[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not about response, Hyeri is really busy. She's still in a group too as well as being the main in a drama and having to work hard at that. Her agency already said she's just focusing on the drama/group.  Photoshoots aren't really necessary for her to do right now.  People already know who she is.  I'm sure she'll do some when the time is right. 

I don't think this was posted.  I was watching episode 0 and saw this.  I think these are the ones in Taek's room in the basket before.  

2015_11_18_1.jpg

I guess everyone can figure out who is who.   Doll Junghwan is spot on isn't he... :P

I don't think this was posted.  I was watching episode 0 and saw this.  I think these are the ones in Taek's room in the basket before.  

2015_11_18_1.jpg

I guess everyone can figure out who is who.   Doll Junghwan is spot on isn't he... :P

Yeah it is suspected in the color theory that Junghwan is green, Taek red and Deoksun yellow. But who knows how accurate it is. We can just wait and see and I think who the main people in the loveline will be, it might be evident in more episodes to come.

I think I need to write my thoughts here as everyone seem to forget one important aspect in answer me series. 

"the same-sex crush/love"

everyone try to say Taek will be a contender in the husband race but don't realize that Taek will be happy when Junghwan talked to him or help him taking food bcs he cant use his chopstick properly? In episode 2, when the 4 of them were drunk, dont you realize that Taek tangled his hand with Junghwan and looked so happy? 

I'm rushing to catch up in this thread and am still a few pages behind so sorry if this has been discussed further in the past few pages. . .but   SO. . . MUCH. . . THIS.

Now, I do have a tendency to watch shows through two major lenses: 1) what real people do or 2)thematic parallels/patterns in the story. . .(which means I have a tendency to read too much into simple behaviors sometimes because these aren't people living their lives and at the end of the day the script/story is the deciding factor) but for some reason, I keep going back to '97 to a certain extent when watching this series. Correct me if I'm wrong - but I'm vaguely remembering something like '88 was the show (or at least the era) they first wanted to go with. . . but '97 is what came about instead?

So here's the basic situation we had in the setup of '97

1) ShiWon is our main gal and she totally has eyes for oppa TaeWoong (which one could possibly argue if it's real love or puppy love at first)

2) YoonJe falls for ShiWon but stays silent; ShiWon only has eyes for TaeWoong and is oblivious to YoonJe's feelings - even though he's right in front of her.

3) JoonHee totally has eyes for YoonJe but stays silent (except for confiding in ShiWon). YoonJe is oblivious to JoonHee's feelings - even though he's right in front of him.

In '88 we have:

1) DukSun is our main gal and she totally has eyes for SunWoo (which one could argue is not "real love" but only in focus because of the comments of her friends. . . and in this case it seems that SunWoo is totally into Bora [I agree with the speculation going on there] . . not seeing the right in front of him).

2) JungHwan falls for DukSun but stays silent. DukSun only has eyes for SunWho and is oblivious to JungHwan's feelings. . .even though he's right in front of her

3) ???   - after episode 4, I was totally struck by the "We need someone to fall for JungHwan that JungHwan is totally oblivious to - even though _____ is right in front of him. . . 

JoonHee was a character that largely kept his own council in the beginning (from what I can remember, it's been awhile) and only confided in ShiWon. . .now Taek is just quiet all around, so it's much harder to get a read on him and what's going on inside that head. BUT as @durrahkhairuddin pointed out all that above. . . I also noticed that when it came time for "Make Taek feel better" who was the first to arrive and thus the first that Taek reacted to? JungHwan. Who is the first one to curse and encourage Taek to join in? JungHwan. Who pulls Taek up to dance? SunWoo and JungHwan? They kind of separate into two groups to dance - what group is Taek dancing with? DongRyong and JungHwan. . ... that's a lot of JungHwan. . . .

For some reason, I keep being drawn to this idea that to make the whole "one-sided love" and sometimes not seeing what's right in front of you kind of story we need #3, we need someone into JungHwan that JungHwan doesn't notice (like YoonJe didn't notice JoonHee). . .and hey. .. a champion baduk player would totally be the type to drive a red sports car . . . . right?

As a side note, after the whole '94 thing - I totally knew that Chilbongie wouldn't be the husband. . .but gah did I suffer with that poor boy- and with Binggeure's story being cut short and dropped on us last minute (random appearance of DieDie and then cut to future THEY'RE MARRIED) in service of the main "Who's the husband?" story - I swore that I would not engage in the whole guessing game this time around, or get invested in endgame. . .but aish. . .here I am again. . . rooting JungHwan all the way. . . seriously. . .the bus scene did it for me. . . I'm done. . . unless things get all twisty. . . in terms of overall character investment however, Taek is totally breaking my heart. .and yeah, that speaks volumes for PGB as an actor since as many have pointed out here - there aren't many lines/words spoken so far from Taek but :tears:

When asked if Bora -- Ryoo Hye-yeong’s character in the drama -- gets to fall in love with someone as well, the starlet said she doesn’t have a clue.

“Jae-hong -- another cast of the drama -- asked the chief director for romance between Bora and Jeong-bong,” said Ryoo, burst out laughter.

cr: http://kpopherald.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=201511181707242756217_2

BoRa-JungBong ? :D

Bora who with will be pair? Even a very complicated subject in this drama. :huh:

Since there are so many JH-DS shippers in here I thought I would translate a short fanfic I just saw on DC lol I hope my translation doesn't ruin it lol This was harder to translate than it would seem..

The original fanfic: http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=reply1988&no=54204&page=1

Let's pretend that DS knows JH's feelings and she is just playing hard to get, OK?
After playing with Ja-hyeon and Man-Ok (her girlfriends) after school, DS happily went by the alley while eating ice cream. JH came out of a corner; his heart secretly made a jump seeing her there. But she pretends as nothing happened and starts talking.
Jeong-Pal where did you go?
Why would you need to know?
Hey, can't I even ask? I'm not even curious.

JH tries to hide the feeling that he wanted to protect DS who was out late until night.
If an ugly person goes out at night people will get scared. People like you have to go out in the sunlight so people can see you 100m in advance and avoid you.
Hearing this DS gets angry.
Since DS knows that JH is suspicious of SW's feelings for DS she takes advantage of it.
What? Jeong-Pal, I went out with SW you know?
With SW?

Yeah, with SW. Why?
JH frowns, his dignity hitting the bottom. He waited for DS the whole day and when he saw her coming from his window he hastily ran outside to see her face but since she was with SW the whole day...
Forget it..
Expecting that he would nag more the now sulky JH seems weird to DS.                       You idiot, why are you like this? Do you hate me now? Saying Hey, why are you like that~?  DS steps into his way lookig him into his face and hits him with her arms.
JH hardens and angrily thinks is she playing with me?
What the heck are you (doing)?
What did you say?

DS frowns upon suddenly serious JH. She freezes and her facial expression fades.
You look down on me, right? Since I'm not being serious all the time.
DS becomes slightly uneasy seeing JH hurt and speaking like that.
Hey.. Kim Jeong-Hwan why are you like this.. You know I was joking anyways..
But I wasn't.
What?
I said I wasn't joking with you so don't joke around with me.
What's your problem?

Ha.. What am I supposed to do now again..!
Then suddelny, JH's heaten feelings take over, he rumples his hair once, throws his nike bag onto the floor, bends forward and locks lips with DS.
DS can't do anything and stands there shocked; JH's hands just hang in the air behind her back, not knowing what to do.

Guest durrahkhairuddin

Since there are so many JH-DS shippers in here I thought I would translate a short fanfic I just saw on DC lol I hope my translation doesn't ruin it lol This was harder to translate than it would seem..

The original fanfic: http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=reply1988&no=54204&page=1

Hidden Content

OMG THIS IS CUTE. 
I DONT KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF JUNGHWAN IS NOT THE HUSBAND. 

We have another mistery since Reply 1997, the owner of the red car.Maybe Taek is related to red colour after all.Who knows...:w00t: 

The thing with the color red seems interesting but I doubt that Taek is gay... I think if the rolemodel for the role really was Lee Chan-ho then Taek will possibly end up with Jin-Joo because of the age difference. That is if the love line really is as predictable as it seems right now (JH-DS).

Guest neonmoon

Ohhh didn’t cross my mind until it was mentioned here that it might be the other way around for Taek to be in between Jung-hwan & Deok-sun’s loveline. And that he happens to harbor romantic feelings for Jung-hwan? Yes, that’s possible yet tragic at the same time. My poor Taekie heart can’t take it.

Well, we’ve seen this kind of loveline with Joon-hee & Yoon-jae and then Binggeurae had this confused attraction/admiration for Trash. The show tried to tease us in 1994 when the sneaky red car passed by Binggeurae but they didn’t go all out with that and he ended up with Diedie. It’s a resolution to Binggeurae’s character which I actually welcomed.But this is one of the themes I hope that writer will totally break this time because I personally think it’s getting old as a conflict. I’d rather see Taek chasing after Deok-sun too and who knows he might be the husband game changer.

LOL, the team likes to troll us with those Motnani dolls - definitely got me more curious for which colors are meant for each character. I initially thought Sun-woo's the red doll. =O)

Guest beastrbae

It's not about response, Hyeri is really busy. She's still in a group too as well as being the main in a drama and having to work hard at that. Her agency already said she's just focusing on the drama/group.  Photoshoots aren't really necessary for her to do right now.  People already know who she is.  I'm sure she'll do some when the time is right. 

2015_11_18_1.jpg

From the expression of the dolls itself, it looks to me like the Red one is JH lol with the grumpy face and all. And Taek for the green one for his solemn expression most of the time. But of course we have concluded that Green is JH and Red is Taek or SW right? No doubt yellow is Deoksun hehe. Like some of you said, I also prefer Deoksun among the female leads in the past installments. Deoksun is more mild, has a sweeter personality and is so happy-go-lucky. Hard not to love her too, major props to Hyeri. She and RJY plays their respective characters with a lot of sincerity.

Omgah that fanfic! I can actually picture it at the back of my head happening in their yard. Junghwan was probably waiting there with the excuse of feeding his dog or something. Good doggie, don't disturb the moment please.

The thing with the color red seems interesting but I doubt that Taek is gay... I think if the rolemodel for the role really was Lee Chan-ho then Taek will possibly end up with Jin-Joo because of the age difference. That is if the love line really is as predictable as it seems right now (JH-DS).

. . .and I totally concede that my whole "we need someone to be interested in JungHwan that JungHwan doesn't notice and Taek is like literally one of the few main characters left that could maybe fit that" idea that I mentioned above is totally a spur of the moment observation and likely influenced by my semi sleep deprived mind at 5 in the morning. ..and that this early in the series the probability that I'm coming so far from left field and totally wrong is incredibly high. . . .lol. . . but it seemed like an interesting idea at the time.

. . . I've also totally wanted a bit more closure on Joon-Hee's story ever since he got into that dang car. . . and that could be driving this too (no pun intended, I swear) lol.

Ohhh didn’t cross my mind until it was mentioned here that it might be the other way around for Taek to be in between Jung-hwan & Deok-sun’s loveline. And that he happens to harbor romantic feelings for Jung-hwan? Yes, that’s possible yet tragic at the same time. My poor Taekie heart can’t take it.

Yep, that's kind of where I was going with the idea too - it's similar to the '97 story, but with a slightly different twist. Joon-Hee was never a "threat" to the Shi-Won and Yoon-Je story because that was so not the dynamic of those characters. Yoon-Je treasured him as a friend yes, but never anything more (and Shi-Won even set them up on a "date" before she realized her own interest in Yoon-Je/his interest in her lol).  Now, even in my state of sleep deprivation, I didn't think that by the random chance that the '88 story went this way that JungHwan (Gah, I'm totally confusing myself going back and forth with the JHs!!!) would actually be conflicted if Taek showed interest in him and JungHwan eventually notices, but I think it would an interesting "twist" on the story to an extent - every single one in the group "takes care" of Taek in their own ways. . . so how would they handle it if "taking care of Taek" conflicts with "taking care of themselves" . . .but I also did just finish watching Sassy Go Go, so I could totally be mingling story ideas in my head too. .. lol

Well, we’ve seen this kind of loveline with Joon-hee & Yoon-jae and then Binggeurae had this confused attraction/admiration for Trash. The show tried to tease us in 1994 when the sneaky red car passed by Binggeurae but they didn’t go all out with that and he ended up with Diedie. It’s a resolution to Binggeurae’s character which I actually welcomed.But this is one of the themes I hope that writer will totally break this time because I personally think it’s getting old as a conflict. I’d rather see Taek chasing after Deok-sun too and who knows he might be the husband game changer.

With some distance, I can chuckle at the red car showing up and passing by Binggeurae in a "well done team" kind of way. . . but back then, when it aired. . . :angry:. Because at that point, I was already emotionally drained with the whole Trash / NaJung / Chilbongie play going on (and being totally totally gutted by Chilbongie's puppyness) that I was DONE with the main triangle. . . what I had originally liked about '94 was that they had been taking a more ensemble approach to the story than they had in '97 (now, I still LOVE '97. . but of course, that's my era - I was in high school then and actually in a kind of similar situation back then) and I liked them following the whole group and showing us how all of these different people from different places and backgrounds came together and became a second family. At the point that we got to Binggeure's reveal, I was turning my attention back to the ensemble - because they'd already ruined the "mains" for me, I felt too jerked around and "manipulated" (for lack of better words) in service of the "we must keep the guessing/debate going" and just wanted to see how the story played out. Then, what do we see? Binggeure is warned about "crazy DieDie" before the trip. A few narrative minutes later, we meet DieDie when she takes the drink so Binggeure doesn't have to. A few narrative minutes later (almost a direct cut from the introduction of DieDie to future Binggeure going downstairs) we see the red car drive by. . and then wife DieDie. My immediate reaction was WHAT!? As an audience, we just met this character and *snap* they got married that storyline is closed. . .let's go back to playing "guess who's the husband!!" I totally had a moment of 1)They've been reading message boards and thought "Hey, here's another great opportunity to play with them quickly" and 2) "Oh crap, we only have a few episodes left - we've got to start dropping these other characters quick so we can focus on the main triangle, because that's what everyone wants to see!"

I'm cool with the end result of Binggeure and DieDie and I understand and accept the overall narrative story they were telling with him - the sort of lost and confused character that isn't sure if it's "I'm totally into this person" or if it's just "hero worship." But I'd have liked to have seen a bit of the Binggeure/DieDie buildup. . not just introduce a character and less than 5 minutes later skip 15 or so years and tell us that she married one of the group. And this is only one example of that kind of story play for me, I kind of felt like they did this a couple of times. . .and maybe it's just me, but with '97, they also did the jumps from past to present and then filled us in on some of the backstory after the reveal, but I felt that that "backfill" was much tighter in '97. . . I didn't feel as if they had left anything major out and that when the show was over, we could clearly put together the "main bones" of the stories and understand how all these characters and relationships developed during those "time skip" years. With '94, it felt like that drug out SO MANY EPISODES in service to the guessing game that it got a bit draggy at times and stole time that could have been used to fill in some holes with the development of the rest of the cast - show us those stories of how things played out a bit instead of just dropping it on us quickly because the characters no longer served the guessing game. . . 

We're still early in '88, but so far I'm cautiously optimistic that we're finally getting the kind of story telling that I wish '94 was (and yea, I have no real right to tell anyone how to tell the stories that they want to tell), but in my opinion, '94 would have been stronger without the service to the guessing game. . and it looks like '88 is focusing on developing these characters - all of these characters - and hopefully won't just drop stuff on us and cut things short just to focus on one group. I'm invested in these guys and gals - all of them, and I want to see them all grow and develop. 

LOL, the team likes to troll us with those Motnani dolls - definitely got me more curious for which colors are meant for each character. I initially thought Sun-woo's the red doll. =O)

aish - yeah. . .and while I totally have been reading all the detective work going on here. . I'm so trying to not pay attention to it in the series. I've been so horribly burned by the "clue dropping that actually is a red herring" with this "series" that I just don't have the energy (or the sanity) to do it again. . . lol. I'm all about character analysis and trying to figure out what makes a character tick and motivates them, and figuring out how these dynamics between characters work and change over time, but I'm finding myself getting a bit irritated with more "manufactured - throw something in to keep them guessing" type stuff. For me, there's plenty to be analyzed and observed in the natural growth of these storylines, without having to drop stuff in "just to keep everyone talking."

wahhh.. looks like more of us falling in love with JH charm.. his eyes so small just like Seoinguk eyes.. For me and writernim and PDnim really genius because he know that most of girl in this world more interested with attractive and charming guy even though they don't have handsome face just like JH..i really envy with their childhood friendship..

1) ShiWon is our main gal and she totally has eyes for oppa TaeWoong (which one could possibly argue if it's real love or puppy love at first)

Hah, the only person Shiwon had eyes for pre-realization of loving Yoonjae is Tony oppa, not Taewoong oppa. :lol:

Hah, the only person Shiwon had eyes for pre-realization of loving Yoonjae is Tony oppa, not Taewoong oppa. :lol:

Ok. . .there's that. . .but I was trying to simplify . . . ;)

Anyeong chingus.  I just caught up with ep 4, watching with subs.  I think I am beginning to get drawn into this drama. I am guessing that for the next episode Bora will get into trouble politically and Sun Woo ends up getting involved because he likes her.  Sun Woo and Bora's family friendship is going to be tested as Sun Woo's mother won't be able to curb her worries about Sun Woo getting into trouble.  Sun Woo is her only son and being a widow and all, I am sure she is more than protective over him and would probably fall out with Bora's mom over the issue.  This drama will be more interesting than its predecessor if it can pull off such heart rending drama.  I am looking forward to it.  

I think people just ship who their favourite actor is not caring much about the storyline.  I am actually quite neutral about the guys and I cannot understand why we cannot watch it without much ado about the shipping.  As it is now, we are sure that Jung Hwan likes Deok Sun and Deok Sun likes Sun Woo.  Why can't we just go with what the drama without shipping and let the writer tells the story.  I think the writer said that they won't play guess the husband for this series but yet it seems like people still want to play the game.  I cannot see Taek or the other friend in the running as now because there is nothing in the story that tells me that now.  Maybe the writer is going to change but I trust what whatever it is, the writer will make the characters consistent and plot believable like all the previous Reply dramas.  Thank you for hearing me out.  

I am curious about homosexual character,  possibility is Taek.

but, what about if he's Sun Woo?

i think about his facial expression and I laugh so hard think this possibility.

but, in character profile says Sun Woo had crush on someone already 3 years, that mean its happen where his dad passed away, right?

Archived