[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

@Jalhanda  haha I meant the gray shirt since we'd know that kiss is coming up,  but omg I didn't even think of her wearing his shirt.  Your mind goes to good places. :D  Can you imagine.....  :wub:   It would be adorable on her since she's so tiny.  I think SJ would lose his mind... 

• Like 16

Hey guys im not sure if this been shared here :blush:

Writer Kim Eun Sook's leading men + Onew's acting in 'Descendants of the Sun'

Spoiler
n2.jpg

n3.jpg

n4.jpg

n5.jpg

Osen - Naver: Han Ki Joon --> Kim Joo Won --> Yoo Shijin, listing Kim Eun Sook's heart fluttering male leads 

1. [+6,112, -118] They're all cool

2. [+6,029, -161] Captain Yoo Shijin is cool ❤

3. [+5,146, -540] Kim Joo Won is number 1 in my heart

4. [+3,420, -149] 'Lovers in Paris', to this day, is a masterpiece

5. [+3,126, -85] They're all awesome. Writer Kim Eun Sook is jjang jjang jjang ㅋㅋㅋ

6. [+808, -18] These actors managed to deliver cheesy lines like "Let's go baby" or "Since when have you been so pretty?"ㅋㅋㅋㅋ

7. [+777, -36] Secret Garden doesn't feel like it aired a long time ago, it's still so fun if you watch it today ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ In conclusion, Kim Eun Sook is a writer you can trust

8. [+735, -33] Hyun Bin was no joke during Secret Garden.  I wouldn't be exaggerating if I said it's one of the best dramas I've watched ㅠㅠ DotS is jjang, I love Song Joongki in it ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ

9. [+659, -33] What about Seo Dae Young? Jin Goo makes my heart flutter too

Spoiler

h52.jpg

Osen - Naver; 'Descendants of the Sun', He's not a rookie actor, his name is Onew 

1. [+225, -8] He's good in that role ㅋㅋㅋㅋ

2. [+213, -6] He's playing an immature young master right now and I wonder how his character will develop. Onew's good and cute at it

3. [+207, -8] The role's perfect for him. His acting's good, he's cute and he gives the drama a bubbly vibe

4. [+161, -4] Onew is cute ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

5. [+87, -2] Everyone's so serious and quiet in this drama but Chi Hoon brightens up the mood. Looking forward to more of his actingㅋㅋ

6. [+83, -2] He doesn't overdo his acting, he's doing really well~ He's got this intelligent air about him too..

7. [+77, 0] He's the mood makerㅋㅋㅋ

source

• Like 20

4 minutes ago, melissala said:

@Jalhanda  haha I meant the gray shirt since we'd know that kiss is coming up,  but omg I didn't even think of her wearing his shirt.  Your mind goes to good places. :D  Can you imagine.....  :wub:   It would be adorable on her since she's so tiny.  I think SJ would lose his mind... 

Hahahaha! @melissala my mind works fast these days...at the same rate with how this thread is going. I edited my post reply just to be clear about it...but again...if I may insist...my first interpretation maybe popular for those who wants romance to the next level :).

• Like 11

Yohooo ! Hello everyone ! It's been a long long time since I was excited about a Kdrama ! 

I'm up to Ep 4. I love the directing and cinematography ! The scenes are beautiful, with perfect timing and soundtrack. My favourite scene is still at Urk International Airport where Solider Yoo walked out wearing his rayban (yup, even beat the kiss scene) ! He is too cool ! SHK's timeless beauty need no mention and she's a veteran actress.

The OTP was attracted to each other based on physical traits but gets more enthralled with each other as they learn about each other. Dr Kang rejecting Soldier Yoo after 2 failed dates was to me, a realistic response considering the physics of KdramaLand. I am just a bit :sweatingbullets: for the expected angst usually between episodes 7-12 of most kdramas. 

I read some earlier comments about SJK in Nice Guy - I think it's not apple-to-apple comparison. That character was in sadness and revenge mode almost throughout so the mood is very dark. Soldier Yoo has much more advantages, young, handsome, uniform, flirty....not to mention plenty of chances to show off his 6packs :wub: 

Anyone knows the significance of the title ? Descendants of the Sun ? Initially, I thought it was some joseon drama about fighting for throne :blink:

• Like 10

2 hours ago, shksjk said:

aaawww @luvsjk2dmoonnback ive been thinking a lot about it too...so basically both kes and kyo herself were like giving encouragement and hints to our shy sexy precious innocent man nice guy cheeky captain...well then what you're waiting for joongki ssi...go for it, follow your heart and make a move :heart:

With 'supernova level' chemistry in front of camera, no wonder even the best actor/actress inevitably sometimes involve his/her feelings. There are already many examples:-), thank you for replying my comment, feel not alone shipping them:heart:

• Like 7

(News Focus) Crossing borders and genres, 'Descendants of the Sun' wows viewers

SEOUL, March 7 (Yonhap) -- For the increasingly globe-trotting viewers here and elsewhere, the new TV series "Descendants of the Sun" offers sceneries they can identify with and a storyline they would love to claim as their own.

It isn't the first series to provide that combo, but its unexpected popularity has got producers and TV critics analyzing what set the show apart from its predecessors. By its fourth episode on Thursday, 24.1 percent of viewers were tuning in to the show, a huge proportion given that few series in the same time slot have crossed the 10 percent line in recent years.

The series begins in the thick overgrown fields of the two Koreas' demilitarized border zone before taking the two lead protagonists to a fictional war-torn country called Uruk. There, against the backdrop of sandy beaches and the sparkling Mediterranean Sea, a special forces soldier and a doctor fall in love while fighting to save lives.

Some may call it corny, but the tension in the characters' lines and physical surroundings creates a blend of action and melodrama in just the right proportions.

Behind that mix are the writers -- Kim Eun-sook, known as the Queen of Rom-Coms, and Kim Won-seok, known for his work on action and "masculine" productions.

"Kim Eun-sook hit it off (with Kim Won-seok) and her unique color clearly rubbed off," said chief producer Bae Kyung-soo.

At a press conference last month, Kim Eun-sook echoed those remarks.

"I often heard that I was copying myself, so I tried to get away from that," she said. "When I added my colors to Kim Won-seok's rather heavy frame, it became very entertaining."

Shown above is a poster of the KBS TV series "Descendants of the Sun." (Yonhap) Shown above is a poster of the KBS TV series "Descendants of the Sun." (Yonhap)

As with all big-scale productions, budget issues and technical aspects are also thought to have contributed to the series' success.

Unlike other South Korean dramas, the series was entirely pre-recorded in order to allow for its simultaneous broadcasting in China, a huge market for Korean pop culture.

Industry experts estimate that the show was sold for between US$250,000 and $300,000 per episode to the Chinese online video platform iQiyi. Although the series' broadcaster KBS has not revealed the exact price, under that estimate, more than a third of the production cost would have been covered by so-called "China money."

"There were pre-recorded dramas in the past, but they were filmed without the guarantee of being aired, and in most cases, the cast and writers were weak," Bae said. "'Descendants of the Sun' was different from those productions from the start because it was the first pre-recorded drama that targeted the Chinese market. It was born out of a change in the market environment."

A total of 13 billion won ($10.8 million) went into the series' production, which comes down to about 800 million won per episode in the 16-part series. That far exceeds the average 400 million won spent on similar mini-series in recent years.

Production officials say about 65 percent of the drama was set overseas, so a significant portion of the budget went into actual filming in Greece and creating a film set depicting Uruk in the mountains of South Korea's Gangwon Province.

Computer graphics also took up a sizable portion of the costs, as the drama later involves an earthquake and rescue operations in the aftermath, according to Bae.

Cost-wise, it's hard not to mention the fact that Song Joong-ki, who plays the Army captain, and Song Hye-kyo, the outspoken doctor, are some of the highest-paid actors.

Of course, it's early to say whether "Descendants of the Sun" will continue its upward climb, given that other series that started strong have often fizzled out toward the end.

A good indicator of its future could be the number of viewer clicks it receives on the Chinese video platform, but no data has been released yet.

"Descendants of the Sun" airs on KBS 2 TV on Wednesdays and Thursdays at 10 p.m.

hague@yna.co.kr

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news/2016/03/07/0200000000AEN20160307008500315.html?input=www.tweeter.com

• Like 24

Well they already established the fact that our Soldier duo adopted Kim Ki Bum. This two are like parents to him.

DY is like a dad. He is always proud of his son. "He is good in my eyes". Asking Sergent Choi to look after him and all. Also saving Ki Bum from SJ.:bawling:

And SJ is like a mom. A bit strict. "If you are going to do something bad, don't do it in front of me":bawling: and complaining to DY about Ki Bum.:bawling:

This is probably a pointless post but I just really like KB LOL. Also the waiting is not helping much. "Wednesday, can you hear me? Wednesday?”....no answer.

• Like 22

16 minutes ago, anakgajah said:

This thread moves on average 8-10pages/day.. Tomorrow gonna be crazy i expect bout 20 pages and and Wednesday/thursday would be about 30pages hahahaha

do you think 1000 pages possible???

I think we can.  100 pages a week is about what we are averaging that now, and we haven't gotten into the good stuff yet.   We have almost 6 weeks left.  That's 600 pages or so.  We already have almost 250 pages.  That would be over 800 pages.  Yeah, we'll hit 1000 pages. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, melissala said:

@hafunohane Welcome to the thread.  We don't share ships this time. :P  But there's no fighting so it's all good. :sweatingbullets:

On another note, I totally think she's the one who makes the move on him in the scene.  She seems to be looking at him like he usually looks at her.  Am I making sense?  Delusional?  Maybe...

gif link if you can't see it http://postimg.org/image/66lgrs5fr/

I'm going to see so excited when I see her wear that shirt. 

@melissala yes absolutly right, i think your not delulu ... im excited already... 

• Like 7

oh my im having a hard time catching up with the way DoTs thread is moving , thanks DoTs troopers for your awesome posts/updates though 2 more sleep to go for episode 5 yet this thread never stops , its always on festive mode though at times there were "lost souls" who ruin this lively thread but still real Dots troopers wont be affected by their nonsense rants ! DoTs fighting - loving the way the story goes plus the breathtaking scenery , nice OSTs , the whole casts performance from main leads, 2nd leads and other supporting actors !

as of now for sure everyone wonders how DoTs will end , especially with the lovestory of the main and second couple, for me of course I would love to see a happy ending for both couples but then we are not in control , we'll just wait and see but if I have the power of KES the ending would be the return of the main couple YSJ and KMY to that beautiful bewitched shipwrecked island and they would have their last kiss scene there , I might as well fully utilized the breathtaking beach side scenery as the backdrop, its just my delulu!!!

7763f3d1gw1f1odkglfy2j20j60y3q7i.jpg

credit:weibo/owner of pic

as far as I can remember with that beach scene when YSJ gave KMY that pebble , is it only KMY that have that pebble coz it didn't showed that YSJ picked up another pebble for himself and I was thinking that it will only be KMY who will go back to that island as what the legend said or it might be that YSJ already got a pebble way before getting another pebble for KMY????? oh it would be sad if only KMY would go back to that island and just reminisce her moments with YSJ, hope it wont be that way ! or its gonna be a surprise  that YSJ is already there waiting for KMY to return to that island?????

https://igcdn-photos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/t51.2885-15/sh0.08/e35/p750x750/12797720_1053213041388613_1296527646_n.jpg

credit:owner of pic

• Like 19

On 3/4/2016 at 8:45 PM, sunblind said:

YESSS I knew he was going to kiss her because he kept staring at her so intently and you can just feel the tension and chemistry in the room. 

I LOVE IT. I love how the drama and dialogue was written in such a way that it has already infiltrated our senses. I felt as though I was in that room together with them, I could hear the raindrops at the background, feel the chill and humidity in the air, and also the sizzling chemistry between these 2 people. 

Also, don't you feel that Shi Jin totally walked to that pillar and posed like that on purpose?? He was TOTALLY posing for her. Man, I love how he knows he's good looking and makes good use of it. Mo Yeon did notice and ended up complimenting him in a dress uniform. Mo Yeon was speaking for all the fangirls on this thread!!

Yeah, glad we both think the same but I'm sure that all of reader in this forum will also agree with us, LOLZ :D Anyway sorry for the late reply becoz I'm not able to see the notification, that's why I'm just being a silent reader for the past 3 days while waiting for the next episode to come, hehe

Can't wait to see how the kiss will go, is it french kiss or only fish kiss? what do u guys think?? hahaha sorry for my pervert comment, bian he :blush:

• Like 9

25 minutes ago, plappi said:

6 Lines by Song Joong Ki in “Descendants of the Sun” That You Should Never Try at Homejun2yng March 7, 2016

Films and dramas are often praised for their realistic qualities: representations of real relationships, real issues, real people, etc. On the other hand, some — many — can’t do without what is not real: invincible main characters, masks that hide 10 percent of a character’s face but 100 percent of the character’s identity, etc. Of course this all depends on the nature of the film or drama.

In the case of “Descendants of the Sun,” it’s smooth banter laced with cringe. Through and through. All acceptable — and quite fun, really — if only for the fact that it’s a drama, and, come on, the Song-Song couple. Moreover, the setting and premise of the drama, which takes in part takes place in the fictional country of Uruk, sets the tone for this type of dialogue — dialogue you’d never hear in real life outside of jokes/creeps.

lmao i love this article so true haha

his words...i can't...just can't:P

• Like 7