✪ Kim So Hyun 김소현 ✪ [Drama 2023: My Lovely Liar], [Upcoming Drama 2024: Good Boy]

faye406

2 hours ago, elan1 said:

When the webtoon Love revolution was first announced for drama adaption, I thought it was going to be a broadcast drama on television but it turned out to be a web series consisting of 30 episodes but 20 minutes each...

Can’t True Beauty do the same and be a web drama? It will be less work and take less time to film. Or it can be like a special, like 8 episodes or a two hour movie on tv? LOL  And then she can also do the historical drama? LOL I’m so desperate HAHA 

Look at all the speculating we are all doing when in reality nothing official has been announced and we are all acting like investigators and theorists :lol::sweatingbullets:

From what I saw online it was always a web drama but True Beauty is on tvn. If I had to chose between the two dramas I'd pick the historical because writer director team is solid. We can't do anything except speculate because Et story gives nothing.

5 things to know about K-drama actress Kim So-hyun, the star of Netflix’s Love Alarm who can never find time for dating

The young star started out as a child actress at age 7 and has so far appeared in more than 40 dramas and movies

Monique Danao

Published: 8:00am, 2 Jun, 2020

TOP PICKS

Magazines

11 Jun 2020

Korea’s little sister, Kim Yoo-jung, is all grown up now and about to star in new romcom Backstreet Rookie, starting on June 12. Photo: @sbs.backstreetrookie/ Instagram

Magazines

10 Jun 2020

Korean drama and K-pop stars have gathered to form the male-centric Wooga Squad. Photo: Instagram

Magazines

10 Jun 2020

Blackpink in crisis? With Rose, Lisa and Jisoo all planning solo releases, following in the footsteps of Jennie, all four members of the K-pop band will have their own careers to worry about. Photo: @blackpinkofficial/Instagram

Magazines

11 Jun 2020

Korean actor Kim Dong-hee, known for his roles in Itaewon Class and Extracurricular, has transitioned from rookie actor to rising star. Photo: @kim_d.he/Instagram

Magazines

12 Jun 2020

Ji Kaiting was reported to be the world’s youngest billionaire according to Forbes back in 2014 at the mere age of 24. Source: Mingtiandi

Magazines

12 Jun 2020

Take two: Twice’s Tzuyu can handle an arrow, a poodle and a microphone. Photo: @queentzuyu/Instagam

Magazines

12 Jun 2020

Malia Obama is the eldest daughter of Barack Obama, 44th president of the US. What’s she been doing since she and her family moved out of the White House? Photo: @Bald_Marley/Twitter

Magazines

10 Jun 2020

Yves Saint Laurent with model Laetitia Casta (left) and actress Catherine Deneuve at his retrospective in Paris in January 2002. Photo: Reuters/Philippe Wojazer/Files (France)

Magazines

10 Jun 2020

Fine dining takeaway options from Tosca Di Angelo at the Ritz-Carlton, Hong Kong. Photo: Ritz-Carlton

Magazines

10 Jun 2020

Rhinos are targeted by poachers for their horns, which are ground down and used for spurious medicines, but luxury travellers can help with efforts to protect the species. Photo: South African Tourism

At 21, Kim So-hyun must be one of the hardest working actresses in K-drama based on filmography so far. Photo: @wow_kimsohyun/InstagramAt 21, Kim So-hyun must be one of the hardest working actresses in K-drama based on filmography so far. Photo: @wow_kimsohyun/Instagram
At 21, Kim So-hyun must be one of the hardest working actresses in K-drama based on filmography so far. Photo: @wow_kimsohyun/Instagram

Despite her young age, Kim So-hyun became a household name thanks to her roles in more than 40 dramas and movies over the past 14 years. As she turns 21 this June 4, here are some things to know about the experienced actress.

1. She has starred in more than 40 dramas and movies

Kim So-hyun debuted as a 7-year old child actress in a 2006 drama titled Drama City which was followed by more roles in dramaland. As of May 2020, she’s appeared in more than 40 K-dramas and movies. In 2012, she was thrust into the limelight when she played the young queen Yoon Bo-kyung in Moon Embracing the Sun and a bullied student Lee Soo-yeon in Missing You.

2. She has never dated anyone 

Her thriving career means that her schedule is constantly jam-packed. As a consequence, she has never dated anyone. She revealed to website Soompi, “I had no interest in the opposite sex. There were a lot of people around me who were dating, but I didn’t really have that.” Due to her lack of experience in the romance department, she watches dramas to fully immerse herself in the role. So far, we think she’s been successful.

3. She seamlessly transitioned to adult roles

Unlike most child actors, the transition to adult actor doesn’t seem to be a problem for this talented actress. According to her, she’s enjoyed continued success by simply focusing on the role she was given. She shared, “I think the viewers felt comfortable since I approached them naturally without any calculations. I also get answers through trial and error.”

4. She seizes every opportunity

Despite her long list of acting credentials, Kim So-hyun doesn’t think she’s a workaholic. Instead, she simply wants to seize every opportunity and play every role that she wants. Otherwise, she might regret it later.

While we don’t know what the future holds, the talented actress hopes to shoot meaningful short films and independent movies.

5. She is starring in Love Alarm season 2

Fans will be happy to know that she’ll return to Netflix in August 2020 for Love Alarm’s second season. The drama focuses on the Love Alarm app which can determine if someone nearby is falling in love with the user.

PhotoGrid_1590466298333-660x400.jpgNETFLIX

FEATURED

New K-Dramas On Netflix In June 2020: “It’s Okay To Not Be Okay”, “The Tale of Nokdu”, “Doctor Prisoner” & More

By abbyinhallyuland | May 26, 2020

EVERYONE GETS TO ENJOY A VARIETY OF K-DRAMA THEMES COVERED FOR YOU BY NETFLIX THIS JUNE!

Eagerly-awaited, the Kim Soo Hyun and Seo Ye Ji, It’s Okay To Not Be Okay, makes its highly-awaited Netflix global premiere beginning June 20. Romance series abound this batch of new titles in urban, historical and fantasy settings.

Netflix neatly balanced its approaching K-Drama treats with a comedy top-billed by Choi Si Won and the profound thrilling drama, Doctor Prisoner, powered by highly-praised actor Nam Goong Min.

Grab your Netflix calendar and mark these three dates for your next scheduled binge!

MY SHY BOSS

• June 1 | Yeon Woo Jin & Park Hye Su

Life changes for an extreme introvert boss when his company hires a new employee. The cheery extrovert journeys to get closer to her boss because of furtive plans she has in store for him.

Korean Dramas on Netflix

THE TALE OF NOKDU

• June 15 | Jang Dong Yoon & Kim So Hyun

While on the run for his life, a young man discovers that the best place to lie low is in a village of widows — disguised as a woman.

The Tale of Nokdu, armed with the right balance of humor and mystique, is another historical romantic comedy drama that is a good addition to the watch list of sageuk enthusiasts.

The-Tale-of-Nokdu-1024x576.jpg

ANGEL’S LAST MISSION: LOVE

• June 15 | Shin Hye Sun & Kim Myung Soo

As a punishment for meddling in human affairs, an angel faces the impossible task of finding a soulmate for a cold-hearted ballerina.

Korean dramas on Netflix

DOCTOR PRISONER

• June 15 | Nam Goong Min & Kwon Na Ra

After his career is sabotaged by the wealthy, a doctor gets a job at a prison seeking vengeance on those who are too powerful to be governed by the law.

Rallied by a brilliant male-dominated cast, Doctor Prisoner has moved to exchanges of ploys and deceptions that keeps you high with its thrill. Providing equally engrossing textures of its protagonists and anti-heroes, the series expertly constructs its vengeance-driven story.

doctor prisoner

MY FELLOW CITIZENS

• June 15 | Choi Si Won, Lee Yoo Young & Kim Min Jung

A talented swindler who’s married to a detective ups his con game to the next level when he runs for political office — and fools an entire nation.

If you are tired of heavy political dramas and just want to watch to be entertained then My Fellow Citizens is meant for you. It is not a light drama that’s all fluff and no substance, but it’s not so heavy that it leaves you dry and depressed.

My Fellow Citizens | KBS

LOVELY HORRIBLY

• June 15 | Park Shi Hoo & Song Ji Hyo

Strange events haunt a charmed actor and an unlucky writer, who unknowingly share one fate, when they begin working on a TV drama together.

Lovely Horribly

IT’S OKAY TO NOT BE OKAY

• June 20 | Kim Soo Hyun & Seo Ye Ji

In this romantic drama, a health care worker and an author suffering from an antisocial personality disorder end up healing each other’s emotional and psychological wounds.

Portraying Moon Gang-tae is actor Kim Soo-hyun (My Love from the Star, Moon Embracing the Sun). His character is a caretaker working at a psychiatric ward who does not even bother to believe in love. Carrying all the weight and pain in life, he devotes himself only to looking after his disabled older brother.

Go Moon-young, played by Seo Ye-ji (Save Me, Lawless Lawyer), is a children’s book writer who is clueless about love. She is popular among all age groups, yet very antisocial and indifferent to others.

Its-Okay-to-Not-Be-Okay-1024x576.jpg

PR Source: Netflix

Images Credit: Netflix | KBS2 TV

An Honest Review Of 'Love Alarm'

Team Hye-young vs Team Sun-oh—whose side are you on?
by MAGGIE ADAN | Aug 31, 2019

love-alarm-honest-review-1567138592.jpg

PHOTO: NETFLIX
SHARES

The Long Plot, Sans Spoilers

Kim Jojo (Kim So Hyun) has a lot on her plate. She has no time to waste on Love Alarm, the latest app that's taken over her high school and the entire country. Unlike her classmates, who are giddy with excitement over finding out who and how many people within a 10-meter radius likes them, Jojo is busy working to save up for college and dealing with her hostile aunt and cousin, who begrudgingly took her in after her parents died in an undisclosed tragedy when she was a child.

She spends the rest of her time hanging out with her friends and boyfriend, but it soon becomes painstakingly clear that she's not interested in dating him anymore. Eventually, she breaks up with him. That's good news for Hye-young (Jung Ga Ram) who's been harboring a secret crush on Jojo for a while now.

When Sun-oh (Song Gang), Hye-young's childhood friend, returns from abroad, he learns of Hye-young's interest in Jojo and decides to test his friend's resolve by going after her himself. (richard simmons move, btw.) After Sun-oh and Jojo kiss, they fall in love, and Love Alarm confirms their attraction for one another. Loyal to a fault, Hye-young decides to pretend he's not bothered by this development (Wuss move, btw).

CONTINUE READING BELOW ↓
CONTINUE READING BELOW ↓
RECOMMENDED VIDEOS

Jojo and Sun-oh start dating and go on a class trip where they get into a minor road accident. After leaving the ER, Jojo has a hard time getting in touch with Sun-oh. She immediately spirals, thinking the worst. Afraid of getting hurt, she finds a way to block him on Love Alarm.

He eventually goes back to school and can't wait to meet up with her, but by then she's determined to end the relationship. She goes on a preemptive strike and dumps him. And because she has put up a shield on her Love Alarm, she no longer rings his app.

Sun-oh knows she still likes him, but doesn't understand why Jojo says and the Love Alarm confirms she doesn't. His still rings hers, but hers no longer reciprocates. Heartbroken, he bitterly tells her that he'll get over her, too (just she wait and see) and calls her heartless.

CONTINUE READING BELOW ↓

Cut to the present. They are now in college. The three are no longer in touch, but typical to K-dramas, the universe finds a way to throw them back into each other's lives and 10-meter radius, as it were.

By now Sun-oh is in a relationship, but tellingly, he doesn't ring his girlfriend's Love Alarm. She's okay with this, saying their relationship just needs a little more time.

Meanwhile Hye-young, who has carried a torch for Jojo all this time, finally finds the courage to make his move. Unlike Sun-oh, he decides on an analog courtship. And despite her commitment to staying single and obvious residual feelings for Sun-oh, Jojo can't help but fall for Hye-young's earnest charm.

When Sun-oh finds out that Hye-young and Jojo are seeing each other, he feels betrayed. He confronts Jojo and is dismayed to discover he still rings her Love Alarm. He tells her to stay away from his friend, heartbreaker that she is. He also takes Hye-young aside and it's clear that things have put a strain on their friendship.

CONTINUE READING BELOW ↓

Where do they go from here? With Jojo's Love Alarm shield still up, will she be able to tell without the app who her heart really wants? And will the imminent release of version 2.0 of Love Alarm, which can now tell who you're going to fall in love with, complicate things even further?

The Short, Honest Plot

Live in a world where there's an app that lets your crush know that you're into them? Hard pass.

The Actors And Where You Last Saw Them

Kim So Hyun as Kim Jojo

So Hyun is a veteran in the business, having started her career as a child actress. She's best known for her role in Moon Embracing the Sun. You may have recently seen her as the younger sister (past life) of the titular character in Goblin, making a cameo in While You Were Sleeping, or playing one of the leads in Radio Romance. She's also been dubbed "Nation's Little Sister."

CONTINUE READING BELOW ↓
love-alarm-unit-01-181103-0822-1567138721.jpg

NETFLIX

Jung Ga Ram as Hye-young

You may know the newcomer from dramas such as The Heirs, Mistress, and Heard It Through the Grapevine, or movies such as Believer, The Poet and the Boy, or Fourth Place, for which he won Best New Actor in the 2016 Daejong Film Awards.

CONTINUE READING BELOW ↓
love-alarm-unit-05-181225-0144-1567138740.jpg

NETFLIX

Song Kang as Sun-oh

The rookie actor who beat out 900 K-pop idols, models, and actors to snag the role of Sun-oh in Love Alarm. He also starred in Man Who Sets the Table and The Liar and His Lover, and the movie Beautiful Vampire. He had a short stint as a host of the music program Inkigayo and is part of the variety show Village Survival, the Eight.

CONTINUE READING BELOW ↓

love-alarm-unit-01-181122-0844-1567138757.jpg

NETFLIX

Did You Know?

1. Director Lee Na Jeong consulted with actual app developers and designers to come up with the look, functionality, and even the distinct alarm of the app as it appears in the series, as well as how they were going to visually represent how it works on the show. They did a pretty good job if you ask me!

CONTINUE READING BELOW ↓

2. Kim So Hyun was both Love Alarm webtoon author Chon Kye-young and online fans' first choice to play Kim Jojo.

3. Jung Ga Ram is a fan of the original webtoon (that this series is based on) and the character of Hye-yeong.

4. Kim So Hyun is also on Team Hye-yeong. (Sorry, Sun-oh fans!) At the press con for the series, So Hyun admits, "I became a Hye-yeong fan because he made me feel like, 'Wow, a person could love another person to that extent.'"

5. Lee Na Jeong also directed popular dramas Fight for My Way and Oh My Venus!

6. If you're in Korea, there's an actual Love Alarm app you can download on your Android phone via Play Store. Unfortunately (or fortunately) it doesn't reveal who's crushing on you or who you're crushing on. You just get to collect hearts by participating in promotional events and you get to learn more about the original webtoon.

CONTINUE READING BELOW ↓

What My Friends Think:

"I found the concept of the Love Alarm app so intriguing! The rest of the show seems like your typical teen K-drama, but the addition of the app makes it different and new. I can't wait to find out what happens next!" Pandan Adan

"I like the chemistry between Sun-Oh and Jojo. Super bitin! There should be Season 2 soon. " Alma Rivera

"I watched Love Alarm with no expectations since I really just wanted to watch Song Kang and Kim So Hyun. With Jung Ga Ram, I think the three had good chemistry. That was enough for me to binge-watch all eight episodes.

"What I don't like is that it's not clear how the app can zone in on who you like. Was there a set of questions asked? Is the user microchipped?  I don't know. It lost me there." Lyra Maleon Dacio

What I Think:

On the one hand, I'm really blown away by how K-dramas are evolving these days, specifically how the more recent ones incorporate cutting-edge, sci-fi, techy themes into the stories. It gives them a unique flavor and injects a fresh twist to formulaic Korean television.

CONTINUE READING BELOW ↓

It also represents their culture in a new and modern way, focusing on the country's hyper-connected, über-digitized, and technologically modern society. It is as Korean as the poor girl-rich guy, forced cohabitation, love triangle, etc. tropes that their dramas are known for.

On the other hand, maybe I'm just not the market for young love K-dramas anymore, because I initially found the motivations of the characters a little irrational and mababaw. But after looking back on my teenage years and recalling that I was prone to blowing things out of proportion and being melodramatic about love and relationships at that age, too, I realize that the show is actually more truthful than I give it credit for. Maybe it just doesn't resonate with me anymore.

Nevertheless, I was excited to watch Love Alarm since it's directed by Lee Na Jeong, who also helmed my favorite K-drama, Fight for My Way. I love that show because, aside from the fact that it stars my main oppa Park Seo Joon, the story, the chemistry between the leads, and the themes feel very relatable.

CONTINUE READING BELOW ↓

Lee Na Jeong navigates the themes of Love Alarm expertly as well. Despite the app figuring prominently in the plot, she manages to steer your attention to and keep your focus on the relationships and the characters. Again, she finds a way to make their experiences familiar.

The concept of the app itself is intriguing, mostly because it seems so plausible. But I appreciate how Lee Na Jeong uses it to explore very human emotions and interactions. Does it change who we like, how we like, what relationships we pursue?

I can't really give a definite answer on what I think of the show as yet. It's still hard to tell where the story is headed having only seen eight episodes. Plus, a large part of the first season deals with setting up the plot and introducing the characters, so the story is really still in its early stages.

And can I just say, I'm not a fan of dividing romantic K-dramas into seasons? I really feel they're meant to be consumed in one go. Seriously, if there's one form of entertainment that's made for binge-watching, it's romantic K-dramas.

CONTINUE READING BELOW ↓

With the exception of Kingdom (which isn't a romance), I think they should release Korean dramas in full in the future. The problem with dividing them into seasons is that the tropes and themes are often so similar, and there are so many of K-dramas being released, it's hard to keep track of the plot and it's easy to lose momentum. Personally, I tend to lose interest when I have to wait several months to see the next half of a K-drama. I find I'd rather move on to another one instead.

I'd Recommend It To:

• Younger K-drama fans will be able to relate to what Jojo, Hye-young, and Sun-oh are going through. Mind you, the show follows our characters from high school to college, so older fans may want to give it a chance, too.
  • Fans who are intrigued by the concept of the Love Alarm app will also enjoy the show, especially how it affects the way we relate to one another.
  • Like 1

How Do Kim Yoo-Jung, Kim So-Hyun, and Kim Sae-Ron Live?

spaceball.gif
bnt news21 May 2015

t0ng2h3476xc48j0wuuu7ww8u7dko0w8.jpg
View photos

[by Yoo Jeong] There are entertainers who must have always heard people say, ‘grow up just like this.’ They are Kim Yoo-jung, Kim So-hyun, and Kim Sae-ron.

There has always been an actress troika. In the 1960s, there were Moon Hee, Yoon Jung-hee, and Nam Jung-im, and at the center of the movie scene in the 1970s, there were Jang Mi-hee, Jung Yoon-hee, and Yoo Ji-in. Since the 2000s, it was the era of Kim Tae-hee, Song Hye-kyo, and Jun Ji-hyun, who were called ‘TaeHyeJi.’

The next troika is expected to be taken by these well-grown actresses, who are Kim Yoo-jung, Kim So-hyun, and Kim Sae-ron, who are showing a good example of ‘stormy growth.’

■ New Actress Troika

nvd3oicmy9czeh6pn7mk6lmhrrrcmax1.jpg
View photos

They have something in common: they began acting since they were very young, and now are growing into actresses who even play the main character in dramas and movies.

Kim Yoo-jung recently transformed into a difficult high school student, Oh Ah-ran, in ‘Angry Mom,’ a drama on MBC. Through this drama dealing with school violence, she is acting reminding of her peers, being well received.

4axtu37t4y5ozo4cclvb5kb5jg8w39aw.jpg
View photos

Kim So-hyun is famous for having ‘complete beauty’ among netizens. Her innocent mask reminding of Son Ye-jin is a strong weapon. Kim So-hyun has acted as the young self of beautiful actresses in various works during the last years.

You had better not remember Kim Sae-ron only as the lovely child that Won Bin saved in the movie ‘The Man from Nowhere’. Kim Sae-ron showed her developing acting skills afterwards in ‘The Queen’s Classroom’ on MBC, ‘High School Love on’ on KBS, and movie ‘A Girl at My Door.’

Kim Sae-ron studied during her spare time even on sets, and is now focusing more on her education. She plans to prepare for her next work carefully, reviewing scenarios.

• Like 1

Love Alarm: Season 1 review

by missvictrix

LA_1.jpg

Netflix recently dropped their latest original drama Love Alarm based on the webtoon of the same name. While the story itself is pretty ordinary, the world of the story is anything but. Front and center in the drama is the Love Alarm app — a rather powerful social media app that has the ability to read and share your romantic attraction to people within a ten meter radius.

Netflix has been pushing out a lot of original content lately — thus far it’s been unique, well-produced, and quite good. But they also insist on breaking up the traditional 16-episode run of Korean dramas into two seasons without making it immediately apparent to viewers. They fooled me once, with the recently completed My First First Love. Fool me twice? Not happening. This time I came expecting the plot lines to build, escalate, and converge right at the peak of the drama, before the cut of the 8-episode run known as Season 1.

LA_2.jpg

Disagreements with streaming and release methodology aside, the first season of Love Alarm was unique and compelling. I enjoy high school stories just as much as the next person, so the token rich boy/poor girl dynamic, and the bullies and mean girls and cafeteria wrist grabs, are always welcome. But throughout every moment of this drama lurks the Love Alarm app — it’s as present as if it was one of the leading characters.

The drama opens in present day, when the Love Alarm app is already a social norm. With just a brief look, it’s clear that the app has taken a hold of society. But Love Alarm is more than an app — it’s practically Big Brother. It’s on everyone’s phone, it’s on every building’s video screen, and Love Alarm even sends announcements in the clouds, as if it was a deity of sorts.

Clearly, there’s something off with how the Love Alarm app has impacted society — and the main characters that we get our first glimpse of — but we can’t put our finger on it at first. It’s when we travel back to four years ago, when our characters were in high school, that we learn about the app’s genesis, and the way it has affected our characters.

LA_3.jpg

When we meet our high school heroine KIM JO-JO (Kim So-hyun), the Love Alarm app has only been launched a few weeks, but has already gone viral across the country with 10 million downloads. And rest assured almost every student at the high school has already downloaded it.

The high school acts as a microcosm of the world at large — we watch the ways the app quickly changes and complicates the way people interact. The scorchingly handsome new boy at school, HWANG SUN-HO (Song Kang), sets off alarm after alarm as he walks through the school courtyard, indicating his popularity and desirability factor. Couples at the school use the app to test each other’s affections, or to show off their relationship to others. Most importantly, though, Love Alarm outs crushes — that’s actually what it was built for.

LA_4.jpg

At first, our heroine Kim Jo-jo is exempt from the madness since her phone is too old to support the app — a nice dose of real-life, actually, since she’s the token hard-working high school orphan who’s drowning in her parents’ debt. That she can’t afford a brand new Samsung is actually refreshing.

Jo-jo catches the eye of the new boy Sun-ho, who could take his pick of any girl in the school. He pursues her quite openly, and the drama is surprisingly forward about sexual attraction — since really, that’s what the app is able to quantify, right? There’s no technical, biometric, or even metaphysical explanation as to how the app actually works, but it’s a testament to the strength off the set-up that it’s entirely believable.

Maybe that’s because the rhetoric is so familiar? After all, the ring of a person’s love alarm is the same behavior-affirming sound that we’ve grown used to in real life to signal something good, or something attained. And how different is ringing someone’s alarm from the likes and swipes that have become the norm for us in real life?

LA_5.jpg

Love Alarm foreshadows a love triangle, and then half an episode later, we’re already in the thick of it. Suave and swoony Sun-ho might have won Jo-jo over, but his best friend LEE HYE-YOUNG (Jung Ga-ram) has had a silent crush on her for years. Rather than fight over her openly, they decide to let the app decide – basically, this means she gets confirmation of their feelings for her, and when she turns her own app on, they learn who she “chooses.”

This scenario is a perfect example of the way the app takes the organic and heady rush of romantic feelings and quantifies them into a cellphone notification. On one hand it simplifies and synthesizes a complicated part of life; on the other hand it neuters something that is supposed to be unseen, unquantifiable, and beautifully wild.

Because Hye-young is a gorgeous walking saint, he’s more than graceful when Sun-ho and Jo-jo happily start dating. Their relationship is positively dreamy — but perhaps too dreamy too soon? Because Jo-jo is our token K-drama heroine, leaving the hero with a broken heart seems a better solution than sticking things out with him (though she does have a lot of baggage), so it’s not long before their relationship ends. And the app that brought them together also tears them apart.

LA_6A.jpg LA_6B.jpg

When we jump back to present day, our love triangle characters meet again, and they are as triangular as ever. In terms of compelling relationships, Love Alarm really grabbed me — it’s one of the few dramas where I find myself rooting equally for both sides.

In addition to a reintroduction to our love triangle, though, the present day story sets up an even broader look at the social impact of the app. It is clearly ruling society, determining the way people interact with each other, and the amount of hearts/alarm rings that a person gets is the new metric for success and celebrity.

But it’s also apparent that the Love Alarm app has torn down important social constructs, and made a whole new set of rules. Four years after the app’s launch there is a strong anti-faction, mass suicides because of the loneliness and rejection that the app intensifies (and publicizes), and there’s also an interesting mythology around the app’s mysterious developer.

LA_7A.jpg LA_7B.jpg

At the drama’s halfway point, there’s a lot hanging in the balance. We’ve not only got the growing social unrest around the use of the app, but the artificial world it has created seems like it has reached its peak… and might be headed for a breaking point of sorts.

Then there’s Jo-jo, Sun-ho, and Hye-young. Jo-jo is aware that both boys still “ring her alarm,” (in this case meaning they’re both in love with her), but she’s at an interesting impasse. She’s been using an unreleased feature of the app — a shield that prevents her from ringing anyone’s alarm. This assures that no one will be able to see her feelings through the app. That doesn’t sound like such a bad thing to me, but the world has become a place that relies on Love Alarm to validate feelings.

LA_8.jpg

Will the second half of the drama support the world of Love Alarm and see Jo-jo on a quest to remove the shield from her app? Or will it be a stronger statement about going back to a world where people’s feelings, emotions, and attraction were not made into public information. Will romantic relationships go back to being organic and natural, or will the Love Alarm app be the key that gives Kim Jo-jo, and one of our heroes, a happy ending?

At this point, it feels like it can go either way, and I’m torn between falling for the rhetoric of the drama, and the rules of courtship under the reign of Love Alarm — and at the same time being repulsed by them. Sun-ho and Hye-young seem to represent very different things in the world of Love Alarm, one relying on the app to validate their relationship, and the other more interested in “old fashioned” wooing.

Both boys clearly love her; I don’t need an app to tell me that. But whichever one she chooses seems to have a bearing on the note the drama will end on, and the message it will leave with us. So, I’m going to withhold too many comments on Team Sun-ho versus Team Hye-young until we have the whole drama in front of us. In the meantime, whether I like it or not, I’ll just let this drama ring my alarm.

LA_9.jpg

• Like 1

Top 10 Best School/College Romance K-Dramas To Have On Your Watchlist

Jun 12, 2019   ·  Updated : Jun 28, 2019   ·  312,811 Views   ·  39
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

my-id-is-gangnam-beauty.jpg

JTBC

For new K-Dramas fans and non-addict to K-Dramas, it is often hard to make a great watchlist. You most probably ask your friend’s opinions or read the reviews online to make your selection, but sometimes it is not enough. K-Dramas have plenty of genres. We previously listed the best romantic comedy, best romance historical and best action thriller romance K-Dramas.

This time, we listed romance dramas set in school and university. If you are a K-Drama beginner, you might want to look out for the dramas that suit your taste the most among the one selected below.

For K-Drama addict, you probably have watched all of the drama listed below, if not it is time to add to your watchlist.

Let us know in the comment which one for you are the one you would advise your friend to watch.

1- “My ID Is Gangnam Beauty

JTBC

When: 2018

Cast: ASTRO‘s Cha EunWooIm SooHyangKwak DongYeonJo WooRi

Summary: The story of a woman living a new life through plastic surgery. She meets Do KyungSuk at the college, while everyone thinks that appearance is important, he thinks differently. She will learn what is real “beauty”.

Why watch?: This campus romance has an interesting theme on “what is real beauty”. Actors are also great. The plot is mainly focusing on romance but also other issues of university students making the whole story very interesting.

[Also on best romantic comedy]

2- “Weightlifting Fairy Kim BokJoo”

MBC

When: 2016-2017

Cast: Nam JooHyukLee SungKyung

Summary: It tells the dreams and love story of students in the college of Sports.

Why watch?: The sweetest and hilarious campus romance among K-Dramas. The main female character is amazing with her bubbly personality and the main male lead is also one of a kind. The combination of both of them with perfect chemistry gave birth to this must-watch romantic comedy romance.

[Also on best romantic comedy]

3- "Who Are You: School 2015"

KBS

When: 2015

Cast: Kim SoHyun, Yook SungJae, Nam JooHyuk

Summary: A youth drama that tells the story of an 18 years old high school girl whose life completely changed suddenly as well as the students surrounding her.

Why watch?: For young viewers, this drama is a must. Kim SoHyun acting is perfect in this teenage drama. The plot and the love triangle also made it worthwhile to watch.

4- "Dream High"

KBS

When: 2011

Cast: Suzy, Kim SooHyun, Ok TaecYeon, Ham EunJung, Jang WooYoung, IU

Summary: It tells the love story and dreams of young people who dream to become stars by attending an Art High School.

Why watch?: It might be an old drama but the story is easy to watch and funny. If you like K-Pop and dramas about singers, this drama might be for you.

5- "Boys Over Flowers"

KBS

When: 2009

Cast: Ku HyeSun, Lee MinHo, Kim HyunJoong, Kim Bum, Kim Joon

Summary: The love story of a girl from a poor family and a boy from one of the largest conglomerates family who attend the same private high school.

Why watch?: There is a reason why this drama is a hit Hallyu drama. Even after all these years, "Boys Over Flowers"'s plot and cast still worth watching. Handsome F4 and the fierce female character created a memorable drama and mythic scenes.

6- "The Heirs"

SBS

When: 2013

Cast: Lee MinHo, Park ShinHye, Kim WooBin

Summary: It tells the love and friendship stories of rich high school students.

Why watch?: If you start watching, there are high chances that either you love it or hate it. There are many K-Dramas clichés if you don't like those then it might not be for you. But for those of you who are looking for an emotional rollercoaster and cheesy drama, it is for you.

7- "A-Teen 2"

Playlist

When: 2019

Cast: APRIL‘s Lee NaEun, Kim DongHee, Golden Child‘s BoMin, Kim SooHyun, Ryu EuiHyun, Kang MinAh, Shin YeEun, Shin SeungHo

Summary: The web drama is about the worries and love stories of teens. The changes that the main characters are going through by changing from 18 to 19 years old. They are going through a lot with the preparation of the SAT (college entrance exam) and this comes with a lot of choices to be made.

Why watch?: It a web drama of good quality. The story is engaging and has a slow pace. The love story and school worries of the characters are interesting. All in all, the drama worth watching.

8- "To the Beautiful You"

SBS

When: 2012

Cast: Sulli, MinHo, Lee HyunWoo

Summary:  It tells the story of a girl pretending to be a guy who entered an all-boys physical education high school.

Why watch?: SM Entertainment stan might want to look at this drama as various idols appear. The drama might be a bit old and the cast are not perfect in acting back then, however, the whole drama's light-hearted atmosphere and impossible circumstances make it likable. It might be disappointing for fans of the manga and Japanese remake.

9- "Orange Marmalade"

KBS

When: 2015

Cast: Yeo JinGoo, SeolHyun, Lee JongHyun

Summary: An emotional fantasy romance drama taking place in a world where vampire and humans co-exist.

Why watch?: If you like dramas with vampires and cute school love story, it might be for you. Even if the script was a bit unorganized, the interesting overall plot took over.

10- "Cheese in the Trap"

tvN

When: 2016

Cast: Park HaeJin, Kim GoEun, Seo KangJoon, Lee SungKyung

Summary: A romance thriller that tells the story of a female college student who is the only one who saw the real true self of her sunbae. This perfect guy is hiding his dangerous nature behind a sweet smile.

Why watch?: Many have divided opinions about this drama. The two main male characters are mentally special. They are different from other dramas characters and make viewers try hard to understand them. The supporting roles are also great. One thing is for sure this drama is not a usual one.

• Like 1

8 K-Dramas Featuring The LGBT Community

Feb 21, 2020   ·  79,259 Views   ·  3
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

lee-jooyoung-JTBC-transgender-Itaewon-Class-cover.jpg

JTBC

Korea is a conservative country. Korean society in general is yet to be more understanding of the LGBT (stands for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender) community. According to the "Society at a Glance 2019. A spotlight on LGBT people" by the OECD, "Korea is lagging behind compared to the OECD average regarding acceptance of homosexuality".

That means no representation on screen or in the worst cases a wrong representation. But Korean mentalities are changing!

The change can be felt with more and more characters from the LGBT community being featured in K-Dramas. There are good representations being non-stereotypical with minor or major role in the plot.

These characters are mainly appearing in cable dramas but not always. It is a start for change of mentalities and prejudices that the community is facing but sadly only a small step.

Here is a selection of 8 K-Dramas which featured characters from the LGBT community.

Be aware that there are major spoilers.

1- "Reply 1997"

"Reply 1997" (2019) might be one of the oldest drama with a gay character acted by former INFINITE member HoYa. In the drama, he is a high school student in love with his best friend acted by Seo InGuk.

tvN

2- "At Eighteen"

ASTRO 's MoonBin acted as a supporting role in "At Eighteen" (2019). In the drama, he is a high school student who just realized his attractions to the same-sex. He is still confused about himself.

There were a few touching scenes tackling prejudices after his coming-out.

MoonBin: "I'm weird, aren't I?" / Ong SeongWu: "No, that's just your feelings" / MoonBin: "That's true. I'm also confused as to how I feel, so."

JTBC

Yoo InSoo: "Why is it weird? He just likes another person. You're even weirder. Just go back to playing games."

3- "Love Alarm"

In the Netflix Original drama "Love Alarm" (2019), the app tells people who like them in 10 meters surrounding them. To summarize what happened, one student from the same school of Jung GaRam made Jung GaRam's Love Alarm ring because he has feelings for him.

Here is their dialogue:

Student: "Aren't you offended I rang you Love Alarm?" / Jung GaRam: "What can you do? It's not like you can control your feelings." / Student: "You're so cool about it".

Netflix

4- "Romance is a Bonus Book"

In the drama with Lee JongSuk and Lee NaYoung, “Romance is a Bonus Book” (2019), there is a quick appearance of a same-sex couple. She is Lee JongSuk's ex-girlfriend in the drama. The short scene received a lot of interest from international viewers.

tvN

5- "Love With Flaws"

Love With Flaws” (2019) with Oh YeonSeo and Ahn JaeHyun had a relatively big part of the story related to gays.

Cha InHa was acting as a bartender of a gay bar. His character had depth and a solid background story. He went through huge hardship to make his coming-out to his family (including a suicide attempt) but in the end, his parents told him that this is not something he should apologize for.

MBC

He is now confident with who he is and loves himself. There is another important gay character acted by Jang YooSang who has a romance line with Cha InHa.

His character is struggling with his identity and was a victim of online bullying because of it. He is trying to tell his family but can't. Cha InHa helped him in his struggles.

6- "Hi, Dracula"

In "Hi, Dracula" (2020), Girls’ Generation’s SeoHyun took on the role of a lesbian. In the drama, she is expressing the weight and loneliness she is feeling by being not supported by her mother for who she is.

JTBC

7- "Itaewon Class"

"Itaewon Class" (2020) is taking one step further in the good representation of the LGBT community with a transgender. Lee JooYoung is acting HyunYi who was born male. HyunYi is currently gathering money for gender reassignment surgery (GRS).

The drama addresses transgender issues in South Korea. As the drama just started more are to come. Park SeoJoon also had an impactful speech that confronts stereotypes.

JTBC

8- "XX"

In the Playlist web drama"XX" (2020), Lee JongWon is acting as a perfumer who is gay. There is not much spotlight on his love life but he was hurt by his ex who cheated on him.

Playlist Studio

• Like 1

These K-Drama Child Actors Grew Up To Play Lead Roles!

One of them started acting at only 4 years old!
by LILY GRACE TABANERA | Jul 7, 2019

One thing we love about Korean dramas is that they almost always give us flashbacks to the lead characters' childhoods, which make us feel more connected to them! Have you ever wondered about the young actors who brought these roles to life? Well, they're all grown up and have starred in their own shows! Here are five of our favorite stars:  

1. Kim So Hyun 

Birthday: June 4, 1999 

CONTINUE READING BELOW ↓

Early Roles

So Hyun, who was born in Australia and moved to South Korea when she was a toddler, first rose to fame when she was cast in the drama Moon Embracing The Sun (2012) as the younger version of Yoon Bo-kyung, a villainous queen-to-be. She also played Young Hwa-yong/Young Se-na in Rooftop Prince (2012), also as the antagonist. 

CONTINUE READING BELOW ↓
RECOMMENDED VIDEOS
btnClose.png

In 2013, So Hyun won the Best Child Actress award at the first K-Drama Star Awards for her performance in Missing You, where she played the role of a bullied high school student who gets kidnapped.  

Recent Dramas

So Hyun landed her first lead role in the series Who Are You: School 2015, where she played twin characters who were separated as kids. Since then, she has starred in the dramas Hey Ghost, Let's Fight (2016), The Emperor: Owner of the Mask (2017), and Radio Romance (2018).

So Hyun's latest project is the Netflix-produced series Love Alarm, which is based on a webtoon. The drama is about a mobile app that alerts users when someone within a 10-meter radius has romantic feelings for them. While the application becomes a social fascination, people are still interested in the true, natural feelings for each other that existed before everyone was using the app.

CONTINUE READING BELOW ↓

DON'T MISS THIS!

2. Kim Yoo Jung

Birthday: September 22, 1999

cosmo-image-placeholder.png

Early Roles

Yoo Jung started acting when she was only four years old. She played younger versions of characters in Princess Hours (2006), Queen Seondeok (2009), and Dong Yi (2010).

In 2012, she starred alongside Yeo Jin Goo in Moon Embracing The Sun where they played teenage versions of the leads. Yoo Jung played Ga-in, the daughter of a noble family that was gaining power in the royal court. Smart, beautiful, and well-loved, she was chosen as the crown princess, but mysteriously fell ill and ~died~ before the royal wedding ceremony. Just when she was believed to be dead, she was saved by the head shaman but lost all her memories in the process. 

CONTINUE READING BELOW ↓

Recent Dramas 

Her first leading role was in the historical drama Love in the Moonlight (2016), where she starred as a cross-dressing heroine opposite Park Bo Gum. In 2018, she worked on the series Clean With Passion For Now, which told the love story of two complete opposites: a cleaning company employee who doesn't really care about *dirt* and the company's boss who suffers from Mysophobia (a pathological fear of contamination and germs).

3. Yeo Jin Goo

Birthday: August 13, 1997

CONTINUE READING BELOW ↓

Early Roles 

Jin Goo made his acting debut at the age of eight in the film Sad Movie (2005). He rose to international fame when he starred in the fantasy-period drama Moon Embracing the Sun (2012) as the younger version of actor Kim Soo Hyun, the crown prince.

Recent Dramas 

In 2019, Jin Goo starred in two dramas: In My Absolute Boyfriend he played a robot programmed to be every woman's perfect guy. His second drama, The Crowned Clown, tells the story of a Joseon king and his doppelganger whom he desperately puts on the throne to escape the intense power struggles of royal life. 

4. Yoo Seung Ho

Birthday: August 17, 1993

CONTINUE READING BELOW ↓

Early Roles 

Seung Ho first rose to stardom in the film The Way Home (2002), where he played a city boy who learns to appreciate country life when he's forced to spend the summer with his deaf-mute grandmother. He also played the younger counterparts of the male leads in dramas such as Immortal Admiral Yi Sun-sin (2004), The King and I (2007), and The Legend (2007).

Recent Dramas  

In 2017, Seung Ho starred in the drama I Am Not A Robot as Min-kyu, the greatest shareholder of Korea's largest financial company with an IQ of 159. The catch is, he's allergic to humans! He also starred as a troubled crown prince in The Emperor: Owner of the Mask (2017) and in My Strange Hero (2019) as a high school student who gets expelled after being falsely accused of violence.

DON'T MISS THIS!

5. Nam Da Reum

Birthday: June 13, 2002

CONTINUE READING BELOW ↓

Early Roles

He's that kid who's often cast as the younger version of the male leads and their friends! Da Reum has been the child counterpart of Kim Hyun Joong in Boys Over Flowers (2009), Lee Jong Suk in Pinnochio (2014) and While You Were Sleeping (2017), and Lee Je Hoon in Where Stars Land (2018), among others. 

Recent Dramas 

Da Reum got the lead role in Goodbye My Life Insurance (2019), which tells the story of a father who is diagnosed as a terminally ill patient. The father decides to create an AI clone that will be able to replace him in order to accompany his son (Da Reum) once he's gone.

Da Reum is currently starring in a drama called Beautiful Life, where he plays the role of Sun Ho, a student who becomes critically injured due to an incident of school violence. His family seeks the truth and fights for justice in his name. No doubt about it: Da Reum is a rising star! 

• Like 1

SOUTH KOREA

The 11 Best Korean Dramas of 2019

Discover the top Korean dramas of 2019 across genres like historical, romance, action, and more—with streaming links included.

BY THE EDITORS, 31 DEC 19 00:02 UTC
 (146)   (24) 

CE_BestKoreanDramas2019-2.jpg

Many great Korean dramas came out in 2019. Alas, you probably don’t have unlimited time—so which 2019 K-dramas should you prioritize watching?

This list of the Best Korean Dramas of 2019 can help you decide.

Here, Cinema Escapist has picked the top Korean dramas of 2019—across a variety of genres like romance, action, conspiracy, historical, and more.

Several criteria informed our selections. Foremost, the K-drama had to start broadcasting in 2019. This disqualified worthwhile hits like Sky Castle and Memories of the Alhambra that began in 2018. We then found 2019 K-dramas that had the best combination of high entertainment value, societal relevance, and international streaming availability.

Using these factors, we’ve come up with 11 choices for 2019’s best Korean dramas. We’ve also included streaming links for easy watching. Take a look!

•   •   •

11. When the Camellia Blooms

hqdefault.jpg

Starring: Gong Hyo-jin, Kang Ha-neul, Kim Ji-seok | Genre: Romantic Comedy, Thriller

Our list of 2019’s best Korean dramas kicks off with When the Camellia Blooms. In this K-drama, Gong Hyo-jin stars as a single mother named Oh Dong-baek who moves to a small town called Ongsan. There, she opens a bar called Camellia— and contends with local gossips, rude customers, and even a serial killer. Meanwhile, a police officer named Hwang Yong-sik (Kang Ha-neul) becomes enamored with Oh.

When the Camellia Blooms enjoyed great viewer reception, garnering 23.8% of Korean audience share for its finale. Great acting and a well-written storyline helped make the drama especially captivating. Its small town setting and single mother lead also differ from many K-dramas, which often occur in Seoul and have younger female protagonists. Given how women’s social status y was a prominent topic in Korea during 2019, When the Camellia Blooms‘ strong female-led story was quite societally relevant as well.

Watch this Korean drama on Netflix

10. Love Alarm

hqdefault.jpg

Starring: Kim So-hyun, Jung Ga-ram, Song Kang | Genre: Romance, School, Comedy, Friendship

On the surface, Love Alarm might seem like another standard teen romance drama. If you enjoy such dramas, then great—the show does pretty well at executing upon that formula. However, if you want a Korean drama that has more meaning, Love Alarm can check that box too.

Set in a high school, the drama imagines a world in which people use an app called a “Love Alarm” to find romantic matches. In this world, a popular kid named Hwang Sun-oh (Song Kang) develops feelings for an orphaned girl named Kim Jo-jo (Kim So-hyun) amidst the societal expectations and stresses that come with using Love Alarms.

Though Love Alarm isn’t depressing, it has echoes of the popular dystopian series Black Mirror. In many scenes, the drama highlights the self-esteem and mental health issues that come from social media.  As debates around social media’s ill effects rage, Love Alarm feels especially timely.

Learn more about Love Alarm in our full-length review.

Watch Love Alarm on Netflix

9. Arthdal Chronicles

hqdefault.jpg

Starring: Jang Dong-gun, Song Joong-ki, Kim Ji-won | Genre: Fantasy, Action, Romance

Viewers who loved Song Joong-ki in 2016’s Descendants of the Sun will be pleased with Arthdal Chronicles—which sees Song return as a K-drama lead. In this drama, Song, Jang Dong-gun, and Kim Ji-won star as the three protagonists. As inhabitants of the city of Arthdal in a mythical land called Arth, the three protagonists must contend with tribal politics and romantic travails as they aspire for power and redemption.

Arthdal Chronicles feels a bit like a Korean version of the American HBO series Game of Thrones—which isn’t a bad thing. Those who enjoy intricate world-building, power struggles, and high production quality will find that Arthdal Chronicles gives Game of Thrones a run for its money. As a Korean drama, Arthdal Chronicles also is slightly more tame than Game of Thrones; this might be good news for those turned off by Game of Thrones‘ reputation for lurid violence and lasciviousness.

Overall, we feel Arthdal Chronicles deserves a place on this list of 2019’s top K-dramas especially for high entertainment value. It’s one of the more ambitious and epic productions from the Korean drama-sphere in 2019.

Watch Arthdal Chronicles on Netflix

8. Romance Is a Bonus Book

hqdefault.jpg

Starring: Lee Na-young, Lee Jong-suk, Jung Yoo-jin, Wi Ha-joon | Genre: Romantic Comedy

Fans of Lee Jong-suk will likely enjoy Romance Is a Bonus Book, which marks his last Korean drama performance before doing military service.

In this K-drama, Lee stars as Cha Eun-ho, a handsome editor-in-chief of a publishing company. Lee Na-young plays the female lead opposite him, a single mother named Kang Dan-yi who used to be a great copywriter but has lost her shine. Desperate for a job, Kang lies to gain employment at Cha’s company—and the two develop feelings for each other.

If you enjoy Korean dramas where the female lead is older than the male lead, Romance Is a Bonus Book is worth a watch. Besides having a decent storyline, Romance Is a Bonus Book also contains interesting commentary around marriage, age, parenthood, and other aspects of human existence and interpersonal relationships.

Watch Romance Is a Bonus Book on Netflix

7. The Crowned Clown

hqdefault.jpg

Starring: Yeo Jin-goo, Lee Se-young | Genre: Historical/Period, Romantic Comedy

If you enjoy period dramas, The Crowned Clown may suit your fancy. Inspired by Masquerade—one of South Korea’s most popular films of all time—this K-drama depicts how the King of Joseon puts a clown who looks just like him on the  throne in order to escape vicious power struggles.

Yeo Jin-goo plays both the king and the clown with great skill. Meanwhile, Lee Se-young plays the Joseon queen, which the clown develops a romantic interest in. Besides great acting, The Crowned Clown also contains a lot of juicy political maneuvering that’s both thought-provoking and suspenseful. It’s no wonder that The Crowned Clown topped audience ratings upon its release.

Watch The Crowned Clown on Viki

6. The Fiery Priest

hqdefault.jpg

Starring: Kim Nam-gil, Kim Sung-kyun, Lee Ha-nee | Genre: Comedy, Crime, Mystery

With one of the more heavily Christian populations in East Asia, South Korea likes putting priests in dramas and movies. The Fiery Priest another example of this phenomenon.

Kim Nam-gil stars as a priest named Kim Hae-il, who has a “fiery” temper and the fighting skills to back it up. After a senior priest’s mysterious death, Kim teams up with an ambitious prosecutor (played by Lee Ha-nee) and bumbling detective (played by Kim Sung-kyun) to uncover the truth.

The Fiery Priest was an unexpected, breakout hit. It garnered 16.1% average nationwide (Korea) audience share across its broadcast period. Viewers who enjoy action and comedy will love The Fiery Priest. There’s plenty of fight scenes, the the three protagonists have excellent chemistry and complementary personality traits.

Watch The Fiery Priest on Viki

5. Designated Survivor: 60 Days

hqdefault.jpg

Starring: Ji Jin-hee, Lee Joon-hyuk, Heo Jun-ho, Kang Han-na, Bae Jong-ok | Genre: Political, Thriller, Conspiracy

Adapted from an eponymous American series, Designated Survivor: 60 Days is a thrilling drama that gives viewers an easy taste of Korean politics.

The series begins when unknown perpetrators bomb Korea’s National Assembly building, killing the president and most high officials. This leaves bookish environment minister Park Mu-jin (Ji Jin-hee) as the Acting President according to Korea’s constitution. With 60 days before elections, Park must bring the bombers to justice while fighting for political survival.

Designated Survivor: 60 Days offers a great balance between political details and accessible entertainment. It offers scenes like free trade agreement negotiations that’ll please politics enthusiasts, but also contains plenty of action that anybody can enjoy.

Learn more in our full-length review of Designated Survivor: 60 Days.

Watch Designated Survivor: 60 Days on Netflix 

4. Crash Landing On You

hqdefault.jpg

Starring: Hyun Bin, Son Ye-jin | Genre: Romantic Comedy, Political

At Cinema Escapist, we enjoy analyzing North-South Korean relations. Therefore, we felt quite pleased when Crash Landing On You came out to great audience reception.

In this romantic comedy drama, Son Ye-jin stars as a rich South Korean heiress who accidentally lands in North Korea after a paragliding accident. A handsome North Korean army captain (played by Hyun Bin) rescues her. Despite geopolitical obstacles, the two fall in love.

Son Ye-jin and Hyun bin have excellent chemistry in Crash Landing On You, and the drama has great pacing and production value. Those who aren’t romance fans can also enjoy Crash Landing On You. It has many insightful observations about regular North Korean life that we’ve never seen on any other K-drama.

Learn more in our full review of Crash Landing On You!

Watch Crash Landing On You on Netflix

3. Vagabond

hqdefault.jpg

Starring: Lee Seung-gi, Bae Suzy | Genre: Conspiracy, Action, Thriller, Espionage

Fake news and conspiracies were hot topics during 2019, and the Korean drama Vagabond incorporated them into a binge-worthy narrative.

Lee Seung-gi stars as a stuntman named Cha Dal-geon, who loses his beloved nephew in a mysterious airplane crash. Cha realizes the crash isn’t an accident—and ends up teaming up with National Intelligence Service agent Go Hae-ri (played by Bae Suzy) to uncover a conspiracy that ensnares the highest rungs of corporate and political power in Korea.

Filmed in Morocco and Korea, Vagabond evokes other K-drama hits like Descendants of the SunIris, and Memories of the Alhambra through its ambitious globe-trotting scope. The series never has a dull moment; every episode has gunfights, fistfights, or some action scene that takes full advantage of Cha Dal-geon’s stuntman status and Go Hae-ri’s training as a spy. Furthermore, Vagabond contains relevant social commentary around military-industrial complexes and government corruption, which’ll please viewers looking for a more political flavor to their K-dramas.

Learn more in our full review of Vagabond!

Watch Vagabond on Netflix

2. Chief of Staff

hqdefault.jpg

Starring: Lee Jung-jae, Shin Mi-na, and Lee Elijah | Genre: Political 

When Chief of Staff first came out, we gave it a lukewarm review based on the first few episodes. However, the series got a lot better as it progressed; we’ve never been happier to see our first impressions destroyed.

First of all, Chief of Staff doesn’t feel like a traditional K-drama with melodrama and excessive romance—and we love that. Instead, it takes after American political shows like The West Wing and House of Cards in offering a realistic, detailed look at the inner workings of Korea’s democracy.

The show focuses on Jang Tae-jun (played by Lee Jung-jae), who starts off as the chief of staff to a powerful legislator. Jang has a reputation as a ruthlessly efficient operator—and he aspires to be a legislator himself, tradeoffs be damned. While Chief of Staff starts off slowly, by the halfway point of season one (happily, there’s a second season already out) there’s blood in the water and lots of juicy intrigue that keeps you binge-ing onwards.

By going in a different direction from traditional K-dramas and deploying excellent acting and production value, Chief of Staff became one of the most popular Korean dramas of 2019. It’s not only a testament to the quality of Korea’s television productions, but also evidence that Korea’s democracy has matured enough to make such realistic political shows.

Read our (different) first impressions of Chief of Staff in our full review.

Watch Chief of Staff on Netflix

1. Hotel del Luna

hqdefault.jpg

Starring: IU (Lee Ji-eun), Yeo Jin-goo, Jung Dong-hwan, Lee Tae-sun, Kang Mi-na | Genre: Fantasy, Romance, Comedy

Topping off our list of 2019’s best Korean dramas is Hotel del Luna. With great storytelling, exceptional acting from an all-star cast, high production quality, and rollicking humor, Hotel del Luna is worth binge-ing through and even rewatching.

Renowned singer IU steals the show as Jang Man-wol, an eternally young woman who’s been cursed with running a hotel for ghosts (called the Hotel del Luna) for the past 1300 years. Through some subterfuge, Jang recruits a young man named Koo Chan-sung (played by Yeo Jin-goo) to become her hotel’s new manager. Throughout the show, Koo must deal with Jang’s fickle whims and assist ghosts with unfinished business in the mortal world.

Hotel del Luna has a little bit of everything—fantasy, romance, action, mystery, and laughs. IU’s acting is especially commendable. She makes Jang Man-wol one of the most captivating and memorable characters in K-drama history, with a winning combination of sass and sensitivity. It’s no surprise that, according to NielsenHotel del Luna is also the highest rated Korean drama that started broadcasting in 2019.

• Like 1