[Drama 2017] Saimdang, Light's Diary 사임당, 빛의 일기

Kaizen68

TODAY EP ENDED WITH GYEUM AND SS FACE TO FACE AFTER SO MANY YEARS

NEXT EP WE WILL HAVE MORE OTP SCENE

HE WILL SENT HER A PAINTING THAT DOG PAINTING

GYEUM WORKING FOR THE KING

MIN PLOTING

SS WILL WATCH THE KING FROM FAR AND WILL REMEMBER THAT HE WAS THE ONE THAT KILLED HER FATHER!

WHERE IS SS FOOLISH HUSBAND ?IS HE RUINED?HE SOLD THEIR HYNYANG HOUSE?WHAT A LOSER!

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Episode 5

Shin Saimdang's youngest child who fell ill this episode in the drama is said to be called Wu, therefore presume to be Oksan Yi Wu (옥산 이우,玉山李瑀, 1542-1609) although the drama is circa at 1540. For dramatic licensing, there is some departure from history timeline that time had been compressed to give the impression that things happened closer together than they actually did or along a different timeline

pj3-9.jpg

Oksan Yi Wu (옥산 이우,玉山李瑀, 1542-1609)'s painting of the chrysanthemum (Guk Hwa Do ,국화도, 菊花圖)

b0053005_587870e5795e0.jpg

Shin Saimdang's daughter  Yi Mae Chang (이매창, 李梅窓 1529-1592) painting of plum trees

The location of An Gyeon Geumgangsan

Episode 5

Shin Samidang remove An Gyeon Geumgangsan from the walls of Ojukhheon in 1540 which means the painting wouldn't have been at Ojukheon during the restoration in 1996. Shin Saimdang tries to return the painting back to the sender (Yi Gyeom) but was return to her. We presume that she took the painting with her to Hanyang (present day Seoul). The question is whether or not she "pawn" the painting for Yi Wu medical expenses

What is Seo Ji Yun driving a drunkard around?

In Korea there is a service called "Daeri Unjeon" (대리운전) literally means replacement or substitute drivers which are driver for hire when you are inebriated or times that you are too tired to drive 

An article regarding this services

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20140305000805

On 26/1/2017 at 2:35 PM, gerrytan8063 said:

The scene open in Bologna, Italy in 1551 where Yi Gyeom paint a portrait of Shin Saimdang as he remembers her. Yi Gyeom is in artistic madness as this is the year that Shin Saimdang passed away in 1551

It starts out with the authenticity of persumely An Gyeon's Geumgangsan is in dispute as the era of the paper it is mounted on shown as a later date (Edo Period), which will be the 16th century & not the 15 century where the era An Gyeon had lived

Bologna? Actually, the Korean subs say "Toscana" (Tuscany), and Bologna is in Emilia. I live in Tuscany (Florence), but I have never seen that palace... It seems more recent (not from the XVI century... Maybe XVII?). 

Episode 5

In the drama, Mrs Shin distributing her asset between her 5 daughter through the document Bunjaegi (분재기, 分財記, Written Record of How One's Assets Will be Distributed within Their Family) written by Mrs Shin still exist today, under the family property of the Deoksu Yi clan. Bunjaegi ( 분재기) property inheritance documents. The document is written in Idu Script (이두, 吏讀), using Chinese characters based on Korean sound (phonetics)

400px-Isibunjaegi454.gif

9 hours ago, jerboa83 said:

Bologna? Actually, the Korean subs say "Toscana" (Tuscany), and Bologna is in Emilia. I live in Tuscany (Florence), but I have never seen that palace... It seems more recent (not from the XVI century... Maybe XVII?). 

I found out that the castle were the scenes were filmed is actually in Parma's Province, in the countryside: http://www.roccadisoragna.it/ 

Here's an article (in Italian) published in 2015: http://www.gazzettadiparma.it/news/soragna/315014/Dall-Oriente-sboccia-l-amore-per.html

SALA-STUCCHI.jpg150250li%20Lupi%20Soragna%20aerea.jpg

48786_thumb_laghetto_2.jpg

Spoiler

Soragna_B6148-400x266.jpg

Spoiler

150249image_mbnail.aspx.jpg

@jerboa83

Thank you for the Italian location

This is part of Song Seung Heon's interview.....the filming location is Firenze (Florence?), Italy

https://hype.my/2016/128737/hypes-exclusive-lee-young-ae-sheds-light-on-saimdang-사임당-future-plans/

" “Saimdang” was filmed for a duration of approximately one year. Due to that, we managed to capture scenes of all four seasons – Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter. We did our best to film this drama and I hope that viewers will not miss out on any of the episodes. In the first episode, there is a picturesque scene filmed in Firenze, Italy. This will allow viewers to see the harmony between East and West. There are elements of fantasy that transcend time between past and present which I think is quite interesting. "

Thank you @jerboa83 for the information.  The place is beautiful.  They are able to portray it for us to use our own imagination of what happened there at that time.

and thank you @gerrytan8063 for the facts.  The artistic skills does run in her family. I have a question : In the scene when Lee Gyum ran away from the wedding ceremony.... So the marriage is already done since he asked for it to be annulled. I would like to know until which step in the process does the marriage is considered valid according to the culture. Thank you.

Oh yes, the cinematography when Saimdang and her family members were on their way to Hanyang... wow, It was beautifully done.

10 hours ago, 0ly40 said:

OST part 2: Kim Yoon Ah - Year

Thanks @0ly40 The lyric is also as beautiful as the paintings plus her unique voice.

KIM YOON AH – KITE (연) SAIMDANG: LIGHT’S DIARY OST

RATE THIS

The place I long for even in my dreams
The quiet light of the water
Dawn is becoming less
Far in the distance

In the lonely sky
Through the faraway moonlight
Birds are flying
Dizzily

The sad wind
Makes my heart scatter
I miss the song
Of the day that won’t ever come back again

The withering flowers
The scattering kite
Endlessly fall
Sadly fall

Beautiful dear
Some day
Sing me that song again

The place I long for even in my dreams
The quiet light of the water
Dawn is becoming less
Far in the distance

In the lonely sky
Through the faraway moonlight
Birds are flying
Dizzily

The sad wind
Makes my heart scatter
I miss the song
Of the day that won’t ever come back again

The withering flowers
The scattering kite
Endlessly fall
Sadly fall

Beautiful dear
When will you come back?

Beautiful dear
Sing me that song again

cr: Popgasa

Episode 5

You may notice that Shin Saimdang address Yulgok Yi I as Hyeon Ryeong  (현룡, 見龍). It is Yulgok Yi I's courtesy name (表字,称字, 자/字). Young Yi I was too busy reading the classics & forgot to take care of Yi Wu who was playing mischief in the kitchen

RO64698830_w1000_h0.jpg

The drama shown 4 of the fame offspring of Shin Saimdang - her eldest Yi Seon, Yi Mae Chang (daughter), Yulgok Yi I & Oksan Yi Wu, although she did have 7 children

Yi Seon playing games with neighbourhood children. Yi Mae Chang playing with her mother make-up kit, Yulgok Yi I too busy reading & Oksan Yi Wu playing with flour

@Yongzura

" In the scene when Lee Gyum ran away from the wedding ceremony.... So the marriage is already done since he asked for it to be annulled. I would like to know until which step in the process does the marriage is considered valid according to the culture. Thank you. "

Yi Gyeom walks or storm out of the wedding ceremony therefore deem void since he didn't go through the process & wreck the marriage altar. Yi Gyeom asked to void the marriage as divorce or annul in Joseon era require the approval of the King. Jungjong barter the consent of the annulment for Yi Gyeom service to the court

Traditionally, a wedding or marriage must be consent & witness by the elders then the marriage is enter into the genealogy book (Jokbo, 족보,族譜, Clan Register)

@andy78

" Why SS husband sold house?Why was she left alone with her children?Both SS and JY husbands are fugitives!!! "

Shin Saimdang husband was con so he needs to sell off or was the collateral the Hanyang house to pay creditor. Just as Seo Ji Yun's husband is running away from creditors, although it seems his "troubles" had link with Director Sun & her gallery & An Gyeon Geumgangsan painting

The shanty house that Shin Saimdang bought is currently in Sujin Bang (수진 ,壽進 , near Gwanghwamun, one of the 6 districts - 육방제도,六房制度 under the control of the Hanseongbu - Hanyang Magistrate ). The former occupant was the Deposed Queen Shin. Deposed Queen Shin of Geochang clan (폐비 신씨, 廢妃 愼氏 1476-1537). She was the Queen Consort to Yeonsangun (10th Joseon King). When she died, she was given the title Princess Consort Geochang (거창군부인, 居昌郡夫人)

31952447334_56f7a2dbe3_b.jpg

Sujin Bang (수진 ,壽進房) is located under "2,271"

@jerboa83

Since you are in Florence, please confirm.....

RO78643349_w1000_h0.jpg

This landscape is Florence, although Professor Min & Seo Ji Yun was suppose to have the art conference in Bologna

RO58693615_w1000_h0.jpg

Some locations presume to be in Florence & Soragna Castle, Parma which may help you with location hunting

Spoiler

RO63698299_w1000_h0.jpg

SALA-GROTTESCHE-1.jpg

RO99931561_w1000_h0.jpg

150249image_mbnail.aspx.jpg&key=b67dc0922841c51c7a0f11c55c7ab0e05810500ccdf292a4f5f2c56ac1facac1

RO82826237_w1000_h0.jpg

RO55277425_w1000_h0.jpg

RO19671669_w1000_h0.jpg

RO47120578_w1000_h0.jpg

RO72166682_w1000_h0.jpg

Wow that chair at the corridor had not been move for 500 years

"Saimdang: Light's Diary" Lee Young-ae goes down a thorny path while Oh Yoon-ah bears spite

Spoiler

photo817251.jpg

Lee Young-ae walked down a thorny path in the past and in the present. Oh Yoon-ah's hatred for Lee Young-ae continued to grow.

On the fifth episode of the SBS drama "Saimdang: Light's Diary", Saimdang (Lee Young-ae) went to Hanyang.

Saimdang and her sisters were divided of their father's inheritance after he died. Unlike her sisters who wanted her share of the inheritance, Saimdang asked for her father's books. Later, Yool Gok's second son Lee Hyeon-ryong asked his mother why she only made him babysit his brother Lee Woo. "Don't you want me to write better than brother?" His mother replied, "Look after Woo until you find an answer to that question".

Saimdang was getting ready to move when she found some things that reminded her of the time she had with Lee Gyeom (Song Seung-heon). She sent him the Geumkangsan map, but he sent it back to her angrily. Lee Gyeom ran out of his wedding and watched as Saimdang left.

Hwieumdang (Oh Yoon-ah) showed off her drawing skills in a group of mothers of the school children. Prior to the king's visit, a slave accidentally broke a white porcelain and and Hwieumdang's husband Min Chi-hyeong (Choi Cheol-heo) cruelly killed him.

Lee Gyeom also went to Hanyang. He asked Joong-jong (Choi Jong-hwan) to cancel his marriage. Joong-jong said Lee Gyeom had to stay with him in return for cancelling his marriage. Min Chi-hyeong was aware of Lee Gyeom who seemed to be Joong-jong's favorite and had been keeping tabs on him for the last 20 years. Hwieumdang was surprised to hear about Lee Gyeom.

Saimdang came to her Hanyang house and found out her husband Lee Won-soo (Yoon Da-hoon) had vouched for the wrong person and their house had been sold. Saimdang tried to get a new house, but all that was left was a run-down shack. The present day Seo Ji-yoon (Lee Young-ae) was also making extra money by substitute driving, but one day she met a sexual harasser. Han Sang-hyeon (Yang Se-jong) helped her out of it. Seo Ji-yoon came home exhausted and looked at the Portrait of a Beauty and asked, "Why have you appeared in front of me?"

Back in the Joseon times, Lee Gyeom played the Gayageum instead of drawing like Min Chi-hyeong asked. Hiweumdang peeked at him and almost cried in longing but changed faces as soon as Lee Gyeom said, "Nice to meet you". She felt spiteful and recalled the time when Min Chi-hyeong ordered his men to find the owner of the hair ribbon and to kill her.

Saimdang sold the present she got from Lee Gyeom to get money for Lee Woo's medicine. Lee Gyeom found this at the market and drank in pain. He went to see Saimdang.

http://www.hancinema.net/spoiler-saimdang-light-s-diary-lee-young-ae-goes-down-a-thorny-path-while-oh-yoon-ah-bears-spite-103083.html

interesting ep...the story is so sad...

According to Nielsen Korea, the KBS 2TV drama "Chief Kim" rated 15.5% on the 8th. This is 1.7% more than the previous episode. It easily surpassed MBC "Missing 9" and SBS "Saimdang: Light's Diary". Meanwhile, "Missing 9" and "Saimdang: Light's Diary" rated 3.8% and 10.7% respectively.

Source : www.xportsnews.com/?a...

http://www.hancinema.net/chief-kim-increases-three-episodes-in-a-row-103081.html

second place it seems

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Saimdang: Light's Diary" Episode 5

photo817543.jpg

Spoiler

Lee Gyeom and Saimdang have tragically separated, off to live their own lives. That is, until the cliffhanger, when by fate they finally happen to meet again...and you know, that's the main issue I have with "Saimdang: Light's Diary". Considering that the framing device is literally academic research, one would think this drama would be more interested in the historical record. But no, rather than get exposition of Saimdang's life and accomplishments, we have to watch her suffer for not being with her one true love.

It's just so cheesy- and only made worse by the drama's more relatable moments. For most of the runtime here Saimdang struggles with trying to provide for a bunch of children in the midst of a bad housing situation. Sad and discouraging as the situation may be, Saimdang really womans up to make helping her family the number one priority, knowing that no one else will fill that gap if she doesn't. In her best moments, Saimdang is quite stoic.

Then the story switches back over to Lee Gyeom doing ministerial stuff and I could not be more bored. Most of the men in this drama are rather forgettable really. With Won-soo (played by Yoon Da-hoon) that is at least sort of the point. The guy's so much of a dope he's zero help to his own wife, leaving Saimdang to solve problems that he created alone. This incidentally would be a very good parallel with Ji-yoon's modern day situation, so it's not really clear to me why Won-soo and Min-seok are being played by different actors.

The modern day framing device isn't doing too hot right now either unfortunately. Far from discussing anything academically related to Saimdang, Ji-yoon just engages in degrading economic survivalism. That too could potentially work as a parallelism with Saimdang's problems, except that we already saw Ji-yoon suffer from the housing crisis over the last several episodes, so that plotline is completely out of synch with the past one.

For all these glaring problems I do have to admit the issues are more with "Saimdang: Light's Diary" being excessively generic than being explicitly bad. This is a drama that comes with very high expectations, centering around a historical figure whose name is more famous than her story. And yet...neither writer Park Eun-ryeong nor director Yoon Sang-ho have any sort of experience with semi-realistic historical dramas. Well, that explains a lot.

Review by William Schwartz

http://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-drama-review-saimdang-light-s-diary-episode-5-103099.html

one more article...thanks @gerrytan8063 for updates...

'Saimdang' shunned by more TV viewers, 'Good Manager' rises

SEOUL, Feb. 9 (Yonhap) -- "Saimdang, Memoir of Colors," SBS TV's big-budget series starring Lee Young-ae, suffered another blow as its competitor "Good Manager" enjoyed a steady rise in ratings, data showed Thursday.

According to Nielsen Korea, Wednesday's episode five of "Saimdang" recorded a 10.7-percent nationwide viewership, dropping 1.6 percentage points from last week's episode.

In this file photo, Lee Young-ae of SBS TV's "Saimdang, Memoir of Colors," poses for the camera during a media event held Jan. 24, 2017 at the Lotte Hotel in Seoul. (Yonhap) In this file photo, Lee Young-ae of SBS TV's "Saimdang, Memoir of Colors," poses for the camera during a media event held Jan. 24, 2017 at the Lotte Hotel in Seoul. (Yonhap)

The part fantasy, part period drama is loosely based on the life of Shin Saimdang, Korea's legendary icon of maternity from the Joseon period.

The show started out strong, with the first two back-to-back episodes on Jan. 26 and chalking up 15.6 percent and 16.3 percent nationwide viewership, respectively. But the show started to struggle afterwards. The latest episode gave more screen time to the adult Saimdang played by Lee, a mega "hallyu" star of the famed TV show "Daejanggeum," but apparently this still wasn't enough to stop viewers from going elsewhere.

Spoiler

This composite photo captured from KBS 2TV's "Good Manager" shows actor Nam Gung-min playing accountant Kim Sung-ryong at the fictional TQ Group. (Yonhap)

This composite photo captured from KBS 2TV's "Good Manager" shows actor Nam Gung-min playing accountant Kim Sung-ryong at the fictional TQ Group. (Yonhap)

"Good Manager," KBS 2TV's office comedy that airs in the same timeslot as "Saimdang," attracted more viewers. Episode five on Wednesday recorded 15.5 percent viewership, up 1.7 percentage points from last week.

The Wednesday-Thursday comedy series stars Nam Gung-min as Kim Sung-ryong, an accountant at the fictional TQ Group and a genius at misappropriating corporate funds for personal use. He inadvertently ends up fighting against greater corruption within the workplace to save the ailing company.

It also boasts a strong supporting cast, including actress Nam Sang-mi, idol singer Junho of group 2PM and veteran character actor Park Young-gyu.

MBC TV's island castaway series "Missing 9" trailed far behind, with viewership for Wednesday's episode falling further to 3.8 percent.

odissy@yna.co.kr

(END)

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/culturesports/2017/02/09/0701000000AEN20170209004300315.htm

more bad news ...i'm so sorry my friends...

35 minutes ago, andy78 said:

more bad news ...i'm so sorry my friends...

I think this drama is too heavy and serious. Because based on real figures, the script writer can not freely make an interesting story. A love story between Saimdang and Lee Gyoum also unreasonable. Lee Gyoum still love Saimdang even after she has married another man and has many children. It's seem their love story will not end happily. I've read comments from netizens who said do not want to watch the drama until the 30 episodes if it ultimately does not have a happy ending.

Archived