Add and Subtract Game

Admin

6 minutes ago, packmule3 said:

You got it, @fikachuuu.

@fikachuuu's another good friend of mine. I think she's been lonely since the end of Goblin, and hasn't found another drama yet.  (Right?) We can reactivate that drama thread with some re-watch schedules as soon as I can block off some time.

The other ladies here have been watching Strong Woman. I've also been watching Joy's Liar and His Lover.  I like Joy's effervescence so I think I'll stick around and post something in that thread soon.  

Yeah I've kind of been lonely but I've found another drama I enjoy. Tunnel is pretty good if you don't mind crime dramas with some humour here and there. Haven't posted there yet since I'm still reading their discussions and partially because I don't feel like analysing anyth right nw haha. I don't mind a goblin re-watch :grimace:

I've been watching SWDBS too. I like silly so I'm pretty easy to please and don't mind the cartoonish feel of the drama. Although the random gangster x monk nizamuddin scenes did get on my nerves in ep 13? where I'm supposed to feel the danger and suspense of the DBS confrontation with the killer, but all I feel is frustrated and confused about what is it I'm supposed feel throughout the ep. The tone can be pretty inconsistent.

I watched and read the original japanese movie and manga of the liar and his lover before but still undecided on whether I wanna start watching Joy's version yet. 

• Like 2

@fikachuuu

Okay then. Let's plan for a Goblin rewatch. How about next week? Saturday morning, EST, so that will be Saturday evening in Asia. It's springtime here so my husband will play golf and be out of the house the whole morning. lol. (I'm a golf widow.)  Do you know how we do re-watches? We watch it together then stop the film and post comments everytime we see something that strikes our fancy.  @phikyl is an expert on this too after Reply 1988, and @onlysb1.  Comments don't have to be mind-blowing. Some times just gushing over characters will do just as well.  I think many Goblin people are in a funk and we can do something about it. 

I watched (more like fast-forwarded)  the Japanese movie of Liar and His Lover, but haven't read the manga (because I don't read Japanese, hahaha). The two (the genius Aki and the high schooler Riko) did end up together, right?  

The kdrama version is kinda messy. There are a lot of crossed wires, and mix-ups, and missed opportunities. What the characters are saying isn't exactly the truth, whole truth, and nothing but the truth, But YOUNG love is kinda like that, right? A bit messy, a bit iffy, a bit shady, and a whole lot angsty.

So it's interesting trying to make sense of the kdrama version of Liar and His Lover, as it stands. Anyway, just try to watch the first episode and see what you think. I'll write a reply to one of the questions a poster had asked (i.e., the reason of the male lead for quitting the band just before their debut).  I don't know whether somebody answered her yet but oh well....I'll just throw my opinion in the bucket.   

• Like 3

2 hours ago, packmule3 said:

how about sparkler kiss?  The OTP play with those sparklers, like spinning them around, and then they kiss? hahaha.

And how do you get to watch so many kdramas and remember all these kisses?? Do you catalogue them somewhere? on MDL?

Are we only talking about K-Dramas because I can think of a couple TW dramas that have the sparklers but not Korean

LOL! I just have a really good memory when it comes to stuff I enjoy. As long as I can picture the kiss/actors in my head, I can usually figure out which drama it came from. I guess it's like a K-drama memory palace I have unwittingly built. :lol: 

10 minutes ago, phikyl said:

Are we only talking about K-Dramas because I can think of a couple TW dramas that have the sparklers but not Korean

LOL! I just have a really good memory when it comes to stuff I enjoy. As long as I can picture the kiss/actors in my head, I can usually figure out which drama it came from. I guess it's like a K-drama memory palace I have unwittingly built. :lol: 

How can you have a good memory for KISSES?!! Huh?  

lol. I feel like creating a deck of playing cards just for you with kisses as pictures. It'll be like playing a Concentration or Matching game. hahaha. 

Okay, then. Will skip the sparklers kiss. We can't trademark that. 

How about kissing while playing a duet on the piano? That's pretty conventional but have you seen a drama like that? The OTP can be playing "Heart and Soul" or its new remake/version played by Train, and then kiss in mid-song as their hands cross over. hahaha. 

29 minutes ago, packmule3 said:

@fikachuuu

Okay then. Let's plan for a Goblin rewatch. How about next week? Saturday morning, EST, so that will be Saturday evening in Asia. It's springtime here so my husband will play golf and be out of the house the whole morning. lol. (I'm a golf widow.)  Do you know how we do re-watches? We watch it together then stop the film and post comments everytime we see something that strikes our fancy.  @phikyl is an expert on this too after Reply 1988, and @onlysb1.  Comments don't have to be mind-blowing. Some times just gushing over characters will do just as well.  I think many Goblin people are in a funk and we can do something about it. 

I watched (more like fast-forwarded)  the Japanese movie of Liar and His Lover, but haven't read the manga (because I don't read Japanese, hahaha). The two (the genius Aki and the high schooler Riko) did end up together, right?  

The kdrama version is kinda messy. There are a lot of crossed wires, and mix-ups, and missed opportunities. What the characters are saying isn't exactly the truth, whole truth, and nothing but the truth, But YOUNG love is kinda like that, right? A bit messy, a bit iffy, a bit shady, and a whole lot angsty.

So it's interesting trying to make sense of the kdrama version of Liar and His Lover, as it stands. Anyway, just try to watch the first episode and see what you think. I'll write a reply to one of the questions a poster had asked (i.e., the reason of the male lead for quitting the band just before their debut).  I don't know whether somebody answered her yet but oh well....I'll just throw my opinion in the bucket.   

Ok I can do Saturday provided my dad doesn't plan sudden family outings (He likes to do that alot without any warning I don't know why lol). I think I'm going to end up spazzing over the grim reaper since he's my favourite character.

I sort of like the movie (actually mainly because I love Satoh takeru the main actor.. lol biased here.:p). Erm.. Not sure since I never finished the manga. Haha..I don't rly like the main guy in the manga.Can't remember why but I remember his ex had some kind of sexual relationship with the director/producer? and he was the one who introduced his ex to the main guy for goodness knows what reason. I didn't like that sort of drama so I stopped reading. Lol

I will try watching the first ep once SWDBS is over. Hopefully it's not as dark and angsty as the manga haha.

Edited by fikachuuu
Adjusted number according to latest post
  • Like 1

lol @phikyl - memory palace for kdrama kisses? so was my sink kiss idea done already? it seems like such a waste of those shower scenes if some bathroom appliance didn't choose to do PPL for one drama at least. kekekek... :D

@packmule3 ~ the piano kiss has been done a lot. one I remember off the top of my head is king2hearts though it might have been an almost kiss?

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, fikachuuu said:

Ok I can do Saturday provided my dad doesn't plan sudden family outings (He likes to do that alot without any warning I don't know why lol). I think I'm going to end up spazzing over the grim reaper since he's my favourite character.

I sort of like the movie (actually mainly because I love Satoh takeru the main actor.. lol biased here.:p). Erm.. Not sure since I never finished the manga. Haha..I don't rly like the main guy in the manga.Can't remember why but I remember his ex had some kind of sexual relationship with the director/producer? and he was the one who introduced his ex to the main guy for goodness knows what reason. I didn't like that sort of drama so I stopped reading. Lol

I will try watching the first ep once SWDBS is over. Hopefully it's not as dark and angsty as the manga haha.

I find the Jdrama lead actors too skinny, scrawny. I prefer my heroes more muscular, beefy.  :)

However, one Jdrama that I liked, with a gaunt male lead, was Tatta Hitotsu no Koi (?).  In the first episode, the girl was sulking because she wanted this cheap toy which the guy was supposed to have won for her at a street market game. (He obviously failed and he dismissed it as nothing.) Like a spoiled brat, the girl insisted that she wanted that particular toy. All HIS friends were expecting him to blow up because typically, he wouldn't have tolerated such childishness.  

But he simply stood up and went back to play the game (over and over again, it seemed like) in order to win that bauble for her. His action reminded me of old world chivalry... for some weird reason. 

To her credit, the girl waited for him to come back. She knew that he would get it for her.  And the toy did become significant later... it was their means of "long-distance communication."  

In the Lover and His Liar kdrama version, the infidelity of the ex-GF was glossed over, meaning, we didn't actually see the ex-GF and the manager in bed together.  One of the interesting things for me here is -- given his history with his ex-GF -- will he consider Joy's decision to sing his rival's song, instead of his composition (and HE BEGGED her), as some sort of "infidelity" too? Or will he be able to rationalize this?  We'll see....

1 hour ago, fikachuuu said:

Haha at this rate we will keep going back to the same numbers. XD

And one last thing. Don't worry if we swing back and forth. For me, it isn't really about the winning. It's more about the conversation and getting-to-know people and building a community here at soompi.  That's one of the things many posters have been complaining about soompi -- that's there's a lack of community. It's okay if you just want to post the numbers. But it's also okay if you want to chime in or post an opinion or just lurk. (hi there, @TRaNz, she/he is our resident lurker. lol) 

But people DO rush to see what new developments occurred on this thread because of the flow of ideas, jokes and other fun nonsense that crop out during their absence. :) If we move this thread 4 pages in one night, it wasn't because of number-crunching plus/minus 2. Free Smiley laughing smiley It's because we actually enjoy chatting with one another about anything and nothing. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

lol @phikyl - memory palace for kdrama kisses? so was my sink kiss idea done already? it seems like such a waste of those shower scenes if some bathroom appliance didn't choose to do PPL for one drama at least. kekekek... :D

@packmule3 ~ the piano kiss has been done a lot. one I remember off the top of my head is king2hearts though it might have been an almost kiss?

A shower scene will remind me of the "glass tabletop" kiss in the Thai drama @phikyl introduced me to, "Kiss Me."  Remember that scene, @phikyl? That was crazy weird. The guy was sleeping with his head on the glass table. The girl found herself under the table. And she kissed the spot on the glass where his lips were, thereby stealing a kiss from the sleeping prince.  

But a sink kiss? I want an avant garde sink like this one. 

Spoiler

28-Waterfall-sink

or this minimalist one: 

26-Waterfall-faucet

hahaha. 

• Like 2

@packmule3 ~ well that is one way to steal a kiss. hahahhah.. guess it was some high school drama? are people really following/reading this thread? but why?! :ph34r::blush:

and that is some fancy sinks by the way! but cleaning is probably a pain if you don't have some fancy hotel cleaning staff no?

@fikachuuu ~ LOL. so food purist eh? dont worry! I also think some of those food related kisses are weird. hahahah... it is like me and online grocery shopping which I think is a concept that works only for some people.....

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, packmule3 said:

I find the Jdrama lead actors too skinny, scrawny. I prefer my heroes more muscular, beefy.  :)

However, one Jdrama that I liked, with a gaunt male lead, was Tatta Hitotsu no Koi (?).  In the first episode, the girl was sulking because she wanted this cheap toy which the guy was supposed to have won for her at a street market game. (He obviously failed and he dismissed it as nothing.) Like a spoiled brat, the girl insisted that she wanted that particular toy. All HIS friends were expecting him to blow up because typically, he wouldn't have tolerated such childishness.  

But he simply stood up and went back to play the game (over and over again, it seemed like) in order to win that bauble for her. His action reminded me of old world chivalry... for some weird reason. 

To her credit, the girl waited for him to come back. She knew that he would get it for her.  And the toy did become significant later... it was their means of "long-distance communication."  

In the Lover and His Liar kdrama version, the infidelity of the ex-GF was glossed over, meaning, we didn't actually see the ex-GF and the manager in bed together.  One of the interesting things for me here is -- given his history with his ex-GF -- will he consider Joy's decision to sing his rival's song, instead of his composition (and HE BEGGED her), as some sort of "infidelity" too? Or will he be able to rationalize this?  We'll see....

And one last thing. Don't worry if we swing back and forth. For me, it isn't really about the winning. It's more about the conversation and getting-to-know people and building a community here at soompi.  That's one of the things many posters have been complaining about soompi -- that's there's a lack of community. It's okay if you just want to post the numbers. But it's also okay if you want to chime in or post an opinion or just lurk. (hi there, @TRaNz, she/he is our resident lurker. lol) 

But people DO rush to see what new developments occurred on this thread because of the flow of ideas, jokes and other fun nonsense that crop out during their absence. :) If we move this thread 4 pages in one night, it wasn't because of number-crunching plus/minus 2. Free Smiley laughing smiley It's because we actually enjoy chatting with one another about anything and nothing. 

Yeah the japanese tend to prefer the thin beautiful men. I think that's how they define their ikemens if I'm not wrong. I usually prefer the lean yet toned guys. I think Satoh Takeru has gotten quite muscular ever since Rurouni kenshin since that movie required alot of action scenes. XD

Never heard of that drama before but it's been awhile since I watched j-dramas. I liked Freeter ie o kau with Ninomiya Kazunari. The main guy all his life had been drifting (gone to an average school,gotten average grades, no real goal in life,and has difficulty holding down jobs since he can't find any that he likes...In a way, he actually reminded me alot of myself hah~).One day he suddenly has something concrete he wanted to do in his life - that is to buy a new house  for his mum who had developed some sort of social anxiety as a result of their neighbours (he wanted to give her a better environment to recover just as the psychiatrist advised). So he stepped up his game in trying to find a stable job and earn as much money as possible but with his track record of quitting jobs after a short time he had difficulty passing interviews. The drama also explores communication issues between the family members and work life (the main guy has conflicts with his dad similar to how I do with my dad at times lol). I relate to to the main character alot hence this drama will always have a special place in my heart. 

Wow glad to hear the ex and producer relationship isn't explored too much on. Will see if would like it more than the original manga.:D 

I actually used to be active in another forum back in 2007-8? (mangafox if you must know I was pichpichu there which is why I named myself fikachuuu here coz I've evolved lol) and used to love playing these sort of games as well as interacting with other members there. So playing this game now feels pretty nostalgic :D

@Lmangla Haha yeah like how could one eat and kiss at the same time? It's just gross. Food should be clean and pristine for consumption. At least for me that is. (Then again I'm the kind of person who finds it hard to eat food someone else has bitten lol)

• Like 2

lol @fikachuuu ~ don't have a problem sharing food.. that is if I am not hungry!! hahahha... otherwise, buzz off my bowl! :lol::lol:. those food kisses are strange because while everyone is looking at the kiss, I would be looking at the food. hahahhha.... it seems like the chef's work has gone to waste or something and thats why it feels like a bit of a travesty or something. hahahahha......

so what is the story behind fikachu and pikachu? (your dp name) is this some manga characters?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

lol @fikachuuu ~ don't have a problem sharing food.. that is if I am not hungry!! hahahha... otherwise, buzz off my bowl! :lol::lol:. those food kisses are strange because while everyone is looking at the kiss, I would be looking at the food. hahahhha.... it seems like the chef's work has gone to waste or something and thats why it feels like a bit of a travesty or something. hahahahha......

so what is the story behind fikachu and pikachu? (your dp name) is this some manga characters?

Lol I remembered when watching pinocchio with my sis and she was spazzing over the toast kiss and all I could think of is "Gross...What a waste of that nice piece of toast" haha..

Erm..it's pretty simple actually Pikachu is my fave pokemon and "Fika" is part of my name. So combine the two and it becomes "Fikachu". I only added the extra "uu..s" for added effect lol. It also an evolution from my previous dp name "pichpichu" in mangafox forums since "pichu" is the pre-evolution of pikachu. Haha

How about yours? Is there a story behind your dp name?

• Like 1

ah I see @fikachuuu; . I share a birthday with my grandmother and when she was alive, we would call and say "happy birthday" to each other and giggle. kekekek... that was fun. coming up with dp names are hard and so for some reason, I ended up doing a variation of my grandfather and grandmother's name together when I signed up for soompi. (his name started with L and mangla is my own variation of her name which means "good fortune girl") in the middle, I was thinking of switching to something generic like "teagarden" but I have gotten rather attached to the name and it feels like me.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

ah I see @fikachuuu; . I share a birthday with my grandmother and when she was alive, we would call and say "happy birthday" to each other and giggle. kekekek... that was fun. coming up with dp names are hard and so for some reason, I ended up doing a variation of my grandfather and grandmother's name together when I signed up for soompi. (his name started with L and mangla is my own variation of her name which means "good fortune girl") in the middle, I was thinking of switching to something generic like "teagarden" but I have gotten rather attached to the name and it feels like me.

Ah...that's such a touching story and a meaningful name. :) I myself have recently loss my grandmother last year. My cousin who has recently given birth named her daughter after my grandma's name but with some variation because she said that if she were to name her daughter completely after my grandma she would be too sad to call her own daughter. Since our grandma's death was still pretty recent.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lmangla said:

@packmule3 ~ well that is one way to steal a kiss. hahahhah.. guess it was some high school drama? are people really following/reading this thread? but why?! :ph34r::blush:

and that is some fancy sinks by the way! but cleaning is probably a pain if you don't have some fancy hotel cleaning staff no?

@fikachuuu ~ LOL. so food purist eh? dont worry! I also think some of those food related kisses are weird. hahahah... it is like me and online grocery shopping which I think is a concept that works only for some people.....

I don't know, @Lmangla But I heard from some folks who noticed that Add/Subtract was trending and they wondered why, and they checked this thread out. I guess there's nothing much going on. And curiosity never did kill a cat which has eight lives to spare.:D

Look at it this way: we're click baits. Free Smiley tongue in cheek Or fake news. 

I admit food kisses are weird. But if we're writing a kromcom, then we're expected to have some Specialty Kisses. And food kisses were all we could come up with (@lmangla suggested the kimchi kiss, I said the Gim/seaweed kiss) because all the other regular ones like piano kiss, rain kiss, pepero kiss, etc.  were taken.     

BTW, this whole nonsense of feeding each other at the dinner table is alien to me, too. I don't recall my husband feeding me even when I was sick in the hospital. If I'm too weak to hold a spoon, then I'm too weak to digest the food. But kdramas have this feed-the-girl trope so we'll go along with it. 

• Like 2

@packmule3 Are you sure you haven't seen IOTL yet? Cuz I remember talking about ending scene. :sweatingbullets:

Tatta hitotsu no koi haha how come you can remember the name :D You can watch old doramas anytime when you had enough of pretty and alpha heroes.  My suggestion Pride male is not skinny but heroine is a bit frustrating. Or Buzzer Beat heroine is awesome there but the guy mature with her influence. Then there is Love Shuffle I feel related to one of main characters there which doesn't usually happens. 

Edit 

• Like 3

@fikachuuu ~ that was a wise decision by your cousin sister. what if she wanted to scold her child? so it is good it is a variation. hahahahha.. and yea, because it is a variation, I kept mp dp; otherwise, would have changed it long ago. this way, the variation feels true to me and it feels like me. so smart decision by your cousin sister long-term and short-term as well.

@packmule3 ~ ah that makes sense. it is like how I discovered this thread exists. it was on the right side bar but it wasn't trending or anything and I was just curious what exactly it was about...

and yea, the whole feeding trope is strange. if we were armchair psychologists/anthropologists, then one could say that it appeals because it reminds you of the time when you were infant or something and so feel loved? or something... :ph34r::D

• Like 3