The Hunger Games (2012 Movie)

Guest sbq

Guest karyee

I can't wait to watch the movie! Most people said good things about the film and it's doing pretty well with the ratings. Honestly I am so amazed at how some people can remember every single detail of the book o-o lol I've read the series once and just remember the main parts. I guess that means I'll be less disappointed while watching the movie! Yay me.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest HERMIT

I still didn't watch the movie yet... going to watch it this saturday but... BUTTTTTTT..... I did get a chance to meet Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson..... and man... Jennifer is GORGEOUS and josh... he may be short but dear lord he is a good looking guy. LOL.

Josh Hutcherson is short?  Nah, it can't be.

tumblr_m1agi9h0jS1ql94go.jpg

But on second thought:

71ir6e.jpg

I mean, I can understand she's wearing heels - but he's not that much taller than the girl that played Clove either?

Guest dreamy21

This movie was a disapointment. I wish it would have been picked up by a higher budget production team like WB. Character development was meh. And it looked kind of cheap.

Guest Starlitelet

I am still so obsessed about The Hunger Games. I'm not specifically talking about the movie, but the story/strong heroine, Katniss overall.

I went to see the movie with a couple of friends and all of us enjoyed it to a certain extent. I'd give this a rating of 8.5/10 as a standalone movie. Though, if I were to compare it to the book (which I've read twice), I'd say 7.5 or 8.

I'm thinking of bringing my parents to see it with me, but I'm not too sure if they'll like it. I want to go see it a second time to catch more details and get a final judgement of it.

By the way, was anyone bothered by the shaky camera technique? My dad tends to get dizzy really easily, so I'm not sure if it's best to bring him - haha. He's a movie fanatic like me though.

What would you guys rate it out of 10?

I mean for entertainment wise, I'd say a solid 9.5/10 for me. The movie went by so fast (I guess because I was really enjoying the ride). It felt like less than an hour instead of 2 hrs and 22 minutes for me.

I wish they developped more on Katniss and Peeta's relationship. They could cut out some kissing scenes and insert more interactions. I mean, I loved the interaction/funny conversations those two had in the book. I'm not saying that both the actors don't have any chemistry on-screen because they do. Though, they didn't have enough time to make me moved. I hope that'll change in the second movie.

Also, about the budget... I understand that they don't have extravagant amount of money and they need to garner the box office for this movie first. Now that news are hitting that it's one of the highest grossing movie on first weekend box office ... I believe after Harry Potter and The Dark Knight, I think it's safe to say that they'll improve on Catching Fire.

I am also so glad that they didn't show too much of Gale like in the book. I was afraid they were going to make it extremely obvious.

I also want to say that Jennifer Lawrence excels as Katniss. She perfectly embodies the role. She's the main point why the film is such a success. I mean the whole story does revolve around her.

Anyway, I've always been a fan of Josh Hutcherson and I loved him in here despite he doesn't have a huge role. I find he's genuinely charismatic like Peeta. Loved the casting!

Guest akira53

I went to the midnight showing on Friday.  I thought the movie came out great for one that's been adapted from the book.  Of course, the book is always better, and they did leave out a lot of details, but overall I really liked it.  I thought the visuals were amazing, and the acting was pretty good.  Character development was pretty poor, and I thought the movie was rushed overall even though it was 2 1/2 hours.  There were a lot of flaws in the plot and I was sad to see they left out the story behind the Mockingjay pin.  But I would definitely see it again (looked amazing in IMAX btw), and I really liked it.  Even though it could have been better, it was still entertaining and pretty accurate for the parts that were included.

Guest Starlitelet

I love the songs from Taylor Swift that she specifically made (with other peeps) for THG!

Taylor Swift - Eyes Open

^ Love this one! Totally reminds me of the scene where the kids were running around with the fake sword. The lyrics tremendously reminds me of Katniss/Clove in the wood.

Taylor Swift - Safe and Sound

^ This one is so haunting... it reminds me of Rue!

I love the movie. My only problem was the shaky camera in the beginning but despite of that, the movie was great. The actors were amazing. Jennifer Lawrence is just perfect for her character.

This is about the movie. Don't read if you don't want a spoiler.

I was holding back my tears when Katniss was there so save his sister in the reaping and when they were given 3 minutes to talk to each other with their mother and also when Rue died. I have such soft heart when it comes to scenes like that.

Guest Gofishus

I’ve never read the book, so after watching it here’s my thoughts. I think the story seemed like it jumped a long too fast, a common problem when adapting books to movies. Some characters are not fleshed out at all. There’s gore in the movie even though its PG-13. but overall it was an okay movie. If you’ve watched Twilight and Harry Potter, there’s more of the same teenage fiction here, though somewhat more mature. I still can’t help thinking the book should have been written with an Asian American or Hispanic American lead. The movie felt like it was out of the 1950s. I mean, mostly Caucasian crowd with some scattering of African Americans. If this takes place in the future United States, wouldn’t white people be a minority by then? But I’m sure even if the book did have Asians, Hollywood would never cast an Asian American actor for a blockbuster film, of course not.

Guest Starlitelet

I love the movie. My only problem was the shaky camera in the beginning but despite of that, the movie was great. The actors were amazing. Jennifer Lawrence is just perfect for her character.

This is about the movie. Don't read if you don't want a spoiler.

I was holding back my tears when Katniss was there so save his sister in the reaping and when they were given 3 minutes to talk to each other with their mother and also when Rue died. I have such soft heart when it comes to scenes like that.

Hi miyachan11 ^^!

Yes, the shaky cam bothered me throughout also. It really detracted from the action scenes at times. About the shaky cam at the beginning... I was afraid that the cam was gonna be like that throughout the whole movie, but luckily it didn't :sweatingbullets:.

@ the yellow parts: I felt the same as you!

I thought the first half of the film was better than the latter half. The latter half went by a little too fast for me.

By the way, I loved the chariot scene ^^.

I’ve  never read the book, so after watching it here’s my thoughts. I think  the story seemed like it jumped a long too fast, a common problem when  adapting books to movies. Some characters are not fleshed out at all.  There’s gore in the movie even though its PG-13. but overall it was an  okay movie. If you’ve watched Twilight and Harry Potter, there’s more of  the same teenage fiction here, though somewhat more mature. I still  can’t help thinking the book should have been written with an Asian  American or Hispanic American lead. The movie felt like it was out of  the 1950s. I mean, mostly Caucasian crowd with some scattering of  African Americans. If this takes place in the future United  States, wouldn’t white people be a minority by then? But I’m sure even  if the book did have Asians, Hollywood would never cast an Asian  American actor for a blockbuster film, of course not.

Hi Gofishus ^^!

The story did jump a little too fast, and this is coming from someone who has read the books. The first half was a little bit better paced, IMO. There was lack of character development, I agree. I find the content actually more mature than Twilight or Harry Potter, like you.

I don't understand why it bothers you that the lead is not an Asian - haha? If I remember correctly, the books never mentioned any Asian characters, but there were some Asian tributes in the movie. Anyway, it's an American story (Panem is located in North America, I believe) and it's written by an American author, so obviously she's more keen on creating a Caucasian heroine.

Why would you say white people would be a minority in the future? :unsure: I'm sorry if I sound clueless, but I'm curious. The author, Suzanne Collins, made THG world way, way, way in the future, so we don't know whatever happened to the other parts of the world. I can't really assume, since it's also a world mostly made of fiction.

I know there's been a lot of fuss about why Hollywoods don't hire Asian Americans as the leading role, but this doesn't apply to The Hunger Games because in the book Katniss is a Caucasian female. The Memoirs of the Geisha had an Asian female protagonist, and the Hollywood people chose an Asian actress to play that part, also?

I guess American authors are just used to writing Caucasian leads because they're Caucasian themselves. They don't want to mix in the culture aspect (perhaps because they're afraid that they might butcher our culture).

Guest Gofishus

Hi Gofishus ^^!

The story did jump a little too fast, and this is coming from someone who has read the books. The first half was a little bit better paced, IMO. There was lack of character development, I agree. I find the content actually more mature than Twilight or Harry Potter, like you.

I don't understand why it bothers you that the lead is not an Asian - haha? If I remember correctly, the books never mentioned any Asian characters, but there were some Asian tributes in the movie. Anyway, it's an American story (Panem is located in North America, I believe) and it's written by an American author, so obviously she's more keen on creating a Caucasian heroine.

Why would you say white people would be a minority in the future? :unsure: I'm sorry if I sound clueless, but I'm curious. The author, Suzanne Collins, made THG world way, way, way in the future, so we don't know whatever happened to the other parts of the world. I can't really assume, since it's also a world mostly made of fiction.

I know there's been a lot of fuss about why Hollywoods don't hire Asian Americans as the leading role, but this doesn't apply to The Hunger Games because in the book Katniss is a Caucasian female. The Memoirs of the Geisha had an Asian female protagonist, and the Hollywood people chose an Asian actress to play that part, also?

I guess American authors are just used to writing Caucasian leads because they're Caucasian themselves. They don't want to mix in the culture aspect (perhaps because they're afraid that they might butcher our culture).

Its not really the movie itself, its just a trend with blockbuster movies. I don't know why you think American = Caucasian, but its not. American = Caucasian, Black, Latino, Asian, Native American, Pacific Islander. Based on demographic trends in the US, hispanics and Asians are the fastest growing minorities, so I assume way into the future, white people will be a minority, why not? And I understand your point, but some Caucasian authors write about black people, so why not Asians? Why is it bothering me? Because Hollywood continues to stereotype my race (I'm Chinese), that's why. If you are Asian, are you not bothered by the lack of Asian representation in blockbuster movies?

Guest Starlitelet

Its not really the movie itself, its just a trend with blockbuster movies. I don't know why you think American = Caucasian, but its not. American = Caucasian, Black, Latino, Asian, Native American, Pacific Islander. Based on demographic trends in the US, hispanics and Asians are the fastest growing minorities, so I assume way into the future, white people will be a minority, why not? And I understand your point, but some Caucasian authors write about black people, so why not Asians? Why is it bothering me? Because Hollywood continues to stereotype my race (I'm Chinese), that's why. If you are Asian, are you not bothered by the lack of Asian representation in blockbuster movies?

I should have specified white Americans. I assumed you understood me when I generalized it to Americans in general. I know that Americans consist of various other nationalities.

We don't know what happened to the other countries that are not located in North America in Suzanne Collin's fictionalized future. Hence, I'm saying that I'm not going to assume that it parallels with our statistics/modern world anyhow. So who knows what happened to the other races. Besides, I'm still curious why the whole race issue bothered you in THG - haha. I look at entertainment/movies/shows (especially Americans) one based on characters... I tend to look pass the fact that there aren't many Asians. As long as they don't butcher my men/women, I am fine :).

I think some Caucasian authors write about African Americans because of the whole African American history that happened and they feel like there's history/relation between the two. As of for Asians, it's harder IMO. They never really had a "huge" history/connection/past with us (I might be putting myself up as a fool for saying this, since I'm not very informative on all of this). I mean how many times have we heard that Americans have butchered our people in movies? There has been plenty of complaints that perhaps they're afraid now. I don't know how to say it... but it's like asking why aren't there more South Asian (sorry, if I'm using some offensive terminology/words) stars either?

I do ask myself many times why aren't there more Asian stars? And if there are some Asian stars, they always come off as stereotypical. Though, I think society is adapting slowly. For example, Maggie Q is getting recognition not only for "Asian" roles.

Anyway, bottom line is that the world is not used to seeing all of the nationalities together quite yet (I believe). There's still a slight separation between Hollywood, Bollywood, and Asian entertainment which is most likely due to clash of culture.

Guest TiFFaNiZeD

I should have specified white Americans. I assumed you understood me when I generalized it to Americans in general. I know that Americans consist of various other nationalities.

We don't know what happened to the other countries that are not located in North America in Suzanne Collin's fictionalized future. Hence, I'm saying that I'm not going to assume that it parallels with our statistics/modern world anyhow. So who knows what happened to the other races. Besides, I'm still curious why the whole race issue bothered you in THG - haha. I look at entertainment/movies/shows (especially Americans) one based on characters... I tend to look pass the fact that there aren't many Asians. As long as they don't butcher my men/women, I am fine :).

I think some Caucasian authors write about African Americans because of the whole African American history that happened and they feel like there's history/relation between the two. As of for Asians, it's harder IMO. They never really had a "huge" history/connection/past with us (I might be putting myself up as a fool for saying this, since I'm not very informative on all of this). I mean how many times have we heard that Americans have butchered our people in movies? There has been plenty of complaints that perhaps they're afraid now. I don't know how to say it... but it's like asking why aren't there more South Asian (sorry, if I'm using some offensive terminology/words) stars either?

I do ask myself many times why aren't there more Asian stars? And if there are some Asian stars, they always come off as stereotypical. Though, I think society is adapting slowly. For example, Maggie Q is getting recognition not only for "Asian" roles.

Anyway, bottom line is that the world is not used to seeing all of the nationalities together quite yet (I believe). There's still a slight separation between Hollywood, Bollywood, and Asian entertainment which is most likely due to clash of culture.

sorry to interrupt. >< but I think Gofishus meant caucasians might be a minority in the US since there are more and more latinos and asians in the US now. where did you get the other parts of the world from?

but I do agree, asians are still the minority right now, and pretty stereotyped....would the movie still be this big if the heroine is asian?

and I must add, Jennifer Lawrence is hella hot *__* damnn.

Guest symphonee.

Liked the movie to an extent but thought delivery of some parts were weak, especially since they seemed like significant parts in the book.

- I felt like it was a good idea I'd read the book already since I was inserting all this extra info as I watched the movie. I thought some parts were pretty vague - particularly the beginning with the whole sponsors thing. That could have been explained better since sponsors are a big part of the games. But I guess there's only so much you can squeeze in 2.5hrs

- Katniss' survival skills were totally downplayed. I would've liked them to have had her search for the river at the start of the games and have her dying of thirst. Consequently, Katniss didn't seem that strong of a character to me because the games almost seemed too easy.

- The death of Rue didn't seem as sad because I felt like Rue & Katniss didn't have much of a connection

*** The thing I didn't like most is how they didn't make it clear in the movie that the star crossed lovers thing was part of their winning strategy. In the books, even though Peeta's actions were all out of real love, for Katniss, a large part of it was all strategy since she was coached by Haymitch. Katniss probably did develop some feelings by the end of the games, but for most part, the books portray it as Katniss following Haymitch's orders to have a better chance of gaining the sponsors' support. And because the movie lacked this, the ending didn't have Peeta questioning Katniss' motives. I thought that was a major flaw in the movie.

Don't know if I should read Catching Fire before the movie now. It'll probably help to come in with less expectations.

Guest itrayya

i haven't read the books or seen the film yet,

but regarding the Asian actors comments, there were a lot of Asians in the Capitol.

i was an extra on set and there were a lot of Asian extras as well, BUT we were Capitol citizens.

so... that means in their future, we're rich! haha. we live more wealthy. haha.

i know the casting director wanted more Asian background, i guess they just couldn't find more.

Guest Starlitelet

i haven't read the books or seen the film yet,

but regarding the Asian actors comments, there were a lot of Asians in the Capitol.

i was an extra on set and there were a lot of Asian extras as well, BUT we were Capitol citizens.

so... that means in their future, we're rich! haha. we live more wealthy. haha.

i know the casting director wanted more Asian background, i guess they just couldn't find more.

Hi itrayya ^^!

I'm so jealous!! You got to be on THG set? How did you get to be an extra? Did you meet some of the actors? Which scene(s) were you in?

I'm sorry for bombarding you with so many questions, but I'm so very curious - haha!

I did indeed spot some Asian people in the Capitol and there were some Asians tributes as well.

Guest itrayya

Hi itrayya ^^!

I'm so jealous!! You got to be on THG set? How did you get to be an extra? Did you meet some of the actors? Which scene(s) were you in?

I'm sorry for bombarding you with so many questions, but I'm so very curious - haha!

I did indeed spot some Asian people in the Capitol and there were some Asians tributes as well.

^^^ they filmed it in North Carolina and i live in Charlotte.

we filmed the scene where Katniss is being interviewed by Ceasar and she twirls with her 'fire' dress.

and also when the tributes are entering the city in the train and we're all outside waiting to see them enter the city.

the actors were really down the earth. they didn't act like divas or divos at all. haha.

J. Lawerence gives off such a down to earth vibe. when filming her scene, she did her best and was really normal.

Josh was also chill. we filmed when he entered the city after him and Katniss win?? i haven't seen the film yet.

and Lenny Kravitz, of course, is handsome and his vibe was also just down to earth.

seeing him in front of me... i just have more and more respect because he didn't act alll famous and divo at all.

to put it: they made me feel normal and not like a 'fan!' because they were friendly and simple.

sometimes Cato and Josh walked around the makeup/hair area and we didn't even notice or people didn't even 'care' because they were just chill.

i'm just proud to be a small, small, small, small, small part of the film.

Guest Starlitelet

^^^ they filmed it in North Carolina and i live in Charlotte.

we filmed the scene where Katniss is being interviewed by Ceasar and she twirls with her 'fire' dress.

and also when the tributes are entering the city in the train and we're all outside waiting to see them enter the city.

the actors were really down the earth. they didn't act like divas or divos at all. haha.

J. Lawerence gives off such a down to earth vibe. when filming her scene, she did her best and was really normal.

Josh was also chill. we filmed when he entered the city after him and Katniss win?? i haven't seen the film yet.

and Lenny Kravitz, of course, is handsome and his vibe was also just down to earth.

seeing him in front of me... i just have more and more respect because he didn't act alll famous and divo at all.

to put it: they made me feel normal and not like a 'fan!' because they were friendly and simple.

sometimes Cato and Josh walked around the makeup/hair area and we didn't even notice or people didn't even 'care' because they were just chill.

i'm just proud to be a small, small, small, small, small part of the film.

Thank you so much for responding (and so quickly) blush.gif!

I've always wondered how you get to be an extra though? Like, what is the procedure?

Anyway, sounds like you had lots of fun! Must have been a great experience too. I'm planning on seeing it a second time, so I'll be paying closer attention to those scenes - haha!

Yeah, the casts look very down to Earth. I especially admire Jennifer and Josh for their talents, since we're from around the same generation. By taking other celebrities around the same age into account, I think these two are very credible/charismatic. They have many more years ahead to become even greater actors. Not to say that they're already both outstanding actors. Jennifer is my role model!  I usually don't trust the media, but Jennifer and Josh totally seem like genuinely funny/friend people.

I'm glad that not all celebrities automatically think their fans are crazy people (I would understand if they do, though- haha). Like you put it, they treat you normal and not like some "fan".

You make me admire them even more now ^^!

I also like Elizabeth Banks ^^.

Guest itrayya

Starlitelet , i found the casting online when i was searching one day. i just sent in an email of my picture, size measurements, etc. and they called me to go in and have a wardrobe fitting and picture taken. then if you can commit to the days that they need you, you become an extra on set.

so i finally saw the film last night. i had nightmares!!!

it's difficult to discuss it without spoiling it for those who haven't seen it yet.

i thought it was so gruesome. i was squealing when they were fighting and just... killing each other 0_0

i had never imagined it would be like that. when the game started, it was a completely silent scene... sccuuuurrry!

all i got to say is that Cato.... fierce!

when Rue died, i didn't cry, but when they showed her dad and his reaction, i lost it.

it was soooo sad and that scene brings out the parents' point of view. cried a river.

i think Katniss reflected all the feelings that a young girl would be feeling. i felt the terror.

i think all in all, Jennifer Lawrence did really well with the emotions.

and i have a question regarding Peta. maybe those who read the books can chime in.

when he is with Cato and the group, does he really mean to have Katniss killed????

it feels like Peta is a complete scardy cat and will do what it takes to survive, even turning on Katniss.

i'm confused about his character's mindset and strategy.

and regarding Cato and the group.... i found it... weird? that one of them didn't turn on the other, behind their backs or even when they were sleeping. do they plan to kill every one and then have a fight amongst themselves??? that totally baffled me.

my husband was mad that Gale did not volunteer after Katniss did during the reaping. right?! haha.

and Gale told her to make a bow if she had to and Haymitch told her not to get the bow, but somehow... she just forgets about a weapon when she's in the woods... the movie didn't even give the audience a chance to see that Katniss can make her own bow or that she can make some sort of weapon to survive. she was making all those traps but they weren't given a chance to be used in the film.

AND, i felt the ending could have been better.

like how they mentioned Peta's strength, he coulda easily carried Cato and thrown him down without Katniss' help.

i felt sorta unsatisfied? with the film. i think i need to read the book because i have so many questions.

Glimmer could have died in a more... better way???

i really wanted Katniss to have a chance to kick Clove's butt!!!!

Guest Starlitelet

Starlitelet , i found the casting online when i was searching one day. i just sent in an email of my picture, size measurements, etc. and they called me to go in and have a wardrobe fitting and picture taken. then if you can commit to the days that they need you, you become an extra on set.

so i finally saw the film last night. i had nightmares!!!

it's difficult to discuss it without spoiling it for those who haven't seen it yet.

i thought it was so gruesome. i was squealing when they were fighting and just... killing each other 0_0

i had never imagined it would be like that. when the game started, it was a completely silent scene... sccuuuurrry!

all i got to say is that Cato.... fierce!

when Rue died, i didn't cry, but when they showed her dad and his reaction, i lost it.

it was soooo sad and that scene brings out the parents' point of view. cried a river.

i think Katniss reflected all the feelings that a young girl would be feeling. i felt the terror.

i think all in all, Jennifer Lawrence did really well with the emotions.

and i have a question regarding Peta. maybe those who read the books can chime in.

when he is with Cato and the group, does he really mean to have Katniss killed????

it feels like Peta is a complete scardy cat and will do what it takes to survive, even turning on Katniss.

i'm confused about his character's mindset and strategy.

and regarding Cato and the group.... i found it... weird? that one of them didn't turn on the other, behind their backs or even when they were sleeping. do they plan to kill every one and then have a fight amongst themselves??? that totally baffled me.

my husband was mad that Gale did not volunteer after Katniss did during the reaping. right?! haha.

and Gale told her to make a bow if she had to and Haymitch told her not to get the bow, but somehow... she just forgets about a weapon when she's in the woods... the movie didn't even give the audience a chance to see that Katniss can make her own bow or that she can make some sort of weapon to survive. she was making all those traps but they weren't given a chance to be used in the film.

AND, i felt the ending could have been better.

like how they mentioned Peta's strength, he coulda easily carried Cato and thrown him down without Katniss' help.

i felt sorta unsatisfied? with the film. i think i need to read the book because i have so many questions.

Greetings itrayya ^^!

Is THG the first time you were on set or have you been in other projects previously? What got you interested, if you don't mind me asking?

The content/material of THG is gruesome within itself. If you thought the movie was terrifying, the book portrays it even more graphically!

The riot scene in district 11 right after Rue's death was actually not in the book. Though, I'm glad they added that scene because it created more impact on the whole situation.

The casting for Cato was great. In fact, I believe the actor, Alexander Ludwig, originally auditioned for the role of Peeta, but didn't get it. Hence, he got the role of Cato instead. Overall, I thought the casting was outstanding. A lot of strong performances all-around. Though, Jennifer Lawrence was the best without a doubt. I mean she literally carries the movie on her shoulder (ok, maybe not literally - haha).

To answer your questions...

Peeta originally joined the Careers because he wanted to keep tab of Katniss. In case the Careers were up to something, he'd be able to save/inform Katniss. Also, he knew that the Careers would keep him alive as long as Katniss is still alive. Peeta literally had no intention of hurting Katniss. In fact, he risked being in the Careers to benefit Katniss. I don't think Peeta is a coward/scaredy cat. He's brave in his own way to actually work his way up to join the Careers. I don't think there has ever been a low district that made it in with the Careers. The Careers are made up of Districts 1,2,3... I believe. Anyway, Peeta is definitely scared of entering the games, but not for the typical reasons we would think. If you recall, he said something along the line of not wanting to be a pawn of the gamemakers... that he still wanted to be himself. I thought he was overly open about that when most people would be freaking out about who to kill/ how to kill. Instead Peeta is scared of losing the humanity within him. I honestly believe he's the purest human being in THG. Overall, in simple, his goal was only to protect Katniss no matter what the cost was...

In the book they went into more detail with why the Careers form an alliance at the beginning of every games. The sole reason is obviously so they could survive and kill off the weaker ones. Then when they're the only ones left, they'd turn on each other eventually. The idea is totally insane, but it makes sense. Though, you can say that they don't care about each other AT ALL. You see this throughout the movie, such as the tracker jacker scene and the bomb scene. Cato had no problem leaving behind some of the Career tributes despite them calling for help (like Glimmer). Cato also has no problem disposing useless Career members. He broke the poor kid's neck who created the mine because he failed to secure the food portions. Note that, within these man-made arenas, these kids aren't just fighting against each other, but against "natural"/"not-so-natural" causes either. So it's actually better to stay in a pack to ensure longer survival. Then again, you'd have to be somehow useful to their pack.

Gale cannot volunteer in Katniss's stead. You can only volunteer to take the place of a person that is the same gender as you. For example, Katniss was able to volunteer for Prim because she was her sister and not brother. Also, Gale wouldn't volunteer for Peeta anyway because then there would be no one left protecting their families. Katniss is entrusting her friend, Gale to take care of her family while she is away. Gale also has a large family... I don't know if that was mentioned in the movie. I don't remember. Anyway, if both of them went into the Hunger Games, then no one would be keep their families safe.

I think Gale originally told Katniss to make a bow because he was afraid that the arena wouldn't supply her with a bow. And Haymitch told her not to get the bow ONLY when she was at the Cornucopia originally. The reason for this is because there would be a massive bloodbath and he didn't want Katniss to get kill/kill herself to just get a bow. His advice was to go find water because it would be the main priority for survival over a bow. It's true that they didn't go into much more about building traps and all when they did practice for it during the training days. I don't think Katniss had time to make her own bow anyway. Besides, she got Glimmer's bow pretty early in the games.

I don't think Peeta got a chance to show his strength much in the arena because like he said earlier, it's hard to go on a hand-to-hand/face-to-face combat with someone who mostly holds a weapon of some sort. Strength is not the ideal tactic in this arena (in my eyes at least). I noticed near the end, where there were just them three left on the Cornucopia... Peeta did successfully throw Cato down many times just before Cato grabbed hold of Peeta. Maybe Cato held Peeta at a point where it was impossible for Peeta to maneuver pass his hold? Anyway, you also have to consider that not all these kids are built to fight. Peeta was a baker's son, who had no knowledge of survival skills. He was just lucky that he possessed the talent of camouflaging himself - haha!

The book definitely goes into much more details. Though, you might be even more disappointed if you read the books then saw the movie. I don't know. I thought it was a great movie for a first novel that will be made into four movies ^^.

I'm sorry if my post was all over the place. :sweatingbullets:

Guest lualm

i so love The Hunger Games. I have been ignoring the raves about the books for years but I just couldn't let the chance to see the film pass by. I ended up buying the trilogy set because I can't wait for 2013 to know the sequel and God knows when they're gonna be able to finish shooting Mockingjay. Loving every part of the books! I will be forever thankful to the filmmakers for making me see what I have been missing!

I love how the romance part has been luring a lot of fans and yet it is not the main plot. Love the subtlety of it all. No over the top confessions nor cheesy lines that make you cringe. Just a plain and simple goal of getting each other out of the arena alive.

:wub:

Whoever cast Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss should be given proper credit! She looks right perfect for the part!

And Peeta, Peeta, Peeta. I've been raving about him. Everyday. Never mind the height. Josh, you got a new fan in me! Whohoo!

Archived