Episode 13 : sorry I don't mean to spoil it for you, but just incase english subtitle didn't come out at all. Here is roughly what happened including my thoughts. Those who can read chinese, 朝剧网 has with chinese subtitle. 

(1) I think K drama is like this. Or only this drama is like this. Seon Ho had been sitting there for ages bleeding but he still didn't die. Writer-nim made him bleed so long. 

(2) Bang Won facial blood stain is similar to Hwi. Both on the right side. Seon Ho blood stain is on the left. :grimace:

(3) Bang Won told the king that his tears are fake. When king cried at the palace gate when CP died, is to show the people so that the people will cry together with the king and Bang Won gets blamed by the people.

(4) Bang Won said there will only be 1x that the king will cry for real and that is when king lost his country to someone else. And Bang Won wants to see how that tears of the king will be much worse than the tears of seeing his son died.   

(5) Hwi is a weakling here. He told Bang Won he doesn't know what he (Hwi) had done. Because of his (Hwi) revenge, so many people had died and injured. I want to ask Hwi, this isn't a child play you know. The day you (Hwi) decide to join Bang Won for revenge, you should already anticipate many will be hurt and die.

(6) Why is it that I rather Hui Jae is with Bang Won than with Hwi? I never saw their chemistry Hwi and Hui Jae. Hui Jae "begged" Bang Won to let Hwi go. 

(7) Bang Won talking to his mother at his mother's shrine is so heartbreaking. He asked how much more blood he needed to see before he can build the country he desires. The vulnerable Bang Won at this moment. 

(8) The best scene in this episode has to be the one Bang Won marched in to the king's chamber and the king is preparing the arrow. Truly the physique of a warrior here. 

(9)  Woah! Bang Won is really daring. King asked if he is planning to kill Bang Gwa next and BW answered yes. King said this can't be done. BW said try blocking his way and see. The father pointed the arrow at him and Bang Won challenged his father to shoot. The entire confrontation is very good. Alot is said here.... 

(10) In the middle of the drama is pretty boring with flashbacks and waste time with Hwi friends. 

(11) Bang Won moments with Seon Ho is superb. Episode 13 seems to see Bang Won angry and he mean business now. Seon Ho will be back to revenge BW. :triumph:Bang Gwa instigated Seon Ho to kill Bang Won. 

(12) Wow, Bang Won is on a killing spree! He is more of less in control already! 

(13) The scene Bang Won drinking with Hwi. Bang Won is sad. Hwi wants to leave. Hwi told Bang Won to ensure he fulfill his plan.

(14) King revenge on iwaharu. Finally that useless guard is fighting and badly injured. Hui Jae is slashed too. Will she survive? Ok, I saw the preview for episode 14, Hui Jae didn't die. Seon Ho is back for revenge. BG is named CP. 

I think BW got drunk because he is angry his father named BG as CP instead of naming him. This anger would lead to the 2nd strife.    

Sorry I am not a translator so I am just trying my best to give you an idea of what happened in ep 13 incase the english subtitle is not coming. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

Give what a chance? The show is almost done. It's not gonna suddenly magically change and in the three last episodes have character development and a time line that is coherent. We're by the end and I still don't understand what was the point of this show! What was the overarching story here? Now I see that the synopsis of the show was accurate- the plot of the show is as vague as it was :smirk:

If you happen to enjoy the show itself, than that's great. I'm glad for you. I didn't. And JH not being the lead is just one of the reasons. Right now I'm kinda hoping that someone will create a supercut of all of JH's scenes so that I can rewatch that...

I think once I accept that JH is not the lead, it isn't that bad now. Initially I jumped because of his less screen time. It is only the writing that is bad in some parts. But in every drama, sure got bad writing and BM (in my opinion) is 1 of them.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, budgerie said:

(3) Bang Won told the king that his tears are fake. When king cried at the palace gate when CP died, is to show the people so that the people will cry together with the king and Bang Won gets blamed by the people.

Thanks for the rundown of the episode! Really nice of you! 

What YBW says here actually makes sense, since the king himself told the step mother that he has no feelings for his younger son. All he cares about is that he is young and that he will allow him to rule longer. Looks like BW knows his father well...

(6) Why is it that I rather Hui Jae is with Bang Won than with Hwi? I never saw their chemistry Hwi and Hui Jae. Hui Jae "begged" Bang Won to let Hwi go. 

From their first encounter I thought the interaction between YBW and the girl was spicy. I also kinda hope they got together. I read that BW's wife was considered to be very smart. The show could have gone that way... but sadly the show dropped that, and made their relationship a working relationship. We didn't even get to meet his wife! By the way- I don't know if that was common at the time, but I also noticed that almost all his other wives and concubines came from his first wive's entourage... which is... interesting... :D

(7) Bang Won talking to his mother at his mother's shrine is so heartbreaking. He asked how much more blood he needed to see before he can build the country he desires. The vulnerable Bang Won at this moment. 

I wish we had even a single scene to show us his interaction with his mother. Seems like he loved her very much. It would have made this scene much more impactfull...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, budgerie said:

I think once I accept that JH is not the lead, it isn't that bad now. Initially I jumped because of his less screen time. It is only the writing that is bad in some parts. But in every drama, sure got bad writing and BM (in my opinion) is 1 of them.  

Not for me. I have watched shows that JH wasn't in. Also, I have dropped shows that JH was in, like Tazza and WOL, and fast forwarded through Chuno. That's not the point. For me personally, as I said before, if JH wasn't in My Country, I wouldn't have gone past the first episode. Obviously every show has bad writing, but it's the overarching story and characterization that makes me stay. If a show generally makes sense with a coherent story arch, has likable and engaging characters, and the writing is generally good- I'll watch it. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

3 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

What YBW says here actually makes sense, since the king himself told the step mother that he has no feelings for his younger son. All he cares about is that he is young and that he will allow him to rule longer. Looks like BW knows his father well...

Bang Won said he almost got "cheated" by his father. He nearly believed his father's crocodile tears. 

From their first encounter I thought the interaction between YBW and the girl was spicy. I also kinda hope they got together. 

Me too! Still thought they were going to develop feelings during the escape. She obviously looked more suited to BW than to Hwi.

I wish we had even a single scene to show us his interaction with his mother. Seems like he loved her very much. It would have made this scene much more impactfull...

Yes, show made us believe he loves his mother very much by being at her shrine twice. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

Lucky all of you that can read chinese subs! Pleeeease write all the spoilers you can! Have mercyyyyyy

@budgerie has very kindly listed the spoilers from epi 13 above in this page!

46 minutes ago, budgerie said:

King asked if he is planning to kill Bang Gwa next and BW answered yes. King said this can't be done

This one is Bang Beon, not Bang Gwa. LBW killed both brothers from Queen Sindeok. He didn’t kill any of his blood brothers. 

48 minutes ago, budgerie said:

Seon Ho will be back to revenge BW. :triumph:Bang Gwa instigated Seon Ho to kill Bang Won. 

It’s Bang Gan that instigated! The brother who appears funny and carefree but is calculative inside. I don’t think we will see the face of Bang Gwa. Or maybe it will be some unknown actor appearing briefly. 

thanks so much @budgerie for recapping!

actually does anyone know why Bang Gwa was chosen as the crown prince and became king after? just by seniority? And in real history did Bang Won take it well?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

actually does anyone know why Bang Gwa was chosen as the crown prince and became king after? just by seniority? And in real history did Bang Won take it well?

From what I read, Bang won was involved in the decision to make Bang Gwa the king, maybe he even decided on that. From what we saw, BW tends to follow the customs, so I think in order to prevent controversy, he had his brother become the king, but he was the one with the real power behind the scenes, until his brother has had enough of that, which led to the second strife and to BW becoming the king himself

• Like 1

1 hour ago, budgerie said:

(4) Bang Won said there will only be 1x that the king will cry for real and that is when king lost his country to someone else. And Bang Won wants to see how that tears of the king will be much worse than the tears of seeing his son died.   

(9)  Woah! Bang Won is really daring. King asked if he is planning to kill Bang Gwa next and BW answered yes. King said this can't be done. BW said try blocking his way and see. The father pointed the arrow at him and Bang Won challenged his father to shoot. The entire confrontation is very good. Alot is said here.... 

(11) Bang Won moments with Seon Ho is superb. Episode 13 seems to see Bang Won angry and he mean business now. Seon Ho will be back to revenge BW. :triumph:Bang Gwa instigated Seon Ho to kill Bang Won. 

(12) Wow, Bang Won is on a killing spree! He is more of less in control already! 

You are the best! Thank you so much for this! I have some comments and questions

I’m amazed/surprised at the harsh words Bangwon had for his father in the first scene! Not at all what I expected just by watching it without subs. Bangwon’s demeanor is like he himself is in pain and yet he is uttering such cruel words. Shows great depth of acting and complexity. I love it! 

Bangwon and Hui Jae had such promising sparks at the beginning of the drama. Too bad they took it nowhere. 

Just to clarify Bang Hwa is the current “available” oldest son (actual oldest son was exiled or dead, out of the picture since he had been a loyal to the previous kingdom) Ban Gan (the funny one in the drama) is the one who revolted. Not sure if they are changing something in this drama. 

Would it be too much trouble to ask you what more was said between BW and his father in their second encounter? It looked like they talked a lot

Seonho’s “revenge” is making zero sense to me but WDW is a compelling young actor so I can still enjoy his scenes with Jang Hyuk 

and question for you! All those people dead on the streets are BW’s responsibility? :o

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

I agree. But remind me- what exactly was their story line again?! :) 

Two friends on opposite sides due to circumstances, willingly or unwillingly entangled in politics  bla bla bla, but unfortunately they didn’t seem to have a real purpose or motivation other than killing Namjeon. When Namjeon died, it’s like their story is completely over. Too bad, because Bangwon is still interesting but it is the leads who should carry the drama, and writers seem to forget about them. At least they could’ve created a more interesting dynamic between them and Bangwon (I felt chemistry with Hui Jae, but that was dropped, I felt potential with Hwi as a character but they didn’t develop it much, felt absolute potential with Seonho as a character, saw some paralells between Seonho and Bangwon, and liked the chemistry between actors, but again not sufficiently developed) I was enjoying this drama a lot, but I do feel it got stuck on certain areas and they dropped the ball lately. I’m still desperate for eng subs though! 

• Like 4

Sorry to interrupt, I know I am so late for this topic but I want to tell that JH does have freckles and cute birthmark on his cheek.

His freckles are not clearly visible unless we zoom to his face. 

E03-171024-HDTV-H264-1080p-NEXT-mp4-0016

For his moles, I think it's nothing dangerous. I notice he used to have little moles over his face but he probably got facial laser to remove them. Maybe it's easier for makeup.

Spoiler

Searching-for-the-Elephant-2009-720p-HDT

and talking about this topic I don't mean to point our his flaw.

I feel like I am crazy to observe his moles but I think it is his beauty.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Just now, dramafan33 said:

@nykAwwww Searching for the elephant is such a strange movie but his character was so vulnerable. I felt for him

LOL I like 'Searching for the elphant' too. It's such a weird and confusing movie but It's very interesting and hidden with meaningful messages? and I like his character!! 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, nyk said:

Sorry to interrupt, I know I am so late for this topic but I want to tell that JH does have freckles and cute birthmark on his cheek.

His freckles are not clearly visible unless we zoom to his face. 

For his moles, I think it's nothing dangerous. I notice he used to have little moles over his face but he probably got facial laser to remove them. Maybe it's easier for makeup.

and talking about this topic I don't mean to point our his flaw.

I feel like I am crazy to observe his moles but I think it is his beauty.

Oh, wow! looking at the pictures you posted, it's clear he had many of them removed. Now I see there was another raised one on the back of his neck. As to the "freckles" in the DC picture, for sure the one next to his ear is a scar from the removal of the mole he had there. Maybe that is why, as his friends from the Dragon Club commented, he almost always has makeup on when he is doing any kind of shoot.

I agree that moles are mostly benign, but they can change. Essentially they are a product of skin cells that stopped behaving normally. I know that the common practice is to have them monitored, in case they change.

As for Searching for the elephant- I also liked that movie. Such and odd and interesting movie. JH's portrayal was very good...

• Like 3

6 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

This one is Bang Beon, not Bang Gwa. LBW killed both brothers from Queen Sindeok. He didn’t kill any of his blood brothers. 
It’s Bang Gan that instigated! The brother who appears funny and carefree but is calculative inside. I don’t think we will see the face of Bang Gwa. Or maybe it will be some unknown actor appearing briefly. 

Thanks @The Reel Lifefor correcting me. These BANG are making me confused. Bang Won, Bang Gan, Bang Beon, Ban Gwa. Esp when translating names from chinese to english. :sleepy:

6 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

From what I read, Bang won was involved in the decision to make Bang Gwa the king, maybe he even decided on that. From what we saw, BW tends to follow the customs, so I think in order to prevent controversy, he had his brother become the king, but he was the one with the real power behind the scenes, until his brother has had enough of that, which led to the second strife and to BW becoming the king himself

Maybe drama will change to make it more impactful that BW expected to be named but did not which led to 2nd strife. English subtitle still not out for ep 13 and ep 14. 

5 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

Would it be too much trouble to ask you what more was said between BW and his father in their second encounter? It looked like they talked a lot

and question for you! All those people dead on the streets are BW’s responsibility? :o

No worries about recapping ep 13. I just try as best I can. And I realised I cannot do a translator job. It is difficult to translate from chinese to english as I feared I might have used the wrong word. 

Yes alot was said in the 2nd encounter which I was cracking my head how to translate. 

3 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

Two friends on opposite sides due to circumstances, willingly or unwillingly entangled in politics  bla bla bla, but unfortunately they didn’t seem to have a real purpose or motivation other than killing Namjeon. When Namjeon died, it’s like their story is completely over. Too bad, because Bangwon is still interesting but it is the leads who should carry the drama, and writers seem to forget about them. At least they could’ve created a more interesting dynamic between them and Bangwon (I felt chemistry with Hui Jae, but that was dropped, I felt potential with Hwi as a character but they didn’t develop it much, felt absolute potential with Seonho as a character, saw some paralells between Seonho and Bangwon, and liked the chemistry between actors, but again not sufficiently developed) I was enjoying this drama a lot, but I do feel it got stuck on certain areas and they dropped the ball lately. I’m still desperate for eng subs though! 

Yes, the lead seemed to be BW now. Hui Jae role seemed redundant. The 2 boys are.....ok Hwi got his revenge but Seon Ho is still floating. 

Seems like King wants to make BW bear the responsibility of all the killings. That's why BW said he was almost cheated by his father's tears when at the palace gate. But BW realised it is to make people cry with the king and blame BW.

• Like 3

Episode 14

Started with BW confrontation with the king. He asked king to withdraw his army. But king refused. He forbid the king to leave the chamber (confine the king). King said the more you force, the more people will hate you. But Bang Won said I ask you one more time to withdraw. King refused. BW knelt and said the people will forget you. Once you are no longer a king, you are just an old man. 

Bang Won said to the army chief in red at the forest - from now on, all of you will die. Whether you will beg for mercy or try to escape or what you will do, all of you must die. 

Hwi asked BW what is his country? Bang Won answered, protecting you people is my country. He did come to the rescue of Hwi and Hui Jae.

Hwi said he will ensure BW becomes king (agrees to join force with BW) but if BW abandons his people after he ascends the throne, Hwi will kill BW. 

Seon Ho instigates those bunch of crooks to revenge. Seon Ho wants to make use of Bang Gan to "trap" Bang Won. 

Bang Won told the king the one who begin all these is not me. Is from the "top" but king said the "ending" will be you. King said no doubt he got his country through fighting but can't use fighting to rule the country.

When told that the king wants to summon BG in to the palace, BG said "now the king wants to make use of me" King said to BG, if your brother (BW) becomes king, how will you be able to survive? When BG saw BW in the palace, BG said to himself, Bang Won treats himself like a king already.

Hwi confronted the king why did king abandon them? Hwi said he will ensure BW rise up to the throne to make king regret he once abandon them. But king is adamant not letting BW rise up. 

BIG TIME JUMP : King abdicate. Who became king? I am confused. THIS IS BAD. SUDDEN TIME JUMP. And BW dressed in normal clothes with untidy hairstyle. 

BW wants the new king to lay down foundation for the country (meaning name the next in line). King said I still don't know who yet. 

(Stop here for a moment because I am confused with the story now. @The Reel Lifeplease correct me if I am wrong. Translate from text to text is difficult) hahaha.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2