[Drama 2013/2014] King's Daughter, Soo Baek Hyang 제왕의 딸, 수백향

pangia

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@dimples21 you are right I am 100% made Jamaican consisting of friendly/warm people, beautiful island and a fair amount of feistiness/cheekiness to boot. I love our motto "Out of many, one people" it reminds me of soompi in a way - "Out of many, there is a k-addict" which is where we reside, communicate and just 'be'.  You are so right with our weather right now, it is perfect- sunny with warmth -no snow or freezing temperature for which I am extremely glad and boastful for. Jamaica is an island where you are also bound to find a Jamaican in just about every part of the world.   You will be surprised to find out that there are also many Jamaicans who are k-addicts out there, I am also guilty of the conversion/influence process.  Its' just that not everyone is as open about it.
@libby5602 I want to thank you for giving us watchers SBH appetizers, which definitely holds most of us over until the main meal which is me.  I do like them, I watch it raw live however as stated in previous posts the poor reception does not allow me to give decent recaps so its better for all to get it later.  
@andy78 thanks for your awesomeness, it is appreciated as for your comments on DR.  DR is first & foremost a good strategist/spy she has great insight and now is not the time to trust the prince with that piece of information.  Not all the players are in place on the board, evidence and otherwise, although there are players this game is not completely ready.  Sometimes withholding information is an asset that is what she is doing right now.  I want MN to undergo a little suffering in the future, MN is playing but he is not playing it is somewhat the same with the others as well.  Plus we as viewers are enjoying this game and are not ready to see it end so soon.  Although we are aware of DR being a spy for Koguryo, I trust in her abilities and her thought process, she is a master player.

I do enjoy being here reading the different perspectives on the show which gives most of us food for thought. Don't you notice we have been growing in pages of late?  and more viewers - you are all welcome.   Araminta pointed out that we have put too much focus on the girls and seem to have forgotten the other Pandora box which are the boys, she is right. Theirs is also a Pandora box and the repercussions especially in terms of the emotional aspect for the young men will be great specifically JM, if we think he's pitiful now imagine finding out that truth later.  You also have JM's aide with his screwed views of the king what will he think when the truth comes to light, GM will be more hurt than anything else that the king did not trust him with a secret of this size. Both stories when you think about it are being told in tandem its just that the sisters stories are taking priority right now.  
Na Eun's  (NE) i.e. SH's personal maid is a BM but her loyalties will be tested in the future.  Yes she knows SH but she does not  know SH in that what she states are based off observation alone as to her daily habits, yes SH has says some strange things but SH story of being "SBH" holds which will continue to do so until proven otherwise. The reason why I mention loyalty being tested is because of how she is being treated by SH which is very nice, she likes her and can make her a perfect aide for SH.  It is between BM & SH.  For now she is giving general information which holds weight but does not hold weight to some listeners.  For example in the case of MN it was more a brotherly concern the queries were made/ as spymaster it goes with his plan for the fake princess, it is also the same with DR for now.  However, the fact that SN mentions to DR that "SBH" habits are similar to her sister's is to be noted.  For NE telling these persons general information on SH holds no weight, however for the listeners i.e. SN, DR and MN it does and will.
As said in a previous post one of the reasons why SH will escape from the consequences of her 'bad actions' is that there is always someone to take the fall for it.  In this case, sending the real princess as a fake princess as a hostage who so happens to be a spy is a huge benefit to her as should SN be caught or killed its nothing for her.  The proof is eliminated, SH can live completely free as "SBH" should that happen, she is protected for good and though JM knows the truth will not be able to do anything per se to prove it.  When you think about it should SH find out what SN is doing it is possible for her to try and ensure that SH is removed in Koguryo, she is a cuckoo/poisonous flower after all.
See you later today, take care.

Araminta Jouana said: Well in this episode, i just felt my anger unleashed ! SH is such little b.tch ! What ?! She already considers her double like a dead girl ! I really hope that in th end, she will suffer a lot and not some shallow moral suffering ! An agonising non ending suffering ! She really is shallow in everything ! Where is the kindness of heart for someone who will take the hurt for her ?!  B.tch !

Well there was two great and heart-breaking point today !!!
- it was poetic (and candidely sensual) how MN marked SN in hurt and blood...and became his master. It looked like he was engraving himself on her, right ?! Dorim did tell him to put the mark on her for her to listen to him (to belong to him, don't you think)... Holala, i have my way with overthinking everything ^^;
-The second one was the meeting with the king. SN really have the same figure than her mother.

ps: The version of the Jeongeupsa interpreted by Seo Hyun Jin was very nice too.

chasen8888 said: @dimples21 you are right I am 100% made Jamaican consisting of friendly/warm people, beautiful island and a fair amount of feistiness/cheekiness to boot. I love our motto "Out of many, one people" it reminds me of soompi in a way - "Out of many, there is a k-addict" which is where we reside, communicate and just 'be'.  You are so right with our weather right now, it is perfect- sunny with warmth -no snow or freezing temperature for which I am extremely glad and boastful for. Jamaica is an island where you are also bound to find a Jamaican in just about every part of the world.   You will be surprised to find out that there are also many Jamaicans who are k-addicts out there, I am also guilty of the conversion/influence process.  Its' just that not everyone is as open about it.
@libby5602 I want to thank you for giving us watchers SBH appetizers, which definitely holds most of us over until the main meal which is me.  I do like them, I watch it raw live however as stated in previous posts the poor reception does not allow me to give decent recaps so its better for all to get it later.  
@andy78 thanks for your awesomeness, it is appreciated as for your comments on DR.  DR is first & foremost a good strategist/spy she has great insight and now is not the time to trust the prince with that piece of information.  Not all the players are in place on the board, evidence and otherwise, although there are players this game is not completely ready.  Sometimes withholding information is an asset that is what she is doing right now.  I want MN to undergo a little suffering in the future, MN is playing but he is not playing it is somewhat the same with the others as well.  Plus we as viewers are enjoying this game and are not ready to see it end so soon.  Although we are aware of DR being a spy for Koguryo, I trust in her abilities and her thought process, she is a master player.

I do enjoy being here reading the different perspectives on the show which gives most of us food for thought. Don't you notice we have been growing in pages of late?  and more viewers - you are all welcome.   Araminta pointed out that we have put too much focus on the girls and seem to have forgotten the other Pandora box which are the boys, she is right. Theirs is also a Pandora box and the repercussions especially in terms of the emotional aspect for the young men will be great specifically JM, if we think he's pitiful now imagine finding out that truth later.  You also have JM's aide with his screwed views of the king what will he think when the truth comes to light, GM will be more hurt than anything else that the king did not trust him with a secret of this size. Both stories when you think about it are being told in tandem its just that the sisters stories are taking priority right now.  
Na Eun's  (NE) i.e. SH's personal maid is a BM but her loyalties will be tested in the future.  Yes she knows SH but she does not  know SH in that what she states are based off observation alone as to her daily habits, yes SH has says some strange things but SH story of being "SBH" holds which will continue to do so until proven otherwise. The reason why I mention loyalty being tested is because of how she is being treated by SH which is very nice, she likes her and can make her a perfect aide for SH.  It is between BM & SH.  For now she is giving general information which holds weight but does not hold weight to some listeners.  For example in the case of MN it was more a brotherly concern the queries were made/ as spymaster it goes with his plan for the fake princess, it is also the same with DR for now.  However, the fact that SN mentions to DR that "SBH" habits are similar to her sister's is to be noted.  For NE telling these persons general information on SH holds no weight, however for the listeners i.e. SN, DR and MN it does and will.
As said in a previous post one of the reasons why SH will escape from the consequences of her 'bad actions' is that there is always someone to take the fall for it.  In this case, sending the real princess as a fake princess as a hostage who so happens to be a spy is a huge benefit to her as should SN be caught or killed its nothing for her.  The proof is eliminated, SH can live completely free as "SBH" should that happen, she is protected for good and though JM knows the truth will not be able to do anything per se to prove it.  When you think about it should SH find out what SN is doing it is possible for her to try and ensure that SH is removed in Koguryo, she is a cuckoo/poisonous flower after all.
See you later today, take care.

prissymom said:

Araminta Jouana said: Well in this episode, i just felt my anger unleashed ! SH is such little b.tch ! What ?! She already considers her double like a dead girl ! I really hope that in th end, she will suffer a lot and not some shallow moral suffering ! An agonising non ending suffering ! She really is shallow in everything ! Where is the kindness of heart for someone who will take the hurt for her ?!  B.tch !

Well there was two great and heart-breaking point today !!!
- it was poetic (and candidely sensual) how MN marked SN in hurt and blood...and became his master. It looked like he was engraving himself on her, right ?! Dorim did tell him to put the mark on her for her to listen to him (to belong to him, don't you think)... Holala, i have my way with overthinking everything ^^;
-The second one was the meeting with the king. SN really have the same figure than her mother.

ps: The version of the Jeongeupsa interpreted by Seo Hyun Jin was very nice too.

Guest rhainesu123

I just watched ep. 42. Beautiful.......@prissymom found the scene between the CP and SN sensual....better than torrid kissing/making out and I agree with her. But I was also holding my breath almost the entire tattooing scene, hoping that he would kiss the fresh tattoo to ease out her pain. Just a tender kiss to erase almost all the heartaches the CP gave her...... I cannot understand the Korean language but action is universal. There are 3 scenes that struck me in this episode. 1st was the tattooing scene that fed my overly romantic heart (I still wish that the CP placed a peck on the tattoo....there will be few chances that he'll be this close and personal :-* ), the 2nd was when she resolved to learn to become the princess, her process of transformation where you can really see the difference between her and SH. Does it go with the blood in your veins? Because SN is more dignified now as compared to SH. Very princessy (what! No such word?). DR taught her to smile without showing her real emotions and she is that now. CP beware. You should have been closer to her in the first part of this episode (the kiss/peck) but you missed your chance. Now it would be difficult to discern her emotions.......and the 3rd, when SN met the king. She may not be CH but her demeanor and stance is so much like CH now. Again, blood gravitates to their own, just like what JM an SN feel for each other so I think, in the next episode where the preview shows SN replacing SH now in the palace, the king will be drawn more to SN which he never felt so towards SH. When word about this gets to SH, the evil witch, she will probably contrive a scheme to harm/kill her "impostor" when she gets to Gogoryeo. I think SN will go to Gogoryeo as the princess. This is where her mettle as a spy will be tested. I think that her stint in Gogoryeo will greatly aid the CP later on when he becomes king in regaining back the Han River Valley. That is why, even if I soooooo want the CP and SN to be together later on as husband and wife, I think they will end up showing their love together differently, with SN supporting the CP in his quest to gain back the Han River Valley that Baekje lost to Gogoryeo years ago, for the children of Baekje......for their children........

Key Updated: Soo Baek Hyang -SBH, Crown Prince- MN, Seolnan- SN, Seolhi- SH, Grand Marshal -GM, Jinmu -JM,  fake name for  SH  SH/ “SBH”  or “SBH”, Toldae – TLD, Manggu – MGG, BI Moon –BM (spy unit), SL – Soup Lady/Yo Uki, Khobak – KBK, Kucheon –KC, Chae Hwa – CH, Training Chief – TC, Do Rim – DR, Na Eun/SH’s personal maid - NE.

There was a good amount of comments here and I so wanted to respond to some of them but I will delay until my thoughts, recapping is the priority right now.

Episode 42

Show starts with DR telling SN that MN will put the tattoo on her. MN appears to be nervous in placing the tattoo on SN, he asks where, she first was going to indicate the location of the other tattoo but she remembered DR’s words that no one is to see that tattoo.  SN then chose the other side of her back, MN starts putting the tattoo on her back, he tells her that it means that she will be a BM for the rest of her life etc.  I wonder if he is talking to distract both of them from what they are truly feeling as the scene is a bit sensual and disturbing at the same time, its like he's giving orders/advice and not encouragement, SN responds in kind.

Right now I am feeling sorry & sad for SN for knowingly letting herself being used by all for the sake of a tieffing wutless sister, in a way her mother’s concern for her came to pass as she worried that SN will live like her father always for someone else and never live for themselves.  The irony is that she would have done it anyway if the situation was reversed, because that is who she is – completely selfless for those that she loves.  After all this suffering and more to come, that she goes through she deserves a humongous reward in the end because it will be cruel to her and us if not given. Be forewarned PDs of the wrath of k addicts all over though it is early yet, it is mandatory that SN gets a richly deserving happy ending.

It’s a new day, TLD shows SL his tattoo which is on his chest, he is full of hope for both of them as he feels that he can do something worthwhile for their future.  He asks SL to wait a bit more for him, she says yes.  MGG is showing his tattoo to TLD/SL which is on his butt, MGG is talking about their assignments the guys ask her about hers which she said it was to be a princess.  TLD/MGG recalled the TC’s words to them at the house as to what they were to do, they guys decide to check out the truth of those words by going undercover.  They went by the prince quarters and overhear TC discussion and worries to MN about sending SN as the fake princess as a hostage to Koguryo.  They leave once they heard those words, meet & tell SN.  MN response to TC was a bit hard to TC (need subs).  SN thinks about what the guys told her and cries silently.  There is a queen/SH scene.

SN is in the solarium, upset with MN, JM comes in, she gives him flowers says she looks upset and gives her sweets, he is nice to her, DR enters.  If things were different they would have had a great brother/sister relationship.   SN says something nice about JM to DR, she meets MN gives him the flowers and reminds him of his promise to find her sister.  She is a bit fierce with him about her sister, SN has a new determination look in her eyes, she meets DR and is more disciplined in her training to be SBH. NE meets DR with SN in the background; DR asks about “SBH”, NE describes “SBH” daily activities, habits, visitors etc after giving this information she leaves.  It appears that SH knew this would happen, so NE relayed what transpired etc as to what her thoughts were as to the matter, NE is spying for SH.  NE is trying to encourage SH to see the fake princess.  SN says to DR that “SBH” would be easy to copy as they match that of her sister etc.

SN starts to intensify her training with her sister’s habits etc. with the theme song (think song is sung by SN herself), DR is pleased with SN’s progress.  SN is now dressed as princess SBH, DR smiles at her.  NE is telling SH that the king is meeting fake princess, she mentions that the person is from Gaya.  Basically SH does not care one bit as long she is not going its fine – I am ranting with you too Araminta here.  But it is not surprising considering that she has always been like that, as far as she is concerned that person should be honored to die for her that's SH for you.  DR meets the king and basically tells him that SN is ready she also gives him some advice as well as to not to like SN. The king wants to see SN.

The guys get ready to bring SN to the king, dressed as a princess they are shocked at her appearance etc.  SN is meeting the king with DR, MN, GM & the aide in the room.  SH muses as to being curious as to whom that person is. The show ends when SN greets and introduces herself to the king as princess SBH.  Preview the king & MN is pleased with the ‘fake princess’, SH goes in disguise to the solarium saying its strange, SN gets new quarters, DR gives SN a book to help her, Koguryo decides to confirm if the princess is fake via portrait.  I'm surprised that GM has not taken a good look at SN and realizes that she is the missing sister, would the next episode confirm his suspicions as to her identity.  Its like a selective memory right now.

Until my thoughts – which will be lengthy gone for now and take care.

I asked a Korean friend why CP has to be the one to engrave the tattoo on SN.  This is her reply:
비문의 주인과 맥을 내리는 것은 오직 왕이다.
 그러나 비문에게 맥 문신을 새기는 것은 왕이 명을 내리면 관계되는 사람들이 할 수있다. 
도림은 설난이 명농을 좋아한다는 마음을 눈치채고, 설난의 맥을 명농에게 부탁한다. 
겉으로는 설난이 명농의 말이라면 어떠한 일이라도 해낼 것이라 말하지만, 뛰어난 세작(스파이)인 도림의 눈으로 이미 두사람의 관계를 가장 먼저 눈치채고 있는 듯하다. 
그래서 설난이는 명농을 위해서 무슨 일이든 할수 있는 뛰어난 세작이 될 수 있기에 명농에게 그 기회를 부탁하는 것일지도 모른다.
그러나, 워낙 속을 알 수 없는 도림이다, 그 숨겨진 도림의 의도는 아직까지 정확하게 모르겠다.
I tried to translate to English using google, but I still cannot understand.  Maybe someone else would like to try to translate.

Guest canhnhuoctran

@prissymom I tried to google translate as well and just have a bit of ideas. The tattoo is a symbol of the King's men, a marking of possession almost. MN doesn't have to do the engraving. However, DR noticed that SN loves MN and MN does care for her so she wants him to do the engraving by saying that if he wants her to be the best spy and listens to his orders, he should do the engraving and so he did… Still don't know why DR would do it though. She's full of mystery.Btw, I think MN did say something like he did the engraving so SN is his [to order] when talking to the Bimun instructor.

After ep 42, I honestly want the Koguryo officer/messenger to doubt SN's identity as princess and asks to stay and observe for a while. That would give SN time to stay in the palace and enjoy a bit of luxury. In the mean time, she can totally build a good brother/sister relationship with JM (since the princess meets with him sometimes from what we know in her routines) and maybe makes MN jealous :D … I so look forward to this turn of events, at least before she comes to Koguryo and discovers all the lies and betrayal.

canhnhuoctran said: @prissymom I tried to google translate as well and just have a bit of ideas. The tattoo is a symbol of the King's men, a marking of possession almost. MN doesn't have to do the engraving. However, DR noticed that SN loves MN and MN does care for her so she wants him to do the engraving by saying that if he wants her to be the best spy and listens to his orders, he should do the engraving and so he did… Still don't know why DR would do it though. She's full of mystery.Btw, I think MN did say something like he did the engraving so SN is his [to order] when talking to the Bimun instructor.

Araminta Jouana said: canhnhuoctran said: @prissymom I tried to google translate as well and just have a bit of ideas. The tattoo is a symbol of the King's men, a marking of possession almost. MN doesn't have to do the engraving. However, DR noticed that SN loves MN and MN does care for her so she wants him to do the engraving by saying that if he wants her to be the best spy and listens to his orders, he should do the engraving and so he did… Still don't know why DR would do it though. She's full of mystery.Btw, I think MN did say something like he did the engraving so SN is his [to order] when talking to the Bimun instructor.

Guest canhnhuoctran

Araminta Jouana said: canhnhuoctran said: @prissymom I tried to google translate as well and just have a bit of ideas. The tattoo is a symbol of the King's men, a marking of possession almost. MN doesn't have to do the engraving. However, DR noticed that SN loves MN and MN does care for her so she wants him to do the engraving by saying that if he wants her to be the best spy and listens to his orders, he should do the engraving and so he did… Still don't know why DR would do it though. She's full of mystery.Btw, I think MN did say something like he did the engraving so SN is his [to order] when talking to the Bimun instructor.

My thoughts on Do Rim ~

***I don't think that Do Rim is the father of the CP nor JM. She's not the mother of JM because in the beginning many people including CH said that his (current king) Moo Ryung's first wife had died. I don't think she is the CP/MN's mother because he was born in the palace when his father was king and was a toddler when his father died something like that would be hard to keep secret, however, I do think that DR is some ones mom ..I think that she is the mother of the female spy that she and the TC discussed because their would be no need for her to be so forcefully concerned about her otherwise and perhaps that child's parent is royalty. Although the king says DR is alive because she's worth a 1000 soldiers, that- reason alone is not enough to keep her alive because she cost the lives of thousands and their is no reason to trust her, so he definitely knows something to keep her in check. I do believe that DR is going to be the one to disclose that SN is the true/real daughter to the king.. But right now I don't think that DR is too certain who SN is but is in the process of figuring it out. She is going to give the king back what she took from him which is his family. She took his father she's going to give him his daughter.

****SEOLNAN- After re-watching the first episode it's clear that SN had no idea of her true identity even after SH stabbed JM, which probably means she is going to be the last know. We can probably guess that SH stabbed him because of what happened to her family and he was most likely gong to reveal her sisters true identity and that SH was a fraud, because SN came in the room and said you weren't suppose to kill him JM) ...which indicates they knew he was behind their mothers death but SH said the king wouldn't do anything to her because she's SBH, which also meant that SN still had no clue who she was so I guess SN is going to take the wrap for here later. with regards of seolnan going to Goguryeo - I wouldn't be surprised if goo chun was there but if he was he wouldn't approach her thinking that she found her rightful place, but he may follow her back to baekje to find out where SH is . His daughter means more to him than SN when the fake bandits were taking SN away and he was stuck in that moment of having to choose he didn't even try to save SN only SH. I am curious if SN is going to be exposed because of the spy tattoo .. what princess would have her body marked w/something that big. .

***We can't forget that SN friends and the soup lady know the truth about the girls. They know whose older and who the father is - it won't take long for them to figure out what's going on if they see SH (assuming they see her in princess attire and not a maid uniform), but I think the SL will realize it first because of her frequent visits to the CP/MN . with 100 + episodes to go things are going to start happening around episode 60 ..I think all of this is character development .SH is not gong to be able to redeem herself but she and her real father may truly die in the end. I think the king is going to get close to SN but w/o knowing she's his real daughter as they keep bringing up blood knows it's own. I just hope he finds out while he's in good health. The sad part is when SN finds out that SH is playing a princess she is going to go along with the plan to keep her safe.

Archived