[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm while I agree the appearance of the actors may be doing something for me, but as someone who in R94 thought Samcheonpo had a chance I would like to think that I can be slightly more critical about characters. I get the feeling that DR is R88's Haetae and that other guy in 97 (Not Eun Ji Won, Hoya, or Seo In Guk). But that's why I think he's out of the competition completely, Taek is pretty much out of the running but if the writers were planing to throw a curve ball later on it'll be Taek. Continuing with the baseball analogies (because 1994 was filled with them), Sunwoo is the fast ball because DS has a crush on him and he'll fly straight past her, while JH is a change up that will confuse DS. Yeah but back to DR, it's basically because DS is too comfortable around him and he's too comfortable around her that places him in the out if the race category. Yes, they have cute moments together but I think we need that one guy that DS doesn't have to think of as a potential husband. I mentioned the fourth male character in the beginning because most reply series have 4,  I'm starting to think that may be JB (JH's brother). I'm not saying that the characters completely fit 1997 or 1994 counterparts but I think you can sort of say JB is Samcheonpo or Eun Ji Won in this drama. I only wish that if SW-BR become a thing that they take pity on DS, I don't care if she likes SW for real or not, but having a girl with middle child complex have her first crush being stolen by her sister will hurt. Now that I think of it the story has been foreshadowing that all along, starting the series off with her middle child complex. Continuing to talk about how everything she wants goes to her sister, I guess we can only put her first crush on the list of things DS didn't get. 

About dramafever subs
Guys I recommend more people go to Dramafever and comment under their Reply 1988 page. We´re all paying for Dramafever after all and has every right to complain about their subs release. I just checked and Oh My Venus air Mon/Tues and are subbed on the same day, and subs also released on the same day!! While Reply1988 is totally put in the backburner at Dramafever, which is totally ridiculous.

For R88 we have to wait 2-3 days, and they can´t even keep their schedule to release it on time (Monday). And I don´t think we should just stay quiet and be making fools of. People should just go to DF R88 page and complain under there, so they hopefully they can move the R88 schedule up or speed up the subbing for this drama.

I know they have the resource to sub this drama, if not they would not bother claiming exclusive right to it. But they´re just not prioritizing Reply 1988 because it´s a cable drama and maybe they think it doesn´t have many fans, and they know fans just eat up whatever subs they release and at slow speed. We can´t do anything about it but stuck with them cause they´re monopolizing the subs, but at least we can voice our complain. 

About name wordplay of Deoksun's friends:

- Jang Mi Ok = Jang Man Ok (Maggie Cheung), a Chinese popular actress in the 80s

- Wang Ja Hyun = Wang Jo Hyun (Joey Wong), also a very popular Chinese actress in the 80s

- Sung Deok Sun = Self proclaimed Lee Mi Yeon. Who is the actress who play adult Deoksun in 2015.

- Kim Joo Hyuk = Kim Jung Hwan??

Won't Deoksun's husband in 2015 played by Kim Joo Hyuk also be a wordplay for Kim Jung Hwan?

About name wordplay of Deoksun's friends:

- Jang Mi Ok = Jang Man Ok (Maggie Cheung), a Chinese popular actress in the 80s

- Wang Ja Hyun = Wang Jo Hyun (Joey Wong), also a very popular Chinese actress in the 80s

(It's upsetting Dramafever is not even translated the actresses Chinese name cause that what those actress are known overseas, not by their Korean name. And it also emit how big and popular Chinese movies and dramas was in Korean daily life in the 80s-_-)

- Sung Deok Sun = Self proclaimed Lee Mi Yeon. Who is the actress who play adult Deoksun in 2015.

- Kim Joo Hyuk = Kim Jung Hwan??

Won't Deoksun's husband in 2015 played by Kim Joo Hyuk also be a wordplay for Kim Jung Hwan?

Wow. A good point!

I only realized it but Taek is left handed, or just using left hand to eat/drink etc? Taek used his left hand to pick up kimchi radish when the gang had ramen at his room. 

I'm curious cause I remember Deoksun's husband in 2015 was also holding coffee in his left hand, could it be that they're both left handed??

Guest nchoerunnisa

Why Dramafever is the only one with Reply 1988 license? Because Reply 1988 only give the license to Dramafever or because others online video distributor are not interested in purchasing the license?

Because I found this on Viki.com. And maybe, if we fill out and submit the request form they'll finally will purchase the license? We seriously need another alternative beside Dramafever.

If you'd love to see Reply 1988 licensed please fill out and submit the Title Request form: 

Guest ororomunroe

Why Dramafever is the only one with Reply 1988 license? Because Reply 1988 only give the license to Dramafever or because others online video distributor are not interested in purchasing the license?

Because I found this on Viki.com. And maybe, if we fill out and submit the request form they'll finally will purchase the license? We seriously need another alternative beside Dramafever.

If you'd love to see Reply 1988 licensed please fill out and submit the Title Request form: 

On 29 July, 2015, Dramafever and CJ E&M signed a multiyear licensing agreement which gives them *exclusive* streaming rights to a large portion of their new content (CJ E&M is the parent company of tvN). This will limit other providers, including Viki, access to their content. Source 1 Source 2

So unfortunately, Viki can't sub this drama or any other tvN drama for the next couple of years. Not sure when the deal ends. 

Heya, I already filled up the form, I suggest you guys also do the same. What's good in Viki? We can monitor their subbing percentage. I'm kinda disappointed with DF because they promised that they will give out the eng subs on Monday but I've been waiting since yesterday and it's already Tuesday in Korea and in my place so :\ That's why I prefer Viki than any other sub team. 

Not trying to be a defender of DF because I'm a premium member too.  But people have to realize that DF is a US based company so they go by American time.  So unfortunately people in Asian countries can't view the subs until Tuesday morning while Americans get it late Monday afternoon.  I have no problems with subs taking a long time.  Each episode I practically a movie so might as well take their time.

Yup, them dolls are freaking terrifying. I can't believe kids actually played with them and did not have nightmares of them coming alive and murdering them in their sleep ala Chucky. People have really sharp eyes to notice the colors, and dolls, and fly splatters. My hats off to ya'll cause I'm blind to those things. 

I'm not even gonna lie, looks help. I sometimes trudge through a dry or frustrating drama because a favorite actor or actress is in the role and "ohhh pretty :D". I like to think I don't ship based on looks (honestly most to all k actors and actresses look good so...). I ship based on chemistry and spark. Two people together just gotta have that certain tension, that...something (omo, look at him/her, it's so obvious how you two feel....pls kiss, pls kiss, pls kiss, just kiss or hug or confess already adjskhnflkhdoiyhjfbshyb) that brings the feels and makes me want them together. Still, it's a lie to say atypical flower boy looks doesn't help in bringing in fan love/devotion/support and want for endgame status. I personally find that all 5 guys in this drama look good and have their own charms (wouldn't kick anyone of 'em out my bed, 'cept PBG who looks too much like a kid for me. He's like a younger brother I want to feed and talk to). DS and DY give off nothing but just friends vibes to me. Their dynamic reminds me of NaJeong and Haitai's (who looked good imho). Two close and platonic friends that look out for one another. 

I think Taek is going to be a competitor because I watched R88 ep 0 unsubbed and there is a yet to be aired scene which if I read it right felt like Taek has something of a crush or admiration of DS (or it's foreshadowing that one will develop). It had to do with a commercial, LMH, and expected and unexpected fanboying smiles. 

I love the friendship and parental relationships of this series. I really like that for once papa DongIl and his daughter do not have a loud and bickering relationship. In this installment the two get along very well and the daughter is even dotted on by dad and she in turn seems to admire him and have him sort of on a pedestal of "greatest man ever" and the only man for me is my daddy. I really like that sorta daddies little girl bond. I also really enjoy Sunwoo and his mom. I like that he shares things with her and always eats her awful tasting food. I do think mom is too emotionally dependent on him in a way that can be burdening (I can't imagine how she would react if SunWoo wanted to move out for college or something). DY and his dad crack me up soo  much. The poor boy and poor man. Every time the dad busts them doing something bad and DY runs from his beating or brings up home mater after a beating, I die. JH's family are just an odd group of personalities. I can see they all do love each other (I was a grinning fool when JH finally gave into his dad's greeting, and that they all smiled for the photo) but they are all so different from each other, where did it come from? I like that in the next ep we see the men of the house bond since mom goes away (lazing around in boxers, giving out /letting neighbors borrow things since mom isn't there to stop them, I can't wait). Taek and his dad remain too silent. I can see dad cares and worries a lot for his son, but lawds both of them need to USE YOUR WORDS!! It was sad watching him silently watch his son's agony and not know what to do. I do adore that Taek has awesome friends who are awesome with him and each other. They knew just what he needed, and it's great that they try to never leave him out and treat him as just "one of the guys" that he is. The moms also have nice friendships. I like when they sit around drinking, gossiping, and being a sound board or support system for each other. I like that they look out for each others kids and families and silently help out when needed. I would really enjoy a scene of the fathers going out for drinks or bonding in some way similar to the moms.

I've always disliked devilfever as I saw someone one call it (the ish they have tried to pull on viki, dramabeans, and other sites that host or relay kshows, also their subs are lacking imho). It's disappointing to know they got exclusive rights to all CJ E&M things so viki can't sub R88 even if they wanted to. I watched the previous two Rseries on viki so I've never had to wait this long for subs but beggars can't be choosers. Even if it takes longer than I would like and it's lacking, I appreciate that someone takes the time and effort to do what I can't and allow me to understand a show I enjoy watching. 

I lie just love the friendship .  It was really touching when DR suggested that they would save up money for DS's Walkman.  Winning it for her was also awesome.  Being a child of the 80s I hope to hear more of the 80s American music.  I expect to hear Starship's "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" in the future episodes.

Taek really is left handed! He even use the spoon and eat with his left hand. Deoksun future husband might be left handed too by how he hold his coffee and drink from the left hand, as we see in 2015. 

This doesn't prove Taek is the husband, but it pretty much confirm PD wants to have him involved in our husband competition since they left the left handed clue hint there, to make Taek a contender too.

Taek really is left handed! He even use the spoon and eat with his left hand. Deoksun future husband might be left handed too by how he hold his coffee and drink from the left hand, as we see in 2015. 

This doesn't prove Taek is the husband, but it pretty much confirm PD wants to have him involved in our husband competition since they left the left handed clue hint there, to make Taek a contender too.

Kim Joo Hyuk is left handed too~~~ since I watched him in 1N2D, he eat using left hand. Uhm but but but... TT

I'm wishing Junghwan though~~~ kkk

Hellooo Everyone, this is my first time joining this thread, I'm so crazy over the drama, I streamed the episodes and re-watched the raw over and over again waiting for sub for entire weekend~~~~~ Such a beautiful meaningful drama, I'm glad PD and writer put more family and friendship elements into it more than the previous installments. I'm so grateful the casts really do it wonderfully good. I wish I can following this thread from now on, 잘 부탁해요

:) :) :):) :) 

REPLY 1988 Fighting!!!!!

I wonder if they were trying to make a point that DS is forgetful in episode 4? At the beginning of the episode, she walks out and realizes she forgot her backpack. At the end of the episode, she walks out and realizes she forgot her lunch.

Going back to the 2015 scene about the chocolate... Though I have no clue what the husband is trying to say, I think it's probably fair to say that DS can't remember who she gave the chocolate to to save her life lol

Archived