[Mainland Chinese Drama 2014-2015] The Empress of China 武媚娘传奇

sugarplum892

Source: Wacow
Translated by: Chloe.C

TVB Ratings Report (06/01/2015 - 06/07/2015)

Dramas
The Empress of China - 武則天 (EPS 35-39) - 25 PTS *MONDAY TO FRIDAY EPISODES

Come Home Love - 愛.回家 (EPS 780-784) - 23 PTS (Peaking at 26 PTS)

Wudang Rules - 潮拜武當 (EPS 6-10) - 23 PTS

Weekend Episodes
The Empress of China - 武則天 (EPS 41) - 24 PTS *AIRED ON SUNDAY

The Empress of China - 武則天 (EPS 40) - 20 PTS *AIRED ON SATURDAY

Variety Shows
Good Cheap Eats 3 - 食平3D - 22 PTS

Sunday Songbird - SUNDAY靚聲王 - 21 PTS

Neighbourhood Gourmet 3 - 街坊廚神舌戰新台韓 - 20 PTS

Eating Well with Madam Wong 2 - 吾淑吾食 - 19 PTS

Scoop - 東張西望 - 17 PTS

World's Great Parties: India - 過節 印度色彩節 - 17 PTS

Sze You Tonight - 今晚睇李 - 16 PTS

Go Green - GoGreen世代 - 11 PTS

(Nielsen TAM: 1 point represents 64,920 viewers)

• 2 weeks later...

Dramas
The Empress of China - 武則天 (EPS 49-53) - 26 PTS *MONDAY TO FRIDAY EPISODES

Wudang Rules - 潮拜武當 (EPS 16-20 END) - 23 PTS (Peaking at 26 PTS)

Come Home Love - 愛.回家 (EPS 790-794) - 22 PTS

Weekend Episodes
The Empress of China - 武則天 (EP 55) - 29 PTS (Peaking at 30 PTS) *AIRED ON SUNDAY

The Empress of China - 武則天 (EP 54) - 23 PTS *AIRED ON SATURDAY

Variety Shows
Sunday Songbird - SUNDAY靚聲王 - 25 PTS

Good Cheap Eats 3 - 食平3D - 22 PTS

Neighbourhood Gourmet 3 - 街坊廚神舌戰新台韓 - 21 PTS

Eating Well with Madam Wong 2 - 吾淑吾食 - 19 PTS

Scoop - 東張西望 - 17 PTS

Sze You Tonight - 今晚睇李 - 17 PTS

World's Great Parties: Japan - 過節 濱松祭 - 14 PTS

Fun Relax Carnival - 大愛共融齊分享 - 9 PTS

Guest phyllisgst

Where can i get the original version the uncut version basically the full version I. M so crazy about this show. N what makes me more angry n crazier is the stupid filem negara malaysia cut all the best part n like some of you said that how can wu mei Niang suddenly pregnant with zhi  nu child n not li shi  min the older emperor. So confused?!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Source: Wacow @ Blog163 

TVB Ratings Report (06/22/2015 - 06/28/2015)

Dramas
The Empress of China - 武則天 (EPS 56-60) - 27 PTS (Peaking at 32 PTS) *MONDAY TO FRIDAY EPISODES

Master of Destiny - 風雲天地 (EPS 1-5) - 24 PTS (Peaking at 29 PTS)

Come Home Love - 愛.回家 (EPS 795-799) - 22 PTS

Weekend Episodes
The Empress of China - 武則天 (EP 61) - 27 PTS *AIRED ON SUNDAY

*No Saturday Episode due to charity show

Variety Shows
Sunday Songbird - SUNDAY靚聲王 - 22 PTS

Hungry for Health - 食得健康嗎? - 22 PTS

Neighbourhood Gourmet 3 - 街坊廚神舌戰新台韓 - 21 PTS

Scoop - 東張西望 - 18 PTS

Sze You Tonight - 今晚睇李 - 17 PTS

World's Great Parties: Thailand - 過節 濱松祭 - 15 PTS

Caritas Charity Show - 明愛暖萬心 - 15 PTS

Fun Relax Carnival - 大愛共融齊分享 - 9 PTS

TVB Ratings Report (06/29/2015 - 07/05/2015)

Dramas
The Empress of China - 武則天 (EPS 62-66) - 28 PTS (Peaking at 32 PTS) *MONDAY TO FRIDAY EPISODES

Come Home Love - 愛.回家 (EPS 800-804) - 24 PTS (Peaking at 27 PTS)

Master of Destiny - 風雲天地 (EPS 6-10) - 22 PTS (Peaking at 26 PTS)

Weekend Episodes
The Empress of China - 武則天 (EP 67) - 28 PTS *AIRED ON SUNDAY

*No Saturday Episode due to Commercial Awards Ceremony

Specials
TVB Most Popular TV Commercial Awards - TVB最受歡迎廣告頒獎典禮 - 16 PTS

Variety Shows
Hungry for Health - 食得健康嗎? - 23 PTS (Peaking at 26 PTS)

Sunday Songbird - SUNDAY靚聲王 - 23 PTS

Neighbourhood Gourmet 3 - 街坊廚神舌戰新台韓 - 19 PTS

Scoop - 東張西望 - 18 PTS (Peaking at 21 PTS)

Sze You Tonight - 今晚睇李 - 18 PTS

Travel in Shikoku Japan - 滾動四國 - 17 PTS

Edited by sugarplum892

Source: The Sun

"The Empress of China" finale peaks at 37 PTS; First place in ratings for the year so far

The night before, the finale of "The Empress of China", starring Fan Bing Bing and Aarif Lee, was broadcasted in Hong Kong. The ratings claimed success, peaking at 37 PTS and averaged at 33 PTS! The two leads expressed their gratification, Aarif responded: "Thank you so much to the Hong Kong audience for supporting our drama. Hope I will have more productions to bring to the Hong Kong audience again." And yesterday, when he and Joey were in Mainland to promote their Chinese variety show, they excitedly sang "The Empress of China" theme song (sung by Joey Yung) to celebrate. Apparently, the good ratings are on par with the successful "Triumph in the Skies II" in 2013. "The Empress of China" now holds the top place in ratings of all the dramas this year. As for the complaints that the Hong Kong version's cutting (of the drama) does not link up the plot well enough, TVB's Communications Deputy Director, Tsang Sing Ming replied: "Actually, the version that we were given is just like that. We did not cut anything at all, and even inserted some flashback scenes." TVB also plans to release a BluRay set of the drama for fans to collect. More details will be announced later. 

"Brick Slaves" will resonate with the audience

TVB originally planned to broadcast "The Misadventure of Zoo" after "The Master of Destiny" in August. However, considering that the 75 episode "The Empress of China" has just finished airing, they are worried that the audience may be a bit tired of ancient dramas for now, so instead, TVB has decided to release the drama "Brick Slaves", starring Vincent Wong, Selena Lee and Eliza Sam. The story of the drama revolves around the problems of the real estate market in Hong Kong, which will resonate with the audience quite well. 

"Brick Slaves" will air on August 10th.

Seriously I want to watch the uncut version. Why is China so fond of cutting content out? They're so desperate to create the buzz of Korean dramas that they remake them but if they keep cutting things and piecing scenes awkwardly, of course people would prefer Kdramas more. Recently I wanted to watch Journey of Flower and I heard that there's 3 versions of it. WTH?

It's great that FBB's self-produced drama received so much love. I haven't watched past episode 2; the old fashioned way of speaking confused me even in Cantonese. The costumes and make-up were beautiful though.

Edited by halfmoonsmile

TVB Ratings Report (07/06/2015 - 07/12/2015)

Dramas
The Empress of China - 武則天 (EPS 68-72) - 28 PTS *MONDAY TO FRIDAY EPISODES

Come Home Love - 愛.回家 (EPS 805-809) - 25 PTS 

Master of Destiny - 風雲天地 (EPS 11-15) - 23 PTS

Weekend Episodes
The Empress of China FINALE - 武則天 結局篇 (EP 74 END) - 33 PTS (Peaking at 37 PTS) *AIRED ON SUNDAY

The Empress of China - 武則天 (EP 73) - 26 PTS *AIRED ON SATURDAY

Variety Shows
Neighbourhood Gourmet 3 - 街坊廚神舌戰新台韓 - 22 PTS

Helen Tokyo - 東京攻略 - 21 PTS

Scoop - 東張西望 - 20 PTS

Sze You Tonight - 今晚睇李 - 19 PTS

Travel in Shikoku Japan - 滾動四國 - 16 PTS

JSG Selections Round 1 - 勁歌金曲優秀選第一回 - 15 PTS

• 2 weeks later...

When watching this, I felt that Fan Bing Bing Character Wu Zetian had more chemistry with her former lover Emperor Taizong compared to  Emperor Gaozong. 

So from the transition of her becoming a lover to her friend, was really weird. Their costumes were very good, considering that it is the most expensive drama up to date. Fan Bing Bing really made it big to transform everything. 

I agree. She had so much chemistry with Li Shi Ming compare to Li Zhi. I actually enjoyed watching how Wu mei niang grew as a person into someone who is tough, firm and fierce. In this drama, they didn't paint her as evil but someone who is a victim among many cruelties. The only thing that was evil was her killings which either she die or they die. -_-

• Like 1

I agree that she had more chemistry with the older actor. I was actually surprised by his age (he looks good, lol). I love the epic nature of the sets and costumes, but felt the drama was a bit drawn out, it should have been shorter, and Wu Meniang was too naive at times. How many times did she get betrayed by those she considered sisters; despite her years in the palace, even her niece was able to outsmart her (at least for a short while).

• 3 weeks later...

I really enjoyed watching this drama. The cinematography was so amazing. The actresses were so breathtaking and the wardrobe was perfect. It seemed as if everyone just popped out a painting. Aside from Kathy Chow this was my first time seeing any of these actors/ actresses. They all pretty much did a good job playing there roles. 

I appreciate all the thought that was put into the character building of Wu Zetian/Wu Meiniang. In the past movies/books/dramas always portrayed her as some evil, ruthless, and power hungry woman. Although all these things may or may not have been the truth this dramas gives you the option to understand her inner struggles. Let's you see her in a different light and makes you think that maybe she wasn't that bad after all.

As they say "History is written by the winners". And seeing how there is a lot of ppl who hated her. Some of the things that have been written in history books about her may have been lies. This drama really brought a humane side to her plight.  

The only bad thing about this drama was how they censored the clothing. I watched it without the censors and the scenery was beautiful. Not even for 1 sec did I think anything was provocative. It's a shame they had to ruin it for the viewers by cutting and cropping things out. What a insult to the artistry and the hard work put into the making of the clothes etc etc.  

I honestly don't understand why the SARFT feels the need to handle everyone with kid gloves :tears::(
It's very uncouth. I don't like the idea of any orgs or govs telling me watch I should be allowed to watch. Every grown person deserves the right to be respected and be able to decide what they can or cannot watch. I say live and let live. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I honestly don't understand why the SARFT feels the need to handle everyone with kid gloves 

:tears::(

It's very uncouth. I don't like the idea of any orgs or govs telling me watch I should be allowed to watch. Every grown person deserves the right to be respected and be able to decide what they can or cannot watch. I say live and let live. 

But the thing is some people are actually uncomfortable with the cleavages... this way everyone can watch. I have been kind of confused by the backlash this received, I mean I don't understand the problem- unless people against it are uncomfortable not seeing cleavage?? Surely it can't be because of historical accuracy, there are a million and one ways this *fictional drama* messed up and didn't stay true to history... because it's a drama. Yet this is the only thing that has people up in arms...:blink:just confused

The only bad thing about this drama was how they censored the clothing. I watched it without the censors and the scenery was beautiful. Not even for 1 sec did I think anything was provocative. It's a shame they had to ruin it for the viewers by cutting and cropping things out. What a insult to the artistry and the hard work put into the making of the clothes etc etc.  

I honestly don't understand why the SARFT feels the need to handle everyone with kid gloves :tears::(

I saw some complaints about the cleavages about how there was too much. I did some quick research and women of that time period were allowed to show off their cleavages and proud of it. That's one of the greatest things about Wu Zetian's rule; women were allowed to be more free. What do the modern day audience think instead? "Eww, they have boobies!"

Yes, I do agree with you. The costumes are breathtaking.

Edited by halfmoonsmile
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The costumes and hair styles are definitely impressive and gorgeous. Very disappoint by the character portrayals, though. Wu Mei Liang was known for being cunning, merciless and she was the only woman to ever rule China as an Empress. She was not an innocent, tortured but genuinely kind woman... Ugh, she is not. 

I completed this series today and I was very pleased with this historical drama.  I've heard talk of how history portrays the empress as being mean, and evil.  Since the events surrounding her rise to power are murky or unknown, we can only imagine, what happened in her life to make her into the person she became.  I loved this drama because it showed a bright,energetic,optimistic,caring and honest girl, go through many trials,disappointments, and injustices,and win the love of two emperors.  I can imagine changing after suffering imprisonment, plots to kill me, having my best friends turn their backs on me and betray me, suffering a forced miscarriage, and having several of my children killed.  I am not going to say that the men hated her because there had never been a female leader of the country; however, this drama made it appear that way. I can accept this premise, because many men today, still have problems with women in authority. The drama also made known that empress's first priority was not to rule the country; however, she did what any loving wife would do, protect her husband and his position.  Had her oldest son lived, I am sure that she would not have taken on the role of Emperor, but would have been content to be the the Empress, Dowager and dote on her grandchildren.  

Great drama even if the Chinese did get bent out of shape over a little cleavage.  I am not Chinese and I will not pass judgment on another culture and their values; however, I have watched Chinese dramas with women in skirts and shorts up their.... and it is okay; but showing a little cleavage is not. With or without the modesty pieces, the costumes were fabulous and the scenery spectacular.   I enjoyed the story-line, and  the characters especially the love between the emperor and the empress.  The actors, the scenery and costumes were fantastic.  GREAT JOB.

• Like 1

I feel as though this drama ruined the historical image of the Empress, turning Meilang into an innocent Mary Sue who just happened to have the whole world against her, only winning by luck and being innocent. Everything just happened to turn out brilliantly for Meilang while she la-le-la-le through life. It's unrealistic and it damages the real Empress Wu's reputation of power and intelligence. 

Even if they didn't want to show Meilang as evil and cruel, they could show her as more mature and scheming. 

• 3 weeks later...

I feel as though this drama ruined the historical image of the Empress, turning Meilang into an innocent Mary Sue who just happened to have the whole world against her, only winning by luck and being innocent. Everything just happened to turn out brilliantly for Meilang while she la-le-la-le through life. It's unrealistic and it damages the real Empress Wu's reputation of power and intelligence. 

Even if they didn't want to show Meilang as evil and cruel, they could show her as more mature and scheming. 

I think near the end, she was shown as being calculating, scheming and cut throat.  Remember she had the emperor's sister hung when she found out she killed her daughter. She made her husband's concubine drink poison when she found out she killed the Crown Prince, caused his brother to go against her and was plotting to kill her.  Meilang committed these acts while the Emperor was living.   

The series did portray Meilang as an intelligent young lady and a smart strategist.  One cannot go through life "la-le-la-le and be brilliant at reading people and countering their attacks.    

Circumstances in life change all of us, even Meilang.  I am almost sure she started out innocent.  I believe she went to Court when she was approximately 14?  Furthermore, she had to be special to attract the attention of two, not one Emperors.

We are all see things differently. I watched this drama without any preconceived ideas. I had read where the Empress was cruel; however, I put that aside and watched the drama with an open mind.  I enjoyed this drama and do not think it ruined the historical image of the Empress.  No one makes it to the top without doing something unsavory.  In those times, it was dog-eat-dog and I know she had take many positions and do many underhanded and/or criminal things to get to and keep the position of first female Emperor.  I think the writers were wise, who would want to watch an epic drama, where Meilang started out vindictive and became more vindictive as she obtained power.   Does it damage the real Empress Wu's reputation?  Not in my eyes, but I am a westerner and, although I have researched Empress Wu, I do not know the full story. Who wrote her history, was it a friend of foe?

One last question: Would an Emperor (male) who did the same thing Empress Wu did be characterized as being cruel, and evil or would he be praised for his brilliance?

Edited by Carmarie
add another line.

@Carmarie

It was simply the way Fan Bingbing portrayed Wu Meilang, maybe. In the other dramas I saw Wu Meilang, she had a much more mature aura and less of a playful-girly feel to her. 

This drama's Wu Meilang was definitely not brilliant at reading people and countering their attacks.
I've seen a lot of harem/palace dramas, psychological thrillers and dramas feature highly intelligent characters so maybe my expectations were too high. But we are talking about the only female emperor in the history of China... I was expecting to be impressed by more than their costumes. Oh well. 

I think you misunderstood, though. I wanted to see Wu Meilang act cruel. Not "I have no choice but to take revenge" cruel that the drama showed but the "I want power" type of cruel. I didn't want to see her start out vindictive nor do I want to see her become a heartless monster (although some history books will argue that that was the way she was), but I want to see her as more than just a (constantly crying) victim of her circumstances. 

How about a character that is cruel, evil and praised for brilliance? A complex character you don't know whether you love or hate, fear or feel sorry for? A lonely soul who commanded a country's respect and took the country to a new age but lost everyone close to her through her own hands? A woman who made the most difficult choices and bore the heaviest, bloodiest burdens for the sake of her country?
A woman who was able to declare herself an emperor, I feel, should possess that kind of transcendental complexity. 

That was why I really disliked this portrayal of Wu Meilang. She is basically a glorified duplicate of a typical protagonist from any palace dramas.