[Mainland Chinese Drama 2014-2015] The Empress of China 武媚娘传奇

sugarplum892

On 6/27/2015 at 2:03 PM, phyllisgst said:

Well, I don't think the Film Censorship Board of Malaysia did much censorship before Astro airing it on its On Demand channel. Since the Astro On Demand channel features the latest and hottest Hong Kong drama series same time as TVB Hong Kong. So, it's likely the series has been edited and dubbed into Cantonese version, including CGI-ed the cleavage part tastefully as part of the costume. 

As for the mystery how  Mei Niang ended pregnant with Li Zhi's child. Well, after much googling trying to understand. Apparently, in the original first broadcast, it was revealed to be the Li Shi Min's child. But in the dubbing process, the writers decided to change it and implied it was Li Zhi's child. 

Anyway, you may read it all at http://deerdrama.com/2015/01/19/%E6%AD%A6%E5%AA%9A%E5%A8%98%E4%BC%A0%E5%A5%87-the-empress-of-china-episode-60-recapreview-synopsis-and-summary/

Credits: www.deerdrama.com

On 11/21/2015 at 10:46 AM, outsanity said:

@Carmarie

It was simply the way Fan Bingbing portrayed Wu Meilang, maybe. In the other dramas I saw Wu Meilang, she had a much more mature aura and less of a playful-girly feel to her. 

This drama's Wu Meilang was definitely not brilliant at reading people and countering their attacks.
I've seen a lot of harem/palace dramas, psychological thrillers and dramas feature highly intelligent characters so maybe my expectations were too high. But we are talking about the only female emperor in the history of China... I was expecting to be impressed by more than their costumes. Oh well. 

I think you misunderstood, though. I wanted to see Wu Meilang act cruel. Not "I have no choice but to take revenge" cruel that the drama showed but the "I want power" type of cruel. I didn't want to see her start out vindictive nor do I want to see her become a heartless monster (although some history books will argue that that was the way she was), but I want to see her as more than just a (constantly crying) victim of her circumstances. 

How about a character that is cruel, evil and praised for brilliance? A complex character you don't know whether you love or hate, fear or feel sorry for? A lonely soul who commanded a country's respect and took the country to a new age but lost everyone close to her through her own hands? A woman who made the most difficult choices and bore the heaviest, bloodiest burdens for the sake of her country?
A woman who was able to declare herself an emperor, I feel, should possess that kind of transcendental complexity. 

That was why I really disliked this portrayal of Wu Meilang. She is basically a glorified duplicate of a typical protagonist from any palace dramas.

I've not watched any other Wu Mei Niang series for comparison. But I do agree that being innocent and girly is definitely not the characteristics of the future empress of China. And this is a glorified character for the sole purpose of entertainment and profits. And they do have the gorgeous costumes and setup. XD

• 10 months later...

Hello. Does anyone know where to buy the DVD or Bluray of the uncut and full 96 Episodes of Empress of China eng sub? I read CTV broadcasted them, with no clivage CGI or character cut under the face and no scene cut (with the real ending etc...)

But I can only find the 75 Episodes in DVD /Bluray.

I tried to look online and found the 96 episodes but they are not with English subtitles (Only found Russian and Indonesian ones).

Anyone knows?

Thank you.

Also anyone knows where to find the 2007 version with Eng sub?

The 2007 version has more insight of Wu Zetian during her emperor part of her life. Thank you.

Edited by shinopchan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Ahhh...I remember this drama. It's so beautiful and lures me in with gorgeous visuals, ranging from fashion to actors. But Fan Bingbing can't seem to act, and the storyline is dragged out. They nullified Wu Zetian's power and made her Snow White: a beautiful lady that is pushed around by the forces around her until she reaches a height in society. It's such a pitifully done drama. It was a long time ago, but I'm still quite mad because I was so hyped about it, too.