[Drama 2017] Saimdang, Light's Diary 사임당, 빛의 일기

Kaizen68

Thanks for sharing @liddi!! So many new scenes we can see here. SS and LG running in the park, LG strolling the market (I have seen that BTS for ages now on Youtube), Sang Hyun, Hae Jung and her husband scene is especially cute. Hehe. Omo, now I cannot sleep! 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, jangseo_wanjina said:

It's sad that this would be a career marker for LYA and SSH.

My advice for LYA and SSH is to buy several thousand DVDs of SLD's international version with English subs and distribute the DVDs to their fans worldwide.

In this way, their careers don't have to be defined by the inferior SBS version of SLD. Besides making their fans happy, they will be sending a message of rebuke to the SBS executives who messed up this drama.

I wish LYA will continue acting while raising her twins. Perhaps, her next projects could be

(1) a comedy

(2) an action sageuk

(3) a modern drama where she plays a defense lawyer, or

(4) any kind of drama where Kim Yoo-jung will be part of the cast.

I wish LYA will star in some movies and TV works in coming years, not let her fans wait too long. 

I hope her next projects will be

1. Comedy, she played a humorous and wise lady. 

2. Any kind of drama where Kim Eun Suk, Song Jae Jung, or No Hee Kyung, is a screenwriter, 

3. Any kind of movie where Lee Jung Hyang, Lee Ang, Park chan Wook, is a director. 

4. A drama, she played a career woman, professional, strong, and lead a team some members are excellent.

5. Any kind of drama where Won Bin, Park Sin Yang, Jo In sung will be part  of the cast.

6.  Commercials where she will show a brand new image to audience. 

7. Any kind of documentary where she will discover beauty and the opposite of humanity and scenery in the world, 

2 hours ago, plainenglish said:

My advice for LYA and SSH is to buy several thousand DVDs of SLD's international version with English subs and distribute the DVDs to their fans worldwide.

In this way, their careers don't have to be defined by the inferior SBS version of SLD. Besides making their fans happy, they will be sending a message of rebuke to the SBS executives who messed up this drama.

I wish LYA will continue acting while raising her twins. Perhaps, her next projects could be

(1) a comedy

(2) an action sageuk

Wonderfully written. I like it. 

18 hours ago, jangseo_wanjina said:

This drama has sad endings. 

1. Sad because it may be LYA's last. This is so unfortunate. Still hoping, though, that LYA would just treat this as a setback and not a failure so that she wouldn't be discouraged and disheartened as to never do another drama again. She's a luminary whose luster should not be made to wane.

2. Sad because despite its great promise and stellar casting, the drama failed to excite a larger audience. No thanks to the lopsided and lousy re-editing and the creative choices on not giving the fans at least one happy ending for the main leads. 

What's the point of creating a mysterious character as a RADE "boss"? To tease a happy ending for fans who want to see LYA and SSH in more romantic hugs and kisses? As it turned out, it's just a tease. 

3. Sad because the drama didn't get the treatment it deserves. It's a huge-budgeted drama with rather an ambitious narrative that succumbed so quickly to popular taste. The production should have stood on its grounds and stuck with the original cut. 

4. Sad because the happy ending between SS and LG has to happen in the afterlife. That's an easy way out towards giving the viewers the catharsis they need after an emotional battle. 

The directors and producers will realize LYA and SSH are good partners in cooperation with some drama works,  so LYA and SSH will continue having works going on.

However,  LYA will not star in drama works so often because of her age, her focus on family, and fewer offers than before.

She will not have so many drama works in the future.  I hope that she will not let her fans wait too long, not over 3 years, please!!!

The orchestral OST is out... and can be heard here!

Truly evocative... and among my favourites would be the hauntingly beautiful Sad Violoncello, the lyrical, whimsical Souvenirs, the achingly poignant Passion and Destiny. The pieces however are not comprehensive, and I am disappointed that the orchestral version of Sad Violoncello, which we first hear in Ep1 when Gyeom was painting in a frenzy, is not featured here. Also, I don't recognise some of the tracks... which I guess just means I will have to watch again to pinpoint where it was featured :tongue: Nonetheless, it is a gorgeous soundtrack - both the orchestral pieces and the songs, and one that will definitely be on repeat on my playlist.

@Farah Ayuni Me too! Am really anticipating yet dreading the finale at the same time, since watching it would mean that it has finally ended...

@Dannis Lee Hi there and welcome to the thread! Glad to see new faces here, even on the last episode of the drama. Please do stay and join us as we complete this journey together!

@plainenglish @Dannis Lee To be honest, I don't think LYA and SSH's careers will be defined by the SBS version, at least not internationally, since all other countries are broadcasting the original version. Japan's BluRay and DVD sets already state that theirs is the international release, and I really hope that other countries will follow suit and release them as well. It is the domestic viewers who need to realise that what they saw is neither original nor superior. Regardless of the drama ratings, I don't think anyone can deny the amazing performances that were delivered in the drama, not the least of which are LYA and SSH's stunning portrayals and incredible chemistry. I really would love to see them work together once more in another project, and I know I will miss them desperately once the drama ends. 

Guys, can someone explain to me how did the commander of the royal guard and lee gyeom actually met? He sort of saved gyeom when he was a child?  Did the current king command the whole royal family to be killed? Is he the one killing gyeom's parents? Thanks. 

@Farah Ayuni

"Guys, can someone explain to me how did the commander of the royal guard and lee gyeom actually met? He sort of saved gyeom when he was a child?  Did the current king command the whole royal family to be killed? Is he the one killing gyeom's parents? Thanks. "

Yi Gyeom became a street urchin because of what happened to his grandfather

Yi Gyeom was the grandson of Gwi Seong Gun Yi Jun (귀성군 이준, 龜城君 李浚, 1441 - 1479), he was the political rival of Han Myeong Hoe (한명회,韓明澮 1415-1487) during the reign of Seongjong. During when Seongjong decided to deposed Queen Yun (Yeonsangun's mother), Han Myeong Hoe decided to accused Gwi Seong Gun as an accomplice with the excuse that Queen Yun father given name was Yun Gi Gyeon (윤기견,尹起畎) & the given name Gi Gyeon (기견, 起畎) means counterattack & charge them with treason. It was an excuse to get rid of a political rival. 

After the incident many Royal Relatives were sideline & prohibited to participate in government affairs. Therefore Gwi Seong Gun's descendants definitely suffer consequences

@gerrytan8063 To be honest, I did wonder about that myself. Since Gyeom's first meeting with King Jungjong was at 15 years old, the king had already ascended the throne when the Chief Security Attache found Gyeom in the streets. I checked multiple subs, and they all say that the Chief Security Attache was under orders to find all members of the royal family and kill them. Does the Korean dialogue say the same thing? If that is the case, my theory is that strictly speaking, young Gyeom should have died, but the security attache spared the boy, and presented him to the king, trusting that his personality and talents would enchant King Jungjong sufficiently to let him live. What do you think?

'Saimdang' earns net profit, recoups 75 pct of budget from overseas

SEOUL, May 4 (Yonhap) -- "Saimdang, Memoir of Colors," an anticipated high-budget TV series that has yielded weaker-than-expected results, has managed to earn a net profit thanks to strong performance overseas, according to the its production company Thursday.

According to production agency GROUP 8, the SBS TV drama earned 17 billion won (US$15 million) via distribution in seven countries, including in China, Japan and Taiwan.

The figure represents 75 percent of the show's entire budget of 22.5 billion won. The company declined to disclose detailed earnings figures but said that the show earned a "meaningful" net profit.

"Exports seem to have played a big role (in the show's bottom line)," a GROUP 8 representative said.

The series, which premiered in late January, made headlines for bringing "hallyu" actress Lee Young-ae back to television for the first time in 14 years. The show centers on Saimdang (1504-1551), whose legacy is associated with raising the Korean Confucian scholar Yulgok of the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910).

The show, which wrapped up production in the first half of 2016, was initially set to air last fall with simultaneous broadcast on China's Hunan TV.

But the show was pushed back to January amid China's tacit ban on Korean TV shows, an apparent protest towards Seoul's decision to install a U.S. Terminal High Altitude Area Defense, or THAAD battery, on the Korean Peninsula.

The show was ultimately blocked in China. But according to an official at GROUP 8, Hunan TV had already paid the Korean production company for the rights for Chinese distribution.

Despite much fanfare before its premiere, "Saimdang" yielded weaker-than-expected ratings throughout its run in South Korea, overshadowed by KBS 2TV's "Good Manager" and "Queen of Mystery." But according to GROUP 8, the show proved to be a hit overseas, thanks to the star power of Lee and co-star Song Seung-heon.

"The show is the most viewed program on Taiwan's GTV since its premiere. It's also maintaining the lead and No. 2 positions on various platforms in Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore and Malaysia," a company official said.

Spoiler

In this file photo, Lee Young-ae, star of SBS TV show "Saimdang, Memoir of Colors," poses for the camera during a media event held Jan. 24, 2017, at the Lotte Hotel in Seoul. (Yonhap)

In this file photo, Lee Young-ae, star of SBS TV show "Saimdang, Memoir of Colors," poses for the camera during a media event held Jan. 24, 2017, at the Lotte Hotel in Seoul. (Yonhap)

odissy@yna.co.kr

(END)

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/culturesports/2017/05/04/0701000000AEN20170504002700315.html

@liddi

"To be honest, I did wonder about that myself. Since Gyeom's first meeting with King Jungjong was at 15 years old, the king had already ascended the throne when the Chief Security Attache found Gyeom in the streets. I checked multiple subs, and they all say that the Chief Security Attache was under orders to find all members of the royal family and kill them. Does the Korean dialogue say the same thing? If that is the case, my theory is that strictly speaking, young Gyeom should have died, but the security attache spared the boy, and presented him to the king, trusting that his personality and talents would enchant King Jungjong sufficiently to let him live. What do you think?

"Does the Korean dialogue say the same thing?"

In which episode? I can return to cross reference

Maybe the Saimdang novel that you had ordered & arrive, may open that information door for you, the "hidden relationship" between Security Attache & Yi Gyeom

@gerrytan8063 It is in SBS Ep27 (Ep29 international), when Security Attache lets Gyeom go - the flashback to the first time they met.

I am not sure if the first half of the novel would explain this.. will go back and check. Meanwhile, is there any news of Volume 2? I did a search for the C-translated novel, but no luck so far :( 

17 hours ago, jangseo_wanjina said:

Good you have that to tide you on. :) Unfortunately for us who don't have OhK!, we're stuck with the SBS version. Yes, let's see how it all ends tomorrow. 

For us who don't subscribe to OhK! this is from YT.  The sub is in Malay, however we have watched more than half of it before and our dearest @liddi has kindly describe the extra scene in her post before :) (thanks for the link to the OST)

@liddi, maybe @gerrytan8063 can refer to this to answer your question.  As for the Malay sub, it just mentioned "to find the royal family" but the tone of the King....

Good news from the Malaysian front:

Saimdang Episode 28 Malaysub has reached over 72,450-plus views in just one week. Ep. 27 only had 27,200-plus views.

Episode 29 now has 13,000-plus views just 9 hours after the video was posted.

Looks like our Malaysian friends are preparing for a grand finale for SLD.

7 hours ago, liddi said:

I really would love to see them work together once more in another project, and I know I will miss them desperately once the drama ends. 

8 hours ago, Dannis Lee said:

The directors and producers will realize LYA and SSH are good partners in cooperation with some drama works,  so LYA and SSH will continue having works going on

If I'm not mistaken LYA has been a part of SSH's management company for more than a year now. So a future drama or movie with them together isn't a farfetched idea.

@liddi

"It is in SBS Ep27 (Ep29 international), when Security Attache lets Gyeom go - the flashback to the first time they met."

Jungjong: Have all the Royal Relative thoroughly search (Chaja, 찾았) & investigated (So Sa 조사)

I will concur with the Malay sub in Oh!K channel, will confirm with HK-TVB later

while the closes to word killing is Sa Sal (사살,射殺) usually use in death by gun shot

"I did a search for the C-translated novel, but no luck so far"

I browse the title "사임당 빛의 일기 (하,)...nothing yet 

Kudos to all here. Your vivid words let me appreciate the beauty and heart of this drama in spite of some obvious flaws. Some anti fans make lousy words to the drama and actors... Fortunately, we have companions. 

Let us greet the ending. Hope what this drama inspire and motivate us will make us lead better life attitude.  

Thanks to this drama and people here. (^_^)

1. I don't believe in reincarnation, but if I'm reincarnated, I want to be SLD's writer so that I can rewrite the drama:

(a) Ji-yoon's husband will really die in the car accident, and

(b) Ji-yoon will fall in love with RADE / The Photographer (SSH).

2. For Lee Won-su and his concubine: You made life miserable for Saimdang. If I ever meet you in  my part of the world, you're both dead ducks! Ha ha.

@liddi

"I checked multiple subs, and they all say that the Chief Security Attache was under orders to find all members of the royal family and kill them."

I check TSKS & Hanmi Chinese sub & it said "search & thoroughly investigated"....look like GTV Taiwan had done it again

13 hours ago, plainenglish said:

(1) a comedy

(2) an action sageuk

I second the motion. LYA should choose her next projects more wisely, taking into consideration variety and diversity.

SLD is too close to DJG in terms of texture, flavor and colors. Probably the reason why only avid followers were able to appreciate and stay on.

10 hours ago, Dannis Lee said:

I wish LYA will star in some movies and TV works in coming years, not let her fans wait too long. 

I hope her next projects will be

1. Comedy, she played a humorous and wise lady. 

2. Any kind of drama where Kim Eun Suk, Song Jae Jung, or No Hee Kyung, is a screenwriter, 

3. Any kind of movie where Lee Jung Hyang, Lee Ang, Park chan Wook, is a director. 

4. A drama, she played a career woman, professional, strong, and lead a team some members are excellent.

5. Any kind of drama where Won Bin, Park Sin Yang, Jo In sung will be part  of the cast.

6.  Commercials where she will show a brand new image to audience. 

7. Any kind of documentary where she will discover beauty and the opposite of humanity and scenery in the world,

Great ideas for her future projects. Just hoping that despite her age and devotion to her family, she would not make her followers wait for another 14 years, like what she did with SLD.

Archived