[Drama 2013/2014] ♚ Empress Ki (기황후) ♚

cherkell

Guest susany2k5_1

Only advantage as far as I can see that ep 10 will be released tomorrow is the day after that it's Monday!! We'll have live recaps, pics and more info to go on :D

I'd still rather be able to watch episodes the next day, like other dramas such as heirs, MHIYD etc :((

:(( =))

If I didn't love our Emporer BB and SN so much I would've waited till the show aired at least half the episodes cos this is insanity having to wait 5 days for subs! :((

larabn said:but will we see such a scene knowing that SN doesn't love TH yet :( but there is a love child whatever with WY :| , I'm actually excited to find out but I really want to see such a scene lol :x . I wonder when SN becomes TH's concubine will there be physical contact involved  >:D< or just a fake concubine
Well...if they play it according to history, SN is meant to give TH a son. 
I personally ship SN and TH at the moment and don't mind WY being out their fighting for a few more episodes. =))

Guest sogongx3

I truly believe that SN didn't marry TH because of her revenge. I think she already feel something towards him...not love but maybe sympathy or friendship...

before her eyes met WY eyes she was smiling towards TH and it was a genuine smile. if she really hated him I don't think she would be smiling like that. but maybe that's just me trying to believe that my ship is real haha I don't know.

tessieroo said: @G - 
MBC seems very selective, there is no rhyme or reason to the licensing agreements. They've also given out license agreement for current running dramas "Medical Top Team"and "Golden Rainbow" but those are not sageuk. Like you said, they did for "Goddess of Fire" and "Gu Family Book" - both of which are sageuk. So confusing. ~X(

I've been reading quite a lot of posts here that compare TH with WY, and while I know that comparisons are inevitable (such is the difficulty of having two awesome men fighting for the affections of one woman), I think it is unfair to compare the two based on their characters today. TH and WY grew up in very different situations and circumstances; to say that one is valiant and brave and stands up to his beliefs while the other does nothing but cower in fear is, I believe, such a disservice to TH. The choices he made and the life he leads are also largely influenced by what he experienced in life, and unfortunately, with so many beasts wanting him dead, he has no choice at the moment but to keep his head down in order to survive.
These are not her exact words, but I believe Lady Park (or if not, maybe I read this from somewhere else?) said something to this effect: that sometimes we cannot let our anger move us to doing irrational and rash things; that sometimes it is necessary to act wisely in order to live. TH has not been given the chance to show what he can be because he has, for the longest time, thought only of survival. It is only by helping himself that he can help others--and he can only do that if he is alive. Right now he's doing his utmost to stay alive. Despite, and perhaps more so due to, looking pathetic, cowering in fear even in the mere utterance of El Temur's name, and doing nothing but laze around, he is able to survive, with the hope of a future where he can have his own loyal and faithful subjects and show us the man he can be, a man worthy of SN.
(I couldn't sleep, so I thought of posting what I wrote above, titled In Defense of Our Baby Emperor XD)

Guest susany2k5_1

I've been reading quite a lot of posts here that compare TH with WY, and while I know that comparisons are inevitable (such is the difficulty of having to awesome men fighting for the affections of one woman), I think it is unfair to compare the two based on their characters today. TH and WY grew up in very different situations and circumstances; to say that one is valiant and brave and stands up to his beliefs while the other does nothing but cower in fear is, I believe, such a disservice to TH. The choices he made and the life he leads are also largely influenced by what he experienced in life, and unfortunately, with so many beasts wanting him dead, he has no choice at the moment but to keep his head down in order to survive.

These are not her exact words, but I believe Lady Park (or if not, maybe I read this from somewhere else?) said something to this effect: that sometimes we cannot let our anger move us to doing irrational and rash things; that sometimes it is necessary to act wisely in order to live. TH has not been given the chance to show what he can be because he has, for the longest time, thought only of survival. It is only by helping himself that he can help others--and he can only do that if he is alive. Right now he's doing his utmost to stay alive. Despite, and perhaps more so due to, looking pathetic, cowering in fear even in the mere utterance of El Temur's name, and doing nothing but laze around, he is able to survive, with the hope of a future where he can have his own loyal and faithful subjects and show us the man he can be, a man worthy of SN.

(I couldn't sleep, so I thought of posting what I wrote above, titled In Defense of Our Baby Emperor XD)

Thankyou for putting into words what I couldn't do! :\">

A lot of people always berate TH for being a coward and weak and compare him to the strong, noble king WY (yawns)

It isn't fair to compare the two because their lives and circumstances are different! If we were put in TH's shoes, would we act any different?

It's about time we cut our puppy Emporer some slack cos even though he starts off as weak and cowardly, he eventually becomes strong and overpowers El Temur and rules Yuan for 37 years!! In those days, 37 years was quite a long legacy to leave behind as assassinating Emporers happened all the time by the opposition and their own people who wanted to become Emporer!! :-bd

@briseis:
thanks for the pics ;)
 SN even forgot how to laugh properly since she became a palace maid
her laugh is sadder than her depressed face :(
seriously the poor thing can't smile or fake a proper laugh anymore
even TH is irritated by her laugh... :(
 and the laundry scene is by far the best scene for me in the episode
the moment of truth for TH...it finally hits him that she is indeed SN!

I would love for Huizong to find love and be loved.  But this is a drama and there has to be some heartbreak. I tend to love second leads or the underdogs when I sense that their heart will be broken for unrequited love.  I really believe this drama will have the same ending like in the novel. =((

Both Huizong and Wang Yoo love Seung-Nyang with all their heart but she is only one. Each one of them deserve happiness but like all tragic heroes the life gives them a different destiny.

Seung Nyang is a strong woman, beautiful, intelligent, determined. She is a woman out of her times. How can powerful men don`t be atracted to her?

SN and WY have many things in common. They are both Goryeo people, both hate Yuan oppression. What is WY for her? He is the king, the leader of her people. She has loyalty, respect and now love for him. They mutual love each other. Two souls separeted through so many circustances. Now, TH represent the enemy. Seung-nyang and TH were close, they were friends but she never showed deep love for him. I don`t know what would happend why she will marry the Emperor. Revenge, trying to protect WY, sacrificing for her country, One thing I am sure she will give up on love for revenge or duty. It was her choice. She will become the empress, she will give Yuan a Crown Prince. She`ll accomplish many things  but all that have a prize. Her dream love never fulfills. OK, she will become the concubine for whatever reasons but then I want to see a different part of Seung Nyang that is not painted in bright colors because she is the heroine. The real Empress Ki was not a romantic character.    

Now, back to the novel. WY had her heart and TH was with her for so many years. I don`t see other ending for this drama. I think this is going to happen. I will feel sorry for all three of them. In the end SN will survive both her men.

Knowing that this drama will want SH and WY to be the IT couple, my heart breaks more for Huiziong. On his dying bed he ask again Emperess-ki if she ever loved him, even once, even for a moment. This is so sad.  Smiling she tells him that she was his woman all those years but she never tells him what he wants. I wish she lied just for once but she saves her promise of love for WY untill the end. =((

If this drama will have the same ending like in the novel I still want Huyzon to feel her love just once. Please! Writers don`t be so cruel with our beloved baby emperor! She can love them both! ;)

larus said:

Knowing that this drama will want SH and WY to be the IT couple, my heart breaks more for Huiziong. On his dying bed he ask again Emperess-ki if she ever loved him, even once, even for a moment. This is so sad.  Smiling she tells him that she was his woman all those years but she never tells him what he wants. I wish she lied just for once but she saves her promise of love for WY untill the end. =((

If this drama will have the same ending like in the novel I still want Huyzon to feel her love just once. Please! Writers don`t be so cruel with our beloved baby emperor! She can love them both! ;)

larabn said: this is sad :(
so she will never love him not even after she marries him and instead she gives him the I was your women all those years :-w
I think TH's soul finally left his body right after he heard this sentence :|  ...I know mine would :(
I'm hating the novel now...hope they will change that to she falls in love with him after marriage at least :|

@maryly09 - 
I gotta say - in ep 10, when SN is missing WY, crying & dreaming about him - I was 99.2% convinced they're the OTP. It could also be that she's horribly alone and in a very dark place right now but that wouldn't explain why she's only thinking of WY. The conversation on the bridge was fascinating. He sounds very disappointed in her that she would put herself above her fellow Goryeo people (which is how a King should sound) while she's hell-bent on her revenge. Also interesting that she brings up "being a plaything for the enemy" and "acting the fool" which is exactly how TH feels! She's finding life inside the Palace very hard - which is the same for TH. 
@m_g - 
So good to see you here! I think a vast majority of people are shipping SN/TH simply because of the amount of time they've spent together PLUS the cute. I said before that I get a cute, pressure-free, fun feeling when they're together - it's adorable. When SN/WY are together, it's a more serious, heavy-hearted feeling now. (they also had their cute moments but that was so long ago!) 
@drbigapple - 
Yep, that seems to be what SN is doing right now: getting revenge by ignoring, not helping and not offering comfort/courage to TH. He's very much alone and tried reaching out to her but she's not having it. She did, however look very conflicted watching him as the doors closed. 
@larabn - Those rings that SN looks at in ep 1 are the rings her Mom gave her before she died. The same rings that helped her find her Father. I'm guessing those are her parents wedding rings? 
@pieracapozucca - The best character description I've found is "The Talking Cupboard" - she's very thorough, even with all the side characters and not quite as negative as Koala was when she first wrote about Empress Ki. (although she's NOT negative now, she seems to be very much on board!) http://thetalkingcupboard.wordpress.com/2013/11/04/empress-ki-character-introduction/

@G - I have a feeling the subs are coming from MBC America (which is based in Los Angeles) and they were on holiday because of Thanksgiving. *sigh* Thank GOD for Dark Smurfs. 
@flitflyzoom - Exactly! I think the same thing - TH has been brought up in the Palace, with all it's rules and restrictions and then exiled to die. WY was allowed to go OUTSIDE the Palace in Goryeo and mingle with commoners. Even SN is finding life inside the Yuan Palace very hard. TH wasn't even allowed any friends while WY is surrounded by people who love & care about him. 
@larus - Are you writing about stuff that happens in the novel? Because so far, this drama isn't following the novel at all - it's very different. It's also not following the factual history so none of us have any idea where the drama might take us. I'm very satisfied so far so I'm going to put my trust in the writer. As long as none of our 3 main leads are murdered, I'm happy. *kekeke* 

Guest seosono15

while in the novel, the writer decided to let SN and WY only love each other. i hope they will do the other way around here in the drama. as you can see, im a SN-TH shipper. so, it feels so unfair to let WY-SN to end up here in the drama too. i hope the writer will listen to the majority of fans of this drama, where SN-TH were even voted no.4 in one of the polls that was mention here just this week. as what we all know. the writer didn't follow the novel, i hope they will continue that way.  
(my thought about JJM to be honest, from the very beginning, when i know that JJM is ha ji won's leading man for this drama, i get to feel the excitement about the thought. being one of the handsome actor in korea and also being hyun bin friend( where we, hajiwonandhyunbin shippers think that it is one of the signs of their connection). i thought i can ship him with ha ji won. but as i was watching the drama, though there are times that i truly enjoy their scenes together, i really can't wholeheartedly support their tandem. this is not the first time i oppose JJM's character to end up w/ the main lead, it also happen during Fashion 70's where i hope lee yoo won's character will end up w/ the other guy. i also feel the same way with jo in sung during bali. when i became ha ji won fan, i was thinking of watching all here past drama but first, i try to watch the final episode. and when i finally thought her character will end up w/ so ji sub, she made a revelation that she loves jo in sung. i almost did the same way in damo while reading the drama sypnosis, but i give it a try when i know that kim min jung is his brother and that explains her feelings for him. i also almost did not watch hwang jinyi, when jang geun suk dies and hwang jinyi learn to love kim jae won, i was just thankful that at the end their love was not the focus of it but instead it showcase how her character decided to pursue her dream of being an artist. )

@tessieroo: Yeah, I wrote about the novel. I know the drama is different but still...the writers made the story more complex because they need stories for 50 episodes. But the major points have to be there because I doubt they wrote the novel and ignore it entirely. It`s what I sense. I hope you are right and it is a completely different story. Whatever they decided to go I will go. I trust the writers as well. They were the first reason I became interested in this sageuk. I love the cast and I`m enjoying the drama so far very much.

None of the three main leads are going to die before the end of the drama. If you want a happy ending (all of them alive)  I don`t know...  :)

@tessieroo:
I know dear ;), but I was just saying that she wouldn't be remembering them for nothing, maybe there is a reason behind this ;)
and I agree, I don't really follow what's written in the novel anymore cause it is not what the writers are following but that sad ending mentioned just pissed me off lol =))

just remembered what I wanted to comment about :) ...TH being a coward is understandable if he is only 16 years and is facing all of this alone but WY is older in age so it's understandable why he isn't like TH and is more mature and reliable.. that's why TH needs someone more mature that he can trust beside him to support him not just give orders to him
that being said, I think he will be mature and brave when he becomes close to SN in later eps and she will be the one supporting him

tessieroo said: @maryly09 - 
I gotta say - in ep 10, when SN is missing WY, crying & dreaming about him - I was 99.2% convinced they're the OTP. It could also be that she's horribly alone and in a very dark place right now but that wouldn't explain why she's only thinking of WY. The conversation on the bridge was fascinating. He sounds very disappointed in her that she would put herself above her fellow Goryeo people (which is how a King should sound) while she's hell-bent on her revenge. Also interesting that she brings up "being a plaything for the enemy" and "acting the fool" which is exactly how TH feels! She's finding life inside the Palace very hard - which is the same for TH.