[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

Why aunties love Descendants Of The Sun

My friend S is in love.

For the past few weeks, she has been heading for a rendezvous on some mornings after her kids and husband are safely out of the way, in school or at work.

Her date? An army officer with boyish good looks and a winsome smile.

I'm talking, of course, about Special Forces Captain Yoo Si Jin, played by a magnetic Song Joong Ki, in the South Korean television drama Descendants Of The Sun.

"My heart really fluttered," S said as she re-enacted one of her favourite scenes in which our hero yanks out his earpiece, defying his superior who is barking orders from the command centre, so as to protect his doctor love interest from a posse of gun-wielding bodyguards.

descendants-of-the-sun-casts-alpha.jpg?i

S had gone on a viewing binge for several days in a row until she was up to speed with the 16-part hit, which has drawn more than two billion views in China for the latest episodes on online video platform iQiyi.

"We are all hoping Captain Yoo won't die," she sighed.

By the time you read this, S and her friends, who set up a Whatsapp chat group devoted to the show, would have learnt of his fate. The finale aired last Thursday in South Korea and a day later here via Viu, a free streaming service and app.

One of them even planned a viewing party last Friday to catch the last episode with her girlfriends, much like what men do during crucial World Cup matches with their pals.

These women, mostly mums, are not the only ajumma - a Korean term for older married women - smitten by Captain Yoo and the military romance set largely in a fictional war-torn country called Uruk.

elderly-couple52.jpg?itok=hJ_GUbB-

K, another friend, survived on two hours of sleep for two days as she devoured episode after episode.

She didn't think the fair Song with his spare frame was much of a macho leading man, going by the publicity stills. But, oh, you have to watch him in action, the mother of one urged.

And so I did, just to find out what the hype was all about (this is the excuse I'm sticking to).

Five days and 14 episodes later, I think I have the answer.

The story moves at a fast clip and crams enough real-world conflicts and concerns - terrorism, diplomatic tensions, an earthquake, a potential viral outbreak - to make for compelling watching.

Nearly all the actors acquit themselves well and charm with their chemistry.

11223475_1685405691732937_38085196197602

But it is, of course, the romantic story arc involving the main leads that has enchanted a whole brigade of women in or on the cusp of middle age.

We girls have always been suckers for a good love story that makes us smile, tear and cheer for the protagonists.

And after more than a few relationships under our (expanding) belt, we figure we are a good judge of which one is worth fighting for and will go the distance.

This one is sweet, chaste and funny all at once, minus weepy cliches such as a terminal disease and gratuitous make-out scenes that - tsk, tsk - debase a fledgling relationship.

The Asian cast and values render Descendants far more relatable and, perhaps, palatable than the usual Hollywood fare.

And then, of course, there is the smart, steely yet sensitive Mr Right that women fantasise about, a welcome diversion from whiny kids and/or a plateauing career.

Captain Yoo, who pulls off deadly secret missions and tender loving moves with equal aplomb, is the archetypal dashing hero who finds time in between to slip in flirty, funny one-liners.

But above all else, age might be the clincher here for us ajumma.

At 30, actor Song is old enough to make a middle-aged crush seem less icky. It also helps that his doe-eyed co-star Song Hye Kyo, who plays surgeon Kang Mo Yeon whom he falls for instantly, is four years older.

Personally, he looks a tad too young and clean-cut for my liking. But their connection is plausible and endearing enough for me to suspend all disbelief and forgive a plot that milks the damsel-in- distress trope bone dry.

Our plucky captain snatches the pretty doctor from the jaws of death time and again - a car hanging off a cliff, a field riddled with landmines and a bomb vest strapped on her by a nefarious gang. Seriously, just how many obstacles can the heavens hurl at the poor couple?

000_0.jpg?itok=74IOJcFb

Still, the prospect of a happily-ever-after in the arms of a strong, true and honourable man makes us swoon and the memories it stirs up of being so drunk on love once upon a time make us sigh.

Now ensconced in a stable domestic set-up in our 40s (give and take a few years), with kids in tow, we might be too old to hope for a fairy-tale romance, but are still young enough to dream the impossible.

I might be going through a mid-life crisis, S said with a laugh.

We are thankful for what we have, but perhaps wistful, too, for what could have been now that we are finally old enough to know what we want. Our salad days are over, our looks and dreams fading faster than we would like.

And so we lap up a love story like Descendants that is both enduring and exciting, living vicariously through Dr Kang as she is alternately romanced and rescued by Captain Yoo.

And then we hope that another sweet love story that ticks all the right boxes comes along soon, so we can once again escape our secure if staid lives and safely relive the thrill of those younger, heady days.

http://news.asiaone.com/news/showbiz/why-aunties-love-descendants-sun

***** Worth sharing... thoughts from an older's/ajumma's point of view.

• Like 19

10 hours ago, SkyKid said:

Not sure if it'll answer your question, but I and my bf started our relationship as friend, and 8 years has passed we still call each other the same way when we're friend. It literally become the nickname we call each other. You can see even if Captain Yoo has been promoted to a Major, when they're back to the shipwreck she still calls him Captain Yoo. Aside from that, the I - You between has changed, no more 저 but 나, which is informal language. So I think it's become the nickname for them, like she called him BigBoss and he called her Beauty sometimes, she even saved his name as BigBoss on her phone.

If any chance in the epilogue they had married, they might call each other different, like "hubby or wifey", ah, can't wait for next 3 special eps

I think I also heard MY said: "tangshin" several times while talking to SJ, if I am not mistaken during the scene where she said she will not object his job. I think it's mean "you" in Banmal? And she often drop the honorific too like saying "yaahhh" and "chakaman" without -yo.

What am I talking about, I don't even understand Korean. When they speak and I don't understand what the heck they are talking about, I be like... 

tumblr_o4w99x6dHB1r4xozno2_1280.jpg

cr: foodie27 

Argus, that's the only thing I learn from you, take Korean class as soon as possible. 

I miss DOTS... 

• Like 18

I still think they shouldn't toy with a classic.  The sequels  of Dream High and Iris never lived up to their predecessor.   I love DotS to death, and want to keep it there at 16 eps.  for me to repeat and cherish.   BTS and epilogue this week are fine,  it is technically  still part of the 16, including those that did not make it to the final cut.

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, hazeljrr_c922 said:

I still think they shouldn't toy with a classic.  The sequels  of Dream High and Iris never lived up to their predecessor.   I love DotS to death, and want to keep it there at 16 eps.  for me to repeat and cherish.   BTS and epilogue this week are fine,  it is technically  still part of the 16, including those that did not make it to the final cut.

yeah, no season 2 with different cast please, that sure will ruin DOTS, if they're able to have same cast for season 2, then I will watch it anyway even if there is nothing like blockbuster, but that is impossible, so ... no season 2 please :) 

or they can have SongSong and GooWon as 2 main OTP again for the original script about Doctor Without Border, that might turn out to be another hit too, SJK as a doctor :heart::wub::heart:

• Like 7

I know this might've been discussed (or not) so I'm begging anyone to share the pages where you guys talked about if MY and SJ already did "it". Because after all their pervy talks, seems like they went "that" far already. Lol 

PLEASE HELP. i want to read your thoughts and opinions. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, lovemetruly said:

I know this might've been discussed (or not) so I'm begging anyone to share the pages where you guys talked about if MY and SJ already did "it". Because after all their pervy talks, seems like they went "that" far already. Lol 

PLEASE HELP. i want to read your thoughts and opinions. 

lol I don't think they did! We did discuss it a bit when she mentioned "other stuff" they did, but I doubt it.

Well, I think they did on the Urk vacation.  She was much less reluctant to share a bed with him in the tent...and he had to feel what it was like to "wait" for her.  So after that and the promise to be together in this life and the next I feel  he finally got to cross that line in a small? hotel bed.  :P   Or on the beach...well who knows... ? 

• Like 19

1 hour ago, melissala said:

lol I don't think they did! We did discuss it a bit when she mentioned "other stuff" they did, but I doubt it.

Well, I think they did on the Urk vacation.  She was much less reluctant to share a bed with him in the tent...and he had to feel what it was like to "wait" for her.  So after that and the promise to be together in this life and the next I feel  he finally got to cross that line in a small? hotel bed.  :P   Or on the beach...well who knows... ? 

OMG! I never think that deep @melissala.

But i have to agree with you, somehow "MAYBE" the small bed made a big part in their first night together. 

ME: Painfully hurting! JONGMAL!!!  :bawling: 

tumblr_o5qg6qc0Aq1sp2kg8o4_250.gif

• Like 17

@melissala thank youuu. I think that too. She was referring to those life threatening and serious matters they had. But that part when she said "erotic" while he placed the chocolate inside the cup of hot milk then he became flustered and told her that it's still too early for that while she was smirking at him. I can't help but think that maybe they became naughty at some point. But not going all the way Lol judging how captain is always at her place and he kept on hinting to see her in a tub. :wub: 

please forgive me if i I am suddenly bringing this up again. I just want your opinions. Lol

• Like 12

@lovemetruly Omo....I never thought of that. Oh gosh...u had me blushing like crazy when u mention that scene. I think he asked smtg like, "Just put it in?" --> referring to the chocolate and KMY said it's erotic? And YSJ was like flustered and embarassed? Omo...is anyone thinking what I am thinking? Oh gosh. ..sorry. me and my pervy mind. Lol. 

Can't really tell if they did went that far. Dots is good at subtle hints. We just have to sort of guess in between. Did they sort of promise to get marry in the last kiss scene? Only date in next life right? 

• Like 11

ALPHA Team. Without them DOTS won't be the same. They walk like runway models. They take their work very seriously. They know the meaning of brotherly love. But once in awhile, they let their guard down and just be boys who want to have some fun.

tumblr_o5sal9O6OW1tmjt2ko10_400.giftumblr_o5sal9O6OW1tmjt2ko9_400.gif

tumblr_o5sal9O6OW1tmjt2ko2_400.giftumblr_o5sal9O6OW1tmjt2ko3_400.gif

Spoiler

tumblr_o5sal9O6OW1tmjt2ko8_400.giftumblr_o5sal9O6OW1tmjt2ko7_400.gif

tumblr_o5sal9O6OW1tmjt2ko1_400.giftumblr_o5sal9O6OW1tmjt2ko6_400.gif

tumblr_o5sal9O6OW1tmjt2ko4_400.giftumblr_o5sal9O6OW1tmjt2ko5_400.gif

cr heartou.tumblr.com

• Like 19

@CatWhiskers or maybe I'm just being too pervy. Lol maybe she's justing teasing and he's saying that it's too early for talking about that because they didn't do it yet. Waaaaah I don't know anymore. Just leave it in our interpretation right? But then during the tent scene he was at it again, hinting about sleeping together. Lol 

the shipwreck scene is also also a dead giveaway of their plans of marriage and being still together in their next lives. If that's not eternal love, then i dunno what it is. 

• Like 11