[Mainland Chinese Drama 2015] Nirvana in Fire 琅琊榜

sugarplum892

@lilhanh

Someone found it on another forum~ I'll translate tidbits from the other one when I have time :3 Meanwhile! 

5:30
Lady: So let me ask... since everyone hasn't left for Shanghai yet.. since you have a connection with everyone here, know everyone here sitting there, in your heart who is the most perfect couple?
(Hu Ge stares at Wang Kai)
Lady: The look in your eyes are telling everything! 
Hu Ge: In the show, I did everything just for him!
Lady: This is too scary~
Guy: Wait, I didn't see it
Lady: That kind of look is impossible to act out/learn
Guy: Who was he looking at?

Hu Ge: I chose you, Prince Jing, right? While making that scene, I messed up numerous time, because 'I chose you' right - say it slower and it sounds like 'I like you'

Liu Tao: ...I've also heard Hu Ge belongs to Wallce Huo, but after this, you can say Hu Ge belongs to Wang Kai, or MCS belongs to everyone

I have no idea how "I chose you" can sound anything like "I like you" considering the syllable difference and tone difference BUT MCS/Jingyan OTP. >3< It's fact. I wonder what Hu Ge mouthed at 19:23 and I can't make out what he said at 19:32. 

It must have been awkward to call Jin Dong up when all they were going to talk about was Hu Ge/Wang Kai/Prince Jing/MCS, though..

• Like 4

Having not read the novel, my feeling is that the Emperor (like many others before him) has always been rather insecure in his position. He led a rebellion to take the throne with the help of a number of those people so I imagine that it's always at the back of his mind that if he could gain ascendancy through a coup de tat, anyone could including his own son. Whatever good he has done, it will forever be overshadowed by the Chiyan massacre.

I also think that the emperor allows himself to be manipulated by a) his paranoia and propensity to be suspicious and b ) his own cunning. He overthinks things and doesn't trust people (which is understandable on a certain level) so he allowed fissures in his court to fester in order to maintain control. I guess the logic behind that is "if they're too busy fighting each other, they haven't got time to look at me". Although he's not the first ruler to take that approach, it's only really effective in the short-term but to rule that way permanently is to breed corruption which it did. Furthermore, he overlooked misdeeds by his sons and was more angry with them going too far and getting caught than the fact that they committed crimes.

The irony of the whole thing is that he gave his trust to the people that least deserve it because they were able to stoke his insecurities in all the right places. 

The birthday scene was a powerful moment. Undoubtedly Xie Yu and Xia Jiang were instigators but in the end the buck stops with the emperor. He gave the kill order. He allowed himself to be deceived and manipulated by others because it suited him at the time. Deep down, I suspect, he always knew that there was something dodgy about it.

It's rather telling when the emperor, all alone, dishevelled, stripped of all his power and rendered impotent by the united front of his highest officials, that without the trappings of the office, he is just a pathetic, elderly man with nowhere to go.

• Like 2

@lilhanh

Someone found it on another forum~ I'll translate tidbits from the other one when I have time :3 Meanwhile! 

5:30
Lady: So let me ask... since everyone hasn't left for Shanghai yet.. since you have a connection with everyone here, know everyone here sitting there, in your heart who is the most perfect couple?
(Hu Ge stares at Wang Kai)
Lady: The look in your eyes are telling everything! 
Hu Ge: In the show, I did everything just for him!
Lady: This is too scary~
Guy: Wait, I didn't see it
Lady: That kind of look is impossible to act out/learn
Guy: Who was he looking at?

Hu Ge: I chose you, Prince Jing, right? While making that scene, I messed up numerous time, because 'I chose you' right - say it slower and it sounds like 'I like you'

Liu Tao: ...I've also heard Hu Ge belongs to Wallce Huo, but after this, you can say Hu Ge belongs to Wang Kai, or MCS belongs to everyone

I have no idea how "I chose you" can sound anything like "I like you" considering the syllable difference and tone difference BUT MCS/Jingyan OTP. >3< It's fact. I wonder what Hu Ge mouthed at 19:23 and I can't make out what he said at 19:32. 

It must have been awkward to call Jin Dong up when all they were going to talk about was Hu Ge/Wang Kai/Prince Jing/MCS, though..

THIS IS GREAT!!!  Thanks for the link and the translation!  The more I follow Hu Ge and realize how much chemistry he has with all the actors, the more I respect him.  Jin Dong and Wang Kai are definitely closer.  But if you watch the behind the scene in The Disguiser, Hu Ge is forever goofing off with Jin Dong on set.  I love Bromance so much more than romance.  Just a lot of feel good and no drama!

• Like 2

@lilhanh

Thanks! ^^ Hu Ge definitely is amazing! His personality is one of a kind. 
I feel as though Jin Dong and Wang Kai has a more formal mentor-mentee kind of brotherhood while Hu Ge and Wang Kai has more ~chemistry sparks~ sort of friendship. Plus I feel as though Hu Ge and Wang Kai intentionally-not-on-purpose play it up.  

Bromance, CP, it's all so much more fun than the "romance" of kissing, getting married, blahblah.

• Like 3

Guest kashie19

I am about 15 episodes away from the end. I will definitely be back to discuss this unparalleled  drama in depth. But in the mean while, is there a full version of the opening theme somewhere? I'm utterly in love with the music. It's somber, inspiring, and epic all in one. I must have it. 

I'm on my second run of this show. ;)

I've even managed to get the husband hooked on the show. Poor man, he didn't even know what hit him. Told me this morning that "this is such an addictive show". :lol: Bad part is, I have to try so hard not to spoil it for him. :sweatingbullets:

Speaking of music, it's fascinating that Wang Kai's singing voice sounds so much like he's speaking one. It's a beautiful, haunting track and wonderfully translated.

• Like 2

How is this drama?? I have been putting in on my to watch plate but I am not fond of Hu Ge.. 

It's brilliant, dear. I'm not one much for hyperboles but this is truly one of the best. The best thing I've seen all year.

I used to think that Hu Ge was an okay actor but in this, he is something special.

It's a must watch. The storyline is terrific and the cast is stellar.

Count of Monte Cristo meets Three Kingdoms.

• Like 4

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Nirvana in Fire and while I was watching, I completely fell in love with Wang Kai (who plays Prince Jing). A friend on Twitter helped translate this interview he did recently. And I've also started an internatational Facebook fan page for him. I'm also helping to recap Nirvana in Fire, which is a great way to relive such an amazing drama!. 

http://www.samsoondowntherabbithole.com/2015/11/wang-kais-rapid-fire-quiz-20151103.html

• Like 4

I didn't think this was my type of drama being all about politics and revenge with very little romance, but it grabbed my attention and never let go with the first episode.  It was a very smart drama with great characters and great writing.  The episodes ended at a weird place, but I couldn't click the next ep fast enough.  I only wish we had more closure for all of the characters.  

• Like 3

I'm going through a Nirvana in Fire and Disguiser withdrawal!!!  This is trouble. lol  I recommended to my brother Disguiser as he loves that time period.  He finished this drama in less than a week...and even surprised ME!!  He's not one to binge watch anything. Now THAT'S saying something.  I'm constantly looking for posts on these 2 drama.  Anything here to help me with my withdrawal is greatly appreciated. :)

• Like 1

Please, please spoil me! Explain to me the end of Nivana on fire? Red handkerchief is fall down-it's a sign that Su Zhe is dead?

Yes, I don't know if you have noticed, but in the previous episode, Jingyan covered Xiao Shu's ancestor tablet with a red handkerchief (the scene where Chiyan's army and Prince Qi's funeral altar is restored). Apparently, the red handkerchief symbolizes that the person whose name is written on the ancestor tablet has not passed away yet in tradition, but you could also see it as a gesture of Jingyan to cover up Xiao Shu's ancestor tablet which is only given to those who have died. So for Jingyan to uncover the tablet and the fall down of the handkerchief means that the tablet is now officially being used (Xiao Shu's name is on the tablet). You can compare the tablet with a gravestone.

• Like 5

*shameless self promotion* :phew::lol:

SERIES REVIEW: NIRVANA IN FIRE (LANG YA BANG/琅琊榜)

If you haven’t been living under a rock, then you’ve probably heard of a little commercially and critically successful C-drama called Nirvana in Fire (Lang Ya Bang). This is a show that has taken China and international viewers by storm—and for good reasons. An adaptation of a popular online novel by the same name, Nirvana in Fire is a complete and utter masterpiece. The show has an engaging story, is beautifully shot, wonderfully acted, and smartly written. Words cannot possibly do this piece of artwork any justice, but I will give it my best shot. I hope this review will bring back some fond memories for those who have watched it and possibly convince those who haven’t to pick it up. This is undeniably my favorite drama of 2015 and I unequivocally recommend that everyone watch it!

*Spoilers ahead*

https://dramapenchant.wordpress.com/2015/11/25/series-review-nirvana-in-fire/

• Like 6

Please, please spoil me! Explain to me the end of Nivana on fire? Red handkerchief is fall down-it's a sign that Su Zhe is dead?

Yes, I don't know if you have noticed, but in the previous episode, Jingyan covered Xiao Shu's ancestor tablet with a red handkerchief (the scene where Chiyan's army and Prince Qi's funeral altar is restored). Apparently, the red handkerchief symbolizes that the person whose name is written on the ancestor tablet has not passed away yet in tradition, but you could also see it as a gesture of Jingyan to cover up Xiao Shu's ancestor tablet which is only given to those who have died. So for Jingyan to uncover the tablet and the fall down of the handkerchief means that the tablet is now officially being used (Xiao Shu's name is on the tablet). You can compare the tablet with a gravestone.

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! I'm crying right now! But i read there and here and some said there some another epiloegue when Xiao Shu is alive?

• Like 1

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! I'm crying right now! But i read there and here and some said there some another epiloegue when Xiao Shu is alive?

Yes, but that is only because the "epilogue" took place before Mei Chang Su left to Jinling, before the story began. So, Xiao Shu did pass away, confirmed by the producers and directors themselves. They didn't want to confuse the audience that Xiao Shu is still alive with the epilogue so they personally clarified this on their Weibos, because Xiao Shu being alive would take away the meaning behind the grief of Jingyan and Nihuang. The whole thing would have turned into a joke.

• Like 4