[Drama 2012] Bridal Mask 각시탈

ecs707a

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ramdom thoughts:

1. First of all, I'm in a serious need of some Bingos, show, throw me a bone! :-w4gszns.gif314dkld.gif
  2. So even the tailor is in the independence movement! They really suck the money out of the Japanese everywhere: through the club (alcohol, fun, money, music) and with overpriced clothes! SMART!!! ;))103fvif.png
  3. From what I've gathered the man that the Japanese were parading was a sportsman who won an important competition, but he is still a Korean and the Empire usurped the success. It was really clever move from the scriptwriter considering both the many achievements and controversies by South Korean sportsmen during the recent Olympic Games in London :)>- . They've been using the patriotic awareness well. If I understood it right, it was nice touch, indeed.iqkkur.png
  4. You've been had, Lee Kang To! It was bound to happen with so many close calls, but still, tell me how are you going to get out of this hole you've dug for yourself, because this is not a deep one this is a neverending one X_X . But I've been asking you this question at the end of every single episode and you are still alive - miracle of the century \m/9ljzmt.pngvi2s7l.png2igdbfd.png167pkpw.png   

Kang To, Mok Dan & Rie thoughts:

Those scenes with KT & Rie were so gutwrenching :-S .You can see the amazing range in both actor's acting ^:)^ . They are able to express these unique and difficult emotions so pitch-perfect. I've noticed Rie's even stopped using the formal speech and you can reallly feel that their entire conversation moved to a different level entirely. I won't be jumping ships from KT/MD to KT/Rie, I've never done done, either I am shipping from the beginning the hopeless pairing or the canonical one, KT doesn't love Rie and he never will, not in the way that she does and would like him to, hovewer, their chemistry together is insane :x , if they were shooting an alternate universe series with these two as the main couple count me in :)>- (I'd checked their ages and to my suprised, I've discovered that HCA is 3 years older than JW, I have thought the whole time they were the same age.). I think that even the actors and production team can see that and I feel sometimes that JW is trying to tone it down so there would no confusion for the viewers (HCA really can't do that since these scenes are crucial for formating her character). It reminds me of the case in BOF between LMH and LMJ where their chemistry was also unexpected and better than the one between the main couple. It's not to say that KT/Rie have better chemistry between them than KT/MD but after episode 17 the tension between them completely vaporized, I don't feel the amazing sizzling sparks that were flying between them anymore :( , neither the incredible sense of desperation for them to be together. Right now, MD shows KT only two expressions - the worried one and the worshipping/admiring one and he handles her like a precious fragile doll. One of the reasons I like the scenes between KT/Rie better is that Rie shows always wide range of emotions and tempers - desperation, love, worry, calculation, incredulity, she is piqued, too, and others, as well - that's how normal relationships and interactions between most people look like, not the other way round. I would like to see KT/MD tease each other, at least once go out together, have fun even if alone and in a desolate place, not always talking about resistance movement, Japanese and the danger each other is in. KT, SPIRIT HER AWAY TO A SECRET GETAWAY, FAR AWAY FROM THE PSYCHO SHUNJI, POWER HUNGRY JAPANESE AND SUICIDAL PARTISANS, MAKE YOUR SHIPPER HERE HAPPY, PLEASE [-O< . And you, MD, drop the formal speech and INSTEAD OF JUST HUGGING HIM, KISS HIM (REALLY HARD) :-* .

Guest serendipity8989

I don't know what it is, but my interest in BM is waning. I'm not sure why, but I kinda feel like the show lost its appeal a little. Maybe because of the constant cat & mouse chase between KT x SJ, or maybe because KT x MD (there's no mystery left), or because KT x RIE relationship is starting to develop? IDK what it is, but right now, I'm kind of nonchalant about the whole thing.
Thoughts on Shunji: 
I kind of wish SJ's "love" for MD was real, rather than this overwhelming emotion to "possess" or control MD. During their little talk, I wanted SJ to realize how deep of a hole he dug for himself, and I wanted to see him struggle with it a bit more. I wanted to see him struggle with himself, and really ask himself why he wanted to catch BM so much. And what that would mean for his relationship with MD, and his MORALS (that he once had).
I kinda wish he did these "evil" things (except attempting to murder MD's dad), for MD and to gain her love. So that it's a sense of misguided love, but it's kinda his own and only way of demonstrating his love for her as a "JAP" (<- in the words of MD). And it would've been cool if he joined the police and worked (w/ the Koreans) while also protecting MD in his own secret ways. That would've been an endearing story line. And it would have really shown SJ's genuine love for MD....& then MD would find out later, and she could struggle with whom she ultimately chooses to love (SJ or KT). 
BUT to have SJ just RUTHLESSLY go after BM for reasons that are largely unknown (or left to viewer's imaginations/assumptions), seems a bit lacking on the writers' part. 
His original intent was to avenge his brother, and also to get his father off MD's back at the same time. What really struck me was how emotionless he was when he found out Kenji killed KT's mom/family. WTH? He didn't have ANY remorse/guilt/understanding whatsoever... IF KT WASN'T BM, (SJ wasn't 100% sure at the time), wouldn't he feel HORRIBLE that his brother killed his best friends' family??? I want him to be able to go back to those original motives and really reason/struggle with himself. And the fact that KT might be BM, how is that OK with SJ? I mean, obviously it's not, but... He seems to be SO ACCEPTING of it. And SO READY to catch KT as BM.
This drastic shift in their relationship seems almost normal now, when I don't think it should be. I think SJ should struggle w/ that a bit more. And HE'S really the one that pushed KT away. HE suspected KT first, and he was the one that spiraled down this "evil/maddening" path. NOT KT. But the fact that their relationship is SO FAKE NOW, makes it seem like their relationship wasn't really DEEP or solid in the first place. IDK. I want to see more of a struggle on SJ's part. 
He's so engulfed in "catching" and killing BM. But has he thought of the repercussions of what it would mean if KT = BM? What would that MEAN for SJ, if KT = BM and SJ kills him (his "ex" friend)?? 
I want the viewers to be able to see that side of SJ too, because the way SJ is now... is really beyond unrealistic. How could he not even struggle with his actions/decisions? Even if he is in the end, a Japanese. =/
Romance
And I'm sure it's just me, but after seeing the chemistry with KT x RIE, I want MD x SJ to have that connection too.I definitely noticed a difference in the way KT acts towards MD v. the way he acts with Rie. I'd have to say that KT is definitely more softer, and gentler around MD. He's very protective and caring. Whereas with Rie, he's conflicted. A part of me hates the fact that he's conflicted towards Rie, because that's an indicator of KT actually caring about Rie. But a part of me welcomes it, and wants that to fester and develop more.... and maybe turn into something more?
I used to be such an avid KT x MD shipper, but now, I'm not sure.

See writers?! The whole spark disappeared after Mokdan found out Kangto is Gaksital. They treat each other like siblings now, while before there was so much chemistry between their hateful glares. I just hope they will gain these sparks again

I just recalled that Shunji's nanny's granddaughter was in the other truck which was sent away by the recruiting lady. Does this mean they are still held captive :s I wonder if granny will beg Shunji to save her granddaughter...

I feel that viewers should not just be looking out for the romance aspect of this drama. BM is so much beyond the layers of plain romance. It is dealing with issues so much complicated. The cat and mouse chase between shunji and KT is necessary to build up to the final climax of the drama. None of the characters are redundant in BM. I believe even Rie's bodyguard will play an important part in coming episodes. If viewers are just looking at the superficial layer of the drama, then i say you are actually not enjoying the drama nor giving it credit for the important message of patriotism and the fight for the freedom of a nation that it is trying to bring accross. Pls do norlt lose interest in the drama just due to lack of romance scenes... the actors are putting in so much hard work.

Guest sunshine4ever

@serendipity8989, love your insights on SJ. Anyway, just wanted to say that I watched ep 21 with SJ & MD's scene only. It seems to me that he has always been a possessive person who is stirred by emotions all of these times. I don't know why there was never a scene of him thinking about Mok Dan and how he should better his relationship with her. Most of the time it's his obsessiveness of going after Bridal Mask. Episode 21's scene between SJ & MD almost caused me to tears up. What MD said to him was really a heart-to-heart confession. I am glad that it happened because if SJ is coming back, this is the only time he'll come back to being the old self. But I don't know how he's going to be back to his original self at this point because he's also deeply wounded by his possessiveness. Just think about every time he came to her (repeated again and again) to ask for her father's whereabouts. It's exactly what MD was saying: If you're my friend, you would not want to hurt my family members. He can't, at this point, be even her friend, so what makes him think that it's okay for him to be her lover? It just doesn't make sense. And what right does he have to be jealous of Bridal Mask? Since after all, like she said even if BM was a stranger, he would already saved her dad twice. Actually the former Bridal Mask (Kang San) did rescue her dad and her once. Or did he rescue twice? I can't count, but she has the words well in the scene at the KS Inn. He's conflicted and thought through about his actions. The fact that he killed a woman that was like a mother to her. Anyway, I will write more about SJ when I get a chance to fully watched episode 21, but I just felt like he's in the same pattern. Keep on being crazy and never think through.

Oh and the scene between SJ & MD was quite emotional. I like its intensity. I like her honesty and her I-am-not-scared-of-you-even-if-you're-trying-to-control-me-now-get-out attitude. I hope it brings him lightness. This was one of the few times I ever seen her being honest to him. It's like a heart-to-heart conversation and she expressed how she felt about his behavior well. Now if only he would listen to her using his own heart! Can he not see that he frequently hurts her?
princess_narnia said

@sheza right now Rie is very conflicted.

She has been so committed to the Kishokai and her adoptive Japanese "father" that she hasn't ever really stopped to consider what her people are fighting for.

She's not there yet. Her feelings for Kang To are what stopped her from shooting him. But her feelings are stopping her from hurting only Kang To. She probably wouldn't hesitate if it were someone else, just like she was ready to shoot at the girls who tried to escape. Kang To is the only one she feels unable to stop and the only one she will spare at the moment. Its all tied to him. She isn't thinking from the point of view of her people. Just a woman in love with a man who doesn't feel the same way for her. But its a start and I think we will see her sparing other people he loves soon. There needs to be a turning point for her to turn her back on Kishokai and the regime. I think that is also upcoming. @mrdimples mentioned earlier that Shunji's desire to kill Rie might be the catalyst. Because if old Ueno stands back and allows Shunji to go after her due to suspicions that she is disloyal, Rie will be very hurt and feel like it was all for nothing. That is when she will leave this life behind and wind up backing her people fully.

Guest cloe1430291736

rhaps said:

Hi everyone..

For MD shippers, pls don't kill me .. but I think one of *one of, not all of them* the reasons why the sparks between KT-MD seemed not as good as before is because JSY's acting skill. I saw how Rie looking at KT and I said to myself how painful it was to love a man like that. But when I was MD, I didn't see anything. I can see KT's eyes shine everytime he meets her, but MD is just ... rather bland. If they have enough conflict, then it won't be a problem. But now, there're not many things in their relationship except that they have to meet in secrecy. If only MD can show that kind of sparks in her eyes, then we can see how totally in love they are...no matter how short the time spent for their meeting.

That's just what I think .. :(

I don't think Rie cares about Ueno. She only met him 5 years ago so the bond is not that strong. They are just using each other and she is terrified of losing her life. Rie is acting out of self-preservation. I think she will also play both fields like Kang-To. Now that KT has been demoted, it is hard to keep his identity a secret. And the way Shunji bust KT is like a parent with a child late for his curfew. So hilarious. But I think he will continue his mind games with KT. Kang-To is losing his edge. He is not as sharp anymore. And he is behaving like Mok Dan's older brother which I am bitterly disappointed. There is a way of holding hand that depicts closeness. Yesterday's wasn't it! I agree with Shunji's love being so possessive. I think they made him a little too bipolar.

@serendipity8989 said: 
I don't know what it is, but my interest in BM is waning. I'm not sure why, but I kinda feel like the show lost its appeal a little. Maybe because of the constant cat & mouse chase between KT x SJ, or maybe because KT x MD (there's no mystery left), or because KT x RIE relationship is starting to develop? IDK what it is, but right now, I'm kind of nonchalant about the whole thing.

I felt a little the way you did because the past few episodes were nothing short of amazing. This show has been giving me so much adrenalin rush that I have become a junkie. Yesterday's episode was great in the beginning especially the part where Rie confronted Kangto with the gun and he knocked her out(IDK why every time I type "knock out', a small voice keeps saying 'knock up', oh shut up). The only other highlights were again Kangto & Rie scene in her room and the Joseon folks waving their little flags. Comparatively, it's a much slower ride but if you look at other dramas, I will say BM has delivered a lot more punches in these 21 eps than almost any I can remember. 
I trust that things will pick up speed, things will get crazier and more dangerous for Kangto, I also cannot wait to see Rie's redemption. I am already excited if somehow Rie can keep the pretense and help Kangto secretly, that will be super yummy. These 2 are so good in delivering the goodies that I find myself looking forward to their scenes. I still don't ship Rie and Kangto but nevertheless, there is that emotional bond between them. For Rie, she loves Kangto and how sad that she thought that perhaps Kangto might have some feelings for her, she was so desperate to cling to any glimmer of hope. I hope she comes to terms that she can never have Kangto but she will be moved by his passion and fervour and joins him. She is likely to pay the ultimate sacrifice for the man whom she loves but does not love her back the way she wants. I am sucker for such character so I will weep for Rie. Funny thing that hardly anyone wondered how deeply Rie had fallen for Kangto although she just met him like for less than an hour during the eventful occasion where he the rookie policeman saved her. It's almost like when she saw Kangto the 2nd time, she was attracted and fell for him almost immediately. Yet, many people were debating how possible for Mok Dan to love Kangto primarily based on her childhood love for him although they spent a lot more time together when they were children as opposed to Rie and Kangto in that incident. As I said before, maybe there is something about being saved by a man that hits you like none other and what the more when it comes in a man like Lee Kangto. Perhaps it is also credit to Han Chae Ah's acting that viewers buy the "can't help it but fall so hopelessly in love" in Rie plus she emotes the inner turmoils way better than JSY. 
Gosh, why did I write so much about Rie, I didn't even like her in the beginning, geesh.
Now on Mok Dan & Kangto. I am not putting my hopes high after seeing the short scene in the preview. They look like teenagers on a date in a cafe. What happen to the hot blooded Lee Kangto. I know it's nice to see the soft and gentle side of him since she is his precious love but please can we have some variety? You know those brief hand holding in the previous 2 episodes were better than their conversation in ep 21. It is not easy but I need to see a difference between Mok Dan emoting love for her father and Lee Kangto. The way she smile and hug her friend or her father or Lee Kangto is pretty much the same. It's difficult but I need to see the difference otherwise the scenes she has with Kangto will suffer. Perhaps they can resolve this by writing something different into their love scenes. When you see Kangto with HCA versus Mok Dan, it's different. JSY is better at delivery fiery angry looks, her lovey eyes look the same all the time to me. Still on Mok Dan & Kangto ship, so that's why I want them to be better

OMGAAAH this series... 
seriously the acting in this drama is so strong it made me yell and scream at some parts..

especially this part...when he first looked like this...15dvs7b.jpg
then suddenly changed to this...
10omzhy.jpg
My sister and I literally at the same time went... OK that was creepy (in a good way)

as for this part.....2hxrnnp.jpg2zi0th0.jpg
OMGAHHHk50rgw.jpg
but of course that didn't happen...2mycg0i.jpgGaksital writers... I demand more scenes with mokdan and kangto because of all the scenes between Kangto & Rei ---... my ship is sinkin!but you know what, I have faith that they would get a kick butt ending even if it is tear jearking.. the writer.... i believe she will do a good job with balancing everything out. eventually.

Ep21... is what I've been waiting for... Team Independence putting Team Kishokai on the edge of their seats... omg..omg..omg.. what to come???

Talk about Shunji... i just love the ending standoff so much better than all the previous ending standoff.  This one gives me the chill to my bone because Shunj know KT is Gaksital but he wants to catch KT in the act...wow Shunji...u scare me with that kind of calmness... i think i like it better when you were kicking, yelling and desperate... at least i can call you crazy... but now you are so calm just waiting for KT... i am afraid to breathe

And oh... I love the scenes with Shunji and Rie... so much fire... it's burning me... LOL

Archived