Started a new show on Prime - Thus Spoke Rohan Kishibe - and it's only three seasons with eight episodes in total. The episodes feel like vignettes because the pacing is rather slow. I'm enjoying it so far. It blends light and dark themes really well . And it would be nice to see JH in something as offbeat. The female lead is OTT and annoying though

Anyway back to the waiting game...

• Like 1

another promo for JH's appearance in the other SBS show-

On 5/12/2024 at 11:13 PM, YouwinJH said:

Started a new show on Prime - Thus Spoke Rohan Kishibe - and it's only three seasons with eight episodes in total. The episodes feel like vignettes because the pacing is rather slow. I'm enjoying it so far. It blends light and dark themes really well . And it would be nice to see JH in something as offbeat. The female lead is OTT and annoying though

Anyway back to the waiting game...

I on the other hand watched a Kdrama named The Killing Vote, just because I liked the actress Lim Ji-Yeon in The Glory, and- I hated it! It's so frustrating how these K cop shows are all the same- a veteran cop that is slightly corrupt but not entirely, a younger cop (usually a woman) that is an extremely honest cop, a bunch of "supporting" cops in the team for mostly comedic relief, one main cop that later will be reveald to having a secret, and a bad guy that is usually the most developed character. These shows will sometimes have hints of a romance, but usually they will fizzle or turn out to be very boring. This show had all these elements, but in this case none of the main characters were likable or relatable. The lead actress was trying, but she didn't have much to work with. We were being told that the male lead character was wild and crazy, but we almost never saw that. Good looking actor, but very flat. The main plot horriblle and again shows complete disregard for human lives that is so common to Kdramas . The biggest dissappointment to me was the actor playing the "antagonist", Park Sung-Woong. I know this guy is suppose to be an A list actor in Korea, but from the few projects I've seen him in, he seems to be the same in every role. 

All in all- I don't recommend. Again, I completely understand why JH is struggling to find good roles...

• Like 2

@Biology Lesson I dropped the Killing Vote after 1 episode. I also had to rewind multiple times because I couldn't pay attention. I actually liked Park Sung-Woong in Blood Hounds and him and the lead were also in Man x Man, and I liked him there as well though I've still not finished the drama

Man x Man actually had an interesting premise and the espionage bits in the beginning surpassed anything done by Family but then by episode 2 it became a chaebol vs everyman melodrama so I lost interest quickly

In terms of recent Kdramas, I started QoT but can't be asked to finish. I've been on episode 12 for over 2 weeks. It's pretty clichéd and melodramatic but there is an audience for it, which I suppose isn't me

Killer Paradox was pretty bloody but the plot was rather slow so I was bored by episode 3 so it's on pause for now

I also watched Bequeathed. The plot was too thin and the characters not properly fleshed out for me to enjoy it. And the whole incest thing was gross and didn't make sense to me. But at least I finished it

I also finally finished Hellhound. It had so much promise but then it got too slow that I had to skip a few episodes to get to the end. I could still follow the narrative thread because nothing new happened in those episodes I suppose. A show like that could have been covered in fewer episodes - even 6 episodes was too long. Would have been tighter and more impactful. Plus it was a massive cop out to not explain the phenomenon. I suspect the idea of a second season gave the writer the time she / he needs to make something up

Saw the Fall Guy yesterday. I have a newfound appreciation for stunt people. The action sequences were pretty badass and fun to watch. The storyline, very clichéd and at times made the movie rather underwhelming and boring

I can't say there are no good shows out there because I'm not watching that many these days. I've also been more focused on films. Would be interesting to see what JH does next but can't say I'm confident it will break the mould from recent trends

@azureblue7 I'm still looking forward to this show but not so much the action bits. I don't know how common it is for action actors to showcase their fighting on variety shows. At this stage, and how often JH has to do it, it's like a monkey being paraded to do a bunch of tricks. I don't like it. Frankly if he has nothing else to do on these shows maybe he shouldn't be on them until he has something to promote. I struggle to see how this is building his action brand

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, YouwinJH said:

@Biology Lesson I dropped the Killing Vote after 1 episode. I also had to rewind multiple times because I couldn't pay attention. I actually liked Park Sung-Woong in Blood Hounds and him and the lead were also in Man x Man, and I liked him there as well though I've still not finished the drama

Man x Man actually had an interesting premise and the espionage bits in the beginning surpassed anything done by Family but then by episode 2 it became a chaebol vs everyman melodrama so I lost interest quickly

In terms of recent Kdramas, I started QoT but can't be asked to finish. I've been on episode 12 for over 2 weeks. It's pretty clichéd and melodramatic but there is an audience for it, which I suppose isn't me

Killer Paradox was pretty bloody but the plot was rather slow so I was bored by episode 3 so it's on pause for now

I also watched Bequeathed. The plot was too thin and the characters not properly fleshed out for me to enjoy it. And the whole incest thing was gross and didn't make sense to me. But at least I finished it

I also finally finished Hellhound. It had so much promise but then it got too slow that I had to skip a few episodes to get to the end. I could still follow the narrative thread because nothing new happened in those episodes I suppose. A show like that could have been covered in fewer episodes - even 6 episodes was too long. Would have been tighter and more impactful. Plus it was a massive cop out to not explain the phenomenon. I suspect the idea of a second season gave the writer the time she / he needs to make something up

Saw the Fall Guy yesterday. I have a newfound appreciation for stunt people. The action sequences were pretty badass and fun to watch. The storyline, very clichéd and at times made the movie rather underwhelming and boring

I can't say there are no good shows out there because I'm not watching that many these days. I've also been more focused on films. Would be interesting to see what JH does next but can't say I'm confident it will break the mould from recent trends

I randomly tried several shows recently, but ,like you, either dropped them in the first episode or couldn't bring myself to continue watch. I finished The Killing vote just because I was curious how it will end, but I really didn't enjoy it. 

I'm sure there are good shows (I liked The Glory and The good cop II), but they seem to be few and far between, and they usually will be first offered to those that are considered to be A list... 

By now, all I'm hoping is that JH will go for a remake or do a version of a good foreign show, which will ensure a good script.

• Like 2

@Biology Lesson a remake sounds good. I was actually gunning for the Mentalist but I'm now bored of it. The Red John plot is dragging on. They could do something like Bones but sans the romance between the leads. Instead he could be married with a family.

I want some kind of team play with a man and woman pair. Family would have been better for instance if they were two agents that didn't get along but forced into a pretend family for a job. But that would have lasted 2-3 episodes max...and the rest would be her being roped into killing by the bad guys but she's actually trying to uncover the secret org that was training child soldiers. There were so many things they could have done with that plot. It was a golden goose that they butchered...unforgiveable!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, YouwinJH said:

@Biology Lesson a remake sounds good. I was actually gunning for the Mentalist but I'm now bored of it. The Red John plot is dragging on. They could do something like Bones but sans the romance between the leads. Instead he could be married with a family.

The Mentalist I never liked... Don't like rude abusive protagonists. For the same reason I don't like House either.

Have you seen Simon Baker's previous show, called "The Guardian"? Such a complex interesting character in a great premise. If it wasn't for the annoying Lulu, I'd say that show was perfect! I highly reccomend it

3 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

The Mentalist I never liked... Don't like rude abusive protagonists. For the same reason I don't like House either.

Have you seen Simon Baker's previous show, called "The Guardian"? Such a complex interesting character in a great premise. If it wasn't for the annoying Lulu, I'd say that show was perfect! I highly reccomend it

I was watching it when I was way younger all those years ago but never paid attention to it because I was into BW and Buffy. Now I can't find it anywhere. Would be nice to rewatch

16 minutes ago, YouwinJH said:

I was watching it when I was way younger all those years ago but never paid attention to it because I was into BW and Buffy. Now I can't find it anywhere. Would be nice to rewatch

Oh, it's a great show. I loved how complex SB's role was in it  and his relationship with his dad. I think that type of a role could be great for JH.

If you can find it- watch it! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, YouwinJH said:

Well I did say I wanted him on a food show because he enjoys his food. Sigh...is this how it's going to be for the whole year?

He loves eating and chatting with friends. These are fun shows to be on for him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

He loves eating and chatting with friends. These are fun shows to be on for him.

Could also be a strategy to eat well while the wife is away. And best thing, it's free!

2 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

In the latest ep of Radio star, Kim Nam-hee chose actor Jang Hyuk as his role model and said, "He is such a funny person. Even in his seriousness, he has humor. I want to get close to him." 

https://m.entertain.naver.com/article/311/0001726537

That's sweet. I hope they've remained in touch. And it would be good if they had another show together

EDIT: I've often said that JH has a weak network in the industry and I realise now what he is trying to do. He is trying to rectify this through various variety appearances across different networks - he's done TvN, SBS, MBC and now TV Chosun. All that's left is KBS, and I suspect he'll do something with them soon

I'm glad that there is a strategy after all and it's not just HW. Producers (and ultimately the network execs) will remember him (if he manages to build rapport) and when they're working on something else will think of him (hopefully in something other than variety). I can imagine that producers / writers / etc who do variety might also be interested in TV / film. Anyway that's my two cents

It's gruelling work (and dare I say degrading) but he's not shying away from it. The comment he made about pride on that radio star show makes sense now - he has to endure it. I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed it pays off. The only gripe is I wish the subject matter was more interesting like Urban Cops or the army bootcamp one he did several years ago. The 1-on-1 format of this food show might be interesting. It reminds me of that show he did with Kim Soo-ro all those years ago

Now that it all makes sense (to me), I'll give him some encouragement and positive vibes instead of moaning about it. JH fighting. Universe please give this man some work

• Like 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, kohnlee said:

this the full episode?

The full ep is 1 h and 15 min. The link to Chinese subtitles is at JangHyuk Taiwan post 

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6_fD5HJZi7/?igsh=ZGZoMDcwcmVyam1z

(at her captions)

I've finished watching it. Though the Chinese subs didn't make sense sometimes (it's computer-generated) , it's still very enjoyable to watch. He's more relaxed and is enjoying himself more here than the Real or Reel show.

• Like 2