Do You Need Korean Help?

Jaeho

• Replies 19.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest gwishin

I have a quick question.

Anyone knows why goes 것 +이에요 in the copula (present)?

For example:

미국 것 이에요.

(They are american ones.) [That's one of the examples that book gives.)

My book does not say it. And I having a hard time figuring it out.

I will be very thankful! 

Guest sudu1won

Hi guys~ I was re watching an old episode of Running Man and there is a part in there that isn't subbed. And I really wanna know what was written, so I was wondering if anyone could help me translate this? Many thanks in advance! :)

*quoted image*

(I'm) not meant to look at you but...

(I'm) not supposed to look at you but...

I have a quick question.

Anyone knows why goes 것 +이에요 in the copula (present)?

For example:

미국 것 이에요.

(They are american ones.) [That's one of the examples that book gives.)

My book does not say it. And I having a hard time figuring it out.

I will be very thankful! 

sorry, I don't really understand your question but...

것 = thing

...것이에요 = it's a....thing

literally,

미국이에요 = (it's) America

미국 것이에요 = (it's an) American thing

제 것이에요 = (it's) my thing

Guest gwishin

sorry, I don't really understand your question but...

것 = thing

...것이에요 = it's a....thing

literally,

미국이에요 = (it's) America

미국 것이에요 = (it's an) American thing

제 것이에요 = (it's) my thing

Oh! Thank you!  But a friend use this example:  나에겐 행복은 가족이랑 깉이 있는 것이에요. (For me, hapiness is be with my family)

I can't understand  why  I can't use simple  이에요  or 예요 instead. 

If I remove "것"  Does it changes its meaning?

Guest onlykhang

Can anyone help me translate this to Hangul?

Thank you very much.

This video is in private mode.

Only _______ can view this 오디션 비디오.

Guest sudu1won

Oh! Thank you!  But a friend use this example:  나에겐 행복은 가족이랑 깉이 있는 것이에요. (For me, hapiness is be with my family)

I can't understand  why  I can't use simple  이에요  or 예요 instead. 

If I remove "것"  Does it changes its meaning?

ah~

simply because the main topic here is 행복 and 행복 is still an abstract 'thing'. That's why 것 is used here , it refers to 행복. 

if you don't put 것 here,

나에겐 행복은 가족이랑 같이 있어요.

then this sentence would mean "For me, there is happiness (that exists) together with my family" 

and that is quite far off from "For me, happiness is to be together with my family", isn't it ?

I hope you understand now :)

Can anyone help me translate this to Hangul?

Thank you very much.

이 오디션 비디오를 비공개로 해 놓았습니다

____만 볼 수 있습니다

Guest rogue870304

what is the correct romanisation for 거짓말? i see the common spelling for it is 'Geojitmal'. according to rule, the final sound of ㅅ is sounded as ㄷ. however if it is followed by ㅁ, hence ㅅ should be pronounced as ㄴ. in this case, shouldn't the correct spelling be Geojinmal?

Guest sudu1won

what is the correct romanisation for 거짓말? i see the common spelling for it is 'Geojitmal'. according to rule, the final sound of ㅅ is sounded as ㄷ. however if it is followed by ㅁ, hence ㅅ should be pronounced as ㄴ. in this case, shouldn't the correct spelling be Geojinmal?

Yes, you are correct.

But most people on the internet who romanized Korean words (especially K-pop lyrics) don't really care about correct romanization anyway...

and there is a romanization method made official by the Korean government but most Koreans seem to be indifferent about it and tend to romanize words in their own way. sweatingbullets.gif

Guest rogue870304

Yes, you are correct.

But most people on the internet who romanized Korean words (especially K-pop lyrics) don't really care about correct romanization anyway...

and there is a romanization method made official by the Korean government but most Koreans seem to be indifferent about it and tend to romanize words in their own way. *quoted image*

yes, thanks for the clarification. i'm trying to learn to correct way of romanising Korean and i found that a lot, like A LOT of the romanised lyrics out there contain mistakes. like what you said, people don't really care anyway as long as we get the sound as close as possible. but i'm wondering, if the romanisation is wrong in the first place, won't the pronunciation be wrong as well? so the 짓 in 거짓말 should be pronounce as JIN instead of JIT? maybe, my ears are accustomed to the 'wrong' pronunciation for years, i always hear JIT being sung.

Guest sudu1won

yes, thanks for the clarification. i'm trying to learn to correct way of romanising Korean and i found that a lot, like A LOT of the romanised lyrics out there contain mistakes. like what you said, people don't really care anyway as long as we get the sound as close as possible. but i'm wondering, if the romanisation is wrong in the first place, won't the pronunciation be wrong as well? so the 짓 in 거짓말 should be pronounce as JIN instead of JIT? maybe, my ears are accustomed to the 'wrong' pronunciation for years, i always hear JIT being sung.

Obviously, romanizations are for those who don't know how to read Hangul...so logically, if they don't know Hangul in the first place, then they don't even know (or perhaps, don't even care) that they're pronouncing it the wrong way... sweatingbullets.gif

yes, 거짓말 is pronounced as 거진말. Or if you want to be really exact, it's pronounced as  거ː 진말. The 거 is actually pronounced with a long vowel 어.

you're actually hearing JIN but in your head the word JIT appears because that's how it is written so somehow, your brain makes you think you're hearing JIT...

that's my personal theory, anyways. sweatingbullets.gif But you're not alone. Many Korean language learners faced the same problem before too.

Guest jessicaheesica

please help me to translate this one ^^ thx in advance..

"oppa, thanks for uploading our gift, those animal hats, through your twitter. i was extremely happy when saw that pic."

Guest nobody knows

hello ~

exactly what does 잉 mean?

I'm reading a korean webcomic (with the english and korean version opened up for comparison/to learn), and there's a panel where it's translated to say "please please please please" and in the original, it's just 잉잉잉잉

I know about 져발, but I heard in a video that it's more like a begging please and shouldn't be used too much. no mention about 잉 being used as please though ..

does anyone know? the exact translation of it, or at least the circumstances it should be just for?

Guest samgyubsal

hello ~

exactly what does 잉 mean?

I'm reading a korean webcomic (with the english and korean version opened up for comparison/to learn), and there's a panel where it's translated to say "please please please please" and in the original, it's just 잉잉잉잉

I know about 져발, but I heard in a video that it's more like a begging please and shouldn't be used too much. no mention about 잉 being used as please though ..

does anyone know? the exact translation of it, or at least the circumstances it should be just for?

잉 is a whiny sound. It's not really a word. So in the context of the webcomic, it's like a pleading whine, thus the "please" translation.

And I think you're referring to "제발" (not 져발).

Hope that answered your q somewhat...

Guest nobody knows

oops, yeah hahaha

i have to guess where the letters are on my keyboard and wasn't really looking v__v

oh.

looks like I won't be using 잉 .. LOL

thank you ~ so fast ~ ^^

Guest sudu1won

oh.

looks like I won't be using 잉 ..  LOL

thank you ~ so fast ~ ^^

잉잉 is actually a valid Korean word.

It's an adverb mainly used to represent the series of small, weak sounds, expressing unhappiness or pain made by kids.

so you can use it...of course not to yourself sweatingbullets.gif

since I can't see the whole comic page you're talking about, I can't really tell what exactly 잉잉 means there~

comic books are never translated directly because there are many nuances to consider.

Things like onomatopoeia, jokes etc

so you have to keep that in mind when reading Korean manhwa.

Guest sudu1won

please help me to translate this one ^^ thx in advance..

"oppa, thanks for uploading our gift, those animal hats, through your twitter. i was extremely happy when saw that pic."

오빠! 트위터에서 우리가 선물해드린 동물 모자의 사진을 올려주셔서 고마워요. 사진을 봤을땐 진짜 기뻤어요.

Guest nobody knows

the page is here and it's toward the very very end, in the last image

I know that there's a lot of untranslatable things between Chinese/English, so I try to take that into account >_<, but I just it for normal words/phrases, and to see how sentences are formed

Archived