[Drama 2017] Saimdang, Light's Diary 사임당, 빛의 일기

Kaizen68

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Episode 19

It seems Hwieumdang sold another Water-moon Avalokiteshvara (수월관음도 , 水月觀音圖) to the Japanese

34276418886_41d2c689bf_n.jpg

34159405772_b89c6ca868.jpg

Water-moon Avalokiteshvara (수월관음도 , 水月觀音圖) currently in Metropolitan Museum of Art New York circa Goryeo 14th century

33300537366_98fed27152_n.jpg

Water-moon Avalokiteshvara (수월관음도 , 水月觀音圖) at Eunpyeongsa temple

Water-moon Avalokitesvara dramatically depicts the mental struggles of humans who come to realise that the moon reflected in the water is not the actual moon in the sky. It shows worshippers who, upon reaching the end of their mental struggle, have arrived at nirvana under the protection of Guanyin (觀音) or Gwan Eum (관음) Bodhisattva, a reincarnation of the Amitabha Buddha.

1 hour ago, liddi said:

Just noticed that Saimdang international version has come to iflix! Though only up to Ep26 so far, it looks like the English subs are from Oh!K so I am a happy camper :) 

Thanks for the info.  I did check a few weeks ago, hoping that it will there.  At that time it wasn't there yet.  So now we have a few other languages :D to refer to.  

2 hours ago, gerrytan8063 said:

@lusciousgy

"do we get 1 ep for this week?"

We had 2 episode this week

SBS version Episode 26 & 27

International version Episode 27 & 28

SBS Version Final Episode is on 4th May while International version will finished its original edit at 30 episodes

thanks...i'm so sorry they decided to cut it...just 2 more ep?

This is purely dramatic licensing 

Yi Gyeom arrives in Goa India in May 1542, just in time to witness St Francis Xavier's Goa Miracle which is known as the resurrection miracle

As the story goes...Once when Saint Francis Xavier was in Coimbatore, on the Pearl Fishery Coast, in Goa, India, he was getting ready to start a mass in a small church when all of a sudden a group of people burst into the church carrying the body of a small boy who had drowned in a well. St Francis had baptised the boy, and when his mother saw her son lifeless, she threw herself at St Francis' feet & begged him to save her son. St Francis Xavier recited a short prayer, took the boy by his hand & ordered him to life. He was resurrected immediately and ran to his mothers side.

33050984123_ffb7dd77cb.jpg

Peter Paul Ruben's painting depicting the Miracles of St Francis Xavier in Goa India as said to have been depicted in May 1542, commission in 1617/18 by the Jesuits Order in Antwerp as St Francis Xavier was soon to be beatified in 1619. Francis Xavier dominates the scene as the “missionary to the Asian peoples”, his left hand pointing to Fides, the personification of faith, his right hand extended towards the toppling idols, & his gaze turned to the listeners and supplicants.  The blind man on the right, with outstretched arms, while the left foreground deathly pale figures are rising from their graves

33708152512_b2f3169bb1.jpg

“missionary to the Asian peoples”....the group of listeners and observers, who, keeping a respectful distance, are bathed in bright light...

32941557263_a40c1d2cca.jpg

it is said that Yi Gyeom is immortalised in Ruben's painting "man in a Korean Costume"

3 hours ago, gerrytan8063 said:

@lusciousgy

SBS Version Final Episode is on 4th May while International version will finished its original edit at 30 episodes

Sorry to ask this late...

What's the difference between SBS and international version? Is the first more concise than the latter? Does the latter have more scenes of Saimdang & Lee Gyeom together?

I watch it streaming from dramafire or gooddrama. I guess both are the SBS version. 

Where can I watch the international version? Do you think it would be better to watch the final episodes in international version?

7 hours ago, Yongzura said:

The thing is, it is quite tiring, crying after watching it not for two episodes but four episodes for one week.... (sbs + international versions)

I'm watching Saimdang: the light's diary since week 1 but I'm new to this thread. As I read through the thread you mentioned the international version of Saimdang in which there are more scenes which are removed as it was shortened by 2 episodes. 

I just want to ask you whether where can I watch the international version of Saimdang (I'm from the Philippines) with english subtitles.

3 hours ago, gerrytan8063 said:

I just want to ask where can I watch the international version of Saimdang with english subtitles ( I'm from the Philippines) :)

@Anna Trespeces

"I just want to ask you whether where can I watch the international version of Saimdang (I'm from the Philippines) with english subtitles."

If you have Oh!K channel in your cable, they provide English subtitles.

I can only provide you link from GTV Taiwan or HK-TVB Hong Kong which only provide Chinese subtitles

GMA Network is broadcasting Saimdang but I don't know which version

@Anna Trespeces @peyutnduy Saimdang international version with English, Malay, Chinese, Indonesian and Indian Burmese subtitles is available on iflix up to Ep26 currently (though Eps 27 and 28 should be up soon). Iflix can be watched in the following countries:

Asia: Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, Maldives, Myanmar, Pakistan, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Thailand, and Vietnam.
Middle East: Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia

So if you are from these countries, you can sign up for a 30-day free trial (if you are not yet an iflix subscriber) and watch there.

Note: Apparently English subs for Ep16 are not available, and I have written to iflix to ask if this can be rectified.

@peyutnduy The international version is the original edit. Apart from more scenes, it also has better narration, balancing the past and present timelines far more seamlessly and revealing them in parallel. SBS is faster in pacing, but loses more in detail and has a lopsided narrative, emphasising more on the historical timeline, and rushing through the modern timeline. Hope this helps!

8 minutes ago, liddi said:

Saimdang international version with English, Malay, Chinese, Indonesian and Indian subtitles is available on iflix up to Ep26 currently (though Eps 27 and 28 should be up soon). Iflix can be watched in the following countries:

I looked it up but it's only up to episode 24 episode 25-26 are missing

1 minute ago, Anna Trespeces said:

I looked it up but it's only up to episode 24 episode 25-26 are missing

That's strange. I just had a look and I can see that Ep27 has just been posted. Perhaps you can check again later. I am not sure how the airing schedules differ from country to country...

1 minute ago, saimdang said:

King's Guard :heart: and Lee Gyeom's Aunt :heart:  

King's guard saved him as a child even though he was ordered to kill all royal family ?  and loved him to the end..wow 

Right.. I was touched too. Lee Gyeom is loved bu many. How is Lee Gyeom related to the king by the way? Sorry if you guys have discussed this before. 

@Farah Ayuni

" How is Lee Gyeom related to the king by the way?"

Jungjong & Yi Gyeom are descendant of Sejong the Great & Queen Soheon

Jungjong is the descendant from Sejong the Great & Queen Soheon's 2nd son Grand Prince Suyang Yi Yu later Sejo while Yi Gyeom is from Sejong the Great & Queen Soheon's 4th son Grand Prince Imyeong Yi Gu

Yi Gyeom is from the Jeonju Yi clan which is Joseon Royal Household & therefore will have the Princedom investiture title of Uiseong-gun

32498616650_331bff06ed_z.jpg

It is written Descendant from Jeongju Yi, Yi Gyeom

Although Yi Gyeom is a fictitious character but he is loosely based on Court painter Yi Am who is also descendant from Grand Prince Imyeong Yi Gu & also did the Royal Portrait of Jungjong, although there is slight variants in the later generation between Yi Gyeom & Yi Am

12 minutes ago, Jay Gatsby said:

Ep 27 was so touching. 

In my country, they didn't like SJY's husband return. They were very angry :D

Hahaha. My whole household too. We are so hoping for the slightest chance of SJY and the modern Lee Gyeom. But it doesn't look that way now. Sigh. 

1 hour ago, Farah Ayuni said:

Hahaha. My whole household too. We are so hoping for the slightest chance of SJY and the modern Lee Gyeom. But it doesn't look that way now. Sigh. 

Exactly! They told me that didn't have any emotion about the reunion and they cried so hard about LG and SID's scenes :D

Archived