute, cute!

Ahhh, I really thought/hoped that Bogummie would have the girl this time. :wub: but I guess it's fine, I kinda like DS with all of them. So I kinda don't have any expectations anymore who it is that she married. :lol:

I just enjoy watching this series, lmao cause it's so funny. Esp. Kim Jung Hwan's father. LOL. I think it's even more hilarious because he was sam chun po in reply 1994. :w00t:

Guest beastrbae

Omg.. I'm jealous of Unni, now she just needs to do a final photoshoot with Dong Ryung. Kyung Pyo and Bogummie :wub: Sunwoo's hair is doing injustice to his good looks I tell you.. Hopefully their fashion improves with time. I think Hyeri isn't doing photoshoot with any of the hubby contenders not only because she's super busy but also it might spark more speculation among the viewers on who the husband is. Almost 24 hours before live viewing, can't wait for the bonding session between the men in the Kim household!

1. [+5,719, -98] They always do this in every single installment. Why not help me find a husband instead?

8. [+177, -8] What do we get in return if we guessed it right?

2. [+3,483, -74] Please find me a husband too

HAHAHAHA my stomach XD the commenters are funnehhhhhh

yoyo20.gifyoyo20.gif

Archived