Su Ae 수애 | Soo AE

71e

August 17, 2007

Soo Ae Sheds Refined Image for Boorish New Role

20070817000900zb6.jpg

Actress Soo Ae has completely revamped her image as the "queen of tears." In the MBC weekend drama "9 End 2 Outs," she has broken out of her fragile and elegant shell, playing a 30-year-old, foul-mouthed and disheveled spinster. She has cast off her melancholy mien and transformed into a jaded single woman struggling with life. Working at a small publishing firm, she dreams of becoming a writer, though nobody much cares. She has a baseball-player boyfriend eight years her junior and, thanks to objections from her family and friends, the relationship is going nowhere. As the character Hong Nan-hee, Soo Ae has taken her acting to a new level.

"How many people have realized their dreams at 30?" Soo Ae says. "That's why Nan-hee is so appealing to female viewers. So many opportunities have passed her by and now she's 30 and realizing she's accomplished nothing. Isn't that how it is with most people? I totally understand her."

When asked how she pictures her own life at 30, the actress says, "I'm not really sure because I haven't set any goals, but I think I'll be hard at work. But it could be that phase in life when you have to let go of something. I want to be 32 fast. I feel that by then, I'll be more secure and have become a true woman who knows the world. Marriage? Probably not by then. Spinsters these days are in their late 30s, right?"

Her character gets low and vulgar in the show, boozing it up and cursing people out, and this weekend's installment brings out the worst -- or the best? -- of it. Soo Ae in reality has a husky, neutral voice, which helps her tomboyish performance feel so natural. But her voice hasn't always been a plus. "I've been told many times that my voice would be a detriment to my career," she says. "When I first got started, a lot of viewers posted comments online that they changed the channel because of the way I talk."

"It was odd because I thought of my husky voice as my biggest asset. So I would tell people, 'Keep on listening, you'll get to like it.'"

Soo Ae nearly debuted as a member of a pop idol group. Fresh out of high school, a record agent approached the young stunner on the street in the trendy Apgujeong area. She spent six months in grueling practice, but in the end had no album to put out. "I didn't sing well, but the six months I spent with the team was so fun. I was lucky to get into acting." So what is her off-screen personality really like? "I'm very shy," she says bluntly. "I steep myself in my characters so much that often I get too heartbroken to control myself. I didn't know I had qualities like Nan-hee does. Even my parents are surprised."

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/new...0708170009.html

• 2 weeks later...

August 28, 2007

Jung Jin Young, Uhm Tae Woong, Jung Kyung Ho to join Director Lee Joon Ik

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/7301/3690cy3.jpg

The male cast for Director Lee Joon Ik's new film has been determined.

With Soo Ae as the female lead, Jung Jin Young, Uhm Tae Woong, and Jung Kyung Ho will join.

Jung Jin Young who has appeared in three out of four films by the director will once again appear as Jung Man, the member of a traveling performer group. Jung Man is chased away to Vietnam after by loan sharks and creates a performing group and tries to recruit Soon Yi (Soo Ae) as his vocal playing a selfish and materialistic character.

Uhm Tae Woong who has been praised for his roles in 'Resurrection,' 'The Devil' and the movie 'Family Ties' will play the role of Sang Kil, Soon Yi's husband and will draw the life of a character who survives through a brutal war. Uhm Tae Woong recently completed the filming of 'The Best Moment of Our Lives' and has also been cast for the omniversal film 'My Love' by Director Lee Han.

Jung Kyung Ho who acted in 'When Romance Meets Destiny (Kwangshik's Brother Kwangtae)' and also displayed mature acting in 'Gangster High' will play the role of Yong Deuk who takes care of Soon Yi.

Cho Chul Hyun of Tiger Pictures says, "The three together will create perfect harmony in playing three different male characters that display different sides of people focused around Soon Yi."

Source: BROASIA.com

http://www.broasia.com/lwboard/lwboard.php...pg=1&no=369

Aug 29 2007

LEE Jun-ik Casts SU Ae and UHM Tae-woong

The leading roles for LEE Jun-ik’s Nimeun Meon Gose (English translation: someone dear is far away) went to SU Ae and UHM Tae-woong. SU Ae will play the female lead role. Her character joins an entertainment group bound for Vietnam to entertain military troops, but her real agenda is to search for her husband who serves in Vietnam. The husband will be portrayed by UHM. The film is set during the Vietnam War in the 70s.

Director LEE has been influential with films like: King and the Clown, Radio Star, and Once upon a Time in a Battlefield. King and the Clown became the most popular Korean film in 2006 and is currently second after BONG Joon-ho’s The Host. King and the clown was a surprise hit when the film went on from a modest release to become a record breaking film through positive word-of-mouth.

SU Ae starred opposite LEE Byung-hun in JOH Keun-shik’s drama Once in a Summer. UHM played in Family Ties alongside MOON So-ri. KIM Tae-yong’s drama was invited by numerous international film festivals. UHM is currently filming The Best Moment of our Lives.

Yi Ch’ang-ho (KOFIC)

http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/KOFIC/Channel?...Gesimul_SNO=769

Guest marg918

I first saw Su Ae in Love Letters. At first glance, she's really not that eye catching but as you get see her more, her kind of beauty grows on you. She's naturally beautiful. And I like her for that. One thing I like about Su Ae is that she's a good drama actress.

I am currently watching 9 ends 2 out and she' a revelation there. This girl can is not only good in drama but she can also do comedy.

I hope she'll get more recognition she deserves.

• 2 weeks later...

^^OMG, I can't wait to watch it! Uhm Tae Woong is a great actor and with Soo Ae that's just wonderful!

I think they acted together before in a movie called A Family. I like to see Soo Ae with Kim Rae Won, Kwon Sang Woo, Jang Hyuk, don't mind Jo Hyn Jae again, and definitely not with guys who looked like a girl :D

Guest vivjelly

^ Really? I always wanted to see that movie but can't find it anywhere, not even on yesasia. What role did he play in there?

I couldn't find the English version of this movie so I don't know the exact details of it. Anyway, Soo Ae played a mother (of a young boy) who was involved in a gang and got arrested. Her father was part of the law enforcement field, so they weren't on good terms. After she got released from jail, she went to live with her father. Things weren't so easy going because they disputed quite a bit due to the grudge, and not only that, she had to start her life over with a normal job and taking care of her son. Also, the former gang boss who Soo Ae used to work for came after her with unfinished business. UTW was also part of the gang group, but he cared for Soo Ae. Well, that's all I know from the movie.

Guest ...TLT...

Soo Ae really impress mee in 9 End 2 Outs

her acting is great

the chemistry of her and LJJ is also great..

she has been one of muh fav actress of all time..

really love her a lot <3

Soo Ae Unni

AJA AJA HWIGHTING! :)

:D

happy there are so many fan for Soo Ae she is really great i saw all 9 end 2 out she is really different in her act from Aprill kiss and love letter which i really like about her ... and i hope in the future there will be other drama for her with LJJ the both of them great togather ^^

when she is crying and smilling she really looks beutiful and cute

sooae1ge1.png

js27fe8jh4.jpg

27035596sy1.jpg

2001064245419630802_rs.jpg

2002145848201661431_rs.jpg

• 2 weeks later...