[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

4 hours ago, sanaeozora said:

Also, unpopular opinion: after having watched ep14 with eng subs, I have to say that I disagree with everyone who claims Shi-jin was insensitive. I know this is not a surprising statement since it seems I'm always here taking his side but, for once, the reason I'm saying this is simply because of Mo-yeon herself. Have you guys even seen what she's done this episode???? She positively thrived and looked infinitely alive when she was helping Shi-jin do his job by procuring a quiet spot where to talk with Senior Lieutenant Ahn, or ensuring the SD card got to Alpha Team first and not some government official. And this has been a crescendo trend since quite a few episodes back.

I'm honestly not surprised that Daddy Yoon thought she'd make a great soldier. Because she is at her awesomest when she's doing 'special forces' stuff. I swear, if she was properly trained she'd give Shi-jin a run for his money, but even without training, she's still capable of playing a crucial role in such a critical moment. I don't want to make her a victim, or worse a damsel in distress, she's strong enough not to need a hug or any consolation and we, as women, should be grateful that Writer-nim has decided to give her such a tough personality without making her lose an ounce of femininity.

And that last exchange between them where he asked her to stop being mad at him, am I seriously the only one who understands where he's coming from? He's just found out his BFF and brother-in-arms has decided to quit the army and he was almost the last one to find out, this, together with almost LOSING HIS LIFE and everything else that happened to him during the day, kind of takes a toll. Even if he's Captain Korea.

Please give him a break, after all, Mo-yeon has done it too, after asking him not to show up in front of her covered in blood ever again. And Shi-jin has received the orders loud and clear. Words cannot describe how happy I am to finally, at long last, we're seeing a couple that are first and foremost EQUALS and who form the best team ever who, with minimal effort, can even manage to help pave the future reunification of the two Koreas. That's badass.

I really love your take on it. I entirely agree with it. Some people did not enjoy these past two episodes but I did. YSJ not reacting to KMY's worries is possibly because he is first a soldier. He is worried about his friend, a soldier, a person who he understands. His NK friend almost died and so did he, but imagine that feeling of being unable to save your friend dying right infront of your eyes? Plus, if it means your country, who you serve day and night for will be in danger because of it, I'm sure as a soldier, that is going to be the only thing on your mind. Yeah, maybe he couldve hugged KMY but he's got a lot on his plate right now (SDY leaving the army, his NK friend, his injuries, his worried girlfriend, paying for the windows). Like give the guy a break. Yeah, I do get that every preview we get, we always think someone is going to die, which is really annoying. But thats what makes us watch right? To find out whats going to happen, who will live, who will die, and who's love will survive all odds. 

I think episode 15 will be relatively similar to this. We'll get the cute scenes, the emotional scenes, then the intense scenes and then the end. I dont think anyone is going to die but someones life being in danger is highly likely. I think both YSJ and SDY will go missing or they will sacrifice themselves and let the other Alpha team members escape but in reality, they'll be fine and escape whenever rescue arrives, etc. KMY will get a taste of being soldier's girlfriend for the first time as she will have to be away from him. Before, she was away from him but she could still see him in action. He was near her. Now, he is going far away and she will have time to think seriously about how being a soldier's girlfriend really is. Does she love him enough to want to marry him? Will she be able to wait countless nights? As of now, KMY keeps on getting stronger, she does not whine, she speaks her mind, most of the time and most importantly, she doesn't say let's rethink our relationship everytime something happens. 

Before I end this huge rant or whatever, in the preview for ep 15 where we hear SDY agreeing to go out to battle as an order from YMJ's father, I think this will be the last draw in the father and daughter relationship. If something happens to SDY, and YMJ finds out it was her fathers orders to send him far away, she may just stop being his daughter or calling her father, father. We will have to see what happens! Please keep watching the drama!!! DOTS FIGHTING!! 

• Like 20

If the male lead (YSJ) didn't die in the last episode then this drama definitely the best action K-drama to date. Episode 13-14 were very exciting and well deserved 1st place. Can't wait to watch the last 2 episodes live and hopefully it's a happy ending story. :w00t:

• Like 14

55 minutes ago, melissala said:

Watching the preview, there's no damn way in my mind that Sergeant Choi is there to give MY bad news about SJ. If they had to deliver news of SJ being dead or MIA to her, they wouldn't get him to do it of all people. DY or MJ would be the one who would tell her.  It's totally a troll scene.  

I thought his wife is also a doctor? It was revealed by Harry Potter and Piccolo when they witnessed the two couples fight because of parcel from the stewardess. Sergeant Choi said she didn't like KMY and leave the two alone. Then, one of the two alpha team members (I can't remember who) said Sergeant Choi's wife is also a doctor like KMY. Maybe she worked at Heesung Hospital too?

Plot twist: it might be either Dr. Kim or Dr. Pyo.. haha

• Like 5

I didn't feel he was being insensitive to her.  They had their moments in the stairwell, and in the evening watching the movie and falling asleep spooning.  And the way his eyes soften just looking at her regardless of the situation,  Think of it this way.  Call of duty has its exigencies from time to time, be it a doctor, soldier, or office worker.   If I had  just barely beat a deadline  on an important work project and need to run  to present it to the Board  a few minutes later,    I cannot at that moment answer any personal calls til after the presentation.    It doesn't mean I love work ahead of family.  i have my priorities straight;  family loves and stays with me whatever happens to my work or career. 

Nice how this is woven into the story and it is understood that whatever comes, our main OTP will make their relationship work. 

• Like 11

First time in my working life did I wish my journey to work dosen't end... so engrossed catching up epi 14 I don't wanna get off the train! 

I love this epi a lot... of cos mainly because big boss's alive. Heck the fact that he was almost like unhurt! So long he is alive! But my fragile heart cannot take the wait till the next one - camping scene! And I really hope the last bit of the trailer is not SDY or YSJ... :confounded:

Epi 14 is also so funny, esp how the doc fainted when SDY told him he almost licked a posion "pen"! Super super love the comedy scene of SDY and YSJ, the sissy part and how YSJ claimed that SDY said "omo" too! HAHA! And oh, the "he can't take his pants off part"  Too funny! :D

I love how puppy-eye SJ is towards MY's nagging. Are all S.Koreans men like that in real life? Just a thought! :lol:

Peeps, can tell me which episode is this the below from? I can't seem to remember.... I wana rewatch it! 

MY: Even if you told me the jokes, I'm still upset. I'm really worry

SJ : Exclude the concern about me in all of your concerns

MY: Please take good care of Captain Yoo, I'm very fond of him. Tell me when you are back

• Like 9

Captain's charisma: Song Joong Ki sets female hearts aflutter

tumblr_o57g7cdsLj1tjt42ro1_1280.jpg

South Korean actor Song Joong Ki has been setting female hearts aflutter with his suave turn as an all-action special operations soldier in the hit drama Descendants Of The Sun.

Even his A-list co-star Song Hye Kyo, who plays his love interest Kang Mo Yeon, confesses she has felt her heart palpitate when watching her character being wooed by his Captain Yoo Si Jin.

Recalling a memorable line in a scene where the officer seizes the initiative to kiss Dr Kang, she says: "There are many great lines from the drama. I think many great lines came from Yoo Si Jin, not from my character.

"'Should I confess my love or apologize?' That was the line he said (after the kiss) that made my heart flutter.

"We wrapped up filming in December and the drama started to air in February. Since we didn't watch the end product during filming, I watched the drama while thinking of myself as Kang Mo Yeon. My heart fluttered when I heard that line."

The 34-year-old actress and Song Joong Ki, 30, were in Hong Kong on Tuesday to attend a press event for Descendants.

The stars were promoting the drama that will air on new Hong Kong channel ViuTV. When they arrived at the airport, they were greeted by hundreds of fans, according to reports.

In Singapore, the 16-episode series is available for free on K-drama streaming site viu.com and its app on smart devices.

But promoting the 13 billion won (S$15 million) drama hardly seems to be necessary.

Descendants - which superimposes an old-fashioned romance drama on a war-themed action thriller and imbues it with comic elements - has garnered top ratings across the region.

In Seoul, where episodes 11 and 12 aired last week, it scored ratings above the 30 per cent share of the audience, surpassing the numbers of another Korean global hit, My Love From The Star, in 2013.

It received more than two billion views on the Chinese streaming site iQiyi. The first four episodes of the drama were watched more than 300 million times on iQiyi and, after eight episodes, the drama broke the one-billion milestone.

In Hong Kong and Singapore, Descendants is the most-watched show on the Viu online service. Last month, more than 60 per cent of Viu's viewers in Singapore and Hong Kong tuned in to watch it.

Song Hye Kyo found the script, which was filmed in Greece standing in for a fictional war-torn country called Urk, to be a page- turner when she first received it.

She says: "The relationship between a doctor and a soldier intrigued me.

"When I read the script for the first time, I found I could read it as fast as if it were a comic book. That's when I realised it would be a fun drama that many people would fall in love with."

According to reports, screenwriter Kim Eun Sook - the creator of successful dramas such as The Inheritors (2013), Secret Garden (2010) and Lovers In Paris (2004) - reworked the script by Kim Won Suk, another screenwriter, beefing up the love story.

Indeed, Descendants may be chock-a-block with action - as Captain Yoo engages in hand- to-hand combat with North Korean soldiers, rescues hostages from terrorists and tangles with nefarious gunrunners -

but Song Joong Ki believes that the drama is ultimately a romance.

He says: "You can see different kinds of scenes in the drama - there's action, there're earthquakes. But we still consider it a romantic drama.

"There are many couples like me and Hye Kyo as well as (the second leads) Jin Goo and Kim Ji Won in the drama. I hope the viewers would focus on the cute stories of those couples."

Between the romances and gunfights, the cast also has plenty of time for comedy, which often had the stars in stitches while the camera was rolling.

Song Hye Kyo says: "The characters aren't very serious at times. So you'll see funny parts here and there. Joong Ki and I both laughed a lot. We had to stop filming sometimes because we were laughing too hard. I remember how bad I felt for the crew at the shoot."

Perhaps part of the drama's success can be attributed to the adequate time given to the cast and crew to finish the production.

Typically, Korean dramas go to air even as filming is ongoing. Descendants, in contrast, wrapped up filming in December before it premiered in South Korea and China in February.

Song Joong Ki explains that an advantage of this arrangement is that there was time for discussions without the pressure of a tight filming deadline looming over cast and crew.

"We had enough time to communicate and work with one another. I liked the fact that we had a more relaxed setting. That's what I liked the most about doing this drama," he says.

He should be pleased that he fought for and scored the role of Captain Yoo.

Mr Kim Woo Taek, chief executive of New Entertainment World, which produced Descendants, has said there were other "superstar candidates" for the role.

He added that Song, who had previously starred in television dramas such as Sungkyunkwan Scandal (2010), "has a relatively weak image", which is the opposite of the manly Captain Yoo.

Of course, fans of Descendants - especially female ones - would disagree, now that they have seen Song being all alpha male and topless on a few occasions.

The same fans would also have savoured the scenes of other topless muscular soldiers on their routine morning jogs.

Song Hye Kyo's Dr Kang is among the admirers of those hunky soldiers in the show.

In real life, the actress says, the cast wanted the scenes to end as soon as possible. She reveals: "It was very cold when the soldiers shot the scene as it was winter. They had a really hard time. We wanted to wrap up the filming quickly for the sake of the boys."

Although pretty boy Song Joong Ki - who was clothed during the jogging scenes - felt sorry for his on-screen subordinates, he too confesses: "On the other hand, looking at those muscular actors made me jealous."

http://news.asiaone.com/news/showbiz/captains-charisma-song-joong-ki-sets-female-hearts-aflutter#sthash.JLPeUJxP.dpuf

• Like 20

WHAT? The name on the tombstone is Ryu Si Jin. Not YOO Si jin. So it’s not him guy. Our big boss won’t die. He’s superman remember? He survive without immediate surgery and even managed to get up still all bloody and weak to talk to the NK guy. So no he’s not gonna die. NO!

• Like 9

i feel quiet disappointed and my excitement to live stream the episode is decreasing rapidly ever since they comeback from Urk.

I suspect that they make the plot go to Korea becoz need to finish their so-many PPL scene ._. 

and i also feel quiet disappointed about how the drama seems ridiculous and i quiet taken aback by the scene that SJ directly can get up and see the north korean make a fuss... after got cardiac arrest O_______________O.... ok maybe its drama so i cant think too much but still O___O 

in other side, i really hope the upcoming latest 2 episodes didn't disappoint me.

have a good weekend, guys!!!!! cant wait for our last Wed-Thurs ;~~:

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, ikutsukeakua said:

I thought his wife is also a doctor? It was revealed by Harry Potter and Piccolo when they witnessed the two couples fight because of parcel from the stewardess. Sergeant Choi said she didn't like KMY and leave the two alone. Then, one of the two alpha team members (I can't remember who) said Sergeant Choi's wife is also a doctor like KMY. Maybe she worked at Heesung Hospital too?

Plot twist: it might be either Dr. Kim or Dr. Pyo.. haha

Sgt Choi's wife runs a store if I am not mistaken, it was all in one quick sentence after the 3 men talked after the  confession on loudspeaker..

• Like 6

Just now, ewff said:

I'm glad to see more positive comments about episode 14 after people watch the engsub. That's why I always think we should watch the sub first before we judge. 

Yes, I am eating my words too, just finish the sub & I loved it especially what they did to bring the separated families from two countries together.

oh.. The bromance is superb!!! Jin-Goo should act in a comedy soon!!

• Like 13

Spoiler

201604072147777030_570668bdd883f_99_2016

Article: 'Descendants of the Sun' Song Song couple, every episode has variety... romance like sweet rain

Source: OSEN via Naver

1. [+12,788, -186] He was shot at multiple times and his heart even stopped but he got up right away. A bit ridiculous but he looked cool in the car sliding scene.

2. [+7,416, -106] Ah, the next episode preview ㅠㅠ so hard to hope for a happy ending

3. [+6,285, -141] Love seeing Song Joong Ki so head over heels for Song Hye Gyo~~!

4. [+5,370, -118] The next episode preview makes me so nervous..

5. [+2,001, -48] Today's episode was all about Song Joong Ki's car sliding in the gun fight scene

-

Source: Nate

1. [+1,127, -26] The way he got up and walked around after getting shot was so unrealistic ㅋㅋ but still, I smiled the whole episode over Song Joong Ki and Jin Goo's chemistry ㅋㅋㅋ

2. [+1,124, -33] Kyaaah! That scene at the start of the gun fight where Yoo Shi Jin slides on his car

3. [+1,035, -19] He was near death but got up after 5 minutes to worry about others ㅜㅜ what a drama ㅋㅋㅋ

4. [+58, -4] For a pre-produced drama, the story leaves much to be desired ㅋㅋ

-

Spoiler

201604080116212410_1.jpg

Article: Song Joong Ki, was he really shot? 'confused and surprised'

Source: Newsen via Nate

1. [+461, -3] He looked like he was moments away from death but got better faster than recovering from a cold~~~!!!!!! ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

2. [+395, -9] I'm a fan of the drama but the episode yesterday lacked a lot of probability

3. [+236, -16] The way he got up could only happen in a drama. But even then, all my mom could notice was how he looked pretty even in a patient gown ㅎ

4. [+31, -2] His heart wasn't beating just a second before but he suddenly starts talking, then gets up to sit, then runs to the scene... How can a patient who was shot not even go through surgery and just put on a few bandages and get up to walk around? Zero reality, complete fantasy scene

5. [+30, -0] What is this, some comic book? He got shot at least three times and his heart had stopped but he suddenly gets up???? I get that this is a drama but at least show us something plausible like if he was wearing a bulletproof vest...

6. [+26, -1] A characteristic of the scriptwriter... the plot gets looser and looser as it goes on ㅋㅋ

-

• Like 7

@razledgoose

• Actually finish ther first date/ movie ( well .... somehow)

This part somehow I put as a "fresh" cliffhanger. Such in KMY's monologue either the movie will have a happy or sad ending? I will wait patiently for Dots ending without put any expectation and prediction...:P:P:P:P:P

• Like 6

Spoiler

dd2.jpg

Osen- Naver: 'Descendants of the Sun', variety in every epsisode.. Romance that's like a much-needed rain 

1. [+12,406, -183] I thought it was kinda ridiculous that he was able to get up after he was shot several times but the car sliding scene is so cool

2. [+9,272, -149] What's with Sergeant Choi's facial expression in the preview? Stop scaring me

3. [+7,263, -106] The preview ㅠㅠㅠ Is a happy ending really that hard?

4. [+6,119, -140] Song Joong Ki looks so cute when Song Hye Kyo leaves him flustered~~!

5. [+5,245, -115] The preview makes me nervous...

6. [+2,045, -29] Random but don't you think the naengmyun ahjusshi's North Korean accent is really good?? ㅋㅋ He just seemed like a North Korean person

7. [+1,959, -47] Song Joong Ki's car sliding scene was amazing

8. [+1,784, -23] Stop going to the department store ㅜㅜ

9. [+1,585, -27] Ah please.. I hope Sergeant Choi's just being used for a marriage proposal

Naver
1. [+1,462, -40] Hul, what's happening in the preview? Is it a sad ending? ㅠㅠ How am I supposed to week until next week?

2. [+1,228, -38] What're you doing to us in the preview?

3. [+1,404, -16] What's up with the preview?

4. [+1,074, -12] The preview ㅠㅠ

5. [+379, -9] I can guarantee that the last 2 episodes will be 100% romance. They will go to Uruk and have a kiss scene there

Spoiler

hh55.jpg

Osen - Naver: 'Descendants of the Sun', Is it too hard to give Song Song couple a happy ending 

1. [+2,533, -99] Give us more lovey dovey scenes of them now!!! Have the American army take care of world peace

2. [+1,769, -40] It's ending next week, can't there be more peaceful moments?ㅠㅠ

3. [+1,565, -43] Please let it be a happy ending

4. [+1,503, -39] Sergeant Choi's facial expression is making me anxious ㅠㅠ  How do I wait another week? ㅠㅠ

5. [+1,191, -53] The episodes always go from sad, romantic and then suspenseful

6. [+303, -6] This drama tells us that a relationship between two special forces is hard let alone marrying each other. Viewers are tired too

7. [+304, -6] Yoo Shijin gets up immediately while in cardiac arrest, goes to the mall and doesn't even get a surgery ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ He never dies, he's a Terminator ㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎ

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, hazeljrr_c922 said:

Sgt Choi's wife runs a store if I am not mistaken, it was all in one quick sentence after the 3 men talked after the  confession on loudspeaker..

Yup, She has a successful business, makes more money and is pretty like KMY hence his apprehension on KMY and YSJ.. LOL

• Like 5

I love how netizens aren't even mad that SJ is the terminator.  He's Captain Yoo, he can't die. 

2 minutes ago, inshara2000 said:

1. [+2,533, -99] Give us more lovey dovey scenes of them now!!! Have the American army take care of world peace

Yes, please.

• Like 11