The Hunger Games (2012 Movie)

Guest sbq

Official First Look: Jennifer Lawernce as Katniss (p.4)
Fans of the book will glad or maybe unhappy to know the book is turning into a series:

From Wikipedia

'Lionsgate Entertainment acquired worldwide distribution rights to a film adaptation of The Hunger Games, which will be produced by Nina Jacobson's production company Color Force. Collins adapted the novel for film herself, and her script is being revised by screenwriter Billy Ray. It is anticipated to have a PG-13 rating. Alli Shearmur, Lionsgate President of Motion Picture Production, and Jim Miller, Lionsgate Senior Vice President of Motion Picture Production, will be in charge of overseeing the production of the movie. Shearmur said:

"The Hunger Games is an incredible property and it is a thrill to bring it home to Lionsgate. This is exactly the kind of movie I came to Lionsgate to make: youthful, exciting, smart and edgy. We are looking forward to working with Nina and Suzanne to create a movie that satisfies audiences' hunger for high-quality entertainment."

The film will be directed by Gary Ross and will have a budget of $60 million. The film hopes to go into production in late Spring 2011 and will be released March 23, 2012. '

Jennifer Lawerence is Katniss

Katniss.jpg

jennifer-lawrence-022711-3.jpg

Josh Hutcherson is Peeta

Josh_Hutcherson.jpg

Liam Hemsworth is Gale

liam-hemsworth-23-3-10-kc.jpg

UPDATE

Elizabeth Banks is Effie, Dayo Okeniyi is Thresh and Amandla Stenberg is Rue.

thg-casting-update.jpg

Levin Rambin is Glimmer and Jack Quaid is Marvel

District1.jpg

Willow Shields is Primrose

Primrose.jpg

Woody Harrelson as Haymitch Abernathy

Woody-Harrelson.jpg

Paula Malcomson as Mrs. Everdeen

PaulaMalcomsonasTrixie.jpg

Stanley Tucci as Caesar Flickerman

stanleytucci.jpg

Wes Bentley as Seneca Crane

wes-bentley.jpg

Lenny Kravitz as Cinna

lenny_kravitz_02.jpg

Searching for pictures of other District kids who have been cast. Will post soon!

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest rachilde

Weirdly, I can imagine Kirsten Stewart in the role of Katniss. Katniss is super socially awkward...and so is Kirsten Stewart. Stewart would be terrible for the movie though (seeing as her acting is awful--though she can really do the deer in headlights look), but she has the tomboy vibe that Katniss does. I can also imagine Hailee Steinfe in the role after her performance in True Grit. It's kind of tough, because I can't think of many young actresses who can both act and look the part. Dakota Fanning and her sister are certainly great actresses--but they would never be able to fit the role because of their facial structures.

I really can't think of anyone to play Peeta. I don't want a hunky hunk playing him, but I don't want Michael Cera to play him either!

I don't know much about young actors/actresses though. The cast definitely needs to be a very specific age because the characters are so young. Unfortunately, most of the talent is older! Think about how amazing The Hunger Games movie would be if the book had older characters (20s-30s) and we could cast a Natalie Portman-aged actress? It would really widen the film's horizons!

And, of course, I'm completely against anyone from Harry Potter acting in this film, even though they are at the right age for it. How distracting would it be to watch this film and think, "There goes Hermione breaking out in a run!"

To start this topic of, I am going to give ideas of which actor/actresses I think will be ideal for the movie

For Katniss

Hailee Steinfeld

hailee-steinfeld.jpg

Kaya Scodelario

600full-kaya-scodelario.jpg

Lindsey Shaw

7afc4259.jpg

For Peeta

Alex Pettyfer (as he is only actor I can think of with blonde hair and blue eyes) I am not too keen on him though!

AlexPettyferSurferHairstyles.jpg

Autin Butler (just thought of him)

Austin-Butler-04.jpg

For Haymitch

Hugh Laurie

House_Hugh_Laurie-711333.jpg

Robert Downey Junior

robert-downey-jr.jpg

For Effie

Kristin Chenoworth

Kristin9.jpg

For Rue

Willow Smith

willow-smith.jpg

This starts it off. What do you think? What about other charcters? Can you think of any better actors?

I agree Rachilde I don't want to see any of the Harry potter or twilight stars in this film. The Twilight actors are really bad!

Guest GRAPEJUICE

Kaya Scodelario is first choice for almost every fan out there, apparently. After having watched some fan videos on youtube, I completely agree. She has that rare combination of ferocity + vulnerability. Personally, I first thought of Camilla Belle, but I tend to think of her for almost every book I read lol. =)

And definitely Alex Pettyfer. To be honest, he doesn't fit how I imagined Peeta at first, because Peeta is described as pretty stocky and medium height. I imagine big arms and a broad, open, friendly face. Pettyfer is way too sexay and tall, but I would definitely enjoy a hot, drool-worthy Peeta in the movies.

For Haymitch, I imagine Robert Downey Jr. like everybody else, but also maybe Alec Baldwin.

For Prim, I imagine Ellie Fanning.

As for Gale, who cares?

Guest kurayzeexivy

ethan-peck3.jpg

Ethan Peck as Gale

I think he fits Gale perfectly! Has a big, strong build and good looking!

511px-LyndsyFonescaSDCCJuly10.jpg

Even though Lyndsy Fonesca is kind of older than Katniss, I think she can easily look the age and play the character well, too.

And I second Robert Downey Jr. as Haymitch! And as for Peeta, I would love Alex Pettyfer to play him. He is a bit more muscled and good looking than I imagined, but when I try to think of other actors I think of really lanky, California- sunkissed, blond boys and I would never want Peeta to be like that.

• 2 weeks later...

PEETA has been CAST. Look at my first post to see an image of him. He has nice eyes but he does not look like Peeta. he looks more like Gale. Maybe he will dye his hair.

Chloe Mortez is rumored for Katniss

What do you think?

Guest kurayzeexivy

I will be very upset if he doesn't dye his hair blonde...I've always imagined him blond and I really hope that isn't ruined. As for the actor himself, he looks okay. Can't really see what his physical body looks like so I can't really say anything. Chloe Moretz seems.....too young for Katniss.

Guest pikasaki

That's not even close to how I pictured Peeta. He looks a bit too old.

Chloe Mortez for Katniss? She looks too young.

I agree on Kaya Scodelario or Emily Browning for Katniss.

a8fe701ea56e3175e4f4800aabbcc409.jpg

Guest drella;

just finished the first book moments ago & was wondering if there would be a movie & here's a thread already.

a little disappointed about Peeta tho, not how I imagined him :/

Hey everyone the Peeta may not real because I got from imdb and lately they are posting wrong information.

Chloe is young she would be better off as Prim but it's only rumoured.

Guest Justalilodreamer

not sure if im looking forward to this at all :wacko: kinda saw it coming, but I was hoping it wouldn't happen.

Not familiar with Kaya Scodelario, but I gotta say she seems to be the best choice out of all the others. Her nose kind of bothers me but I like her sharp features. Not liking the guy castes for Peeta. what's up with all his myspace style pictures?? Can't even find a decent pic of him, he looks like a typical high school kid :/ chloe moretz seems away too young, she definitely fits the role of Prim though.

Guest tofu plushie

I don't know who I would wanted cast for each part, but I am excited about this movie and I am curious if it'll actually deliver. It's kind of disappointing when a good series is adapted to the movie screen ends up looking unimaginative.

Guest hunterheart

I'm already disappointed. I don't like him as peeta. I imagined peeta... different? Anyway, I hope they get katniss right. If they cast KS I will kill myself.

Guest pikasaki

“Gabriel Liotta is not playing Peeta. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We had removed it and it appears he has placed himself back up onto the site.”

- Lionsgate

I hope they cast good actors/actresses! Apparently Gabriel Liotta isn't a confirmed cast member. Good thing because I think Alex Pettyfer is PERFECT for the part. I could definitely imagine him as I was reading. I love Kaya Scodelario as Katniss! There's no image in my mind for Katniss, but that picture of her certainly sticks well! KS better not be considered for this at all...I can't even IMAGINE her trying to do any of the scenes during the hunger games.

Guest pikasaki

Most people are pointing to Hailee Steinfeld now for Katniss. I've seen several videos where she's "in talks with Gary Ross for upcoming projects". but honestly I'd be disappointed if she was cast, even though I don't doubt she is a good actress. I honestly can't see her as Katniss though, she just seems too young and 'soft'.

Most people are pointing to Hailee Steinfeld now for Katniss. I've seen several videos where she's "in talks with Gary Ross for upcoming projects". but honestly I'd be disappointed if she was cast, even though I don't doubt she is a good actress. I honestly can't see her as Katniss though, she just seems too young and 'soft'.

I can understand your reservations but if you've watched her in True Grit, she is amazing. I really hope she gets the part.

Guest sprezzatura

Sorry to all the Pettyfer fans, but he better not be getting the part. I mean, yeah, he's a good-looking fellow, but Pettyfer does not fit the physical description of Peeta.

Archived