Jaeho

• Replies 19.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest nobody knows

hi ~

I'm suddenly really interested in learning the korean language ~

hahah

idk if it's the hallyu wave finally hitting me, or just an urge to learn something new, but I might as well pursue it when I'm motivated >: not like knowing another language will hurt anyway hah

so I'm wondering if there are any books that anyone recommends?

or a procedure?

like learn basic vocab first, the alphabet, common words, grammar, etc.?

I have a crapload of printing money and half a semester left, so so far I've been printing out info on the alphabet, and common words and phrases, just to familiarize myself with what might be used more

for now I wanna concentrate on improving my chinese writing and reading abilities cos I'm actually taking credits for it, but I wanna go all out in the summer for Korean :x

Guest sudu1won

@nobody knows

for beginners,

yes, the Hangul first and then basic vocabulary, basic sentence structure, and at the same time basic grammar.

I can't give recommendations on books by American or other foreign publishers because I don't know really know of them.

I'm not sure if you're interested with Korean learning books for students published in Korea though...

That said, Korean learning websites are very much available around these days. It's easy to find one and some good resources are free.

Guest wooiloveyou2

Hi everyone!

How do you say yarn in Korean? I've been here for like a month and I want to crochet something but I don't know the correct word for it ᅲᅲ Also, if you've been to Seoul before, do you know where I could find it? Like a specific store/area? I heard Dongdaemun has shops for sewing materials and stuff like that, but I haven't had the chance to go there yet..

Guest sudu1won

Hi everyone!

How do you say yarn in Korean? I've been here for like a month and I want to crochet something but I don't know the correct word for it ᅲᅲ Also, if you've been to Seoul before, do you know where I could find it? Like a specific store/area? I heard Dongdaemun has shops for sewing materials and stuff like that, but I haven't had the chance to go there yet..

Yarn is 털실 in Korean. Crochet is 코바늘뜨기.

Yes, Dongdaemun Shopping Complex (동대문종합시장) has shops selling various threads and yarns. Try going to the B building, underground floor where you can get the materials in lower prices.

A friend says individual shops (around the neighborhood) that sell yarns can be really really expensive and the prices at Dongdaemun should be the lowest in Seoul...

Guest nobody knows

@nobody knows

for beginners,

yes, the Hangul first and then basic vocabulary, basic sentence structure, and at the same time basic grammar.

I can't give recommendations on books by American or other foreign publishers because I don't know really know of them.

I'm not sure if you're interested with Korean learning books for students published in Korea though...

That said, Korean learning websites are very much available around these days. It's easy to find one and some good resources are free.

okay thank you ;~;

I did go online and print a bunch of stuff out, but ~

I personally like the feel and idea of carrying around and reading from a book haha

I went to b&n and got a dictionary and kinda like a handy-dandy-phrase book, just as a jump start

sentence structure seems like it's gonna mess me up the most

and something about cutting out unneeded words in sentences? hahah I'm gonna be a mess ~~

Guest sudu1won

Hey guys~

Just a quick question,

my grandmother writes my name like this 셸라 , my name is Sara (SAIR-ruh).

Is this pronounced the same as sara? What does this sound like?

I can read hangul but it is not really sounding like "sara" to me so I

just want an extra opinion...

Thanks!

p.s. I always thought my name in hangul was

사라 but I guess not :/

셸라 is pronounced as 'shyel-la' ...I was thinking maybe she wrote 셀라 'sel-la' which makes more sense...

either way, and I don't mean to be rude, I think perhaps that's just how she hears your name.

btw 사라 is 'sahr-ruh' (ah as in father), 세라 is 'se-ruh' (e as in pen)

Guest nobody knows

I have a question about the grammar D:

and some other stuff

haha

so I bought a conversation book and a korean/english dictionary, and in the conversation book, it has

거짓알

but in the romanization it says it's supposed to be read as "gojinmal"

but if I'm not wrong, 짓 is suppose to be read as jis? did they spell it wrong or type it wrong? this happens quite a few times in the book and I'm not sure what way I'm supposed to pronounce the words :/

and for grammar, where would I stick adjectives?

I know about subject/object/verb, but is it like Spanish where the adjective goes behind the object, or English where it goes in front? maybe it doesn't even matter?

for example, maybe I'll say (..lol. honestly I haven't even touched on grammar and vocab cos I'm still trying to learn how to read so please bear with sloppiness)

고양귀엽다

cat cute is? is that right?

있가

should be "to be" and just 가 would be is right? and did I type it wrong? cos the dictionary spells it with the ㅆ, but shouldn't it be issda then? omg

annoyingly enough, when I went to B&N to get my books, they had like 2 shelves full of books on Japanese, and then like 3 small tiny Korean dictionaries and a small K conversation book -___-

LOL

would it be better if I look up Japanese grammar instead? I heard that Japanese and Korean grammar are really similar, and it seems I can find more info on japanese (book and online wise) rather than korean

oh, and how important is spelling?

like I tend to go by syllables (or just by intuition), but

lemme find an example D:

믿을 수 가 없어 (that took so long to type out .. lol)

mid eul

if I were to spell it, I'd probably go somewhere along the lines of 미들 (mi deul)

does that mean I'm just pronouncing it wrong, need to concentrate on spelling, or maybe spelling isn't not as emphasized as it is in English?

sooooooorry so many questions ;___;

Guest sudu1won

I have a question about the grammar D:

and some other stuff

haha

so I bought a conversation book and a korean/english dictionary, and in the conversation book, it has

거짓알

but in the romanization it says it's supposed to be read as "gojinmal"

but if I'm not wrong, 짓 is suppose to be read as jis? did they spell it wrong or type it wrong? this happens quite a few times in the book and I'm not sure what way I'm supposed to pronounce the words :/

this is the reason why you should buy a book that introduces you about Hangul and its pronunciations first before jumping straight into a conversation book and a dictionary.

Korean pronunciations are not simple. Many letters change their sounds depending on their position in a syllable.

take for example, the letter 'ㅅ'

at the beginning of a syllable, it's pronounced as 's' (before ㅣ,ㅕ, ㅛ, ㅑ, ㅠ, ㅖ, ㅒ, ㅟ,  it has that 'sh' sound)

at the end of a syllable, like 짓, it's pronounced as 't', 'jit'

BUT

when the letter 'ㅁ' follows an 'ㅅ', it's pronounced as an 'n'

짓 + 말 = jit + mal = 진말 =jinmal

and there are many other rules like this which applies to several other Hangul letters. So, you might want to go thoroughly with Hangul first before starting any conversation book or at least find someone who can tell you why it is pronounced like this and this and not like that and that.

and for grammar, where would I stick adjectives?

I know about subject/object/verb, but is it like Spanish where the adjective goes behind the object, or English where it goes in front? maybe it doesn't even matter?

for example, maybe I'll say (..lol. honestly I haven't even touched on grammar and vocab cos I'm still trying to learn how to read so please bear with sloppiness)

고양귀엽다

cat cute is? is that right?

있가

should be "to be" and just 가 would be is right? and did I type it wrong? cos the dictionary spells it with the ㅆ, but shouldn't it be issda then? omg

고양이가 귀여워요

(the) cat, cute

>>the cat is cute

there's another way, which is way intermediate

귀여운 고양이

cute cat

>>a cute cat

있다

when 'ㅅ' is followed by a 'ㄷ, ㅂ, ㅈ, ㄱ, ㅋ, ㅌ, ㅊ, ㅍ', the 'ㅅ' is pronounced as a 't'

so 있다 is pronounced as 읻따

annoyingly enough, when I went to B&N to get my books, they had like 2 shelves full of books on Japanese, and then like 3 small tiny Korean dictionaries and a small K conversation book -___-

LOL

would it be better if I look up Japanese grammar instead? I heard that Japanese and Korean grammar are really similar, and it seems I can find more info on japanese (book and online wise) rather than korean

so you're learning Japanese now?

oh, and how important is spelling?

like I tend to go by syllables (or just by intuition), but

lemme find an example D:

믿을 수 가 없어  (that took so long to type out .. lol)

mid eul

if I were to spell it, I'd probably go somewhere along the lines of 미들 (mi deul)

does that mean I'm just pronouncing it wrong, need to concentrate on spelling, or maybe spelling isn't not as emphasized as it is in English?

sooooooorry so many questions ;___;

when a consonant is followed by a vowel, the consonant tend to be pronounced with the vowel.

믿을 수가 없어 is pronounced as 미들 수가 업써

Guest nobody knows

ah

the dictionary/conversation book had some info about hangul, but clearly not enough

and I looked online for reading hangul prior to buying the books, but nothing mentioned how ㅅ changes pronounciation

hopefully I can find more about pronounciation changes online, cos b&n's korean book selection was really pathetic >_<

my grammar is off ..

as expected ahhah x_x

wah not Japanese >_<

idk!

haha I'm just so confused right now

I kinda wish I took the elementary korean class instead of intensive reading/writing in chinese cos I found out the school I'm transferring to only has Chinese and Japanese class and doesn't offer classes for Korean -__-!

thank you thank you ;__;

you cleared up a lot ~ and let me know that I have muchmuchmuch more to learn than just grammar and more vocab hahahh

learning a new language is so hard ;__;

Guest sudu1won

ah

the dictionary/conversation book had some info about hangul, but clearly not enough

and I looked online for reading hangul prior to buying the books, but nothing mentioned how ㅅ changes pronounciation

hopefully I can find more about pronounciation changes online, cos b&n's korean book selection was really pathetic >_<

my grammar is off ..

as expected ahhah x_x

I was looking for the 1988 Korean Orthography Rules published by the Korean Government but I couldn't find an English version of it.

this list of rules is actually what you need to understand Korean pronunciations.

well, take your time.

everyone starts off as a beginner. :D

...oh, and what's a 'b&n' means? ㅜㅜ

wah not Japanese >_<

idk!

haha I'm just so confused right now

I kinda wish I took the elementary korean class instead of intensive reading/writing in chinese cos I found out the school I'm transferring to only has Chinese and Japanese class and doesn't offer classes for Korean -__-!

you mean you're currently taking the intensive reading/writing in Chinese class, right ?

oh, fret not !

Just finish the intensive reading/writing in Chinese because it'll help you like really alot in understanding Korean !

Trust me on this, by the time you finish the class, you are ahead of some Korean language learners who took formal classes, even if you don't make any much Korean grammar or vocabulary progress.

Take the class (with pride !) and at the same time study bits of Korean here and there, you'll surprised at how much Korean compound nouns you'll understand !

Guest nobody knows

^ oo

I was looking around online for an explanation for pronounciation changes, and on yahoo answers, the only answers there were were

"idk how to explain why it changes"

-__- aah! haaha

B&N is barnes and noble, a majour bookstore here (in the US)

and yes ~

because I'm Chinese, so I feel I should be able to read/write/speak (better) Chinese before trying another language haha

I went from only knowing the very basics of Chinese (like barely remembering my own name) to being able to read/write a loooot ~ haha

I was actually planning on only studying the alphabet for now, and start learning Korean in June after I finish Chinese and when I come back from Taiwan, but..

I'm too eager >:

at least I'll have something to do on the plane though >_<

thanks for your help :)

Guest sudu1won

Anyone please help me for this one. Thank you so much

*quoted image*

Jeong So-min showed up looking like a radiantly fair Snow White !

she gave her thoughts with her girlish looks, hahahahaha

"oh my dear...(embarrassed a bit) I am, um, just...(shyly) going to give my best."

it was revealed  that there will be a love triangle in the making between Si-wan, Ki-woo, and her. Wondering why am I getting envious already ?

*엄마야 is actually an expression used when someone is surprised

Guest mijoo-pearl

Jeong So-min showed up looking like a radiantly fair Snow White !

she gave her thoughts with her girlish looks, hahahahaha

"oh my dear...(embarrassed a bit) I am, um, just...(shyly) going to give my best."

it was revealed  that there will be a love triangle in the making between Si-wan, Ki-woo, and her. Wondering why am I getting envious already ?

*엄마야 is actually an expression used when someone is surprised

Thank you very very much. :wub::wub::wub:

Guest shadowangel28

please, can someone help me how to translate this in korean.

Thank you, you're my inspiration..

take care always ____ (little sister, big sis, little brother, big bro, oppa)

I wish to see you soon.

And also, I want to know what will be my name look/read like in korean.. Can I just pm someone for this? lol.. I'm shy to post my full name here.. ahaha..

Thank you in advance!!

Guest sudu1won

please, can someone help me how to translate this in korean.

Thank you, you're my inspiration..

take care always ____ (little sister, big sis, little brother, big bro, oppa)

I wish to see you soon.

And also, I want to know what will be my name look/read like in korean..  Can I just pm someone for this? lol.. I'm shy to post my full name here.. ahaha..

Thank you in advance!!

고마워 너는 내 인생의 격려야...

항상 몸조심하고 잘지내 >>I'm not really sure what you mean by putting (little sister, big sis, little brother, big bro, oppa) after the sentence

곧 보자.

yes, just pm if you want to... ^^

Archived