The Hunger Games (2012 Movie)

Guest sbq

I saw Hunger Games and having not read the book, i give the movie 3/10.

I went into the theater expecting some kind of psychological thriller where 20 kids are pitted against each other in a last man standing free-for-all kill everything to the last death. After all, if you think about it, what really goes on in the mind of a person who has to be the last person standing out of 20? Put into a game against their free will? What kind of raw human emotions would be revealed about humans in a life ending desperate situation?

Instead, what i was presented with was a teenie bopper flick that was filled with holes in its story line and a severe lack of intelligence in its twists and turns. What a MAJOR disappointment.

Is anyone old enough to remember Gladiator with Russel Crowe? THAT is what i was expecting. Purchased as slaves and then thrown into the Roman Colosseum to fight and kill for the pleasure of the audience, we saw human defiance. We saw raw human emotions. We saw thrilling realism. We saw an Oscar winning instant classic!

Hunger Games was effin BS. The main character is all like, "i don't believe in these games. I don't like it." and then, "oh, i'll just participate because some dude told me so. I'll try to get sponsors." WTF? It's your life we're talking about here! It's your life they are playing around with! Grab the bow and shoot an arrow between the eyes of the organizers!! Hunger Games over!! Hero! Right? But no, she plays submissively along despite a character that's suppose to be kick richard simmons, stubborn, defiant, and cool.

When it came to the games itself, they should've had Rue "pretend" to be helping but then back stab the main character, or was really working with the bad guys. They should've made good guys and bad guys virtually indistinguishable so the next death would remain unpredictable throughout the games. Instead, it was clear from the beginning the majority of them would die and only a couple main characters would live. They should've did more character development so when characters died, we would cry for them or cheer for it when it happens. Instead, characters appeared for 1 to 2 scenes and was dead, leaving you to be like, "who the hell was that? Was he/she important?" There should've been more conniving sneakiness, betrayal, everybody for themselves, and yet, everybody in defiance of the games itself.

And lastly, the games itself lacked integrity. The controllers get to determine who they want dead at virtually any time. They can launch fireballs, set up booby traps, and send in the dogs. It wasn't even a fair fight to begin with. So given that, it's so unreal that participants would cooperate and participate. There should be riots about how unfair the games are staged.

Lastly, the ending. One of the most pathetic endings i've ever seen. They should've picked the main character's BF to go to the Hunger Games instead of some dude who had a crush on her. Can you imagine two lovers forced to kill each other?! Holy intense! Psychologically captivating. Movie made for the ages. But instead, no, the movie ends with the two going back to their sector/hometown and we get awkwardness between the main character and her BF. LAME!

Terrible movie overall. Absolutely recommended so that you know what i am talking about and so that you will be able to form a new low to compare other movies against.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest b2stbaaby

And lastly, the games itself lacked integrity.  The controllers get to determine who they want dead at virtually any time. They can launch fireballs, set up booby traps, and send in the dogs.  It wasn't even a fair fight to begin with.  So given that, it's so unreal that participants would cooperate and participate.  There should be riots about how unfair the games are staged.

I'd like to clarify something: You said that it wasn't a fair fight to begin with and you are completely right. The fact that the controllers get to determine who they want dead is a part of how cruel the games are supposed to be. It demonstrates how the people of the Capitol merely see the hunger games as, well, just 'games' despite all the kids that are losing their lives in such a devastating way. This is exactly what the author wants people to see and feel... and she has obviously succeeded.

When you say that it is unreal for participants to participate, you may not have been able to pick it up in the movie but in the books it is made known, clearly, that the Capitol overrules every other district. I can't remember if there are examples of it or not, but it is literally implying that the districts don't have a choice but to compete, because if they disobey then they will be punished. There was a short part of the film at the beginning where they talk about District 13, which is shown to be completely empty- this is the doings of the Capitol. It is shown that they destroyed an entire district and wiped out the entire population (of that district) and they can do it again. This is why the participants comply. As for the riots... well the next two books (the third one in particular) actually demonstrates something along the lines of this.

Anyway, I respect your opinion and it's totally fine that you didn't like the film. I haven't actually read a negative review as thorough as yours and it was quite a good review lol (despite you disliking the film). 

Guest graceyoon

i agree with tuffcore about the other kids in the games... even though they were minor characters, i think at least more details about who they were woulda helped so that we could connect with them somewhat and even feel sorry them because they were just kids too... i didn't even know what kid was from what district and that brunette girl who i thought died earlier, was actually a different brunette when she reappeared near the end

i think if you don't really know exactly what the book is about, it'll either leave you confused or underwhelmed.. i saw it twice though lol.. i liked it the second time around

Guest Starlitelet

i agree with tuffcore about the other kids in the games... even though they were minor characters, i think at least more details about who they were woulda helped so that we could connect with them somewhat and even feel sorry them because they were just kids too... i didn't even know what kid was from what district and that brunette girl who i thought died earlier, was actually a different brunette when she reappeared near the end

i think if you don't really know exactly what the book is about, it'll either leave you confused or underwhelmed.. i saw it twice though lol.. i liked it the second time around

Hi graceyoon ^^!

In the book, Suzanne Collins didn't dive into the other tributes' minds either. We just saw them for how they acted in the arena, and got a hint of their personality. In a way, the movie focuses only on Katniss. It's always Katniss here, and Katniss there. So whatever we saw of the tributes were what Katniss saw of them (movie and book).

I actually liked how the Gary Ross and Suzanne Collins left the other kids to our imagination. In a way, it shows how the Capitol (us viewers included) didn't see them as kids, but rather characters from a video game being discarded/dead. There was not much emphasis on them because they were merely objects/obstacles for our main video game character, Katniss. At least, that was how I perceived it.

I'd like to clarify something: You said that it wasn't a fair fight to begin with and you are completely right. The fact that the controllers get to determine who they want dead is a part of how cruel the games are supposed to be. It demonstrates how the people of the Capitol merely see the hunger games as, well, just 'games' despite all the kids that are losing their lives in such a devastating way. This is exactly what the author wants people to see and feel... and she has obviously succeeded.

When you say that it is unreal for participants to participate, you may not have been able to pick it up in the movie but in the books it is made known, clearly, that the Capitol overrules every other district. I can't remember if there are examples of it or not, but it is literally implying that the districts don't have a choice but to compete, because if they disobey then they will be punished. There was a short part of the film at the beginning where they talk about District 13, which is shown to be completely empty- this is the doings of the Capitol. It is shown that they destroyed an entire district and wiped out the entire population (of that district) and they can do it again. This is why the participants comply. As for the riots... well the next two books (the third one in particular) actually demonstrates something along the lines of this.

Anyway, I respect your opinion and it's totally fine that you didn't like the film. I haven't actually read a negative review as thorough as yours and it was quite a good review lol (despite you disliking the film). 

What's unreal for me is if a person was selected to be sacrificed in order for their district to be saved from punishment, then why be sad they were chosen? They should be happy to go to the Hunger Games and be honored to represent their district. Also, if the person knew they had no chance to live because the games were rigged, then why even try to win? There's no integrity in the games that would encourage participants to actually put on a good show. Why run to the edge of the map when you know they won't let you run to the edge of the map? Why do wrong while inside the games and risk disgracing your district when you know everybody back home is watching you?

The whole movie just left me asking "If this, then why that? Why? Why? Why?"

The first scene of the movie should have been all 20 kids rising from their pods and onto the battle field. Some kids will die right away but others scatter off. From there, the director should've spent the next 3 hours of the movie using scenes of the organizers to show the rules of the Hunger Games and scenes on the battlefield to do character development.

Amongst the surviving participants, we would see alliances form. The director would tell stories of each character and their districts by the use of such things as flash backs or jumping to scenes from their districts. Good guys and bad guys would be indistinguishable in the beginning. The audience wouldn't know who would die and who would die next. From there, we see betrayals. We see true character of each person come to the surface. We see characters switch alliances or get murdered by their own alliance. We see one good character and one bad character emerge as the audience's favorites and the two will last through to the end where we are treated to a battle finale.

It should've/could've been something like that but instead, the storyline was so linear. The audience was never treated to a thrill ride by having the main character put into any real inconvenience but instead, watched as she conquered simple obstacles that had unintelligent solutions such as a jar of skin ointment hanging above her head right when she needed it.

To top it all off, the main character wasn't even an interesting character nor was she representative of the average person where we can relate to and go through an emotional rollercoaster with. She was portrayed as a tough big sister who was cool, defiant of rules, and so awesome with the bow and arrow but at other times, she was a loser who had no friends, couldn't hit a target if her life depended on it, and had no sense of direction for strategy for much of the games. She is portrayed as smart and decisive but yet much of her actions were coached and/or fluke decisions. Her character inconsistencies were difficult to follow throughout the movie.

It seems like you have to read the book in order to really understand what's going on but a good movie adaptation shouldn't require this. Look at the Harry Potter series for example. You didn't have to read a single one of their books and the movies were good. The only reason I didn't give this movie a lower rating than 3/10 is because Woody Harrelson completely nailed his part in a supporting role.

Guest HERMIT

The only reason I didn't give this movie a lower rating than 3/10 is because Woody Harrelson completely nailed his part in a supporting role.

What part?  I thought Harrelson just wandered onto the set and was just being himself.

Like you, I didn't read any of the books.  I didn't know that his disheveled, drunken gimmick was part of the characterization; I thought he had just turned to drink from reading the script.

What part?  I thought Harrelson just wandered onto the set and was just being himself.

Like you, I didn't read any of the books.  I didn't know that his disheveled, drunken gimmick was part of the characterization; I thought he had just turned to drink from reading the script.

It's entirely possible that whoever casted him for the part was the one who nailed it completely.

Guest b2stbaaby

What's unreal for me is if a person was selected to be sacrificed in order for their district to be saved from punishment, then why be sad they were chosen?  They should be happy to go to the Hunger Games and be honored to represent their district.  Also, if the person knew they had no chance to live because the games were rigged, then why even try to win?  There's no integrity in the games that would encourage participants to actually put on a good show. 

I can't answer your first question but the contestants from District 1 (the Capitol), District 2 and I think District 4 actually volunteered to represent their district anyway, so there were a couple of kids who did feel 'honored'. 

I'm assuming they would want to try to win since it would mean that they would be able to go back to their homes and be with their families again. They didn't exactly have 'no chance' of winning since the games has to have a winner. Again, from the information in the books, there were examples of where the least expected person had won in previous games, so I guess that would have given the kids some hope.

When they game makers intervened and launched the fireballs and dogs, that was supposed to assist with putting on a good show for the viewers. Or else, the kids could have just hidden away from each other for the days and the viewers would have nothing interesting to watch... wouldn't that be even more of a bore?

It seems like you have to read the book in order to really understand what's going on but a good movie adaptation shouldn't require this.  Look at the Harry Potter series for example.  You didn't have to read a single one of their books and the movies were good.

Everything I just quoted above ^ is definitely true. I'm not actually sure if I would have liked the movie as much as I do if I had not read the books...... but because I did read them, the movie was still a great one for me.

Guest itrayya

^^ HAHA!!! all i can think of is that Bear Grylls is like Rue.

tough crowd to pick from... um... Xena is a princess... Uma Thurman Black Mamba... hum....

I can't answer your first question but the contestants from District 1 (the Capitol), District 2 and I think District 4 actually volunteered to represent their district anyway, so there were a couple of kids who did feel 'honored'.

I'm assuming they would want to try to win since it would mean that they would be able to go back to their homes and be with their families again. They didn't exactly have 'no chance' of winning since the games has to have a winner. Again, from the information in the books, there were examples of where the least expected person had won in previous games, so I guess that would have given the kids some hope.

When they game makers intervened and launched the fireballs and dogs, that was supposed to assist with putting on a good show for the viewers. Or else, the kids could have just hidden away from each other for the days and the viewers would have nothing interesting to watch... wouldn't that be even more of a bore?

So why would all the tributes run to the middle of the blood bath to grab weapons when they have watched Hunger Games before in the past and know that it's a trap? Why would they run to the edge of the map when they know it will be blocked off? Why would they not work harder on killing each other when they know the dogs will enter the game when the show nears the end? Why don't they prepare for the sending of the dogs? Why would they eat poisonous berries when surely, someone else has eaten poisonous berries before in the past?

Why would anyone who has watched the Hunger Games for generations upon generations be so lost as to how to win the Hunger Games?

Who would win?

*quoted image*

I gotta go with experience. I'm taking Katniss cause she's won it all before.

• 4 months later...
Guest xosandy

I haven't read the trilogy but the film left me feeling disappointed. So predictable! Katniss just didn't seem to put up much up a fight and without the help of the sponsors I don't know if she would have made it out alive. The cave scene made me wince. Cheesy. -.- I don't really understand why the film is all the rage but hopefully the books will prove me wrong.

Guest citylights.

Tuffcore said: So why would all the tributes run to the middle of the blood bath to grab weapons when they have watched Hunger Games before in the past and know that it's a trap? Why would they run to the edge of the map when they know it will be blocked off? Why would they not work harder on killing each other when they know the dogs will enter the game when the show nears the end? Why don't they prepare for the sending of the dogs? Why would they eat poisonous berries when surely, someone else has eaten poisonous berries before in the past?

Why would anyone who has watched the Hunger Games for generations upon generations be so lost as to how to win the Hunger Games?

• 3 months later...

itemprop="headline" style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 1.833em; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: 1.05em; color: rgb(59, 55, 59); padding: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 5px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"'The Hunger Games: Catching Fire' teaser poster releasedA new teaser poster for The Hunger Games: Catching Fire has been released.
Francis Lawrence takes over from Hunger Games director Gary Ross for the sequel, which begins with Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence) and Peeta (Josh Hutcherson) on a "Victory Tour" following their triumph in the first film.
'The Hunger Games: Catching Fire' poster
Liam Hemsworth, Woody Harrelson and Elizabeth Banks are among the other returning cast, while Sam Claflin and Jena Malone join the cast as new tributes Finnick Odair and Johanna Mason.
Philip Seymour Hoffman also appears as new Gamemaker Plutarch Heavensbee. 
It was announced last year that the film's arena sequences have been shot using IMAX cameras.
Francis Lawrence will also direct final installment The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, which will be divided into two films to be released in November 2014 and 2015. 
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire will be released on November 22.
Source

• 1 year later...

Hunger Games director: 'We didn't get over Philip Seymour Hoffman's death'
untitled_1.jpg
The producers and director of The Hunger Games - Mockingjay Part 1 have discussed the impact that the loss of Philip Seymour Hoffman had on the crew, cast and movie.
The trio were speaking exclusively to Digital Spy on the red carpet at the worldwide premiere of the film last night (November 10).

Director Francis Lawrence told DS that Hoffman's death was something that none of the cast or crew got over, while producer Nina Jacobson said that it was "unspeakably awful and so unimaginably surprising and devastating".
Meanwhile, producer Jon Kilik, as well as Lawrence and Jacobson, also discussed on-set challenges and the phenomenon of The Hunger Games movies.
Source

• 2 weeks later...

itemprop="headline" style="font-family: ProximaNova-Light, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 2.25em; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: inherit; line-height: 1.11111em; box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-stretch: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); word-wrap: break-word; letter-spacing: -1px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"Jennifer Lawrence sing Mockingjay's 'The Hanging Tree'Jennifer Lawrence's version of 'The Hanging Tree' has been uploaded to YouTube. 
Featuring in Mockingjay - Part 1, Lawrence's rendition of the song takes lyrics from Suzanne Collins's novel.

The melody was created by 'Ho Hey' hitmakers The Lumineers. 
In the film, Katniss Everdeen (Lawrence) sings 'The Hanging Tree', a song she learned from her father when he was alive.
Director Francis Lawrence revealed that the actress was "horrified" about having to sing in Mockingjay, but said her performance was "great".
Mockingjay - Part 1 is out now, while Part 2 is due for release on November 20, 2015.
Source

• 2 months later...

Hunger Games: The Exhibition to debut in New York this summer
An exhibition based on the Hunger Games film franchise is scheduled to open in New York this summer.
The traveling exhibit, developed by movie studio Lionsgate in collaboration with Imagine Exhibitions Inc, will open on July 1 at Discovery Times Square and is set to run until January 3, 2016.
Jennifer Lawrence The Hunger Games Catching Fire poster

According to Coming Soon, the exhibition has been designed by Thinkwell Group and will provide visitors with an immersive Panem experience.
"Through a dynamic series of interactives, never before seen content, and immersive environments, guests will connect to The Hunger Games in a one-of-a-kind experience," said Jenefer Brown, Senior Vice President of Location Based Entertainment at Lionsgate.
"The application of the film's science, technology, and real world problem solving also translate to a valuable educational experience that will resonate with school groups and visitors alike."
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

As well as costumes, props and set recreations from the films, the exhibition promises to offer hands-on elements and insights into the creative processes and technology that helped bring the novels to life on the big screen. 
Comprising seven galleries - 'District 12', 'Tribute Train', 'The Capitol', 'Making the Games', 'District 13', 'Fan Gallery' and 'Katniss's Journey' - the exhibit will enable attendees to view the 'Girl on Fire' dress, the 'Mockingjay' dress and the 'Mockingjay' armor worn by star Jennifer Lawrence during filming.
The iconic Mockingjay pin, Cinna's design sketchbook and Katniss's bow will also be on show, and other attractions are said to include an explorable map of the Panem nation, a gamemaker's control table and an interactive stunt choreography area.'The Hunger Games: Catching Fire' still: Jennifer Lawrence and Peeta Katniss

Following its eight-month run at the Times Square venue, the exhibition will embark on a global tour. 
Tickets are due to go on sale April 21 with prices starting at $22.50, but a pre-registration window will open on February 24.
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2, the final installment of the hit film series, is due to be released worldwide on November 20.
Lionsgate recently confirmed that the climactic finale will also be released in IMAX 3D.Source

• 1 year later...

Archived