[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DC Gallery never fails to impress.  They truly are the best investigators.  It wouldn't surprised me if they're correct and that DS's crush on SW is just a smoke screen for the true triangle of the series.  Taek learned how to swear..is smoking next?  That would be a true twist in the story if Taek ends up being the husband.

Guest misspinky

even though Taek is still in the game, I don't think he will be endgame because the one the father chooses to be the son-in-law isn't the son-in-law. At the moment, I think I want JH-DS to be the endgame.

I wondering if they'll kill off BR because the family was against her being in the protests and she was also injured. that way, even if SW did like BR, he will like DS and it will be like reply 1997. either way, I'm curious to see how they portray the democracy efforts at the time and it also hits close to home, given the recent protest in South Korea.

I think we have to keep in mind that this is neither R1997 nor R1994. I don't think they will let BR die exactly because of how it would then become a bit too close to R1997 if SW does end up liking DS. The love triangle is already close enough to R1994 IMO...

Also, if all the clues seem to point to JH being the husband right now, I keep thinking that since it is R1988, isn't it a bit too obvious?... I mean I know it got so out of hand with R1994 that they would want to tone it down a bit, but it seems a biit too easy and way too fast right now. Ok, so adding Taek to the triangle would mean that things would be more interesting, but DS has to show some interest for it to play a role in the story. No?

Character profile (credit: tvN)

Deoksun's family - "Living in a basement is not too bad."

1. Sung Dong Il (Banker, born in 1944, age 45, current age 72)

Assistant manager at Han Il Bank. Diligent employee at work. Head of household who suffers from his wife's nagging about his low pay. Though he's moved to Seoul a long time ago, he still hasn't lost his Jeollado accent. 

Kindhearted and loves people, he can't simply pass by an elderly woman selling vegetables on the street without buying from her. He lost his entire savings after he co-signed as a guarantor on a loan, and moved into the basement of Sungkyun's house. And on his pay day, he brings home everything from encyclopedia sets to prenatal cassette tapes.  

Though he doesn't have much money and lives a hard life, he is the pillar of his family.Despite his brusque and impatient manner, he takes great care of his three children and is a loving dad to them. His love for his youngest son, Noeul, is especially strong. 

2. Lee Il Hwa (Housewife, born in 1944, age 45, current age 72)

Gyeongsangdo ahjumma with "big hands." (Note: "Big hands" is a Korean expression to describe someone who makes/serves everything in huge servings.) Though her household doesn't have much, once she cooks something, she makes enough to feed the entire neighborhood. 

She is responsible for taking care of her family. She starts her day at the break of dawn by preparing lunch for her husband and kids.  She is busy breaking apart her two daughters' daily fights, and at home, everyone is always calling for Mom. 

From paying for tuition, field trips, and tax...  There's a great deal of money to be spent. She is upset at her husband who is busy helping out others indifferent about their own family's hardships. She relieves stress by gossiping with the other ladies in the neighborhood. 

3. Bora (Sophomore at Seoul University, born in 1968, age 21, current age 48)

Sophomore at Seoul University majoring in math education. Eldest daughter, family's pride... and headache.

If she wants to do something, she has to do it no matter what. Hot-tempered when angry. No one, even her parents, can stop her. 

Hot-tempered and prickly. She is passionate about participating in student demonstrations. 

Though she had her parent's sole attention growing up, the fact that she is participating in student protests is a top secret! No one knows what will happen the day that her dad finds out.

She is constantly arguing with Deoksun, and has never lost a fight to her sister.

Always ranked first in school all her life, she ignores her ignorant sister. 

4. Deoksun (2nd year student at Ssangmun Girl's High School, born in 1971, age 18, current age 45)

With the sorrow of being the middle child, she is Dongil's second daughter.

Her nickname is "Special Forces," short for "head especially bad for studying."

Ranked 999 at school, close to last. But doesn't let that ever bother her. Bright and cheerful 18 year old interested more in romance novels than textbooks, and in grooming herself than grades. 

Except for studying, she has many interests and things she likes to do. She is a fashionista at school, wearing matching denim on denim. She is constantly looking at herself in the mirror, creating double eyelids with a scotch tape. Talented and fun, she makes her friends laugh with her unbelievable dancing skills. She is also the gag partner of her neighbor, Sungkyun. Deoksun is the mood maker of the neighborhood. 

But at home, she is discriminated against as Korea's representative "second daughter." She had to wear hand-me-downs from her older sister all her life, from shoes, bags, and everything in between. She is responsible for doing household chores. From tasty food to pretty things, nothing was left for the middle child. 

Hates her sister, Sung Bora. Whenever she says anything, her sister gives her the stink eye and hurts her pride by calling her dumb. And if she were to use her sister's makeup or borrow her clothes.. an unimaginable violence and cursing ensue. Unable to take it anymore, she talks back to her sister... but the only thing she gets in return is her sister's fist. 

But hope shines upon Deoksun's life... That is, heart-fluttering "first love." Her first love has begun for none other than her childhood friend. 

5. Noeul (1st year student at Ssangmun High, born in 1972, age 17, current age 44)

Dong Il's cute youngest son, but looks older than his age. No one would suspect anything even if he said he was in his 40s. 

He received all the love and affection of his parents growing up, but was crushed by his two older sisters with such strong personalities. When his sisters fight, he is stuck in the middle and it is like walking on eggshells. Even so, he receives special treatment from his dad as the only son. 

Wears track pants every day. They say your adolescent years is a turbulent period in your life. But with his tender heart, he never causes any trouble. 

Junghwan's family - "It hasn't been that long since we became rich."

1. Kim Sung Kyun (Runs a Goldstar Electronics franchise store, born in 1944, age 45, current age 72)

The owner of the house that Dong Il's family rents from. Became rich overnight, but still wears the worn out Goldstar jacket everyday and is a cheapskate who doesn't know how to spend his money. Gets nagged at by his wife for buying mere four tangerines for his four member family. 

He is the mood maker of the neighborhood, although recognized for it by Deoksun only. He is Deoksun's gag partner. He is obsessed with making jokes, learning popular catch phrases from comedy programs like "Humor 1st Ave" and "Show Video Jockey." He is thankful to Deoksun for laughing at his jokes that even his family ignores. 

As the richest man in his neighborhood, he owns a Pony sedan and an expensive camcorder. Although he left his hometown ages ago, he still speaks with a Gyeongsangdo accent. Though a timid man, his jokes never stop coming. 

2. Ra Miran (Housewife, born in 1943, age 46, current age 73)

Unabashed and bold. Female leader type. 

She is unhappy with Sung Kyun's timid nature, but still she takes good care of her younger husband. She is obsessed with her husband's virility, and so, her home is overflowing with food known to be good for man's health (sex drive). 

Lover of leopard prints. Called the "cheetah ahjumma," she is the leader of the ladies in the neighborhood. She doesn't blink an eye at telling rated R jokes, and knows all the news of the neighborhood. She has never refused a request to borrow money, and takes care of the people in the neighborhood like family.

She is frustrated with her quiet son, Junghwan, and her eldest son who has been preparing for college entrance examination for six years. But she always feels sorry to them that she wasn't able to take better care of them during their poor days. Has a laissez-faire attitude about her kids' education. She hails from the Gangwondo region, and although she normally speaks with a Seoul accent, her Gangwondo accent comes out when she gets excited. 

3. Jungbong (preparing for the college exam for 6 years, born in 1965, age 24, current age 51)

Is in his sixth year of preparing for the college entrance exam. Sungkyun's eldest son and source of worry. He has many things he wants to learn, many things he wants to do, and many things he enjoys doing, from collecting stamps, LP records, and playing arcade games. His latest interest is reading the telephone directory. The one thing that he is not interested in... is studying. He is not affected by the stress of trying to get into college. 

4. Junghwan (2nd year student at Ssangmun High, born in 1971, age 18, current age 45)

Discontented with everything and has a prickly personality, he is Sungkyun's second son. Obsessed with soccer. As the "dog" of the neighborhood, he is called "Dog Jungpal" by others. 

He is a complainypants. He is always grumbling and never says "Yes" on the first go. After arguing, cursing, and being prickly... only then does he give in. The typical bad boy type.

Even at home, he is not any different as the prickly, chic son to his parents. He is the silent type whose conversation with his parents is composed of "yes," "no," and "I don't know."

Though prickly and cocky in both his words and his actions, he becomes all smiles when playing soccer. The greatest goddess of the world -  Lee Mi Yeon - he loves as much as soccer. He eats his lunch during break, and then plays soccer at the field during lunch imagining himself to be (soccer great) Maradona. He has a simple brain, distinguishing a good person from a bad person by their soccer skills. 

Perhaps it's thanks to his concentration skills and competitive nature honed from playing soccer, but his school grades are unexpectedly good. With his good build, athleticism, and good grades, you would think he would be popular with the girls... but that personality of his is the problem. 

And so his childhood friend, Deoksun, is his only female friend. Even though he teases her and annoys her all the time, when she's not around, he feels empty and gets curious about her whereabouts... it's so really strange. 

Sunwoo's family - "We're first when it comes to being harmonious."

1. Kim Sun Young (Housewife, born in 1946, age 43, current age 70)

The youngest of the neighborhood ladies. In contrast to her rough Gyeongsangdo accent, she cries easily and has a lot of aegyo. She's fun-loving and enjoys singing everywhere and anywhere. She is interested in everything happening in the neighborhood, and is a nosy-body who likes to mind in everyone's business. 

Since the loss of her husband, she has raised Sunwoo and Jinjoo by herself. She is thankful and also sorry to her kind son, Sunwoo, who doesn't keep any secrets from her and is like a friend to her. 

Her biggest flaw is her poor cooking skills. But due to her giving personality, she loves sharing her cooking with others... making it an awkward situation for her neighbors. She still doesn't realize the extent of how bad her cooking really is. The neighbors are amazed at Sunwoo and Jinjoo, who eat Sunyoung's food without any complaints.

2. Sunwoo (2nd year student at Ssangmun High, born in 1971, age 18, current age 45)

The student body president of Ssangmun High School and the ideal son of every mom's dream. He is a gentleman who is popular with both his friends and his teachers.  Unlike other boys his age, he has a gentle and affectionate personality.

As a person of principle, he keeps to his plans to a T without having anyone make him do it. And due to his clean nature, he keeps the space in his room and the library in perfect order. However, it's just that he is a little more mature than his friends. When he hangs out with them, he is just another 18 year old boy who gets competitive while playing silly games and tags along to watch rated-R movies. 

Unlike aloof Junghwan, he is a kind son who acts as the mood maker at home. At times, he is like a daughter to his mom, sharing and confiding all his secrets with her. 

However, Sunwoo has a secret that he can't even share with his mom. That is... that he is in a one-sided love with Deoksun's older sister, Bora. 

Since that fateful day when he saw Bora's warm and mature side that others do not know of, his gratitude turned into love before he knew it. And now, he intends to end that one-sided love and confess his feelings to Bora.

As the younger man... And his friend's older sister. It doesn't look easy, but this love is what Sunwoo has chosen. And now, the only thing that remains is Bora's decision. 

3. Jinjoo (born in 1983, age 6, current age 33)

Sunyoung's youngest daughter. She receives love from everyone in the neighborhood. Everything is new and fascinating to her. Her specialty is singing cartoon theme songs.

She has more memories of time spent with her brother than with her dad, and she loves her brother, Sunwoo, more than anyone in the world.

Whatever she grabs, she plays with as if her own. She can't stay still for even a moment, and follows along the neighbor ahjummas and ahjussis.

Taek's family - "It may be hard to believe, but he is my dad."

1. Choi Moo Sung (Runs a jewelry store, born in 1944, age 45, current age 72)

He runs the jewelry store "Bonghwangdang" and raises Taek by himself. Because he has the same hairstyle as the character Go Gildong from the cartoon Dooly, he earned the nickname "Go Gildong ahjussi." Stoic and diligent, he sweeps the alley and opens the store at the same time every day.

He moved to Ssangmundong after his wife passed away. He is very thankful for his neighbors who treat him and his son like family. Thanks to them, his fridge never runs out of food. 

Gentleman of one suit. He is a stickler to his principles. Even though his son earns a great deal of money, he never spends it for himself. People may say that he lives in luxury thanks to his son, but he himself feels sorry to his son, Taek, who had to grow up too fast. But he feels relieved that Taek has his neighborhood friends by his side.

2. Taek (Genius baduk player, born in 1971, age 18, current age 45)

The only son of the owner of the jewelry store, Bonghwangdang. Called the stone Buddha of the baduk world. Korea's national treasure as a baduk player. 

Went pro at the age of 11. Won the world title at 13. And by 1988, he was ranked number 1 in the world and number 1 for most prize money won. Called the greatest baduk genius.

He became a sensation when he won over his teacher at the age of 15. He is a born genius and a possessor of great concentration skills, but he also pours all his effort in baduk and is extremely hard on himself. Thanks to this, he won over his fellow Korean players, as well players in China and Japan to become the world's greatest that he is now. 

Taek is called the god of baduk. But in Ssangmundong, forget being a god. He is closer to being the neighborhood dummy. His words are few. He often spaces out and falls one step behind. (Note: "One step behind" here means getting jokes late, saying something after everyone else has said or done it already, etc.) He can't even make ramen, tie his own shoelaces... the only thing he knows how to do is play baduk. To his neighbors, he is someone you have to look after and take care of like the character Heedong to Go Gildong ahjussi. 

His only friends are Junghwan, Sunwoo, Dongryong, and Deokseon. Just those four people who he grew up with in the same neighborhood. Whenever he wins a prize money, they ask him to treat them and nag him to bring a bottle of liquor whenever he goes overseas.But because of these friends who are like his brothers and sister staying by his side, he was able to heal his loneliness and sadness with joy and laughter.

Dong Ryong's family - "The school dean lives at my house."

1. Ryu Jae Myeong (Teacher at Ssangmun High, born in 1941, age 48, current age 75)

The student dean at Ssangmun High School, and Dong Ryong's dad. Outspoken and assertive. Tiger teacher.

Has a strong sense of loyalty and asserts himself in all the happenings of the neighborhood. Like his personality, he is strict when it comes to his children's upbringing.

Raising his one son is a more difficult task than that of teaching the entire school. He feels sorry to Dong Ryong that he can't look after him better because both he and his wife work, but he can't just sit and back watch Dong Ryong not study and goof around all the time either.

2. Dong Ryong (2nd year student at Ssangmun High, born in 1971, age 18, current age 45)

Has four older brothers. The youngest son in his family. Known at school for his dancing. Called Doryongnyong ("Salamandar") at his neighborhood block.

From Sobangcha and Park Nam Jeong's dance to Bobby Brown's "Roger Rabbit" dance, there's no dance that he cannot do. Though he can't memorize a single English vocabulary, he can replicate a dance move that he has seen just once. A natural born dancer! Morever, he's a source of knowledge for his friends when it comes to everything from where the pretty girls hang out at to information about adult movies.

Needless to say, his school grades are at the bottom. Ranked 1000th in his class. Due to his overly optimistic personality, he has long ago given up on college for studying is not his path in life.

From having four older brothers, he has a lot of knowledge about life. As a result, whenever his friends need advice, they seek Dong Ryong's help. He provides clear answers to questions ranging from why mom is angry, why girls behave the way they do, and how to console an upset dad.

Because his is the only family on the block with both working parents, he spends a lot of time home alone. As his mom can't look after him, he wears a turtleneck almost everyday. Nevertheless, he's not lonely. Because he has by his side Sunwoo, Junghwan, Taek and Deoksun!

*All translations are my own. 

Whooaaa, thanks for character profile.

the last line of CP of Jung Hwan, we know he likes Deok Seon :) I am sure he will end the game.

I am sorry for Sun Woo, firstly i ship him with DS but I cant not fall in love with Jung Hwan.

He make me smile and smile again, he's really likeable, i think firstly he not see DS as a girl, just a friend, but after that happen, he will always thinking of her :) My heart flutters!!!

I think DS will love Sun Woo first, but after I rewatch episode, SUn Woo seem like not see DS as romantically, she just his friends, thats all.

I curious SW always go to DS home, I think He loves Bora.

when he want to borrow something (I dont know what is it), DS says she dont have it, so he say he will ask to Jung Hwan. If he knew JH have it, why he must go to DS house????? Hheheheeheehhe

So I was talking this drama with a friend and we both think that one of the kids or adults don't make it into 2015. It's just ominous feeling we get with the flashback and song choice for the reveal of how the core 4 became 5. At first I wanted this (death that is) but that's no longer the case. I realize there has already been enough death between these 5 families and one more will have me believing them cursed. Taek's mom, Sunwoo's dad, DS's grandma...only Junghwa and DongRyong haven't had death though them (and I hope it never does). 

The moment Taek cursed in ep 4 I knew for sure my gut feeling was right and he may be a contender for the husband throne. I had a feeling the whole "grow up and marry me" lines thrown by DS were not just throw away ones. I don't think he's the husband (unless he has some huge personality change which considering he's had the same temperament for 18 years is drastic and unlikely) but he is a contender. I'm about 88% sure on who the husband is but I need two more eps and one more scene to be more confident in the story I believe they been telling. I called it right in '97 and '94, I hope to get it right again cause I kind of already ship it a bit. 

Thanks @blue_angel_1004 for the translations. I remember you from the '94 thread. Your post were always so insightful and informative on krelated info. I enjoyed them a lot and hope to see more of you here. 

Providing an update on the detective game, or in my opinion who's the second lead game. For those who watched 1994 they know that the toys were a major hint then, seems like the story continues. Many fans (k fans and c fans) have noted colour scheme and to some extent the dolls in the characters rooms to be important. I'm not quite sure about which colours represent who but I'm fairly certain green is JH and red is SW. I'm a little confused about DS's colour and Taek's colour. I should be giving supporting evidence but I'm lazy.

Dude this is so true! These things give hints to what will happen or may occur in the next episodes. I can even more rely on this than the senseless chocolate theory. The reason why I'm not contributing to that discussion is because nobody has solved that problem yet even though we have seen clearly where DS put the chocolate into and yet we still complicate things. I remembered in 94 that the stuff toys have bearing (the monkey and the sea lion), even the ornaments displayed on top of the T.V. lmao those clues are huge give aways. Also, in the main poster of 94, Trash and Najung where both wearing chucks and striped shirts so it was obvious back then. So far, the things that I noticed are the manga books, the 3 dolls inside Taek's room, well I'm quite unsure about the colors who's representing who. I'm now looking at the other ornaments located inside their houses, especially Junghwan's because they always have a scene with their T.V. screen, I wonder if the ornaments also have a bearing. 

That Go Kyungpyo dude is hilarious! You will see what I mean below...

All actors will be listed by their AM1988 character names. (Interviewer = Joey Wong, JW)

DS: Yes, I'm Hyeri playing the role of Ssangmundong's "Special Forces," Deokseon. Nice to meet you. 

JW: This photo caused a sensation online. The bob cut sisters.

DS: This was the first time seeing us all in character. We arrived and saw each other. And we all had the same haircut! 

MO: Honestly, there isn't much we can do with this hair.

(Natural born 1988, Jungbong)

JW: The reason for picking Jaehong oppa?

JH: His existence alone is 1988. We came all dressed up and made up. But Jaehong came after washing his face. It means that he didn't do anything. He wet his hair once and said, "Let's go."

SW: I'm copying a scene from a commercial. I'm getting ready before making the chair fall. 

JW: I heard someone here held the mirror for you in this scene. How can you do such a good job holding the mirror?

DR: I got really into filming that scene. I needed one hour to prepare myself for filming that scene. So in order to hold the mirror, I got emotionally ready in the bathroom for 20 minutes. And as I walked to the set, I lost the emotion. So I had to go back to the bathroom to get emotionally ready again. 

(Is it true that Taek's existence alone is blinding?)

T: I'm practicing baduk alone at home. I learned baduk for the first time for this drama. It was a lot of fun. (*cue music*)

(Soccer mania in real life)

JH: I'm not even very good in soccer. Please stop bringing up soccer. I play soccer every weekend. And play soccer games on weekdays. I had to repeat the college entrance exam because of playing soccer games all the time. 

JW: What is your position?

JH: I play in the position of central defender.  The same position as Hong Myung Bo...

(The reason why Noeul looks tired)

N: I was hit on the same place all the time. 

JW: You got hit on your face? Your cheek?

N: Never on my face. Oh, you're saying that my face looks tired? But I didn't get hit on my face. From the way I see it, I was in my best condition that day. Why was that? 

JW: This photo was released as a teaser and was a sensation. 

DS: I always have the desire to doll up, but is not very good. 

DR: From afar, it looks like you're having a surgery on yourself after hurting your face. Like taking out a bullet yourself in action movies. 

JW: Please say something, Kyung Pyo oppa. You're good at making jokes. 

SW: I'm really into my character and so I'm holding myself back a little. 

(Rewind)

JW: What is the first thing that comes to mind when you think of 1988, Kyung Pyo-ssi.

SW: I was in my dad's side at that time. So... umm.. testicle?

(warning)

SW: I'm sorry. I just tossed that out there because we're filming live. Since this was before I was born, I don't know much. But Olympics. It's not that I remember the Olympics, but it's the most famous. 

(reading text)

DS: Bo Gum-ssi, please make us a promise for reaching certain rating?

T: Since it's 1988, how about 88%?

N: Oh, that's nice, that's nice!

BR: We'll bring Hyeri to an all-boys high school.

DS: Shall we buy something delicious for them?

SW: If we pass 8%, Answer Day, Not Girl's Day, will go to an all-boys high school. If we pass 10%, what shall we do? Men, what do you guys want to do?

DR: I want to go to an all-girls high school.

N: This is a promise. Not your ulterior motive. 

JH: Shall we do something like a lottery?

SW: We'll make a challenge for really high ratings. If we reach high ratings, I think it'd be nice if the guys and girls did something together. What do you think?

DR: How about all-girls' college this time?

SW: What, all-girls college this time?

DS: You decide, oppa.

T: Dressed up in a 1988 fashion, everyone holds a fan signing event.

Since 97 and 94 have 2 love line and there is 1 female charactor beside DS - Bora. so I think we'll have love story for her with some boy. it can be SW or Jung Bong.

For SW, I notice that SW is the only boy among the gangs keep mention about Bora. "This is your sister's jacket"  "why you so happy? your sister will take it (Momo) anyway" (it's so sad for DS to think that he agree to join the talent competitive because of her). He was so happy, tried to have a good outfits to take the class with Bora. well maybe because DS was there also, but he meet her everyday but he never acted like that before. Beside, I think he went to DS's house to borrow things just to meet Bora.

Jung Bong, he tried to impress Bora w his English skill. It's so funny when right after he speaks Korean when someone ask where is he going :D So far just it. I think the idea to make a love line for the brother-sister is very good.

Beside, for now, I can see that SW doesnt like DS, he's just a nice guy and DS is misunderstanding his manner to her. But everything can change, the "husband game" is still going strong with mystety ^_^

So the dolls in Taek´s room are the red,yellow and green ones.We have the triangle here guys: JH-DS-SW. I have to say I thought in the first episode the husband might be SW or Taek because I was clueless and lots of you said so.But my heart felt JH was the one.Why?Well, they bicker a lot  and he was the only one that has been treated  differently be her. Even in the poster he is the only one with a different pose.And another detail,JH's father calls DS "his friend".She is very close to him.Writers don`t do that carelessly, they are showing us some kind of family boundary.He treats her like a daughter and in both replys, 1997 and 1994, the husband was like a son to the heroine's parents.This time is twisted but is the same clue..So that's my bet, JH.

By the way, if any of you could translate the character's description I'll be extremely happy.

Many DC gallers seem to believe that red is Taek, green is JH, and yellow is DS, and that this will be the true love triangle of this series.

They point out many instances where these colors appear.

1. In episode 1, the camera zooms in at the Chinese checkers in JH's room featuring these three colors, along with white.

2. During Taek's birthday, he wears a birthday hat with red, yellow and green polka dots.

3. In Episode 4, Taek hands the rubiks cube that he finished solving to JH. The camera zooms in on the rubik's cube, showing the red and green sides.

4. When JH gets leg cramp in Episode 4, the rubiks cube is on the floor in Taek's room. The rubiks cube shows yellow and red sides.

5. In the scene where JH's family is eating when they learn that they won the lottery, they are eating out of a pot that is yellow and green.

6. When DS's dad buys a gum from the old lady while eating at the pojangmacha, the camera zooms in on the gum. He buys two packets: yellow and green.

7. At the talent show during the field trip, the boys are dancing. If you take a look at the letters in the background, there's one in yellow with red background and another in yellow with green background.

There are many more examples they listed, but those are the ones that I remember from the top of my head.

The moment Taek cursed in ep 4 I knew for sure my gut feeling was right and he may be a contender for the husband throne. I had a feeling the whole "grow up and marry me" lines thrown by DS were not just throw away ones. I don't think he's the husband (unless he has some huge personality change which considering he's had the same temperament for 18 years is drastic and unlikely) but he is a contender. I'm about 88% sure on who the husband is but I need two more eps and one more scene to be more confident in the story I believe they been telling. I called it right in '97 and '94, I hope to get it right again cause I kind of already ship it a bit. 

I also consider Taek as a strong contender (I got my 70% bet to JH). His childhood bg was given emphasis as oppose to the previous male leads of the Reply Series. The two male leads childhood was significant to the lives of our female leads. My other two cent relies on the inconsistency of the chocolate scene, in which I have second doubts why I don't think JH is the husband and I don't think this debate with the whole chocolate scene is relevant to our hubby investigation. IDK why future Hubby needs to ask DS to whom did she give the chocolates to/ Coz it will be obvious if he really did read her diary, he wouldn't ask anymore (unless the name was not stated but I doubt it) there's an inconsistency in this scene because of his nagging statement, Hubby: "Btw, to whom did you give the chocolates to?" Me: "Wait?! I though you read the diary! You should have known it or have an idea at least!"  And if this is Jeonghwan indeed, he must know to whom did she give it to even if he persisted that he had not receive any from his wife because somewhere in the process of the past scenes, I knew that he will know who DS first love is, and in theory, it is Sunwoo. And I don't think Jeonghwan hubby future will still ask DS about the chocolates because what the heck?! Only a man outside the friendship circle of DS will only ask this kind of things. And how the hell DS forgot to whom she did gave it too. She didn't hesitate when she put the chocolates into the bad so she knew who it belongs to. And if she keeps on giving Sunwoo candies and other sweets, won't it stay inside your memory? Second time around? And so there's a possibility that Taek MIGHT be future hubby. Not 100% sure but I guess he fits the right to ask this kind of questions to future DS. Future hubby seems outdated with what happened to DS during in her teens and it seems like Taek in the 88 wouldn't know these things because he is always away with his friends and it's only logical for me if future Taek ask to whom chocolates belong to. As compared to JH that if he really fell in love first, in the process of 1988 scenes, he will soon realize that DS eyes are pursuing someone else (just like CB in 94). IDK just my two cents but I could be wrong. Future hubby smokes and JH said earlier that sunbaenim is a good example because he doesn't smoke. This will take a complete make over of his 2015 character if we live up to the theory that he is the husband because it will be inconsistent to his character again. Aissh this is frustrating me LMAO, I still need two more episodes OR a one strong scene that "CONFIRMS" who the husband is. My bet is still JH though. 

I'll keep persisting on this, but so far I really can't feel a SW-BR loveline going on. Like the character descriptions and all makes me think that it's a real possibility but so far I don't really see it. As for everyone saying how SW notices things belong to Bora or how he's paying attention to his appearance when he goes to the study session or how he keeps going to DS's house for stuff when it's obvious she won't have them. In my opinion SW isn't stupid, it's fairly clear that DS likes him (JH has noticed) but he isn't stoping her. I'm not saying this is the case, but is there not a possibility the SW is going to DS's house all the time and etc because he likes DS? I understand that a lot of people's argument is that he doesn't try to look good for DS normally but how do we know he doesn't? I agree that it can all be explained if he likes Bora, but I'm saying it's not exactly obvious that he likes Bora yet. 

As for Taek being a possible contender in the husband race. I agree and won't cross him off as safe (from the race) yet. Taek being so silent has so much room for growth that you can't really imagine how he'll be like as an adult. Imagine if he became DS's husband? There would be so much to say about how he became so outspoken.

In the end, I haven't changed my opinion yet, the husband is still JH. It's the most obvious choice and in my opinion a quite boring choice. I like JH a lot as a character and he's definitely growing on me. His relationship with DS is adorable, but I can't help but feel that the couple dynamics feel too similar to the previous couples. 

Just a funny idea, but what if one of the guys end up with Jin Joo? She's so adorable, I can imagine SW being murderous if any of his friends date Jin Joo when she's older. 

Color theory:

So I did read about this color theories a few days ago in korean, and I wasn´t sure if it´s a thing yet or not. But seems more people have pointed it out so I´m gonna trans from what I understand.

- The color theory follows similarly in Reply1994, where there was 7 casts in 7 rainbow colors:

28474437.jpg

Note: husband in R94 is green.

So for Reply 1988, there´s 5 friends and they follow the 5 color of the olympic colors, in the order they´re standing in the poster.

2eahqmh.jpg

olympic-rings-1328914.jpg

• Dong Ryong is blue
  • Deoksun is yellow
  • Sunwoo is black
  • Junghwan is green
  • Taek is red

wlavpc.jpg
r1neiu.jpg

The colors are pointed out again in the diamond game. Junghwan´s mom picked up the green piece, which color represent Junghwan.
The other contender on the game is Taek who is red, and Deoksun who is yellow. They also point out how Deoksun is often seen with the color yellow/orange. Like the yellow juice cup and orange juice etc. 

- Included are closeup of the color things, in pairs: 

261fcb7.jpg
205309u.jpg

It´s yellow (Deoksun) and green (Junghwan)

- Also in Junghwan´s profile: "The greatest goddess of the world -  Lee Mi Yeon". Junghwan´s favorite celebrity is Lee Mi Yeon, and Deoksun is a self-proclaimed Lee Mi Yeon in 1988. While her older self in 2015 is played by Lee Mi Yeon.

23k7og1.jpg

Also this: Green (Jungwan) + Red (Taek, not 100% confirmed) = Yellow (Deoksun)

The similar scenes: 

2v8r5ok.jpg
2v9989j.jpg

- Deoksun lost her camera on the trip. Junghwan lost his liqueur bottle. 
- Future husband is acted by Kim Joo Hyuk, hangul letters KJH it also fit: Kim Jung Hwan.
- Deoksun bicker scene when they watched the movie A Better Tomorrow 2 is similar to their bickering in 2015

The rest of the post, it pointing out how it´s Sunwoo-Bora who will be in the other loveline. I´m not gonna translate it, cause the theory has been posted here before.

Source blog post: http://m.blog.naver.com/areon_bang/220538670581

- A similar scene between Sunwoo and Bora 

vxym3c.jpg

20tqt4z.jpg

Archived