[Drama 2017] Saimdang, Light's Diary 사임당, 빛의 일기

Kaizen68

@gerrytan8063 In which case, I don't think Gyeom did much planting, since he still had so many seeds left, which he kept alongside the diary and painting :D However, jokes aside, I think then the gift of the seeds are more to remind him of the home he can no longer return to, rather than of Saimdang herself. I don't recall that particular flower having a specific significance to them both, do you?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The final episode will be broadcast on Thursday May 4th, there will be no episode broadcast on Wednesday due to Presidential debate

Preview

Hwieumdang reunited with her sons

Modern timeline, Min Chi Hyeong is the arresting officer for Prof Min & Chairman Heo

Saimdang's 2CD OST available for pre-order on Yesasia!

C-aVp-rVYAAUOPs.jpg

The tracks are as follows:

CD-1 
1. 그때 그날 우리 – 혜미 
2. 연 – 김윤아 
3. 너에게 간다 – 더 원 
4. 언제든, 어디라도 – 린 
5. 왜 그댈 – 지아 
6. 단 한 번의 사랑 – 이수 
7. 기억상실증 – 김범수 
8. 별의 노래 – 멜로디데이 
9. 아무도 모르게 – 안다 
10. Half – 문형서 
11. 봄이 오면 – 하울 

CD-2 
1. Memoir of Colors 
2. Memoir of Colors_Orchestra ver 
3. Our Twisted Hero 
4. For The People 
5. Waltz in Triste 
6. Passion and Destiny 
7. Theme of the Evil Man 
8. Souvenirs 
9. Sad Violoncello 
10. Tragic Fate 
11. Love Tension in Doria 
12. Another Time 
13. Broken Hearted 
14. Constant danger 
15. Intense Anxiety 
16. Obscured Truth 
17. 정선아리랑 

@gerrytan8063 Wakakaa! That is priceless to know that MCH will be the arresting officer for Prof. Min and CEO Heo :D At least he gets to redeem himself in his modern incarnation, unlike Man Deuk... tsk tsk! :tongue: 

OST part 11: Howl - When spring comes

Lyrics thanks to Popgasa!

When the flowers wither with the cold wind
You get farther away

The moonlight in the dawn sky
Is so close I can almost hold it

When the long winter ends and spring comes
Let it be even warmer

In my painful scars in my heart
Let flowers bloom

When the awaited spring comes

Episode 26 (SBS Version) & Episode 28 (International version)

Jungjong tells Shin Saimdang that Yi Gyeom will be sent to Tamna (탐나,耽羅) to be exile & to sentence to death by poison at a later date

Tamna (탐나,耽羅) is the current Jeju-do Island, it is the old kingdom name for 464 years before it was absorbed into Joseon Dynasty in 1404

Once again, I am truly grateful for the international version, as Ep28 remains strong and shows us just how well-crafted the original vision was with its nuances and subtleties, giving us a narrative that is heartfelt, poetic and far more evocative.

We continue to step through familiar scenes in both timelines, all of which I love so much more in this version. Here, we are taken from Gyeom and Saimdang painting on Mt Geumgang to his surrender and her despair writing the Soojinbang Diary in the past, and SJY recognising her handwriting in the mysterious John Donne poem, ending with meeting Saimdang in the time warp, and realising that Gyeom is the subject of Rubens' Man in Korean Costume. 

Saimdang and Gyeom's time on Mt. Geumgang outdoes even the already beautiful edit in the SBS version. In a moving yet poignant sequence, they paint together, which juxtaposes into their younger selves with their interactions mirroring their older counterparts... and we finally see the fulfilment of a promise made 20 years ago. We are taken through a series of achingly beautiful flashbacks... introducing themselves to each other for the first time; her saying that Mt. Geumgang is the one place she must go, which he promised they would together after they marry; her gifting of the Biikjo seal, asking that he carves the other half himself and gives it to her on their wedding day; his vow after they meet once more - to be the most powerful man in Joseon for her, that she might give her all to her passion in art; to stand where she would always be able to see him, always walking alongside her even if their paths never cross again. As each familiar scene plays out, I begin to tear up as well, seeing how far they have come, the obstacles that kept them apart, and Gyeom's unwavering love for her through it all. This montage makes Gyeom's furtive carving of the Biikjo seal even more heartbreaking, us having been reminded of the promise she held him to when she gave him hers, and understanding the significance as their 3 days draw to a close. Breathtakingly, devastatingly beautiful.

Likewise, the scene when Gyeom reads the letter she left behind - his agonised cry of her name thrice before bowing his head in utter grief and defeat... losing the woman he loves once more. Tears.

To be honest, I watched with trepidation as the scene that raised my ire played out. However, much to my surprise, this time round, it did not rub me the wrong way, and I find the execution of SJY and Saimdang's meeting to be less heavy-handed, and thus more effective. SJY's relevation of Gyeom being Rubens' Man in Korean Costume feels more fluid with the simple omission of the scene of Gyeom sailing to Italy. I have often found SBS' approach of forcefeeding information without allowing the viewers the luxury of absorbing and interpreting the story for themselves to be counterproductive, taking away the allure of the mystery, and in some cases, even improbable, particularly with scenes that the character could not have known. In this version, the removal of that one scene makes it far more believable for me, as we see through SJY's eyes, events that she has gone through, and thus come to her conclusion. As such, I am now truly eager to see how the rest of their interactions will be shown next week. @gerrytan8063 I really should have listened to you and your faith in the international, shouldn't I, and saved myself some grief after SBS' Ep26 :tongue: 

Last but not least... the preview, which hints to us the path Director Sun will take. Yes!

One inexplicable edit that SBS made which I cannot understand - the canvas on which SJY lands after her fall. The original colour was red, but SBS changed it to blue. Why:blink:

SBS:
lKYSR0i7jhXnXKinbRHEY2HWf0w_nVarPq_v4xkKTHOT4cwySTv4X1EF36-R8H9LAQJbnxwduHds2s_V2eSe4gjQ3KRgwEQ9B2BSgNYqZrfP8MbkL2KjYrWFcFjNEWO2H2-zcPmRmC8ja-E9bvRCIC0nZcuFDyDH8wu_28CmefvlsvDFrTYCD5BHnRcRtrCNpzHs2oQTPsCGhD_rl3-seml3adKCggTY_wyv_1_LjYnvUZmpPtM1VM5e04pzDa6B3utgQ9heXgxrFNganikn-dpPVV7V3_opDxhSAiGAPLhLQSj7Lkxth4H5wZ209tPe4g9lrbYxEo40MDyn7wUt-EuyeJ1esgoesnYNSHJTKplNMfSl0cTWD40fXYD6iZwjbuQnu3u8AQFVHHZWkZ5SZtDsVwK9eAYyUcuObt53giE6V2LoXUP6X__fLHngwpZxGHD65JSEC4ieiHZa1TKmlKoctbGOS3c0DQ7rjn8shWUts9PVZNsCP9_jK6QwpWIocpz2QIR2FoQHlqZKb7DSedeX0-V2pGdCrLAxvd2gqz6kxGYweW_s4E9JVjNKZ0XxGvPkvSaLRmLR9FMTaVUy3Z68GxggV6dQ12hrbnZLPeHeU-NirP9qdl3x4jg5MLww9hxHi2TnabDezcMZmDjc5_kgJKqjMlXz=w400-h231-no

International:
l78iY2cj7qIo7iOxrRDIw5rNJBj8eEhhp2r6ky-VzqpHNA2R35jyKIe3jF4VX0vn9i4VbplQi7jwzPeDgaAW6Cywv8h9kkNyYACev_j06teMwd95kpMzBT0BjfWKoY2IRhuuXpopKQQDRK2lFLPL7hfeUd38YMHWX6g56MX7XyJVB-JpA1bGOFAp9lnx37Ps6HSamCkJKkTxqc_IqF772cxQXmLwU8Itzb0WfCmt-pgyH-x35gg07xeyAV6Fkqko54myp9idPPgunThwa0n9vKbm4tCnKi4R2qU3YZ6uIU4J2XxDB9l3GSvw9ZZNeeDNmk5lWWlC8twf5oMZ1Ruj-gZu-RdpRqs8LWNb_DpfVffzROJH3fNaf7-0L7sTAO4SK0JsJEwFvWnoQELUF-qcCzzmEDQQPqj1PJpCIuMHIpT2j275DJeHcE8_KKQty8lf1ijsmTbqRRXtR4qTgVVxEkmXW-JxnBRUF2Hp10RIfsQZQRbn4FoJmmkWOpQoRdmeJcjPIC0v6s0FY--AzVPqJ_NmiyYLeJIByjK69EM7x28fFYdRWPuSImMbuSWCyo0w9Ts5_OwIre0a2GOI1wLLryXi-RtPOCg1DTtkPepvEB-6LyGccKy7sjCICS2o13PfBgw7KwJcbiFmcNTEHTMDb5Ll9tHETWtA=w400-h241-no

As always, the additional scenes:

Spoiler

A far longer scene of Gyeom and Saimdang painting and spending time together on Mt. Geumgang, juxtaposed with their younger selves, including flashbacks from their courtship in their youth to all they have gone through, meeting again as adults.

Gyeom reads Saimdang's farewell letter and cries out her name in grief, before finally bowing his head in abject defeat, the last part of which we never saw in SBS.

A longer scene of the moment Saimdang is placed under house arrest. We see YWS hovering after Mdm Kwon, sympathising with her when she says she has not eaten and finds it difficult to go to the toilet. Just then the authorities arrive and place them under house arrest pending investigation into claims that their confiscated accounts show suspicious illegal transactions. When Saimdang protests that they have always been transparent in their dealings, YWS demands to know what they have done wrong, and asks if they know whom the house belongs to, announcing himself as 5th rank official in the Department of Translations (he got promoted after his fiasco??). Regardless, the police barks that this is a royal command, and starts to seal off their house. As YWS asks Saimdang what is going on, Mdm Kwon says that she is not related to them (hah!) and asks them to let her go, but is ordered to go back into the house. She whines that she is shocked by their yelling, and whines that her baby is also frightened, to which YWS quickly ushers her protectively back into the house. Saimdang's children asks what they should do, and she tells them to wait and that everything will be alright.

A longer scene of SJY struggling with Prof. Min's goons and falling off the roof, however on to a red canvas, not blue as seen in the SBS version.

Preview shows CEO Heo ranting at Prof. Min for not destroying the real painting after having told him countless times that it cannot be allowed to exist. Meanwhile, Director Sun visits SJY at the hospital and says that she does not wish to miss out on the final chance SJY gave her, to make Sun Gallery the foremost art gallery, outside of CEO Heo's intervention.

Episode 27

Seo Ji Yun tells Shin Saimdang in order to save Yi Gyeom, he must escape to China (Ming Dynasty) then through the silk road to go Goa, India (天竺國,천축국, ancient name for India) to meet Catholic Jesuit Priest Francis Xavier (方濟沙勿略 방제- 方濟略 1506-1552) that will lead him to Italy

@gerrytan8063 I agree. While some scenes are improved in the reedits, overall and narratively, the original remains far more superior. Why SBS, why?? And it irks me so much that the ratings are low and reviews are disparaging, particularly when these are based on a weaker version. :crazy:

@liddi

" I agree. While some scenes are improved in the reedits, overall and narratively, the original remains far more superior. Why SBS, why?? And it irks me so much that the ratings are low and reviews are disparaging, particularly when these are based on a weaker version. "

No matter whatever the ratings were or the influences of political stalemate was at play......we will have to trust with our own viewership that this drama indeed did provide us with enjoyment & entertainment & the comprehensive discussion we had on the thread

5 hours ago, Alilla said:

Daebak….ep 27 make me cried really hard..:cry::cry:

The preview of ep 28 too is DAEBAK.

LG can feel saimdang will be dying soon….he got crazy sadly :cry::cry:

Hope SJY can meet the chief of RADE.

The thing is, it is quite tiring, crying after watching it not for two episodes but four episodes for one week.... (sbs + international versions)

@liddi, how perceptive you are..... Your question about the change of colour make me feel curious too.  Is there a reason ... hmmmm  I wonder.

Saimdang and Gyeom's time on Mt. Geumgang outdoes even the already beautiful edit in the SBS version. In a moving yet poignant sequence, they paint together, which juxtaposes into their younger selves with their interactions mirroring their older counterparts... and we finally see the fulfilment of a promise made 20 years ago. We are taken through a series of achingly beautiful flashback  

Yes, I love the part where both of them painting and then their brushes met at the middle. .... Love what you have posted and described in details about their moment.  I do wonder however the painting that Saimdang burnt before she went back home. Was it the one that she painted herself before Gyeum came? (The painting when she was just arrived before)

surprise. surprise. Min Seok is alive. :)  Best present ever for JY when she opens her eye. 

A very touching moment when Min Seok reunited with his mom and son at home. 

7yi7vSm.jpg

pKiVSWd.jpg

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5k1upu_ep27bittersweet_tv

it's a good decision for this reunion not in the final episode. 

otherwise the final is too cramped with quite a number of issues to be addressed.

Archived