[Drama 2017] Saimdang, Light's Diary 사임당, 빛의 일기

Kaizen68

@liddi

"Can you please tell me what exactly was written on the postcard RADE-Gyeom sent SJY? Once more, I am getting different translations: "

Give me some time to read off the hangeul handwriting

As for the postcard, it is really a con job...the picture is the Siesta Di Luna in front while when she turns, the postcard had a Korean W400 stamp, with a Korean post mark & a huge stamp pad stamp of AIR MAIL U.S.A Immigration from L.A Airport. At the bottom of the card reads & mentioned Yangdong Folk Village in Gyeongju. Admire the 15th century lifestyle  as this is a UNESCO Heritage Site 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@liddi

"Can you please tell me what exactly was written on the postcard RADE-Gyeom sent SJY? Once more, I am getting different translations: "

"그녀를 다시 그의 둘이 있는 곳으를"

This is what is written although the handwriting in too wriggling for reading, this is the best to my ability

My translation....."Return her to where the both can be in one place

What are the small details u guys picked up from the finale? 

1. The fringed pink bracelet is a gift from Ji Yoon's son and now it goes to Saimdang's daughter. Beautiful. 

2. Seo Ji Yoon in Siesta di Luna is actually wearing a fringed pink hairband.

3. The resemblance of Saimdang and Lee Gyeom (SJY and Rade's leader) are only there to connect their fate (with a hint of the original SS and LG essence). I think it is beautiful that they are not reincarnated with their pure souls,  they stay true to themselves. I am a person who believes in the afterlife, the perfect afterlife is where we can truly rest. The world is meant to be imperfect, full of trials and again, fated.   

4. Now that the Sujinbang diaries is in the eye of the public, their love story is out for appreciation. 

@liddi

I just realise that Seo Ji Yun did the voice over & read what it said in the postcard, I did some correction

그녀를 다시 그의 이 있는 곳으를"

Return her to where his spirit/soul is placed

I suppose all the subtitles are done along those lines

@liddi Nice work with spotting the "crossovers". I was waiting for Hwieumdang to appear in modern timeline but she didn't. (Maybe she should give out the award to SJY's MIL :D)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is one of the least packed ending episodes I have seen in Kdramas. There was time to show everyone's ending. 
I give credit to Saimdang's husband acting in this episode, specially during the meal scene. Without a single word of dialogue but so moving.

I am not too thrilled about how they handled RADE's boss in modern timeline. It was all implied to be the RADE-gyeom but never truly confirmed/revealed. How did he know so much about Saimdang and Gyeom ? Gyeom died alone in Italy presumed with no descendants. It would be better if they hinted a small boy befriending Gyeom in Italy or something...........
Also, I understood it as SYJ is now hired as part of RADE.

International version did not show SYJ seeing Saimdang and Gyeom walking together (in afterlife) and that was my main grouse for an otherwise beautiful scene.

While this 30 episode drama (I watched international version only) is entertaining for me and the discussion here added to that, I can see why it doesnt appeal to a larger audience. 

It was a great ride and thanks to all contributors here ! Take care ! 

Final Episode

32941557263_a40c1d2cca_z.jpg

Peter Paul Rubens chalk sketch of "Man in the Korean Costume" depicted as a huge portrait in the drama, the original drawing measure only 34.8 x 23.5 cm that is currently house in the J. Paul Getty Museum in Los Angeles, USA, bought from a private English collection  in 1983

I have view the original works when it was on loan for an exhibition in the National Museum of Korea

On April 27, 2017 at 7:37 PM, gerrytan8063 said:

Episode 27

Seo Ji Yun tells Shin Saimdang in order to save Yi Gyeom, he must escape to China (Ming Dynasty) then through the silk road to go Goa, India (天竺國,천축국, ancient name for India) to meet Catholic Jesuit Priest Francis Xavier (方濟沙勿略 방제- 方濟略 1506-1552) that will lead him to Italy

Watched episode 27 again and Saimdang never tells Gyeom his travel routes to get to Italy's. She only says once he is on the bigger boat he will have no longer existed here. Did the International version tell him to meet up with St. Francis and get to Italy? Why couldn't he just stay in China? Just wondering... Then that wouldn't explain how the diary and portrait ended up in Italy. 

Ha ha :D I thought when we said goodbye before, this thread will slow down.... but it is not so.  More questions are coming... me too have lots of question.  I'm getting a headache too, watching the livestream, iflix, Oh!K and also the subbed online.  

There are so many things that I learnt... not just the history and the language but also geography.

I read the sub of one of the online site about the route.  It was translated:

Help him escape to Britain so he can follow the Silk Road to Italy - SJY to Saimdang

:astonished:

@konia

"Watched episode 27 again and Saimdang never tells Gyeom his travel routes to get to Italy's. She only says once he is on the bigger boat he will have no longer existed here."

Shin Saimdang never verbally told him about the route (not seen or shown), but she did write down Seo Ji Yun's escape suggestion in her back pages of her diary after she woke up & knew that it was not a dream. Shin Saimdang's Sujinbang diary was passed to Yi Gyeom before he left for China

The route was that Yi Gyeom must meet St Francis Xavier (Bang Je Gak) in Goa, India in May 1542 (Gregorian year) for him to be immortalised in Peter Paul Rubens painting of "Miracles of St Francis Xavier" & to save his life & his future in Italy

When Jungjong order the Yi Gyeom execution date in Tamna (presently jeju-do Island), he was quoting the lunar calendar which is the 5th lunar month of the 15th day

For example for the year 2017, the lunar 5th month of the 15th day falls on 9th June 2017 (Gregorian year)

This is why Seo Ji Yun asked Shin Saimdang to act fast to save Yi Gyeom from doom

@Yongzura

"Help him escape to Britain so he can follow the Silk Road to Italy - SJY to Saimdang"

Someone badly needs a geography lesson

Picture below shows scene of Saimdang's children mourning after her death (this was deleted in the SBS version).

While the children are on the ground, Lee Won-su is up on the roof, wailing his heart out and waving a white cloth. I've seen scenes in other K-dramas where the king dies, and the eunuch is up on the palace roof, announcing something. Would anyone know what Lee Won-su is doing up on the roof?

gf31HFO.jpg

@plainenglish

"While the children are on the ground, Lee Won-su is up on the roof, wailing his heart out and waving a white cloth. I've seen scenes in other K-dramas where the king dies, and the eunuch is up on the palace roof, announcing something. Would anyone know what Lee Won-su is doing up on the roof?"

21005950403_9e411e2f8f_z.jpg

Scene taken from the MBC drama Hwajeong - the death of Injo

This ritual of calling back the spirit of the decease is called chohon (초혼, 招魂) or kobok (고복,皐復,), traditionally perform in Korean funeral where  just after the deceased breathes his/her last, his/her outer garment will be remove & a mourner will go to the roof to call out the decease name three times so that his departing spirit may come back. If the call does not bring the deceased back to life, only then is he officially determined dead.  The cries of "O, the (decease name) that has been scattered!.... O, the (decease name) that has vanished in air!.... O, the (decease name) that has not answered my call! O, the (decease name) that I will surely die while calling out!" then the garment is return to cover the deceased body

FYI - Malay subbed video of Saimdang Ep. 30 finale has reached 34,719 views in just 22 hours.

Ep 29 - 44,911 views
Ep 28 - 84,646 views
Ep 26 - 75,618 views

But I noticed that videos of previous episodes (from Ep 1 to 24) have already been taken down.

9 hours ago, plainenglish said:

Look at  Ji-yoon's hair pin in the picture below.

Glad you noticed that too. I think that fringed pink pin is making Rade-Gyeom intrigued to take her photo from behind. 

Is it just me? I have been thinking and analysing the finale the whole day. It is an open ending. In my eyes, SJY doesn't look truly happy to be back with her husband and family. I just got that vibe. Hmm. Maybe it is just me. 

When SJY and Rade-Gyeom shared a look (I prefer the international version where they share longer look, smile and nod), the two of them knew exactly who each other are. Now that they are colleagues in Rade, maybe something can happen. Haha. I'm still having very optimistic hope. 

And oh, what's with Hae Jung and Sang Hyun scenes? When SJY called Hae Jung and ask about Sang Hyun, Hae Jun said maybe he's doing his own thing. Turned out to be she called Sang Hyun to accompany her shopping. Did Hae Jung just lied to SJY? Am I overanalyzing? Hehe. Their scenes are cute though. I wish for a scene where Sang Hyun meets his young 'Saimdang'. 

3 hours ago, gerrytan8063 said:

@konia

"Watched episode 27 again and Saimdang never tells Gyeom his travel routes to get to Italy's. She only says once he is on the bigger boat he will have no longer existed here."

Shin Saimdang never verbally told him about the route (not seen or shown), but she did write down Seo Ji Yun's escape suggestion in her back pages of her diary after she woke up & knew that it was not a dream. Shin Saimdang's Sujinbang diary was passed to Yi Gyeom before he left for China

The route was that Yi Gyeom must meet St Francis Xavier (Bang Je Gak) in Goa, India in May 1542 (Gregorian year) for him to be immortalised in Peter Paul Rubens painting of "Miracles of St Francis Xavier" & to save his life & his future in Italy

When Jungjong order the Yi Gyeom execution date in Tamna (presently jeju-do Island), he was quoting the lunar calendar which is the 5th lunar month of the 15th day

For example for the year 2017, the lunar 5th month of the 15th day falls on 9th June 2017 (Gregorian year)

This is why Seo Ji Yun asked Shin Saimdang to act fast to save Yi Gyeom from doom

@Yongzura

"Help him escape to Britain so he can follow the Silk Road to Italy - SJY to Saimdang"

Someone badly needs a geography lesson

I remembered Saimdang writing down SJY's escape directions on paper just didn't realize it was in the diary. Thought it was on scrap paper for her to remember to tell him. Thanks for clearing that up & I appreciate all the info culturally & insight to the drama you have given. 

5 hours ago, plainenglish said:

FYI - Malay subbed video of Saimdang Ep. 30 finale has reached 34,719 views in just 22 hours.

Ep 29 - 44,911 views
Ep 28 - 84,646 views
Ep 26 - 75,618 views

But I noticed that videos of previous episodes (from Ep 1 to 24) have already been taken down.

I guess all the episodes might be taken down soon. 

Spoiler

I'm deleting the previous link to the site too.

Dear All

I bid this drama adieu since my first post in this thread in 21st September 2015 , thank you to all for your kind comments & appreciation for my contribution post to this thread

As for me, I had the best of any worlds having the access of SBS version & the International version with the many dubbed & subs that had been available out there...the comprehensive discussion, the spot the differences. I will conclude that this had been an entertaining & enjoyment drama to watched

Some conclusion

Shin Saimdang decided to give Hwieumdang's sons a new identity, so that they will not suffered the repercussion from their father's actions & able to finished their schooling & maintain their Yanban status.The name that Shin Saimdang gave them was Song Si Jin for Min Ji Gyun while his younger brother was Song Si Wu.

Although Min Chi Hyeong thought that it was loyalty to serve his King by killing Yi Gyeom, the least he got his poetic justice in the modern timeline when he was the arresting officer for Prof Min

In history after great thinkers like Yi Hwang & Yi I, came another generation of thinker by the name of Song Si Yeol (송시열, 宋時烈,1607-1689)

The Sageuk genre that I had always like is now dwindling as the Korean seems to favour manga-oriented sageuk. Gone were the days when sageuk involves the workings of a Joseon government bureau or palace department, started with Heo Jun who was about Royal Physician, Dae Jang Geum was the Royal Kitchen, Yi San was the Dohwaseo - Royal Painting Bureau, Dong Yi was Bureau of Music, Horse Doctor was about Horse Administration & Joseon Medical Surgery, Hwajeong was the Joseon Arsenal (Hwagi Dogam) & lately Flower in Prison is the Joseon Prison system. These sageuk gave us an education outlook on how we look at Joseon history

Trust real life and its inopportune timing to drag me away from here until now...

How do I begin to talk about the finale? Both versions leave me with a lot of mixed feelings, each with its strengths and flaws, and more than ever, I wish we could have had the best of both in a 3rd version... but things being what they are, I will just have to settle with watching both, depending on what I am hoping to see. That being said, the international version continues to be far more fleshed out despite some uneven editing, and remains my version of choice should I choose to revisit it as a whole.

At long last, we see the loose ends tied up. In one fell swoop, Director Sun's dramatic press conference brings an end to Prof. Min and Chairman Heo's nefarious schemes, restores JMS' innocence and grants new lease of lives to SJY's team. The origins of the fake painting is clarified in the international version, concluded to be a copy of An Gyeon's work done in the same period as the real one. Similarly, we now understand the wine stains on the Soojinbang Diary, an ominous omen that seeped into crushing realisation as Gyeom instinctively knew there and then, that the love of his life has died.

It is so wonderful to see each character being given fitting closure. SJY's new identity as a member of RADE is so cool, and it looks like GHJ and HSH are similarly recruited. We also get hints of the progression in Anna and HSH's relationship from the international as he makes overtures of concern, when previously he would push her aside, which is good to see, since both her parents will be answering for their crimes.

Family
Saimdang's choice of her children over her love is accorded proper prominence, and she will live unwavering with her choice to the end, as we see all that justifies why she would be considered the epitome of a benevolent mother and virtuous wife 贤母良妻. Sensing the end is near, she restores her divided family as only she can... affirming once more to her husband the wonderful father he has always been, and reconciling her children to their father. It was particularly heartbreaking to watch, as we know that she is putting her final affairs in order, entrusting her soon-bereft children to their father, almost in the vein of 托孤 ensuring her orphaned children would never be left uncared for. The SBS version gives us a moving flashback of her moments with each child as she imparts her gentle wisdom and love, reminding us of her impact on their individual lives, thus making the scene where she walks slowly away by the beach all the more poignant. We then see that heart-shattering scene in the international version as Saimdang's husband and children mourn her passing, her husband crying out her name on the rooftop while her children cry in grief, losing their mother way too soon. It is doubly devastating when we remember Mae Chang's prophetic words in the prior scene, her voice carrying a hint of desperation as she frantically asks her mother not to leave them or suddenly disappear on them. I still cannot stop crying each time I watch this scene.

We see Hwieumdang's change through her acceptance of a life that she once despised in her youth as she too now becomes a tavern owner. Sacrificing her own life for her children even if she can never see them again, her reunion with her sons gladdens me immeasurably and moves me to tears. They have been through so much, and finally, they are together as a family, without any more fear looming over their heads. They have each other, and that is all that matters.

SJY's family reunited at last and the ensuing scenes of their idyllic moments together makes it the perfect closure for me. This is driven home by Eun Soo's joy during their celebratory dinner, when he reveals that the best gift for him is being able to have a meal with his parents, particularly meaningful, considering that he had lost both parents one time or another. I love too SJY's reunion with JMS... the warmth and love that permeates through as they reclaim the wonder of still being able to see each other after almost losing one another, and embrace the second chance that life has given them. It was simple, it was beautiful, and I would not have had it any other way. To separate them once more after all they have gone through would have been way too cruel.

Longing
What I particularly love is that this drama is never about love taking precedence over everything else. Gyeom and Saimdang's longing for each other is undoubted and real, as each continue to miss each other despite being separated, this time for good, in their living years. Yet this did not stop them from moving on to having fulfilling lives, being all that they can be, to those around them. They were lovers, but they were not identified as merely that, and I love this interpretation.

That being said, Gyeom's longing for Saimdang is poignantly portrayed particularly in the international... the achingly beautiful, yet heartbreaking scene as Gyeom imagines being with Saimdang in Tuscany, from meeting at the marketplace as they select brushes, to holding hands and running together across the bridge, in the corridors of Siesta di Luna, and finally that stunningly poignant moment as they sit together in the garden. The tenderness with which she holds his hand and caresses his face, before her face falls and she slowly withdraws her hands, disappearing from his side - and Gyeom's tears at the end, realising it is all but his imagination, and he is alone again. Tears.

The closing scenes at Siesta di Luna
The SBS version uses voiceovers and flashbacks to full effect, taking us through SJY's revelations one by one... the Dianthus Chinensis blooming in the garden from the ancient seeds, particularly meaningful seeing she gave Saimdang her bracelet with the same flower on it; the name of Siesta di Luna and its significance; the blurred lines between Saimdang and SJY's thoughts, allowing us to understand why SJY seems to morph into Saimdang with the shifting of scenes. What I like less though, is the jarring flashback to SJY looking at Man in Korean Costume, complete with montage of Gyeom through the years. While it drives home that Gyeom is the subject of Rubens' painting, it was heavy handed since this detail is already known to her from before, and results in a choppiness in the flow that should not have happened. 

On the other hand, the scene when SJY and Saimdang finally come face to face, before Saimdang turns and walks away slowly, first alone, then with Gyeom by her side and SJY tailing them from behind, knowing that she has completed her mission at last and reunited the lovers - this is far better executed here, bringing full circle the purpose that led her to Italy before, and the same one that brings her here now. In contrast, the international suffers by clumsily stopping with an overly long frozen shot of SJY as she tails Saimdang before it shifts to Gyeom and Saimdang walking together all the way to the end, with no more footage of SJY, similarly causing a disconnect in the flow.

However, that being said, there is a lyricism in the international with only instrumentals accompanying it which makes it far more poignant and memorable for me... Memoirs of Colors, a far more muted instrumental version of Kim Yuna's Years, then the evocative When Spring Comes, ending in the closing shot of them holding hands against the sunset... and Passion and Destiny accompanying the montage of the drama that comes after. It is the quintessential embodiment of Saimdang's essence - quiet, passion brimming just beneath in her very stillness, and I love it.

I know many people love SBS' closing scene... SJY's voiceover of John Donne's poem and its meaning, accompanying the stunning frame of Gyeom and Saimdang bathed in the sunlight, finally allowing herself to rest in his arms. It is beautiful, and as viewers, we are accorded long-awaited emotional closure to see them in an embrace that proclaims irrefutably that their tragic fate is at an end. Yet, in spite of its more muted, restrained treatment, I still prefer the international version, which I feel to be so in keeping with the overreaching theme of the entire drama, and is that much more emotionally resonant. The closing scene is symbolic... the meaningful choice of sunset framing the two lovers who are finally together with the achingly beautiful close-up of them holding hands. Sunset - the split moment as the sun goes down and the moon emerges... the moment when the sun and the moon can meet, and it brings us back full circle to the allegory of Gyeom and Saimdang as the moon and the sun, meeting at long last. And the holding of hands... reminding me poignantly of another time when he clung to her hand in desperation, and she shook it off, leaving him behind. This time, he holds out his hand, and she places hers in his with love and trust, finally free to follow her heart and walk with him for all time. Breathtaking.

Unanswered questions
Despite all the tying up of loose ends, the drama still leaves us with various unanswered questions.

We are reminded again and again, particularly by the SBS version, that Gyeom is the subject of Rubens' Man in Korean Costume. However, the disparity in years between Gyeom's arrival to Italy in 1542 and 1617 when Rubens painted the two paintings, is never addressed. Is this conveniently glossed over by the production, hoping that the viewers would not notice, or deliberately unexplained and left to the viewers' imagination. Historically, Rubens travelled to Italy in 1600. Seeing that Gyeom's spirit continued to live on in Siesta di Luna, are we meant to infer that he could have appeared to Rubens in visions which resulted in the life-like reproduction through his work? We do not have the answers.

Similarly, how exactly is the enigmatic RADE founder linked with Saimdang and Gyeom's past? Was he merely a vehicle to reunite the lovers in present day, much like SJY? Was he drawn to Rubens' Man in Korean Costume, because of their similarity in features, or are we not meant to see any similarities apart from the fact that both are exceedingly handsome men? Did he see visions of Gyeom as well during his visits to Siesta di Luna? How else how would he have known about their tragic love story, and given the instruction to SJY to bring Saimdang to Italy, where Gyeom is waiting. Even to the end, the RADE founder remains a mystery, but perhaps that is not important. The moment SJY and the RADE founder's eyes meet in mutual recognition, what passes between them is tacit understanding, knowing that they have fulfilled their roles and reunited the long-separated lovers, which is further elaborated by the international version, where he gives her a brief nod of acknowledgment before walking off while SJY smiles slightly in understanding.

We are never told specifically how SJY could have brought Saimdang to Italy. However, perhaps it is irrelevant, and it suffices to imply that Saimdang, having met SJY, has been with her since... and SJY's return to Italy enables Saimdang to finally return to the man she loves.

I think I have rambled far more than I intended, and probably only scratched the surface of what is stewing in my head. This drama has given me so much to love, its many threads weaving together into one epic tapestry that is vivid, evocative and unforgettable. And at the heart of it, we are given a beautiful, poignant story of a love that has remained unchanging through the long passage of time, waiting over 500 years to be fulfilled. While not perfect, this drama is without a doubt, one that I will not forget for a long time to come, and I will miss this universe desperately now that it has come to an end. 

For the last time, some additional footage:

Spoiler

Additional scene from the press conference, where Director Sun explains the significance of the Soojinbang Diary, which she describes as Shin Saimdang's personal journal. She also reveals the truth behind the fake Mt. Geumgang painting. While it is a forgery, carbon dating puts it as from the same period as the authentic one. However, the brush strokes and style is completely different from An Gyeon's, hence the conclusion that someone from that period copied An Gyeon's work. She goes on to reveal how Prof. Min used threats and even attempts on their lives to seize the painting, which she supports with the video from the CCTV SJY's team installed at the club.

A longer scene of everyone congregating to welcome SJY's return to consciousness. GHJ asks if she heard what Director Sun did, and then they celebrates the fact that it is finally over and they have succeeded.

HSH asks Anna out for a drink. She is surprised since he never return her calls. HSH asks in concern if she is fine, and reveals that he is worried she might do something silly. However, Anna says that she is fine, and despite them being her parents, they should be punished for all they have done. All her life, she has watched her father do a lot of bad things, but she was powerless to change anything. She is glad that finally her father has been stopped. HSH then promises to answer all her calls from now on, and tells her to call him any time she wishes.

An achingly beautiful, yet heartbreaking scene as Gyeom imagines being with Saimdang in Tuscany, from meeting at the marketplace as they select brushes, to holding hands and running together across the bridge, in the corridors of Siesta di Luna, and finally that stunningly poignant moment as they sit together in the garden.

The heartbreaking scene as Saimdang's husband and children mourn her passing, her husband crying out her name on the rooftop while her children cry in grief.

Eun Soo says that it is like Christmas with all the gift exchanges. When GHJ promises to get him an amazing gift for Christmas, he says that to him, the best gift is being able to have a meal with his parents. Meanwhile, SJY's mother-in-law wins best saleswoman award at Saimdang Cosmetics.

An extended scene after SJY talks to GHJ on the phone before leaving for the airport. GHJ is shopping for exercise outfits when HSH shows up, being called there by her. As she sees one she likes, he wonders if they come in her size, and gets whacked by her for his comment when they are told it comes in all sizes.

A longer scene when SJY finally sees the leader of RADE, with him taking photos in the garden. noticing her and snapping a photo of her. As their eyes meet in mutual recognition, he gives her a brief nod of acknowledgment before walking away while she watches, smiling slightly in understanding.

Saimdang and Gyeom walking together in the closing scene, ending with them overlooking the sunset, and him offering his hand to her, which she finally accepts, putting her hand in his.

@liddi

Great reading on your comments

"However, the disparity in years between Gyeom's arrival to Italy in 1542 and 1617 when Rubens painted the two paintings, is never addressed. "

It is more to imply that when St Francis Xavier who landed in Goa on the 6th May 1542 & Yi Gyeom was so happened a part of the witnesses in St Francis Xavier "Miracles of Resurrection" in Goa India, that was later being immortalise in Rubens painting in 1617

Although St Francis Xavier died in China in 1522, his body is now buried in Goa

Archived