[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest juniorette
14 minutes ago, namunamuyeppeo said:

Sigh. And the math problem JH was working on for days... And the fact that he stayed up all night

We have been working on our geometry problem for weeks now, a night is nothing

JH-JB scene playing music. "Top Gun" film music soundrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZYcS2KHq30

EP 0 of this music was playing in the drama. Songs lyrics remind me of JH.

Watching every motion in my foolish lover's game
On this endless ocean finally lovers know no shame
Turning and returning to some secret place inside
Watching in slow motion as you turn around and say

Take my breath away
Take my breath away

Watching I keep waiting still anticipating love
Never hesitating to become the fated ones
Turning and returning to some secret place to hide
Watching in slow motion as you turn to me and say, my love

Take my breath away

Through the hourglass I saw you, in time you slipped away
When the mirror crashed I called you, and turned to hear you say

If only for today I am unafraid

Take my breath away
Take my breath away

Watching every motion in this foolish lover's game
Haunted by the notion somewhere there's a love in flames

Turning and returning to some secret place inside
Watching in slow motion as you turn my way and say

Take my breath away, my love
Take my breath away

6 hours ago, balladblue said:

I will say that it is completely true to life that someone may take years to tell another person they love them. It is also true to life that best friends may put their friendship before their romantic feelings for the same person out of loyalty and love. 

And I definitely appreciate how this show strives to be realistic and portrays love in all the very small ways that mean big things - like today when Bora's Dad waited for her by himself out in the cold to give her medicine, or Taek's Dad talking to Taek about wanting someone by his side. The warmth is genuine and deeply felt; these are things that enhance the show. 

But as someone who is watching the main love line taking its sweet sweet sweeeeet time to play out... this is really frustrating and aggravating, hah. Just like real life, I suppose. Basically this post is me trying to calm myself down. Thank you for reading, lol. 

totally agree with you!!! look at SW, it even took him 2 years to confess his feeling to BR. and now both of TK and JH already know each others feelings towards DS and it is impossible to them to confess their feeling to DS. they( the ssangmun-dong kids) have been best friends for more than 10 years(i dont know when did TK move to the neighborhood) so you cant compare TK and JH to CB and trash. their friendship just really strong, if i'm in TK and JH position i will probably do the same. by keeping my feeling inside, i can keep my 2 best friends. 

i'm so happy seeing how SW and TK react about their parents feeling, they have matured enough to accept that their parents are just like them, they have feelings too. 

but just relax my chingu, this drama tells more than just about high school crush become SO, the friendship and family are also the main point of this drama. and that's what keeps me watching this drama. they portray the family situation in a very realistic way. it really hits me hard seeing BR and her family. i definitely see myself in BR.

soo just enjoy your holiday, spend more time with those you love.

and am i the only one who love this song so much??? this is just soo great, eventho i dont know the meaning. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-WBmg7RG4s&list=PLcOf-jV0-p1gkrWzZwEa5hvlTaregBNne

Idk if I could say this but after watching yesterday episode .. The Husband could be Taek.

Because Taek also giving up on Deoksun and among the four boys  he is most popular among girls (SW , DR also said tht) , I count it as a high potential he will dating another girls as qualified for the future husband characteristic.

On December 23, 2015 at 6:12 AM, toera said:

Having all the characters in the future scenes without telling who is the husband gave them the opportunity to give us more information. This time, by choosing to show the 'husband'  without saying who he is, they kind of blocked things. It was a way to inform us what they became when they grew up,  and it worked. Now anything about the future will have to be explained in the last episodes. They could use adult DS, adult BR and adult NL in a better way imh.

Which is sad, cause I liked the future scenes in R1997 and R1994. And it's too sad that it makes me think at times (too many hospital scenes) that not all the parents may be alive.

I agree with this.

We don't have time to be realistic! This is a 20 episode drama and we have been in this place within the love triangle since episode 10. Episode freaking 10! These episodes run the course of almost 2 hours. One episode is the length of a movie. That is like almost 8 hours of not a damn thing hapening. Then to add insult to injury they are pulling the same exact storyline with Taek. They are literally wash, rinse, and repeating the bro-code storyline of Junghwan with Taek. I seriously screamed "richard simmons him and his tears confess you little richard simmons". I just needed someone to confess to Deok Sun to add her and her opinion and what she wants in the whole situation and stop ignoring her feelings or making assumptions of how she feels. NO, I just wanted something to happen. Some further movement than all these secrets and lies about feelings. For as close as the squad is, they really are keeping a lot from one another. 

I still can't get over the fact that both, BOTH boys are pulling a bro-code. We are trudging through one stalemate just to end up in another stalemate meaning for 6 episodes we have made no progress AT ALL when it comes to what is supposed to be your main OTP. We remain where we were. Feelings are known but no one is talking about it with one another or doing anything about it but just think and think and think and make decisions that really aren't there's to be making all on their own. I have seen more happen between adorable Jinjoo and food then I have between the OTPs. My Jungbong has gotten more progress and action than both boys and that to me is ridiculous. You're side character's side character is getting more development in their love life than your main female lead. Her mother's friend is getting more action than her...Seriously is Deok Sun our protagonist or is she an extra in other people's lives!?! 

I try not to focus on the OTPs too much and just enjoy the overall show and the attention to family and friends going on in this installement. However richard simmons that. They have well established the bonds and importance of family, friends, neighbors, classmates, teachers, etc. We have explored and developed those aspects well enough. What is very much lacking is the development of the OTPs and the whole "who is the husband?" questions and answers. I couldn't even really focus on or enjoy the family friends stuff because I feel so short changed when it comes to everything else. I love that Deok Sun is trying to find herself and is more focused on school. I am happy we are getting to see where the squad may or may not end up. Even with all that I am still upset. The team has yet to find a way to successfully balance all aspects of the show. I also feel more and more like the long running time is feeling even longer because so many scenes that could have been trimmed or we could have done without so that they could get the furthering on what needs furthering (we get it they are serious business studying for the college entrance exams. I already knew Taek was competitive with his baduk skills and showing the monopoly play last ep, showing it again with the arcade game was redundant and unneeded -time that could have been used on OTP development- I didn't need that many scenes of my queen Miran practicing, and many others scenes could have done without or seriously should have happened many episodes ago). 

Usually I try to find enjoyment in every episode but today I fast forwarded to the end and was just like, this team really does need the break to get their richard simmons together. Still so much that needs to get done with just 4 episodes left. What was turning out to be a 10 out of 10 drama keeps going down a notch with these past 4 episodes (i liked episodes 11-12). See ya'll in 2 weeks....

it's already the 16th ep, but still no spesific progress from main casts love line. arrrgh so frustating. and my curiousity about who's the future husband getting higher as well. im on team junghwan since ep 3 :D but since ep 10, im getting worry because Taek's position as future husband candidate getting stronger. *sigh*

and now, perhabs, the thing i really want to see is Taek or Junghwan will confess to deoksun T.T poor deoksun if both of the boys step back and no one confess. after read from ep 16 recap, is lower than my lowest expectation. cant helping but i'm so sad now T.T full of angst. why PD nim so selfish? doesnt he ever think about viewers ?

Since I have some time I thought I'll translate some analyses/random posts on DC...

Random things~

Analyses... quite poetic I think. At least the korean versions. My translation won't do justice but anyway...^^;;;

Spoiler

http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=reply1988&no=397850&page=2&exception_mode=recommend

One day in JH\s life.

Opening my eyes, I'm looking at the pink shirt next to my bed.
Neither today, I can wear it.
I sigh once and go on to wash up.
The washroom... You who told me to not go in yet because of the steam.
Ah, I'm gonna be late for school. Washing up and sitting down at the dining table.
Today's side dish is cockles.
Cockles.... Cockles...
The cockles that NL brought us yesterday.
You were the one that brought us side dishes almost everytime,
You seem to still be angry because of the shirt.
Because of me.... You are angry.
I want to make you laught but am hurting you more.
I eat breakfast, take my bag and go out.
I run into you.
You snort and run outside through the main door.
Just now me saying You idiot; the time we were joking around like that was better.
If I didn't like you.... If I didn't know you...
But there's no coverup.
I can't stop my feelings even if I worry about it for days.
I'm not able to solve this problem yet again as I head to the bus stop.
Like that time, the bus is jampacked and you stir up, but I can't stand behind you because I'm different now.
I'm continuously looking at you and suddenly meet your gaze.
Fortunately, you grab the handle yourself.
I pretend not to see you and plug my earphones into my ears.
At school I try to focus on schoolwork. If I study like this........even then, my problem is still not solved.
If DR didn't know I would have tried to skip it.
To pass it.
I still don't know the answer to my problem.
As it is, no - as I like you more and more,
You look at me with that hurting gaze and
About Taek..... Taek...
What should I do?

Spoiler

http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=reply1988&no=395576&page=9&exception_mode=recommend

The fact the picture in JH's wallet is so sad..

At the Jam concert DS told the couple that she doesn't want to take a picture with JH but

JH had his pride and without being shy, quickly gave them his camera and asked them to take the picture.

I thought that he had the picture but when in this kind of standstill situation the picture was shown in his wallet,

I thought that this one picture showed us so much at once.

Some people questioned if JH's feelings cooled down or if he gave up. In the time of 2 or 3 weeks' episodes, he was in a situation where he didn't get better nor could do anything so there will be people who think that he's frustrating to watch.

But that picture shows that he only gave up half and a long time passed but

When they took the picture and when he printed the picture and puts it into his wallet, it shows that his feelings didn't change a bit. Since he always wants to see DS's face he puts it into his wallet. Like lovers normally do.

Just how happy and proud must he have felt when he printed it and put it into his wallet?

Just like that, the meaning is already enough. But to JH, whom it's not easy to see DS often nowadays, the picture in his wallet must have been his only way to express his feelings for DS, the longing even if it's close, the frustration.

He can probably smile, cry and just show his feelings freely just to that picture.

But the cruel thing is.... his only secret escape was interrupted when his friend confessed. When he tried to hide his feelings with all his strengh, the comforting picture got him caught.

If this is not irony...

JH sticks around to see DS becoming happy again but.... since he likes her more and more that way my heart feels like it's teared apartㅠㅠ

Spoiler

http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=reply1988&no=395642&page=8&exception_mode=recommend

About why TK didn't cancel his confession because of JH's feelings towards DS but
because of his feelings towards JH.

Short version:

JH tries to hide his feelings for DS, TK isn't. But TK cancels his confession. Not because he now knows that JH likes DS. When he knew, he still planned to confess. But when he saw the picture in JH's wallet, he backed out. Why? The date on the picture is proof that JH liked DS way before TK told the boys. The fact that JH selflessly backed up for him, the meaning of that, the meaning of their friendship made him not able to confess anymore.ㅠㅠ

Spoiler

http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=reply1988&no=398181&page=1&exception_mode=recommend

The meaning of today's medicine

Medicine = Love

When DS got digestion TK gave her medicine. 
DS's dad gave BR medicine.
MK's dad gave her medicine and she gave it to her friends
TK ate medicine alone today ㅠㅠ
DS is the only one who tells him to not take so much medicine.

DR takes care of himself with reading a book on treatment instead of taking medicine lol

9 hours ago, mojobobo said:

The biggest troll is this is only season 1 of Reply 1988 guys. Tune in to season 2 in another half a year~~~

PS: Dont expect any more previews moving forward. Some of the scenes we saw were only shot like this week so they are really running short of time. 

if it's really happen. im okay. im okay. im okay.  no im not okay T.T i dont want season 2 but at least they will add more episodes. 25 episodes better than 20 episodes T.T

otoke. Deok-Sun-ah. 

Am pretty sure that you'll have you're shining moment. when you'll feel the love you truly deserve. And its gonna be worth the wait. hopefully. the next episode. maybe. :rolleyes:

I am more tired than DS at this point waiting for one of the boys to finally say what they feel about her. I mean DS know that they care for her as a friend... but she's longing for something more. and she's probably thinking that out of the four kids, shouldn't one of them at least would fall for her. I mean she had a crush on each one of them at one time or another. maybe DR included. hee. 

I can't really blame her for hoping and having expectation. After all, this boys or men-not-yet-men have been with her from the very start. And all of them knows her better than anyone else. Shouldn't they at least can take hints. lol. I guess if you really like that one person, its hard to open up and tell them how you feel. Becoz you also fear the rejection and the falling out of a friendship that's lasted since you were able to walk and talk. All DS needs is to feel loved and with the girl-friends slowly pushing her to have that kind of feeling, she's slowly losing confidence that she deserve to be loved by the opposite sex. Though I really think that DS is not ready to fall in love deeply with anyone at this point of her life. She's in luv with the theory of being in-love. She might have a crush or like one of the boys, but her feelings are not just deep enough for any of them. At least not yet.

I was a little bit taken aback when Taek gave the wallet to DS for her to return it JH. I mean he had a reason to open the wallet to see who the owner is.. but seeing that picture of both JH and DS in there meant that DS could do the same -peek into the wallet I mean, and see that same picture. the nosy DS coudn't have resisted not opening JH's wallet in my opinion. But that's only me, the writers might have viewed it differently.We could argue that DS lives there, so why would Taek go thru the trouble of dropping it off himself. But see, that's where I see how Taek felt when he finally realized that JH feels the same way as he does. He was planning to confess anyway, so it doesn't matter if DS sees that picture -something like that. BUT When Taek made that call to DS and cried after, am not too sure.... was he crying because he couldn't go through the confession and lost his chance for love or was he sad because he now knows what JH went through for him and was crying for the thought that he endured like he's enduring now. 

I like that both Taek and JH are on the same boat now.. but I am struggling with them as they go through a journey that's gonna be all awkward and weird for both admirers. Taek now knows that JH feels the same way as he does, but stood still becoz of his confession to the group. Taek could be thinking the same thing as JH too. He won't sacrifice losing two friends for the price of a young love that may never work. We all know that JH gave way becoz he didn't want to hurt Taek... and Taek is giving way becoz he knows that JH did just that becoz of him. The worst battle is between what you know and what you feel. Sure, Taek could have confessed and DS could have accepted him... but how would Taek feel whenever they hang out as a group, DS and him going out as a couple, and JH there. I am pretty sure, that Taek wouldn't want to hurt JH at all.. that group has been his life, his whole life outside of baduk. he's been taken care of by each one of those kids and losing one would be fatal for him. And the same goes for JH. They look after one another, so it would not make sense for me for both of this kids to pursue DS when they know that they will end up hurting the other friend. Which brings me to a point. JH was trying not to hurt Taek by suppressing his own feelings... trying so hard not to get caught that he likes DS. But then gets found out by that one person he's trying to protect. Life is indeed an irony. 

I would wish that they talk it out though. I mean sooner or later, they should deal about what they feel and need to do something about it, for DS and their friendship. Time would definitely take part on it, because pupppy love may come and go, but true love won't easily pass you by. DS will for sure end up marrying her best friend. And that hope will get me thru this 2weeks of torture.. indeed.

I just hope that two weeks from now, I could stop whining already and enjoy the family moments again, I've been so pissed at the push and pull of our OTP's that I can't even enjoy the parent's mishaps and funny moments. AND I missed enjoying those moments.. so. my wish for the new year is for the writers to get it together and finally give us DS being loved and being in-love. Is that too much to ask for writer-nims...hmmm.

Sorry for the long post. couldn't help it. and thank you for reading.

we're on EP 16 and seems that there is little progress  on who will be the husband, and its only 20 EP drama. I ship JH-TK now, you guys suit each other, nothing will happen if no one will make the first move. Tough I understand their reason for backing off, I'm starting to think that this Hunt is not really a big factor in this series. 

To think that 40s nowadays tend to start their relationship at 20+-30s bracket makes me think that love line will happen after the time skip. 

I'm so thankful that we have Jungbong-Mi Ok in this series to fill up that lack of progress on the main leads

With what is happening right now, I wouldn't be surprised if its neither TK nor JH, and it will be our silent contender DR. (LOL 10% Chance)
Lot of love for DR, he might be the least candidate but he is 100% husband material for girls.

PS. Think we should not expect any preview by now, its EP 17,18,19,20, with K-drama experiences by that time when drama is nearing its end they don't include preview by now with the remaining episodes 

58 minutes ago, MrsSoJiSub said:

I agree with this.

We don't have time to be realistic! This is a 20 episode drama and we have been in this place within the love triangle since episode 10. Episode freaking 10! These episodes run the course of almost 2 hours. One episode is the length of a movie. That is like almost 8 hours of not a damn thing hapening. Then to add insult to injury they are pulling the same exact storyline with Taek. They are literally wash, rinse, and repeating the bro-code storyline of Junghwan with Taek. I seriously screamed "richard simmons him and his tears confess you little richard simmons". I just needed someone to confess to Deok Sun to add her and her opinion and what she wants in the whole situation and stop ignoring her feelings or making assumptions of how she feels. NO, I just wanted something to happen. Some further movement than all these secrets and lies about feelings. For as close as the squad is, they really are keeping a lot from one another. 

I still can't get over the fact that both, BOTH boys are pulling a bro-code. We are trudging through one stalemate just to end up in another stalemate meaning for 6 episodes we have made no progress AT ALL when it comes to what is supposed to be your main OTP. We remain where we were. Feelings are known but no one is talking about it with one another or doing anything about it but just think and think and think and make decisions that really aren't there's to be making all on their own. I have seen more happen between adorable Jinjoo and food then I have between the OTPs. My Jungbong has gotten more progress and action than both boys and that to me is ridiculous. You're side character's side character is getting more development in their love life than your main female lead. Her mother's friend is getting more action than her...Seriously is Deok Sun our protagonist or is she an extra in other people's lives!?! 

I try not to focus on the OTPs too much and just enjoy the overall show and the attention to family and friends going on in this installement. However richard simmons that. They have well established the bonds and importance of family, friends, neighbors, classmates, teachers, etc. We have explored and developed those aspects well enough. What is very much lacking is the development of the OTPs and the whole "who is the husband?" questions and answers. I couldn't even really focus on or enjoy the family friends stuff because I feel so short changed when it comes to everything else. I love that Deok Sun is trying to find herself and is more focused on school. I am happy we are getting to see where the squad may or may not end up. Even with all that I am still upset. The team has yet to find a way to successfully balance all aspects of the show. I also feel more and more like the long running time is feeling even longer because so many scenes that could have been trimmed or we could have done without so that they could get the furthering on what needs furthering (we get it they are serious business studying for the college entrance exams. I already knew Taek was competitive with his baduk skills and showing the monopoly play last ep, showing it again with the arcade game was redundant and unneeded -time that could have been used on OTP development- I didn't need that many scenes of my queen Miran practicing, and many others scenes could have done without or seriously should have happened many episodes ago). 

Usually I try to find enjoyment in every episode but today I fast forwarded to the end and was just like, this team really does need the break to get their richard simmons together. Still so much that needs to get done with just 4 episodes left. What was turning out to be a 10 out of 10 drama keeps going down a notch with these past 4 episodes (i liked episodes 11-12). See ya'll in 2 weeks....

Exactly! We would have focused more if we weren't invited from the beginning to the guessing game (dolls, colours, dates on photographs, song lyrics etc etc etc) of who is the husband. No problem watching mum's audition for KBS, she was hilarious, DR is DR lol and NL's singing was great and all that.  But in the end one can't help feeling short when it comes to everything else.

25 minutes ago, lelee said:

Since I have some time I thought I'll translate some analyses/random posts on DC...

Random things~

Analyses... quite poetic I think. At least the korean versions. My translation won't do justice but anyway...^^;;;

Hide contents

http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=reply1988&no=397850&page=2&exception_mode=recommend

One day in JH\s life.

Opening my eyes, I'm looking at the pink shirt next to my bed.
Neither today, I can wear it.
I sigh once and go on to wash up.
The washroom... You who told me to not go in yet because of the steam.
Ah, I'm gonna be late for school. Washing up and sitting down at the dining table.
Today's side dish is cockles.
Cockles.... Cockles...
The cockles that NL brought us yesterday.
You were the one that brought us side dishes almost everytime,
You seem to still be angry because of the shirt.
Because of me.... You are angry.
I want to make you laught but am hurting you more.
I eat breakfast, take my bag and go out.
I run into you.
You snort and run outside through the main door.
Just now me saying You idiot; the time we were joking around like that was better.
If I didn't like you.... If I didn't know you...
But there's no coverup.
I can't stop my feelings even if I worry about it for days.
I'm not able to solve this problem yet again as I head to the bus stop.
Like that time, the bus is jampacked and you stir up, but I can't stand behind you because I'm different now.
I'm continuously looking at you and suddenly meet your gaze.
Fortunately, you grab the handle yourself.
I pretend not to see you and plug my earphones into my ears.
At school I try to focus on schoolwork. If I study like this........even then, my problem is still not solved.
If DR didn't know I would have tried to skip it.
To pass it.
I still don't know the answer to my problem.
As it is, no - as I like you more and more,
You look at me with that hurting gaze and
About Taek..... Taek...
What should I do?

Hide contents

http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=reply1988&no=395576&page=9&exception_mode=recommend

The fact the picture in JH's wallet is so sad..

At the Jam concert DS told the couple that she doesn't want to take a picture with JH but

JH had his pride and without being shy, quickly gave them his camera and asked them to take the picture.

I thought that he had the picture but when in this kind of standstill situation the picture was shown in his wallet,

I thought that this one picture showed us so much at once.

Some people questioned if JH's feelings cooled down or if he gave up. In the time of 2 or 3 weeks' episodes, he was in a situation where he didn't get better nor could do anything so there will be people who think that he's frustrating to watch.

But that picture shows that he only gave up half and a long time passed but

When they took the picture and when he printed the picture and puts it into his wallet, it shows that his feelings didn't change a bit. Since he always wants to see DS's face he puts it into his wallet. Like lovers normally do.

Just how happy and proud must he have felt when he printed it and put it into his wallet?

Just like that, the meaning is already enough. But to JH, whom it's not easy to see DS often nowadays, the picture in his wallet must have been his only way to express his feelings for DS, the longing even if it's close, the frustration.

He can probably smile, cry and just show his feelings freely just to that picture.

But the cruel thing is.... his only secret escape was interrupted when his friend confessed. When he tried to hide his feelings with all his strengh, the comforting picture got him caught.

If this is not irony...

JH sticks around to see DS becoming happy again but.... since he likes her more and more that way my heart feels like it's teared apartㅠㅠ

Hide contents

http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=reply1988&no=395642&page=8&exception_mode=recommend

About why TK didn't cancel his confession because of JH's feelings towards DS but
because of his feelings towards JH.

Short version:

JH tries to hide his feelings for DS, TK isn't. But TK cancels his confession. Not because he now knows that JH likes DS. When he knew, he still planned to confess. But when he saw the picture in JH's wallet, he backed out. Why? The date on the picture is proof that JH liked DS way before TK told the boys. The fact that JH selflessly backed up for him, the meaning of that, the meaning of their friendship made him not able to confess anymore.ㅠㅠ

Reveal hidden contents

http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=reply1988&no=398181&page=1&exception_mode=recommend

The meaning of today's medicine

Medicine = Love

When DS got digestion TK gave her medicine. 
DS's dad gave BR medicine.
MK's dad gave her medicine and she gave it to her friends
TK ate medicine alone today ㅠㅠ
DS is the only one who tells him to not take so much medicine.

DR takes care of himself with reading a book on treatment instead of taking medicine lol

Damn you and this post LOL I wanted to stay in my why-did-I-wake-so-early-for-this negative Nacy mode till I rewatched the episode tomorrow and enjoy it (because much does happen and there so much to enjoy outside the OTP). Now I just want to love both boys like yesterday and damn this show for being so frustratingly good. I can't even stay mad at it even when I want LOL. Korean viewers insight is always a pleasure to read. Thank you and @blue_angel_1004for always translating and sharing. As soon as the wallet fell I knew something deep was coming from it but I didn't know it was like that...also didn't have subs so now everything with Taek and the timeline of decisions make sense. I'm still bitter over where we are and aren't this close to the end. Anyways again, thank you. 

Ep16 Songs

Love Is Like Glass -- Won JoonHee/(JunHui)  >> Song On TV When DS,JH,TK,SW & DR Watched

--->Live Performance What They Watched On TV

Butterfly Girl -- Kim SaeHwa(SeHwa)  >> Song While Trio Moms Waiting At Audition

Smiling Girls Are All Pretty -- Kim SeongHo  >> Song While JB&MO Having A Conversation

Ecstatic Proposal -- Yoon SoIl  >> Song That JH's Mom Danced

Always You're By My Side -- Kim HyeonShik (RIP) >> Song When Sad TK Calling DS On Phone

Ship's Siren -- Seoul Sisters >> Song That Ahjumma Sang In Audition

To DJ -- Yoon ShiNae(SiNae)  >> Song On TV That JH Dad Watched

Sad Fate -- NaMi >> Song That NE Sang In Audition / TK Crying

My thoughts on Episode 16:

1. The love triangle-

I thought about Taek's action on how he proceeded to ask DS out for a movie, presumably to confess, even after he saw how JH's eyes looked when he was looking at DS. At first, I thought it was because he suspected JH's feelings, but without the 100% certainty, he was choosing to dismiss it. And only when he saw the photo in JH's wallet was his suspicion confirmed. 

However, after some more thought, I came to the same conclusion reached by the DC galler shared by @lelee above. When he first learned that JH liked DS by looking into his eyes, as far as Taek was concerned, it was JH breaking the bro code by liking the same girl that TK publicly "claimed" that he was going to pursue in front of his friends. 

But upon discovering JH's photo in his wallet from Lee Mun Se's concert, it proved to Taek that JH too liked DS before he knew of Taek's feelings and JH only backed off because of him. It was because of this realization and how their friendship was just as important to Taek as it was to JH that he couldn't proceed to confess to DS.

Likewise, JH is a very quick guy. As soon as he learned that Taek asked DS to return his wallet, he feared that Taek may have seen the photo and learned of his secretly harbored feelings for DS. Upon learning that Taek did not meet DS for a movie as was originally planned, JH bit his lips. Now JH knows for certain that Taek knows of JH's feelings for DS and that that's why Taek too chose to back off just as he did. 

2. Sunwoo-Bora

All this time I was naive and thought it would be Bora who would ask to break up with Sunwoo upon deciding to pursue studying for the bar exam. However, I failed to take into account how much Bora's love for SW grew over their short relationship. 

And so when SW learned that BR will study for the bar exam and asked whether it meant they would break up, BR looked surprised and asked what did he mean. 

But the truth seems to be that studying for the bar and also maintaining the relationship will be extremely hard on BR. And... SW is so very much aware of it. I started to see that perhaps it might be SW who will no longer be able to bear watching BR feel guilty and pressured, and he may be the one to let her go. 

Why is the bar exam so much pressure on BR? Korean bar exam is notoriously difficult and has an extremely low passing rate. Even after graduating with a law degree from Seoul University, there's no guarantee that you will successfully pass the bar. (Hence, law degree is a very risky one in Korea.) Then how much harder it would be for BR who didn't major in law and already has such a late start compared to others? Other students who had their eyes on taking the bar would have started studying/preparing for the bar like their life depended on it from their college freshman year. This is not the case for BR who spent her college years as a math education major. 

Furthermore, due to the low passing rates, it is very common for extremely smart students to still have to take the bar exam multiple times before they finally pass it. (Many just end up never passing it.)

BR doesn't have that luxury. As the eldest, she is fully aware that her family had to make sacrifices so that BR can prepare for the bar exam. If she didn't opt to take the bar exam, she could have started working after college graduation to help out her family. Instead, she had to overhear Noeul asking his parents to send him to a good cram school and the parents asking him to wait because they didn't have much money left after paying for BR's gosiwon.  

This is the kind of pressure that BR is facing by choosing to pursue the bar exam. Does she have the "luxury" to worry about her relationship with SW as well? BR, I'm sure, will try to make it work. But SW, as he sees how BR suffers, I believe will choose to let her go. 

Archived